Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pseudorandom name posted:

a short story I read when I was small has stuck with me for decades now:

a computer was entrusted with the preservation of the human race, so it adopted the most logical course of action: raise children until they were teenagers and then extract their genetic material by grinding them up into paste (or maybe crushing them?) and recombining the DNA to make new humans. narrator kid kills the computer by planting a pumpkin or squash or something in a crack next to it and waiting for its growth to slowly widen the crack and destroy the computer
second half of that story is from one of the original saberhagen berserker short stories, but the computer wasnt trying to preserve the human race. oh no not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm just curious to see how yospos would have handled the rewrite

picard and dr.malcolm mcdowell use the power of the nexus to do temporal battle with a series of moves and counter moves that seem infinitely regressive until malcolm pulls out a gun and shoots picard but then gun just poops out a little flag that says bang

picard is amazed but kirk grins and says that they must have eventually won in the future, and then rufus shows up and hands kirk and picard some electric guitars. kirk and picard can't play so they let the nexus destroy the planet one last time and then they suddenly reappear several minutes earlier with cool leather clothes and long scraggly beards

they play a sick soft prog rock guitar jam and the power of their solos cause the nexus to swerve away into space and the day is saved

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Picard enters the nexus and finds his dead-irl family is no longer dead and he has a wife and kids and so he decides gently caress the universe malcom was right and he chills out and is happy for the rest of eternity.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
future picard calls janeway for a favor and she sets him up with a shuttlecraft and orders for a "secret mission" so picard has cover. he slingshots around the sun and he beams some dummy bodies into his brother's house and rescues his family and brings them back to the future just after he received news that they were dead, with a note explaining the situation to real time picard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The crew of the enterprise is stunned by the apparent death of Picard and the destruction of the pre-warp planet. Starfleet's final report absolves the crew of any wrong doing and they attempt to move on with their lives. Riker takes command of the Enterprise, but what should be a proud moment in his career is soured by the loss of his friend and mentor. His heavy drinking takes a toll on his marriage and he and Troi separate after a year.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

picard and kirk re-enter the nexus and emerge one year before soran blows up that first star. they find him and him a shuttlecraft so he can go to the nexus himself without endangering anyone else. kirk is offered command of the enterprise-d, and leads it on a new 5 year mission. the events of first contact, and especially insurrection and nemesis, never happen.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
picard and kirk re-enter the nexus and emerge on the set of the star war prequels. they enlist the help of a friendly sfx guy to have fun on the green screen and get to meet the guy who played chewbacca

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
picard and kirk reenter the nexus and emerge in time to kill rick berman before voyager goes into production

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

lets say you were in charge of that reshoot (assume you can't change the rest of the film). how would you end it?

also i'm not calling you out farmer crack rear end i'm just curious to see how yospos would have handled the rewrite

that's an interesting problem to pose, because usually i think in terms of "man the whole second half is pants"

if i have to stick with the (alleged) studio directive of 'kirk has to die in this one'... idk. i'd probably have kirk get killed by the exploding rocket somehow. picard sabotages the rocket, they spot soran sneaking back to it, and kirk rock climbs to where he can get the drop on soran while picard keeps him distracted.

if i have to stick with the rest of the movie but can do w/e, i think i'd actually have him live. you know that would piss off the TNG/DS9 writers so hard.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
Picard never leaves the nexus, rest of series is just Stewarts "Acting Shakespeare" DVD

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Kirk and Picard enter the nexus but get eaten by a tiger.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Kirk and Picard enter the nexus, then google drops support and they are trapped forever in an old version of android

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trast posted:

Kirk and Picard enter the nexus but get eaten by a tiger.

should've picked the other door

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

should've picked the other door
NICE!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the lady and the riker

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

infernal machines posted:

Kirk and Picard enter the nexus, then google drops support and they are trapped forever in an old version of android

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's an interesting problem to pose, because usually i think in terms of "man the whole second half is pants"

if i have to stick with the (alleged) studio directive of 'kirk has to die in this one'... idk. i'd probably have kirk get killed by the exploding rocket somehow. picard sabotages the rocket, they spot soran sneaking back to it, and kirk rock climbs to where he can get the drop on soran while picard keeps him distracted.

if i have to stick with the rest of the movie but can do w/e, i think i'd actually have him live. you know that would piss off the TNG/DS9 writers so hard.

idk, i dont think you would have to stick with that studio directive if you didnt want to (its your reshoot/rewrite after all)

i probably would have had kirk die a horribly gruesome death just because. maybe have his flesh burned off by the rocket and have him blindly swiping at malcolm until his face drips off or some poo poo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this implies there was ever support

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Did Fox ever announce with Almost Human was off death row yet? I just want some more Judge Dredd and Sassy robot car banter.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Trast posted:

Did Fox ever announce with Almost Human was off death row yet? I just want some more Judge Dredd and Sassy robot car banter.

well they renewed the following, which has worse ratings, so almost human is probably cancelled

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

angry_keebler posted:

well they renewed the following, which has worse ratings, so almost human is probably cancelled

I know this is probably true but I'm in denial.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
when you lot said that Red Mars started slow you weren't kidding

there's been two revolutions and a riot in the last 100 pages and Lovecraft himself couldn't have written it more dryly. gonna keep trying at it though.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 14, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best part is the first book is the fastest paced of all of them

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i loved the in-depth worldbuilding of the mars trilogy. he went out of his way to make the technology feel plausible and more importantly he made society's response to the new technologies plausible

if you think about it there are only three radical new bits of tech in that universe: the life-extension treatments, the space elevators, and the fusion torchships. everything else stays firmly grounded in known physics. the rest of the story is just "what might life be like in the solar system if we have these things available" and it's awesome

gently caress now i want to reread them again for like the sixteenth time

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i just finished look to windward

i really dont know how i should feel right now

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Gus Hobbleton posted:

existential despair

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
red mars is like 75% of the actual content in the trilogy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Beeftweeter posted:

lets say you were in charge of that reshoot (assume you can't change the rest of the film). how would you end it?

also i'm not calling you out farmer crack rear end i'm just curious to see how yospos would have handled the rewrite

i would cut to modern day and have them zoom in on an advertisement of asimo dancing

then they'd cut to the afformentioned guitar solo with kirk and picard but they would be playing 'all along the watchtower'

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Davethulhu posted:

existential despair

yeah i think ill settle on that

gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

rejoice for them, for they have found peace at last.

it's actually a very happy ending

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i guess but the leadup to it was pretty drat depressing

not just sad depressing but hopeless depressing. quilan was a sad fursnake and hub was all kinds of empty soulless husk. ziller was fun though.

at least worosei got revenge so quilan could join her :unsmith: at least i think thats what happened

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
feel like you should read against a dark background :getin:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gus Hobbleton posted:

at least worosei got revenge so quilan could join her :unsmith: at least i think thats what happened

if you're talking about the epilogue then i think it's just the culture sending an assassin at the people that tried to blow the orbital up. i know quilan definitely didn't go to heaven, he completely obliterated himself along with the mind; worosei was also completely obliterated in the attack

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 15, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i wasnt sure because this is the first ive heard of edust and wasnt sure if that was beyond culture tech or not, but it would make sense since hub said that someone would pay. my initial thought was that it was actually someone from a separate, sublimed faction different from the chelgrian-puen and were from actual chelgrian heaven, not the manufactured one, or something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

trapped in the primitive b-4 with Data, the trio go on exciting digital adventures in a new star trek animated series

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Virion posted:

trapped in the primitive b-4 with Data, the trio go on exciting digital adventures in a new star trek animated series

from the dirextor of "that saab concept car video" and "the gears of war ad with the donnie darko song" and "tron legacy"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i wasnt sure because this is the first ive heard of edust and wasnt sure if that was beyond culture tech or not, but it would make sense since hub said that someone would pay. my initial thought was that it was actually someone from a separate, sublimed faction different from the chelgrian-puen and were from actual chelgrian heaven, not the manufactured one, or something

"I am a Culture terror weapon designed to horrify, warn and instruct at the highest level." is a giveaway, but you probably forgot that by the time you got to the epilogue.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
youre right i had forgotten but i went back and checked that chapter again and she did say that

well, i guess it makes sense; i know from excession and player of games EXACTLY what happens when you gently caress with the culture

i tihnk i need to read consider phlebas soon

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

something i was thinking about is that the culture never actually loses within a book. like consider phlebas talks about them losing orbitals, planets, and a few other things during the idiran-culture war and they gently caress up the chelgrian thing spectacularly, but neither of them happen within the book itself.

i guess they sort of lose in excession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also hydrogen sonata

• Locked thread