Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I tried the tomnod website but all I found were some whales

I also found tons of clouds that looked like whales.
the whales must be excited from all the commotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

owned world

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

toggle posted:

If the cabin was depressurised at 40k feet, what would the passengers be feeling? As in, do they just pass out straight away, or get a nasty head ache then pass out? Yawning? Bleeding ears?

Well since nobody who has a clue what they're talking about has responded to you yet I'll give it a shot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness is the wikipedia page for Time of Useful Consciousness, it matches up with Air Force charts pretty well so I'd consider it a reliable source. At 40,000 feet you have 15-20 seconds. That can vary based on whether or not it was a rapid decompression or you're moving or burning oxygen (which could drop it to single digits). A rapid decompression will not harm you unless you had some kind of nasal blockage, in which case life will seriously suck for you.

Within that 15-20 seconds you will become hypoxic. The symptoms you immediately display vary by person but generally include light-headedness, fatigue, cyanosis (your fingertips/lips turn blue), tingling feelings and nausea. US Air Force aircrew are required to go through the altitude chamber, which includes a trip without oxygen up to very high pressure altitudes, and that's where this video is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3W4d-5RPo It's important to know your symptoms or you end up like that guy!

So to answer your question, they'd start getting headaches and fatigue and then they'd probably pass out eventually. Those passengers with nasal blockages would suffer extreme pain, as would those with a lot of gas. This would all happen very quickly.

edit: a note about that video, the point of the training is to understand your own symptoms so that you'll recognize when you're becoming hypoxic. The reason the instructor keeps hammering on that black box (which is the oxygen regulator) is because if you don't do it yourself then you fail.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 15, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Lady Galaga posted:

owned world

Malaysians have none of those things and cant even fly a plane. Should have been the text.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

Lady Galaga posted:

owned world
Hey the plane is right there

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Prop Wash posted:

Well since nobody who has a clue what they're talking about has responded to you yet I'll give it a shot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness is the wikipedia page for Time of Useful Consciousness, it matches up with Air Force charts pretty well so I'd consider it a reliable source. At 40,000 feet you have 15-20 seconds. That can vary based on whether or not it was a rapid decompression or you're moving or burning oxygen (which could drop it to single digits). A rapid decompression will not harm you unless you had some kind of nasal blockage, in which case life will seriously suck for you.

Within that 15-20 seconds you will become hypoxic. The symptoms you immediately display vary by person but generally include light-headedness, fatigue, cyanosis (your fingertips/lips turn blue), tingling feelings and nausea. US Air Force aircrew are required to go through the altitude chamber, which includes a trip without oxygen up to very high pressure altitudes, and that's where this video is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3W4d-5RPo It's important to know your symptoms or you end up like that guy!

So to answer your question, they'd start getting headaches and fatigue and then they'd probably pass out eventually. Those passengers with nasal blockages would suffer extreme pain, as would those with a lot of gas. This would all happen very quickly.

edit: a note about that video, the point of the training is to understand your own symptoms so that you'll recognize when you're becoming hypoxic. The reason the instructor keeps hammering on that black box (which is the oxygen regulator) is because if you don't do it yourself then you fail.

Thanks for taking charge of this prop wash

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
“@JonahFisher: Being briefed by Malaysia officials they believe most likely location for MH370 is on land somewhere near Chinese/Kyrgyz border.”

:monocle:

Link: https://twitter.com/jonahfisher/status/444754310677553153

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
At this point I kind of wish some james bond villain would come forward with shrewd demands about the plane or some super weapon.Seriously More interesting than these paranoid terrorist bullshit theories.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

In CoD you can lock onto a plane with the javelin rocket launcher.

All I'm saying is maybe

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sinjang posted:

“@JonahFisher: Being briefed by Malaysia officials they believe most likely location for MH370 is on land somewhere near Chinese/Kyrgyz border.”

:monocle:

Link: https://twitter.com/jonahfisher/status/444754310677553153

No fuckin way. unless china has a spectacularly awful radar system there's no WAY a civilian airliner can do a better stealth job than a loving blackbird could and go all that distance unnoticed.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

No fuckin way. unless china has a spectacularly awful radar system there's no WAY a civilian airliner can do a better stealth job than a loving blackbird could and go all that distance unnoticed.

Unless the pilot is the greatest pilot in the world and was flying a 777 at NAP height for 7 hours!

Hell I would imagine even if he did pop up high enough to get into Military Radar range the radar operators would probably dismiss it as a glitch as who the gently caress would expect a 777 to just magically appear.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Al Borland posted:

At this point I kind of wish some james bond villain would come forward with shrewd demands about the plane or some super weapon.Seriously More interesting than these paranoid terrorist bullshit theories.

yeah man it was probably just some kid who wanted to hijack a plane and fly it into the middle of the ocean until the fuel run out just for kicks

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No loving way, is that even in the range for the aircraft?

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

My Imaginary GF posted:

No loving way, is that even in the range for the aircraft?

Context

ETA: as in, request some

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

just to illustrate how incredible this feat would be if it's even %1 true:-

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It probably landed on a rogue chinese aircraft carrier. That's also a submarine.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

ukle posted:

Unless the pilot is the greatest pilot in the world and was flying a 777 at NAP height for 7 hours!

Hell I would imagine even if he did pop up high enough to get into Military Radar range the radar operators would probably dismiss it as a glitch as who the gently caress would expect a 777 to just magically appear.

Wouldn't mountainous corridors like the Himalayas and the eastern stans have patchy radar coverage?

Running with the rogue pilot theory, the captain is said to have had a flight sim setup in his home, meaning he could have rehearsed the nighttime mountain stages and known which altitudes to fly.

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 15, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also they somehow shut down the engine transponders on the 12 hour flight to western china.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

Also they somehow shut down the engine transponders on the 12 hour flight to western china.

How far could they get in 8 hours towards the border mentioned?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sinjang posted:

Running with the rogue pilot theory, the captain is said to have had a flight sim setup in his home, meaning he could have rehearsed the nighttime mountain stages and known which altitudes to fly.

Oh man, a pilot had a flight sim.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

I didnt know Microsoft flight simulator came with realistic secret military radar systems and locations and how to dodge/turn off every fail safe and beacon transponders in a post 9-11 world!

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Lady Galaga posted:

owned world
'America has best weapons'

what is usa supposed to do? start carpet bombing the sea until debris from the plane is churned up?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Al-Saqr posted:

just to illustrate how incredible this feat would be if it's even %1 true:-

There are commercial flights from KL to Bishkek. Looks to be about an 8 hour flight. Trying to find a map of the flight paths which are normally used.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If the pilot was in on it, he could have arranged for the plane to be overfuelled so as to travel further. A fully fueled 777 could easily fly to the Kyrgzstan border.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Wouldn't it be dangerous to just fly around? Aren't flight paths defined to avoid collision?

Furthermore, wouldn't other planes be able to ping the rogue plane? I'm sure that a crew would know if they come across a plane on their route unexpectedly.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

It's not unusual and not incriminating. But not having a home flight sim would make it harder to rehearse tricky routes like that. And of course there's no military radar data in there, just height map data.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This was in the middle of the night, when there would be fewer planes in the sky.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lolie posted:

There are commercial flights from KL to Bishkek. Looks to be about an 8 hour flight. Trying to find a map of the flight paths which are normally used.

it's not the distance that's insane, the distance is perfectly normal for a 777, it's the fact that it can disappear and reach all the way there unnoticed by the militaries or radars of both India or china. Even on or off the flight paths someone wouldve at least figured something was up when a plane was not responding and wasnt registered to be on that path.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I can't believe how serious some people take this thread. You just need to admit to yourselves, jizz was the culprit,
Jizz on the controls.
Jizz on the instruments.

She shoulda swallowed.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

If the pilot was in on it, he could have arranged for the plane to be overfuelled so as to travel further. A fully fueled 777 could easily fly to the Kyrgzstan border.

But it's an 8 hour flight and I though we only had 4 hours of Rolls Royce engine data?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Ah cool! Thanks :)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
my controls have jizz all over them and i can post ("fly" if you will) just fine

e: gently caress wait i'm a bad poster :( nm

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Apparently the last ping was 8:11am, so 7 hours after last contact assuming that's in Malaysia time.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

But it's an 8 hour flight and I though we only had 4 hours of Rolls Royce engine data?

I believe the last ping was 7 hours after losing contact.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Mola Yam posted:

my controls have jizz all over them and i can post ("fly" if you will) just fine

e: gently caress wait i'm a bad poster :( nm

Clearly your jizz didn't leak down into the keys. I know if I spill "water" on my keyboard i loving shorts out till it dries out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Oooohhhh Boooooyyy

The Indian military at it's finest:-

quote:

If the missing flight is identified in this area, it could indicate that the chain of military radars on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands missed the plane as it would have had to fly over the islands to reach there.

The air defence network on the islands would have in the normal course picked up an unidentified plane. However, sources pointed out the radars there are not always switched on.

Whoever runs the Indian defense ministry should be court martialled.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 15, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Al-Saqr posted:

Oooohhhh Boooooyyy

The indian military at it's finest:-

Whoever runs the Indian defense ministry should be court martialled.

They were too busy raping to turn them on.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
edit: fb

double edit: the whole thing is still pretty implausible but not entirely impossible. i mean malaysia didn't panic at the time when a ufo crossed their radars after 1 am and india apparently has their radars in the andaman switched off sometimes (and no, china probably doesn't have a base at coco island), so just put a stroke of luck across the indian subcontinent and then maybe less than an hour flying low in rural chinese territory?

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 15, 2014

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Al Borland posted:

They were too busy raping to turn them on.

Or they were turned on and India shot the aircraft down when they couldn't identify it (unlikely, but so are most of the other theories).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking#India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This story just keeps getting better :suspense:

• Locked thread