Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Vincent Valentine posted:

The problem is that they DO all have a use, and you need practically all of them. You need a way to generate rabbits, a way to sacrifice and a way to permanently buff them. If any link in the chain dies(and they will) then it all falls apart. Grand Concubunny is really good, but when everything else is so easy to kill you generally save your good removal for her and Hop'hiro.

I'm talking Limited, not Constructed. And in Limited, no, you don't need all of them to win the game. If you're not in imminent danger of losing the game, dropping Uzume and not getting her immediately killed nets you so much card advantage that it quickly becomes very difficult for most opponents to do anything to you. Even the 1/1 guys that only give you a health when your troops die are useful when all you have to do is stall to win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

tijag posted:

I think the deckbuilder is horrific. Considering how small the card pool is now and how slow it is, I'm not super confident in how it will perform as they add additional sets.

To be honest, if they really wanted to fix the deck builder right now, all they'd have to do is make it start with everything turned off--it goes near-instantly it's not having to load hundreds of cards, in fact, the first thing I do when I open up the builder is run a search for charge bot or something that'll only load up one card, then turn everything off and it goes really quick after that.

I put this in as a suggestion months ago but I haven't heard a thing about it.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, if they really wanted to fix the deck builder right now, all they'd have to do is make it start with everything turned off--it goes near-instantly it's not having to load hundreds of cards, in fact, the first thing I do when I open up the builder is run a search for charge bot or something that'll only load up one card, then turn everything off and it goes really quick after that.

I put this in as a suggestion months ago but I haven't heard a thing about it.

Seriously, the card data should not load that slow. It loads cards up slower than Google Image search loads up images. GIS is loading images over the internet and at the speed of my sorta crappy broadband.

One thing I've noticed is that Hex doesn't do any sort of multi-threading that I can tell. That would seemingly be a highly parallel task, to use each core to load up a specific image.

Really though, your workaround suggestion is only required if they plan on shipping the final game with an embarrassingly bad deck builder.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Do we have any idea how many cards are left in the set? Also, are there any good sites for putting together decks? I've got a few friends who don't want to play until the PvP set is pretty much done, and I want to show them how much is there now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

tijag posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Hex doesn't do any sort of multi-threading that I can tell. That would seemingly be a highly parallel task, to use each core to load up a specific image.

Depends on how high the non-parallel overhead involved is. Amdahl's Law is a harsh mistress.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Loading a jpg or whatever image format they are using, one on each core, is not a difficult to accomplish level of parallelism. Lightroom uses multiple cores to import RAW files or to export JPG's etc. I can't imagine that this would be that difficult to accomplish for CZE.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I have to imagine that "make the images load faster" is pretty low on their list of poo poo that needs done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Go RV! posted:

I have to imagine that "make the images load faster" is pretty low on their list of poo poo that needs done.

I kinda disagree, the slowness of the deckbuilder is a major pain for me at least. You sit down to build a deck and it takes forever. It's a major roadblock to starting play if you've taken a little hiatus and need to rebuild your decks.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I kinda disagree, the slowness of the deckbuilder is a major pain for me at least. You sit down to build a deck and it takes forever. It's a major roadblock to starting play if you've taken a little hiatus and need to rebuild your decks.

I agree. The deckbuilder is a barrier to entry. I go to make a deck [probably a really bad one since i'm terrible at card games] and it's so slow and frustrating and unintuitive that I never finish and just end the game.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

QFT, when I actually launch the alpha to check out updates like "new card frames!" or "more legible text scaling!" I just use the lovely prebuilds vs AI - because using the deck builder feels like pulling teeth :(

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

That's really strange, the only issue I have with the deckbuilder is the initial start-up load time and that's only like thirty seconds to load all cards. A little annoying, but nowhere near the level you guys seem to have. Is it possible that certain(or most, apparently) hardware setups just don't play well with it?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Vincent Valentine posted:

That's really strange, the only issue I have with the deckbuilder is the initial start-up load time and that's only like thirty seconds to load all cards. A little annoying, but nowhere near the level you guys seem to have. Is it possible that certain(or most, apparently) hardware setups just don't play well with it?

I'm running the game on a Quad Haswell with 512GB SSD for the storage.

There is no excuse for 30 seconds loading the cards initially, the gem socket UI is horrific, the filters both quick and advanced are terrible. I think that #1 priority needs to be the game not crashing, but #2 priority should be making a polished and easy to use deck builder.

This one is garbage.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the interface stuff because optimization should be pretty straightforward - fixing gameplay bugs and new features are a much better use of their programmers time

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Seconding that it's super annoying when coming back after a while. I want to look through the cards and see whats new and it's painfully slow to sift through them, also I considered Doing a sealed but again, not having the images load properly is a bit a of a deterrent.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I agree the slow deck loading times is one of my biggest peevs. It's a little better now, but I used to have to set it to words only when making a new deck because most of the cards didn't load in for minutes.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Just won my first Sealed Tournament! :toot: The second one I've played to reach the end, though the first was only by winning the first two rounds by default.

Really, when you open up 4 Savage Raiders and 2 Fang of the Mountain God, what do you build besides Blood/Ruby Aggro?

Xentoth's Inquisitor only ever came out once, and Mortar Strike was never useful enough to play it, so may avoid it in the future. I even won one game with a 1 mana hand that had a Ruby and 3 Savage Raiders in it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Damnit Toast. I just want to actually play through a tourney. :smith:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Draft day!!!

:awesome:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

oh god drafting is live and i have the day off tomorrow :pcgaming: :woop:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yessssssss. I hoped that this patch would have drafts since they've been working on pack opening lately and this patch was a full week late. Gonna do so many drafts. EDIT: Or at least I will when the servers come back up Servers up!

Zurai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Oh snap yall, thanks for the heads up! :bubblewoop:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

First drafted deck: mono-blue artifacts with an ingenuity engine, slaughtergear, two worker bot factories, two technical geniuses, two gearsmiths, and even some removal :getin:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Interestingly in the 'How to Draft' article they confirm the platinum entry fee is 100 so we now basically know for sure that 1 plat = 1 cent US

Also Draft woooooo! :woop:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Welp, I drafted a good deck but saving it is not working. Here's hoping it doesnt fail horribly when the timer runs out.

e: denied :smith:

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 13, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Drafted a pretty good deck I think (double Cloud Titan), but I forgot how awful the deckbuilder is. The only way to reorganize cards is to remove and readd them, there's no option to organize by cost or by color, multiples aren't explicit...

Huge huge mess.

Then I won my first round without playing a game (not a bye), the tournament servers got patched and I decided I didn't want to sit around waiting to see if the client was willing to allow me to play a game.

Other minor annoyances include the window not being resizeable or maximizing, leaving important things under my toolbar; the window not showing up unless I minimize Firefox; and my chatbox minimizing often and completely randomly.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 14, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Other minor annoyances include the window not being resizeable or maximizing, leaving important things under my toolbar

Alt-Enter is your friend.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Drafts are in? Time to get back into the game.

I wonder if they'll actually let me finish a tournament.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I havn't had any problems with tournament stability since the previous patch two weeks ago.

Incidentally, people leave robot decks wide open in draft right now. I was just able to draft a deck with Slaughtergear, a Dwarven Armory, a Worker Bot Factory, an Ingenuity Engine, a Research Librarian, three Gearsmiths, a War Hulk, two Pterobots (and was passed two more that I wish I'd taken instead of the red stuff I was flirting with), a Turreted Wall, two Mesmerizes, two Time Ripples, and an Eternal Guardian. Everything but the Guardian and the Librarian were passed to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a Doppelgadget. In one game I managed to get out both the Guardian and the Doppler. Pretty sick. Won that tournament handily.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 14, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I didn't pick up on it right away but boosters in Hex are only 14 cards - 11 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare (plus the treasure chest which we wont be able to really evaluate until PvE comes in)

edit: I guess it's just because my memories of cracking boosters in MTG is from back around Urza's where it was 15 cards, apparently nowadays they all include 14 real cards + a land

Grim fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 14, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

No, they're 15 cards. I always end up with 45 cards in my draft decks.

Man, I'm loving draft even with the people that forfeit to re-draft. Latest draft:

P1P1 opened a Wrathwood Colossus and not much else of note, decided to go big and just snag all the ramp I saw. P1P2 got a Moon'ariu Sensei, nothing great, but worth grabbing. P1P3 I got a Malice Demon. Seriously, two people passed Malice Demon in the very first pack. WTF?

Didn't get too much else of note in pack 1, except that I had to choose between doubling up on going big by pursuing black more or taking a detour into white for a couple decent cards I picked up out of otherwise dead packs. Ended up choosing black for a Claw of the Mountain God (5/4 for 3 that hits you for 2 every turn). I didn't get any ramp at all in pack 1 and was sweating a little thinking that someone else was snagging the Howling Braves and Chlorophylias.

Pack 2 I open up a Howling Brave and a Chlorophyllia... and a High Tomb Lord. Made me glad I picked black, but at the same time I was giving up ramp for it. Still went big. In the rest of the picks I ended up snagging a total of 3 Howling Braves, 1 Chlorophyllia, 1 Hex Engine, a Hideous Conversion (I gambled on that wheeling all the way to last pick and it paid off), 2 Adaptable Infusion Devices, a Tyrannosaurus Hex, and a Droo's Colossal Walker.

First game my opening hand is wild source, wild source, howling brave, chloro, hex engine, wrathwood colossus, survival of the fittest. :getin: Ended up with a turn 5 Wrathwood and my opponent had absolutely nothing to deal with it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 14, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The dummy store page lists 14, weird

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is Flock of Seagulls supposed to be stupid bonkers powerful? My opponent blocked my giant guy with Crush and took no damage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Some Numbers posted:

Is Flock of Seagulls supposed to be stupid bonkers powerful? My opponent blocked my giant guy with Crush and took no damage.

I *think* that's correct actually but I remember there being some debate about it on the bug forums. Keep in mind it's really vulnerable to any stat lowering effect or to "destroy" type effects. It's a good counter to Crush but otherwise pretty limited.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm just confused since the game is so tightly based on Magic and in Magic, a card like Fog Bank would not prevent Trample.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Crush was going over flock of seagulls / bird o plenty but they changed it in the latest patch along with a few other things - maybe they're just testing it out? I agree it seems a little silly, but on the other hand there is no reason to stick with the MtG way of doing things just for the sake of it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Grim posted:

Crush was going over flock of seagulls / bird o plenty but they changed it in the latest patch along with a few other things - maybe they're just testing it out? I agree it seems a little silly, but on the other hand there is no reason to stick with the MtG way of doing things just for the sake of it

That's what I needed to hear. If it's intentional, that's totally fine. I was thinking it might be a bug.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Grim posted:

I kinda disagree. Mtg has taken a long time to get to the point it's currently at, and it's proven itself to be a pretty clean system for how ridiculously complicated it is. They marketed this game as mtg online but not bad, but they seem pretty eager to tinker with things they might not necessarily fully understand. I really hated when they tried to get rid of the upkeep step and I'm not a fan of this either. I just don't trust them to have the intimate knowledge of the game mechanics required to tinker with the system and have it be an improvement. Not yet, anyway.

E: maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but 'why change what ain't broke' was my gut reaction

OBi fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 14, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Apparently Lixil and Briggadon already blocked crush completely, so I don't think this is a change of plan so much as a fix to a long-standing minor bug.

e: And honestly this behaviour makes more sense anyway. Under these rules Crush means that any damage left over after killing all the blockers goes through to the champion - invincible blockers behave exactly as you'd expect. You can't kill them, so no damage goes through.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 14, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Another thing that's kind of head-tilting, but not bad, is that triggers just sort of...happen. They don't go on the "stack" and resolve, they just occur.

I have no strong preference for either Hex's or Magic's method of dealing with triggers, it's just...different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So I played a draft. For both my opponent and me, it decided to give us the white add +1/+1 hero, and put all of the cards available to construct the deck into our deck.

So we each had 100 resources and the junk cards we didn't want to put in our deck.

Alphanauts ho~

• Locked thread