Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I mean Piper also said a bunch of racist poo poo so there was probably a lot of personal heat exacerbating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

natetimm posted:

He actually kind of fell off the radar during parts of it. Part of the problem of that era is that the main event revolved around Hogan so much and since they kept feeding him guys that there wasn't really an established #2. You had Hogan and whoever he was feuding with, and then any combination of mid-lower card guys involved in various feuds of various lengths on the undercard. Warrior eventually became the #2 guy built up for the match in Toronto but he managed to make himself such an annoyance that he didn't really stay up there very long.

In other words, exactly the same dynamic as the last 8 or 9 years.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Going through the mid 90s WWE pay per views, I've started to notice some people who are in a lot of different crowds.

Including one man who I believe is referred to as Faith No More guy. Black, long hair and black glasses and a black leather jacket. I've seen him at a lot of ECW events and always thought he was part of that crew. Anyone know the story behind this guy?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spikeguy posted:

Going through the mid 90s WWE pay per views, I've started to notice some people who are in a lot of different crowds.

Including one man who I believe is referred to as Faith No More guy. Black, long hair and black glasses and a black leather jacket. I've seen him at a lot of ECW events and always thought he was part of that crew. Anyone know the story behind this guy?

He was a big fan of Foley, and I remember him being in the RAW crowds a lot when Mankind first debuted .

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spikeguy posted:

He was a massive ECW fan, he's front and center in the vast majority of their shows. If memory serves, he's also dead center on the hard cam for the Bret/Shawn Ironman match too.

But everyone knows the best recurring fan is Vladimir the Super Fan :colbert:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

He was a massive ECW fan, he's front and center in the vast majority of their shows. If memory serves, he's also dead center on the hard cam for the Bret/Shawn Ironman match too.

Another person I noticed was a guy who always wears a bright pink shirt. I saw him first at the Undertaker HBK match at 25 I think, and I keep spotting him as I go further back through the archives. He keeps getting skinnier and gets more hair.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
How the gently caress did the Harris brothers ever get work with one of them having an SS tattoo? I'm watching ECW from 94 against Public Enemy and I saw it on his bicep. I read about it but I guess I had to see it to believe it. Did he get it quickly removed when he realized that no one would ever hire him if even Paul E. refused to work with them?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The American Dream posted:

How the gently caress did the Harris brothers ever get work with one of them having an SS tattoo? I'm watching ECW from 94 against Public Enemy and I saw it on his bicep. I read about it but I guess I had to see it to believe it. Did he get it quickly removed when he realized that no one would ever hire him if even Paul E. refused to work with them?

I think they got them covered up but uhhhh one of them got in trouble for wearing an SS t-shirt in TNA years later. And I read on some web forum that one of them has half of a nipple thanks to plastic surgery.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

VogeGandire posted:

The best in double double e.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Capsaicin posted:

The best in double double e.

I miss Todd Grisham he was cool.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Speaking of fans, I wonder what happened to Tie Dye Guy.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Perfidus posted:

Wasn't the last we saw of him, him turning his back on a Triple H main event?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Before:

After:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul fired them for wearing a SS shirt to a show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

They got their jobs in TNA because they were friends with Jarrett. I'm not sure if that's how they got their WCW jobs to, but I imagine so.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Before:

After:

I've seen that top picture in TEW and had nooooo idea it was the same Tori I remember from the WWF.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Before:

After:

Changed her hair, eyebrows threaded, and either stopped flaring her nostrils or got a microscopic amount of work on the sniffer. This isn't exactly Face/Off 2.

E - no the Nose had work, I can see the change in the bridge.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 15, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spikeguy posted:

Its weird since I was first exposed to ECW watching the One Night Stand PPVs and seeing that Jim Martin look a like in the front row and then watching old ECW episodes and there he was sitting in the same spot all the time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It kind of looks like her cheeks were done too, though it could be makeup/lighting. Holy poo poo though, I take it back, they sure did make her look more like Sable.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hockles posted:

Wasn't the last we saw of him, him turning his back on a Triple H main event?

Wait, that was Tye Dye guy? The fat mullet guy in an orange Sandman jersey turning his back on an episode of RAW?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Perfidus posted:

Pretty sure I saw him on NXT Arrival

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Heyman would actually be one of the people least likely to work with them because of that, as he's not only Jewish but the son of a Holocaust surivior.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

Michael Hayes actually took responsibility for that.

I am shocked to hear this. Shocked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume the Harris Brothers getting so many opportunities in WWF, WCW, ECW, and TNA just goes to highlight the ignorance and disregard in wrestling. Even with Heyman's obvious reasons to hate them it just seems like the nature of this business is to keep your head down and don't raise a stink about what assholes people are. Whether someone beats his wife or preys on young women or abuses rookies in the shower or are literal Nazis. It only seems to become an issue in wrestling when someone starts to flaunt it or does something stupid like that thing where a Harris showed off a SS shirt. And even then it probably comes down to whether it affects business to cut you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
iirc Paul fired the poo poo out of the Harrises as soon as they said poo poo about a nazi gimmick. I would imagine that they got hired by other people after that because Paul never said anything about why he fired them and nobody ever bothered to call him up and ask him. Since I doubt anybody in WCW or WWF was in the habit of talking to Heyman for any reason, outside of the periods WWF was working with him.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Given the type of crowds that attend Hall of Fame ceremonies, what are the chances that there are some chants about Bruiser Brody during Carlos Colon's induction?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

edotherocket posted:

Given the type of crowds that attend Hall of Fame ceremonies, what are the chances that there are some chants about Bruiser Brody during Carlos Colon's induction?

I'm hoping Luke Harper inducts him, or the crowd chants for Harper while he stands up slightly confused.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I though the HOF was more strict and if you get rowdy/obnoxious they toss you.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

In other words, exactly the same dynamic as the last 8 or 9 50 years.

Seriously, this has been the WWE's M.O. since the beginning. Complaining about it now would be like complaining about the sun rising in the morning.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Seriously, this has been the WWE's M.O. since the beginning. Complaining about it now would be like complaining about the sun rising in the morning.

I've just now really understood that it was the case with the Attitude Era- shades of grey aside, Austin really was their #1 hero guy (see the RAW episode just recently up on the Network where he saves Stephanie from the Undertaker.) It's just that a bunch of other people were over at the same time, which is the real rarity. (And Austin had time off for injury so they had to push other people as well.)

I'd love to read a year by year history of the WWF/E done similarly to Death of WCW. So many things came together partly as a result of them just being desperate to avoid bankruptcy.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

The Croc posted:

I though the HOF was more strict and if you get rowdy/obnoxious they toss you.

Some people got tossed last year for completing Booker T's famous "We're comin' for you, _____" line.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I decided to buy Shawn Michales new DVD (Because I'm a HUGE HBK Mark)

Right now he is talking about him and Marty Jannetty. What was the problem with Marty? How come he never had the staying power of HBK?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 15, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

I decided to buy Shawn Michales DVD (Because I'm a HUGE HBK Mark)

Right now he is talking about him and Marty Jannetty. What was the problem with Marty? How come he never had the staying power of HBK?

Drug addiction

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, he got suspended for being hosed up, then came back, won the IC title, got suspended again like two weeks later for being hosed up. That was it for his ever being pushed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Drug addiction

True or not, this is a pretty funny explanation for someone not having the staying power of HBK.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HBK was a coked up addict, but at least he was vaguely functioning. Like, he was a primadonna, but he could go out and do his job with some degree of competency.

There's an early episode of RAW where Janetty shows up and just looks completely loving out of it. Ain't nothing but a hamster wheel and cobwebs behind them eyes.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Endorph posted:

HBK was a coked up addict, but at least he was vaguely functioning. Like, he was a primadonna, but he could go out and do his job with some degree of competency.

There's an early episode of RAW where Janetty shows up and just looks completely loving out of it. Ain't nothing but a hamster wheel and cobwebs behind them eyes.

Was Bret ever into hardcore drugs in his career?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His big addiction seemed to be ring rats.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
from what I gathered from Bret's book he did roids and weed but that is pretty much baseline for his generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

He definitely used to be hooked on pain pills going from his book. "Pills and vodka" is mentioned on nearly every page.