Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Fallom posted:

If you had the capability to locate the plane would you reveal it
No but it's not like you couldn't just be like "oh hey maybe we should look over here. Oh hey look there it is! Lucky guess" and it's not like anyone could glean anything from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Fallom posted:

If you had the capability to locate the plane would you reveal it

so its like the episode of west wing where the astronauts on the ISS are in trouble and only the military space shuttle can save them. poor toby am i right

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No but it's not like you couldn't just be like "oh hey maybe we should look over here. Oh hey look there it is! Lucky guess" and it's not like anyone could glean anything from that.
also this

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
i know this isn't old timey gbs where we focus a lot on feelings but it must suck being family and friends of the passengers where the realistic options are 'they crashedi nto the ocean and died' or 'they suffocated at high altitue' or 'they were shot in the head after their big jet palne got stoled' (ok that's probably not v realistic)

because there's no way your imagination isn't bouncing around among those possibilities and 'they got taken by nice terrorists/aliens and are chillin in shangri-la and will be back shortly with the *best* stories :unsmith:'

and that lack of certainty must be hell

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Whoah I already got spam email from Barrister John Gandy of Senegal informing me my family perished on flight 370 and they have left me the sum of $27 million dollars that I can cash via a VISA card distributed by the Bank of Burundi. Sweet.. dinner is on me guys!!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

like seriously i'm on that Tomnod website where they've crowdsourced the search for the plane. you can't tell me there's not some government (or private) agency out there that automates all this stuff already.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

THIS IS ALL VERY SIMPLE

IT ENDED UP ON AN ISLAND.

One of two things happened. Pick one:
They are now a tribe's set of gods, or the passengers' kids will be found in a tribe-like society 50 years from now. Hell, we only realised a few years ago that Australia actually did not have an island which it told the world "really did exist, honest, guys" for hundreds of years.

They gassed the passengers, took them to a remote island, and now China is televising it for fun. I know the original is Japan, not China, but who had the most citizens on this flight?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I predict that this plane has crashed and we will find out why/how after a couple years of investigation with most the time spent locating the black box.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You could however organize a fake expanded search where one of your ships just happens to be in the right spot. Or tell one of your stooge allies to do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FADEtoBLACK posted:

You could however organize a fake expanded search where one of your ships just happens to be in the right spot. Or tell one of your stooge allies to do it.

Hey man it's only been a few days, let's let our foreign competitors demonstrate their weakness

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried the tomnod website but all I found were some whales

I also found tons of clouds that looked like whales.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Has anyone thought to question the whales?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

I predict that this plane has crashed and we will find out why/how after a couple years of investigation with most the time spent locating the black box.

I predict that Uighurs will be blamed in the meantime.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

JSARSOM posted:

Has anyone thought to question the whales?

Leave Japan out of this plz

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

Hey man it's only been a few days, let's let our foreign competitors demonstrate their weakness

Don't mention the war. I did just now but I think I got away with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If a Chinese fishing trawler doesn't "miraculously" bring up some dude's face and half an engine within the next 5 days then that's all the confirmation the CIA needs that the Chinkos can't task their satellites properly and run automated image processing to pick out debris at a 1 ft visible light resolution because they had that poo poo pinpointed ages ago

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

Fallom posted:

If a Chinese fishing trawler doesn't "miraculously" bring up some dude's face and half an engine within the next 5 days then that's all the confirmation the CIA needs that the Chinkos can't task their satellites properly and run automated image processing to pick out debris at a 1 ft visible light resolution because they had that poo poo pinpointed ages ago

But what if China is waiting for the same reason? Maybe everyone is purposefully not looking for fear that everyone else isn't purposefully looking!

It was NK, Kim needs a new set of players for his human chess board.

Bad Boy Bubby
Oct 10, 2004

BE STILL CAT
Definitely hijacked Malaysia is now saying.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AP posted:

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — A Malaysian government official says investigators have concluded that one of the pilots or someone else with flying experience hijacked the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.

The official, who is involved in the investigation, says no motive has been established, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.
The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory. “It is conclusive.”

The Boeing 777’s communication with the ground was severed under one hour into a flight March 8 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Malaysian officials have said radar data suggest it may have turned back and crossed back over the Malaysian peninsula westward, after setting out toward the Chinese capital.

"Conclusive" is a mighty strong word when you have no idea when you admit you have no idea where the plane is.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My suspicion that the Malaysians are saying what they've been told to say just got stronger.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I think some goons are vastly overestimating the competence of governments with all this double-bluff conspiracy talk.

anyway, i thought you needed a passcode to get into the cockpit nowadays? unless someone dived in when the capt needed to take a poo poo.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
THe FBI just released a sketch of the suspected hijacker:

Kinda dapper looking fellow tbh.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I also found tons of clouds that looked like whales.

Ummm guys I think I know what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16_8l0yS-g

Bad Boy Bubby
Oct 10, 2004

BE STILL CAT
They would have known all along, if it was suspected mechanical failure, flights would've been grounded I'd suspect.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004
What if there was a crystal of solid LSD in the thing that spits out the boarding passes, so that every single person on the plane started tripping balls a half hour into the flight?

And if not, that would be a good plot for something.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Huh. Whoever called Diego Garcia gets a sticker. If it didn't crash, America would be the only nation that could MAYBE, BARELY pull off some ~~Black Ops~~ poo poo like this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Russell William Thorpe posted:

What if there was a crystal of solid LSD in the thing that spits out the boarding passes, so that every single person on the plane started tripping balls a half hour into the flight?
That would be the greatest flight of all time.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Australian media is reporting that the Malaysian PM will be holding a press conference in about 35 minutes.

Take this report with a grain of salt because *Australian media*, but the a lot of attention now seems focused on one pilot in particular. This could just be the media trying to keep the story alive over the weekend and may not reflect the official investigations at all.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/plane-was-piloted-offcourse-in-last-hours-us-20140315-34tdz.html

Lolie fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 15, 2014

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
If only it was coming from the always truthful and not corrupt glorious american media right?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I hope the plane didn't flip-flop as much as the Malaysian government has or else there's going to be some dizzy passengers!

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Savings Coupon posted:

Huh. Whoever called Diego Garcia gets a sticker. If it didn't crash, America would be the only nation that could MAYBE, BARELY pull off some ~~Black Ops~~ poo poo like this.

hahah what? america is the only country in the world that can vanish a flight out of the sky? no. and not no because another country can; no because no country can, you tom clancy goon.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Overwined posted:

I hope the plane didn't flip-flop as much as the Malaysian government has or else there's going to be some dizzy passengers!
The plane actually made it to Beijing but nobody could see it in the Chinese smog.

Rakosi posted:

hahah what? america is the only country in the world that can vanish a flight out of the sky? no. and not no because another country can; no because no country can, you tom clancy goon.
We have this David Copperfield.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

theperminator posted:

If only it was coming from the always truthful and not corrupt glorious american media right?

It's got little to do with truthfulness or corruption. It's Saturday afternoon here so we're on the weekend news cycle, which focuses largely on sport and lifestyle stuff. Whatever's reported is going to be coming directly off the news services - none of the "serious" journalists are going to be giving up their weekend to pump their "inside sources".

Sky News is going live to the presser in a few minutes. Sky's going to a lot of trouble to say that the hijacking reports are "unconfirmed" and "according to Associated Press".

Lolie fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 15, 2014

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Rakosi posted:

Hey I'm just saying if anyone could it would probably be the CIA or whoever, not saying I believe it happened.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Just a cool, only semi-relevant click

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
press conference about to start stream

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

press conference about to start stream

Oddly it seems CNN International isn't carrying this live.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My new theory is that all the passengers and crew have been sold into slavery. :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

My new theory is that all the passengers and crew have been sold into slavery. :smith:
They flew through an Oblivion gate.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Malaysia can't even start a press conference on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh gently caress now the Prime Minister's missing.

• Locked thread