Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Infinotize posted:

What should a barely used, late model WR250x go for? I found such an example but the guy wants almost 5k for it. I found a well modded 08 with 15k for $3k but I was too slow on my offer, the ad was up less than a day. I am tempted to hold out until another shows up for 3k but they don't seem to pop up too often.

I picked up a 2008 with ~3700 miles with a FMF powerbomb/Q4, FMF fuel programmer and brand new tires for 3k. 5k is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4338810793.html

I've unfortunately seen over 5k price for this bike multiple times around here. The only time I've ever seen a WR or DRZ listed under 3k around here is when it's clapped out or obviously stolen :(

edit: Infinotize where are you located?

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2014

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

NYC although I lived in Baltimore for a while and it's my "home" so I frequent both regions' listings. If you look in baltimore CL for wr250x you'll see the one I was talking about, I saw that chantilly one too.

There seem to be a lot of cheapskates in PA, I have bought several vehicles from Pennsylvanians and they always seem cheap compared with skewed-minded people in NY or DC areas. The one I mentioned that got sold quick was near Harrisburg PA. 3k for 15k miles, FMF header/Q4, programmer, and some other stuff like bars/handguards. That's what I want!

Edit2: that guy's ad is hilarious

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 13, 2014

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I wouldn't go above 4k. I got mine, an 08 with 8k miles, powebomb, fmf exhaust, and power commander for I think $3,300 in the DC area. I can't imagine a few years is worth over $1,000 when the bike hasn't been changed.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Squeezing 40 hours of work out of my weekend to pay off the 435 setup for the DRZ. Fun times.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Z3n posted:

I rode a 990 R - great bike, just not a supermoto, more of a long travel standard.

Don't wear motocross gear on a sumo, wear full leathers. A motocross helmet is ok but asphalt hurts if you fall on it on a sumo or a sportbike and you'll do a lot more dumb poo poo on the sumo.

The motocross gear is for when I take it off road. Dirt bike wheels!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I picked up a 2008 with ~3700 miles with a FMF powerbomb/Q4, FMF fuel programmer and brand new tires for 3k. 5k is stupid.

Not the same bike but... I really want to get rid of this FMF Titanium 4 ASAP and I read that the Q4 is a good replacement. How loud is it? The quieter the better in my book. Is the airflow enough difference that I would have to rejet?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I think you're fine with the Q. It flows more than stock but less than a fully derestricted pipe. I'd leave it be and see how it goes. It's going to get hotter anyhow so jetting will be affected moreso in the coming months IMO than by the small change in the pipe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Not the same bike but... I really want to get rid of this FMF Titanium 4 ASAP and I read that the Q4 is a good replacement. How loud is it? The quieter the better in my book. Is the airflow enough difference that I would have to rejet?

The Q is decently quiet. If you have an fcr you will have to rejet, if you have the tick carb you might be able to get away with a few cranks on the fuel screw, but you probably should rejet for that as well.

Also, are we taking full system or slipon only?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Q is decently quiet. If you have an fcr you will have to rejet, if you have the tick carb you might be able to get away with a few cranks on the fuel screw, but you probably should rejet for that as well.

Also, are we taking full system or slipon only?

It has a Mikuni pumper carb. To be honest, I don't know how to tell if the system is full or slipon. I would guess it's a slipon.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
I fear I already know the answer to this, but would a WR250X/R be a terrible first bike choice? Or should I really put a year or two into a more typical 'starter bike'?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PreserveByNeglect posted:

I fear I already know the answer to this, but would a WR250X/R be a terrible first bike choice? Or should I really put a year or two into a more typical 'starter bike'?

It would be a totally awesome first bike choice.

Relatively low power and forgiving suspension. It's perfect IMHO.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

It will ruin you for any bike that's not a sumo but yes, best starter bike choice.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
So I sold my KTM 640 SM, it was a bit too big and a bit too vibey. Fine on the highway but not that great playing around in town. Been looking at either a DRZ SM or a sumoed WR450F as a replacement, maybe a KTM 450/525/530 won't require much more maintenance than the WR? Any other road legal dirt bike that's at least less finicky than a Husaberg or an SXV?
I'm in Sweden, I should add. So the DRZ SM is quite rare and KTM's are plenty.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

doppler posted:

So I sold my KTM 640 SM, it was a bit too big and a bit too vibey. Fine on the highway but not that great playing around in town. Been looking at either a DRZ SM or a sumoed WR450F as a replacement, maybe a KTM 450/525/530 won't require much more maintenance than the WR? Any other road legal dirt bike that's at least less finicky than a Husaberg or an SXV?
I'm in Sweden, I should add. So the DRZ SM is quite rare and KTM's are plenty.

You'd be disappointed with the DRZ I think.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I went from a DRZ to a 690 SMC-R, and I don't know what you expect from the DRZ but as the Wizards says, I think you might be disappointed. The DRZ *is* half the power, and both brakes and bouncers are lower budget than KTMs. All the others are going to be high maintenance, although depending on what year your LC4 was I guess it won't be much more then the KTM. The interval on the new 690 engine (>2012) is 10000 km btw. :)

(You should totally get a SXV 550, just because I chickened out doesn't mean you should. There's a nice one on Blocket for 44k RIGHT NOW.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy an sxv550 and then wish you had gotten the drz!!

I think you would like the drz :3:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Anybody have experience with the KTM 500 EXC? I might make that my next supermoto.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It will ruin you for any bike that's not a sumo but yes, best starter bike choice.

This is excellent news. Thanks!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

This is excellent news. Thanks!

Something they didn't mention as well: when you drop it in your driveway all you do is pick it up again. If you have an off on the street all you do is pick it up and maybe bend something back. If you somehow manage to break body work all you do is buy $20 replacement plastics.

I got a WR for my first bike about a year ago and I'm convinced it's the best mororcycling decision I've made. Even after a year, while I know it's slow, I have no real desire to get something else yet. It started every time I needed it during this winter (including sub 10 degree days)and been pretty much no fuss.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Something they didn't mention as well: when you drop it in your driveway all you do is pick it up again. If you have an off on the street all you do is pick it up and maybe bend something back. If you somehow manage to break body work all you do is buy $20 replacement plastics.

I got a WR for my first bike about a year ago and I'm convinced it's the best mororcycling decision I've made. Even after a year, while I know it's slow, I have no real desire to get something else yet. It started every time I needed it during this winter (including sub 10 degree days)and been pretty much no fuss.

Can agree, my DRZ (very similar bike) went down at about 30-35 and I was able to pick it up, bend the brake lever back and ride away. Later I had to straighten/readjust the forks but that's a easy job too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supermoto™: Its the best decision you'll ever make!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wish I had started out on a WR250X or even just my XT660X instead of the Bandit 600. I feel like it would have made me a better rider, quicker.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I went from a DRZ to a 690 SMC-R, and I don't know what you expect from the DRZ but as the Wizards says, I think you might be disappointed. The DRZ *is* half the power, and both brakes and bouncers are lower budget than KTMs. All the others are going to be high maintenance, although depending on what year your LC4 was I guess it won't be much more then the KTM. The interval on the new 690 engine (>2012) is 10000 km btw. :)

(You should totally get a SXV 550, just because I chickened out doesn't mean you should. There's a nice one on Blocket for 44k RIGHT NOW.)

Argh, don't tempt me. And it's even a 2008 model, that is supposed to be at least a little more reliable right? Right? :v:

But I'm not sure it's more performance I want, most of all I want something lighter and narrower, something that feels more like a real dirt bike. I sat on a stationary DRZ a while ago, and I remember it felt a lot narrower than my KTM. From what I've heard is nowhere near as vibey either.

doppler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 16, 2014

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Anybody have experience with the KTM 500 EXC? I might make that my next supermoto.

I've ridden one, it's awesome. Expect to rebuild the engine around 25k miles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

doppler posted:

Argh, don't tempt me. And it's even a 2008 model, that is supposed to be at least a little more reliable right? Right? :v:

But I'm not sure it's more performance I want, most of all I want something lighter and narrower, something that feels more like a real dirt bike. I sat on a stationary DRZ a while ago, and I remember it felt a lot narrower than my KTM. From what I've heard is nowhere near as vibey either.

Doooooo it!! One of us! One of us!!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Zool posted:

I've ridden one, it's awesome. Expect to rebuild the engine around 25k miles.

How is it vs. the 690? I like the fact that the 500 is lighter, but if there's no perceptible difference I might lean towards the other.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

How is it vs. the 690? I like the fact that the 500 is lighter, but if there's no perceptible difference I might lean towards the other.

It is very noticeably more nimble and light feeling than a 690.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took the WR out again yesterday and donged around. Found some new gravel roads to play on closer to the house with some single track type trails going off. Asked a dual sport friend and he said they are open to anything with a road legal tag, horses, bicycles and hikers. So new play area but have to take it a little easy and be respectful of others. Also found a industrial park that is completely empty other than security on weekends, talked to the head of security who was there for some other stuff and he showed me areas where I couldn't ride then said have fun and gave me his number in case anyone gives me a hard time. This is going to be a good summer.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

It's not too bad at all unless you're really on it. A little droning at highway speeds but nothing terrible at all. I originally planned on picking up a silencer insert but after talking with a few neighbors and riding it I'm not going to bother.

I'm late to the party but it is the perfect starter bike. Easy to ride, cheap to crash/drop, light weight, fun as hell. I started on a SV650 then picked up a DRZ and immediatly wished I would have started on a motard. The WR250 or a DRZ400 are about as ideal you can get for a starter bike other than maybe them being a bit expensive worth it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
On the off chance I'm not the only one here without a garage, what kind of bike covers are you guys using? I have a lovely cheap one that I use for my DRZ that lives under a carport, but it's not really cutting it in the "Keep rain off the brakes and chain" department. It's too god drat small somehow.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Marxalot posted:

On the off chance I'm not the only one here without a garage, what kind of bike covers are you guys using? I have a lovely cheap one that I use for my DRZ that lives under a carport, but it's not really cutting it in the "Keep rain off the brakes and chain" department. It's too god drat small somehow.

I bought a Bilt cover about a year ago at my local Cycle Gear and it has held up with moderate use. It is more water resistant than water proof, and won't keep your bike completely dry in downpours, but works for what I need it for. I only use it on average a few times a week when I can't or don't store the bike out of the elements. It has a shielded air vent for ventilation and a buckle at the bottom to keep it secured in bad weather.

I want to say I picked it up extremely cheap, for $35, but I may be remembering wrong. I do know that it was a lot cheaper than any other cover I've used. Considering how often Bilt goes on sale, I'd recommend keeping an eye out and pick one up when they are discounted.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My room smells like fresh 2CT. I just want my loving cylinder. Although it's supposed to be 32 degrees all next week. :smith:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone have suggestions for some good, vibration-resistant mirrors? The stock ones on my 690 were designed to channel Michael J Fox on a two-week Adderal binge, to the point where I don't even bother checking them anymore which is a bad habit. Plus my leftside droops down after a few minutes of riding and needs constant adjustment. They stick out past the ends of my bars as well, which I hate when lanesplitting. Ideally I'd like something that would work well mounted on the underside of the bars, as I'm pretty tall and my shoulders often block key angles - it was a world of difference when I swapped the mirrors on my old bike from top to bottom.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't find the stock ones unusable, do you have handguards installed? I found they only became unusable when I took off the stock all-plastic hand guards. Then I got some acerbis guards with the metal frame and it made everything better.

Mirrors are never going to be vibration free on a sumo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Try tightening the screws under the rubber bits on the mirrors.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't find the stock ones unusable, do you have handguards installed? I found they only became unusable when I took off the stock all-plastic hand guards. Then I got some acerbis guards with the metal frame and it made everything better.

Mirrors are never going to be vibration free on a sumo.

Yeah I installed some metal-frame Acerbis earlier this year and didn't notice any difference. I know a big single will always have lots of vibes, but since I'd like to replace them for other reasons as well I thought I'd try to get the most stable ones I could find.

Z3n posted:

Try tightening the screws under the rubber bits on the mirrors.

I tried this too, but it keeps coming loose - the rubber boots are pretty dried out and to get at the other two screws I'll basically have to rip the whole thing off for good. gently caress it though; sumo.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piSU7-iNB-Q&t=4m40s

"I always saw supermoto riding as just kinda like a bunch of nerds who just don't wanna ride a real man's bike"

"A totally different experience, being able to physically swing the bike to and fro."

Dirtbikes are for nerds. So is turning.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I really want to make a trip out to LA to take those classes, now. If only I could find cheap airfare.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Does anyone have any input or resources on DRZ suspension adjustment? I feel like I've heard before that they aren't quite set right from the factory, but google hasn't been too forthcoming so far. The bike is an '09 SM and I weigh about 175, I take it down the occasional dirt road but most of my riding is around town.

edit: This could be handy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

Niven fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I should go through my suspension for this season. I guess it's pretty easy to set the rear sag.

• Locked thread