Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

He's not stupid, he's psychotic.

His reality isn't our reality. There's a reason that psychosis has a bad rap. He'll never function well according to our rules when they make about as much sense to him as his standards do to us.

This is why he needs lots of professional help, that for some reason he thinks he'll get on the internets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

spacing in vienna posted:

How did he break the rules previously? I missed that. (Or is that where he failed to acknowledge his story because he lost?)

I know that in at least one case he edited his story after submitting it, and that's a big no-no.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
30 replies to Benny's thread - surely he got a job offer at Sears and everyone is congratulating him, right?

:ughh:

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
So, Benny. Can we get an explanation on the Thunderdome gently caress-up and the job situation?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress has this thread gotten to 115 pages? How did this man garner this much sympathy / interest from goons. I need to know, because holy poo poo.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How the gently caress has this thread gotten to 115 pages? How did this man garner this much sympathy / interest from goons. I need to know, because holy poo poo.

Because it's an eternal Greek tragedy: we know that everything is going to go wrong, and it keeps going wrong, but never stops.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

The General Manager at the Olive Garden told me I'd get a call back by next week to speak with the district manager. So just like Sears, I'm waiting for a call back. And no, I didn't give a thank you note.

thats not how Darden Restaurants hiring process works

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

JakeP posted:

thats not how Darden Restaurants hiring process works

What's the usual chain of events?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598931&pagenumber=46#post426962330

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

CravingSolace posted:

So, Benny. Can we get an explanation on the Thunderdome gently caress-up and the job situation?
I've been making calls to Sears but I haven't gotten through to human resources. As for the Thunderdome thing, I skimmed the prompt and didn't see the rule of not reaching out for help from other posters on the thread. And instead of coming clean, I stupidly tried to lie my way out. I'm bowing out this week instead of trying and probably digging myself in a deeper hole than I already am in.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Croc Monster posted:

What's the usual chain of events?

The Service manager interviews and hires servers and service staff. Maybe the GM might interview, but the District manager has nothing to do with hiring low level employees, they hire managers and poo poo.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been making calls to Sears but I haven't gotten through to human resources. As for the Thunderdome thing, I skimmed the prompt and didn't see the rule of not reaching out for help from other posters on the thread. And instead of coming clean, I stupidly tried to lie my way out. I'm bowing out this week instead of trying and probably digging myself in a deeper hole than I already am in.

Classic Benny the Snake

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Benny you're a goddamn embarrassment. Thunderdome isn't about how you look to people or 'digging yourself a hole' or whatever the gently caress, it's about being a better writer.

Which of the following is going to make you a better writer?

(1) Writing a drat story, accepting your critique gratefully, and doing better next time.
(2) Not writing a drat story.

I mean heck even if you think for some reason your goal should be to impress us, 'writing a story' is a pretty good place to start with that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

Benny, please learn a thing for once. You are absolutely lovely at lying and every time you try to "lie your way out" of a situation you make it worse.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, dude. Ultimately it's utterly inconsequential whether you try to redeem yourself in a writing contest that exists entirely for fun and self-improvement, but next time you "stupidly try to lie your way out of something" it might cost you a longstanding friendship, or a job. (You know, the way it cost you a job once before?)

So, next time you think "hey, I'll just lie my way out of something it will be awesome" or whatever passes for your thought process when this happens, think of the Thunderdome Incident. Think of how easily you were caught, and how ridiculous it made you look even somewhere where the stakes are ridiculously low. Remember how incredibly bad you are at lying, and consider "not lying" as an alternative strategy.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Way to just give up and roll over, Benny.
God drat.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm ashamed in myself. I lied over nothing. I sent my story to two of my old professors to look over and I was waiting for their responses. I was proud of what I wrote. And now I'm now bowing out in complete shame. But what bothers me the most is the fact that I'm starting to become I'm a habitual liar.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 14, 2014

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm ashamed in myself. I lied over nothing. I sent my story to two of my old professors to look over and I was waiting for their responses. I was proud of what I wrote. And now I'm now bowing out in complete shame. But what bothers me the most is the fact that I'm starting to become a habitual liar.

Maybe you should bring this up at your next therapy appointment.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ Haha beaten to it! I'm still gonna leave it in my post, because redundancy = ever so slightly greater chance that Benny will read it.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm starting to become a habitual liar.

You sure you haven't been one your whole life and are just starting to realize it?

"Habitual liar" would explain a shitload, in regards to why you misinterpret things. It could also be a coping mechanism. It could literally be the cause of all your issues, the coping strategy or both.

Tell your therapist "I think my lies are contributing towards my constant misinterpretation of information. I'm not sure how long I've been using lies to cope, but I feel that it's become a problem and would like to address it."

Hopefully you'll do this, because the next 40 posts are gonna be people laughing at you and calling you a moron.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

cname posted:

You sure you haven't been one your whole life and are just starting to realize it?
I learned to lie to get out of trouble at a young age and it became a habit to the point where I lied to that manager at Target. I told her "I don't remember" when she asked me if I hit that car and it didn't occur to me that the parking lot was monitored by security cameras while I was lying. It was an automatic reaction: I trained myself to do so. And now instead of coming clean to the TD judge that I read past the rule about asking for help from other Thunderdomers, I lied automatically. I didn't think about the consequences: I just thought about getting myself out of trouble. I can't take it back so I bowed out in order to avoid loving up further.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Benny, real talk here: your executive function is impaired. You make terrible decisions constantly. Lying is just one of the terrible decisions you make.

You need to talk with your therapist about this.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

AlbieQuirky posted:

Benny, real talk here: your executive function is impaired.

Reminder: Benny thinks he'd made a good COLLEGE PROFESSOR.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Benny: write the loving story, then post it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind I get it now. You are a trainwreck.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Benny: write the loving story, then post it.

We can have our own Lil thunderdome right here in e/n.

Oh and Benny, exactly how many times have you called Sears?

Calling more than twice in a week will make you look like a nut, so if you did call too many times you may have hosed yourself out of job. Especially after the whole thank you note fiasco.

Moderation dude moderation, you seem to always be in either first gear and spinning your wheels or barreling along at 140 mph in sixth gear.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Turtlicious posted:

Nevermind I get it now. You are a trainwreck.

I have no idea what it'd take to catch up on the thread now, but it has been quite the ride. It's like a wild rollercoaster that hasn't even left the station.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I learned to lie to get out of trouble at a young age and it became a habit to the point where I lied to that manager at Target. I told her "I don't remember" when she asked me if I hit that car and it didn't occur to me that the parking lot was monitored by security cameras while I was lying. It was an automatic reaction: I trained myself to do so. And now instead of coming clean to the TD judge that I read past the rule about asking for help from other Thunderdomers, I lied automatically. I didn't think about the consequences: I just thought about getting myself out of trouble. I can't take it back so I bowed out in order to avoid loving up further.

Benny everything you post is bullshit.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
He's back in thunderdome: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598931&pagenumber=46#post426968530 :unsmith:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Because it's an eternal Greek tragedy: we know that everything is going to go wrong, and it keeps going wrong, but never stops.

This is a perfect description. In most tragedies the hero hits Ate where the hero screws everything up and is ready to be wiped out for his sins but in Benny's case neither the gods nor a mortal adversary moves in to gracefully remove him from the stage. Think Macbeth where his kingdom falls except Macbeth never dies afterwards and instead goes on to try unsuccessfully to push shopping carts.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Jeffrey posted:

I have no idea what it'd take to catch up on the thread now, but it has been quite the ride. It's like a wild rollercoaster that hasn't even left the station.

About a month ago I read this thing from start to finish, it was enthralling I could not stop reading to see how Benny would gently caress up his next job. And lo and behold he managed to do it every single time. It was really great.

Priestess Cashmere
Oct 9, 2012

Yikesaroo
Jesus Christ, I can't believe I'm posting in this thread again.

Benny, I'm glad you feel ashamed of being caught in your stupid lies. Most people at your age have long since figured out what I am about to tell you, but it seems you haven't, so here goes:

When someone, especially a person with authority over you, brings to your attention a complaint or concern about your behaviour or performance in any situation, professional or personal, you can engage them in conversation. It is, you may be surprised to learn, something you can do. Don't just react with whatever lovely defense mechanisms you have developed over the years, interact with that person as a person. Use your mouth words. Admit fault if you are at fault. Apologize, sincerely, for misdeeds. Have a discussion about how you can improve, what went wrong, why you did what you did, etc. Don't act like a child being scolded, who doesn't even understand why what he did wrong and trying to passively mitigate the negative outcomes before slinking off to lay low.

"Benny, did you ram a train of shopping carts into a customer's vehicle?"
"Uhhhh... I don't remember."
"That's interesting because the CCTV remembers. You're fired."

vs.

"Benny, did you ram a train of shopping carts into a customer's vehicle?"
"I'm so glad you brought this up. Yes, I did. I'm sorry that I didn't report it but I panicked because I was concerned for my job. I know that was wrong. What is the usual procedure when something like this happens? Are there any conditions under which you are willing to continue to employ me?" etc. etc.

Do you see the difference? You might (probably) still get fired either way, but at least in the second one you reacted like an adult (ignoring the fact that for this scenario to happen you first had to childishly fail to report your mistake, which OH HEY is what happened in real life).

Priestess Cashmere fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 15, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

benny, this is you lying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EVzoolYugA

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Benny the Snake posted:

You only regret lying because you're terrible at it and got caught.

Like someone else said, every single thing you post is bullshit: half-truths that are responses only to the easy, tee ball questions that you think you can explain your way out of (or around or whatever). (Which explanations, by the way, aren't fooling anybody because they sound like they came from a 3rd-grader trying to explain away a D to his mom.)

I guess I'm rooting for you, but please make some effort to show that you actually want to improve your life. Start by telling the (whole) truth.

edit: what Priestess Cashmere says applies to everything in life, including this thread

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 15, 2014

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

If it's a skill you've been training from a young age to the point where it's instinct, you should be way better at it. You're like Benny the Incompetent Sociopath or something.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

God Over Djinn posted:

(1) Writing a drat story, accepting your critique gratefully, and doing better next time.

Systran and I both made line crits of his previous story and received zero thanks (and definitely no thank you cards).

It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that Thunderdome may be brought up in a psychotherapy session.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Benny the Snake posted:

instead of coming clean, I stupidly tried to lie my way out.

This is a recurring issue with you. What did your parents do that made it so hard for you to be honest when you mess up?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Systran and I both made line crits of his previous story and received zero thanks (and definitely no thank you cards).

It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that Thunderdome may be brought up in a psychotherapy session.

"So these big meanies on the Internet got mad when I didn't follow their dumb ol' rules about writing stories and yelled at me and a bloo bloo bloo"

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Benny I have a job related question for you. When I wrote out these words

Queen Elizatits posted:

Sorry more words. Another thing that may help you is Sears is really big on hiring people from within the company. I started out taking orders and ended up in marketing, PR, and purchasing. Which I am sure is shocking because I know I type like an idiot. So if it's something you are still wanting to be paid for writing you might really enjoy marketing. Plus it's a good way to answer that "where do see yourself in five years" question. "I've heard there is always room for advancement within Sears and ideally I would see myself still working for this company something something something"

Did it ever cross your mind to ask me for advice or maybe even a reference? I live like an hour away from you and when I worked with Sears Corporate I spent time working with the CEO at the time Dene Rogers. Mr. Rogers only resigned a few years ago meaning that your store manager has probably heard of him I would hope. I mean who knows if name dropping would have done you any good but I am just curious why it didn't occur to you to try. It wouldn't be the first time someone has used an internet person as a reference and I probably could have come up with some words about how I thought you would be a good fit with the company.

I mean I sure wouldn't give you a reference now but do you know anything about networking?

Oh also good to know you were in fact lying about how many people critiqued your last story.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 15, 2014

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Queen Elizatits posted:

Benny I have a job related question for you. When I wrote out these words

Did it ever cross your mind to ask me for advice or maybe even a reference? I live like an hour away from you and when I worked with Sears Corporate I spent time working with the CEO at the time Dene Rogers. Mr. Rogers only resigned a few years ago meaning that your store manager has probably heard of him I would hope. I mean who knows if name dropping would have done you any good but I am just curious why it didn't occur to you to try. It wouldn't be the first time someone has used an internet person as a reference and I probably could have come up with some words about how I thought you would be a good fit with the company.

I mean I sure wouldn't give you a reference now but do you know anything about networking?

Oh also good to know you were in fact lying about how many people critiqued your last story.

Did you completely forget the part where, when this thread was in it's infancy, Benny failed to go to the "afterparty" of his candidate's campaign where they were handing out reference letters, and then refused to try and remember or make contact with anyone related to try and get his foot back in the door? If I remember right, a goon even offered to help him because the person in question was also in political circles and was willing to help him out.

Benny the Snake posted:

Also I stepped into the old campaign office and talked to Jon the campaign director. I'll be receiving my letter of recommendation soon. On top of that he gave me some interesting advice. Go to one of the other two campaigns that's in the runoff and offer my services (neigborhood canvasing, data entry, phone banking, intern corralling, etc.) for pay. Since I have previous experience and two people I can use as great references (Jon and my former candidate), I feel confident that I might be able to pull this off.

But then...

Benny the Snake posted:

...Funny story about my campaign letter: I don't have it. The campaign manager, Jon, told me that he sent an email way back in April saying that my candidate was gonna hold a picnic to celebrate and hand out the letters...which I missed completely :cripes:. I've been trying to get a hold of Jon for weeks now and he won't pick up. Email, texts, phone calls, it doesn't matter. So all I have to go on my campaign volunteering is a contact. I need that loving letter. I've tried to contact my candidate directly but there's a lot of run around since he works in a county office. It's why that's not on my resume. So what volunteer experience do I have on there?...

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
What are the odds Benny didn't actually work on that campaign?

• Locked thread