Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
I know in my situations any one of the movies or cartoons comes on with me in the room, if I haven't already talked about it to the person in the room, I bring it up. THE WORLD MUST KNOW, drat IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Writh posted:

I know in my situations any one of the movies or cartoons comes on with me in the room, if I haven't already talked about it to the person in the room, I bring it up. THE WORLD MUST KNOW, drat IT!

Don't worry, it's not just you that feels the need to bring up this exact piece of useless trivia whenever it seems applicable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the conversations happen like-

"Hey, Harold Ramis died." "What a bummer." "Did you ever watch the Ghostbusters cartoon?" "Yes/No?" "That guy who did the voice of Vankmen was great at doing a Bill Murry impression." "Hey, wasn't he the guy who did Garfield?" "He was." "Weird...and then Bill Murry played him in the movies!" "Hell yeah bro!" "Lets go gently caress something with feet!"

Something like that, at least.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shyfted One posted:

I like that they forgot about the tornado

AND ALL SORTS OF THINGS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wanna watch that SNL starring a piece of toast, Bobby Moynihan and three..uh, three.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

"It's just called Two Brothers" might have been the hardest I've laughed at a comedy for a long, long time. This show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What's the name of the song that plays near the end when Beth and Jerry hug after seeing their alternate selves reunite?

This was probably the happiest and sweetest episode of the series so far, I can only assume that means the next episode will be the most horrific and depressing.

Oh well at least the family will always have fond memories of their vacation to "hamster in butt world" :unsmith:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was unexpectedly sweet. I always like it when adult animated shows do heartwarming endings amid their largely cynical view of the world.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's the name of the song that plays near the end when Beth and Jerry hug after seeing their alternate selves reunite?

Seal My Fate by Belly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This episode was so loving good I may well have lost my goddamn mind.

The bit after the credits with Hamsters that Live In Peoples' Butts World was sublime.

Also, with the end of this episode, I hope Beth and Jerry are a little happier with each other. Now they know that, no matter what achievements they might have made alone, their other selves were never happy and always considered their time together the greatest time of their lives :3:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
God that episode was clever. The dialogue explains why Summer in particular is such a statistical rarity compared to Jerry and Beth; she only exists in realities in which the car lost a tire and Jerry gets to talk the mom out of it. She can only exist in a reality where they both wind up resentfully marrying each other. Also ''I don't give a gently caress what you think, Jerry!''

Possibly my favorite, or up there with Rick Potion #9. I

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys are talking about an episode that will air next week, or is it up on youtube already?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Here you go

OR watch it in 109 15 second segments http://instagram.com/rickandmorty/

Woden
May 6, 2006
I know, don't think about it but the whole Summer arc made no sense. Infinity is a pretty big number, it implies there's infinite universes where Summer is a pro skater with green hair and a billionaire or the like.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oooh. Downloading the big one. Thank you!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, but she only switched the channel a few times and not dozens, or hundreds, or thousands, etc

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Woden posted:

I know, don't think about it but the whole Summer arc made no sense. Infinity is a pretty big number, it implies there's infinite universes where Summer is a pro skater with green hair and a billionaire or the like.

Just because there's an infinite number of possibilities doesn't mean they're all equally likely to happen

If you reached your hand into a pool of infinite coins, 99% of which were pennies, and chose one at random that doesn't make your say, .0001% Chance of grasping a 1972 Susan b Anthony dollar with IN GOURD WE TRUST instead of GOD any more likely

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 15, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the joke is that even given infinity Summer is boring in all of them.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
At least there's one where she's, uh, reenacting Jaws in a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I guess the reason that Rick and Morty don't use the altern-goggles is that one knows about the scarcity of other versions and the other fears that this is the case. Presumably this is how Rick discovers new escape routes.

I wonder if we're going to have to deal with other timeline Ricks trying to oust him from this (stolen) timeline?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Woden posted:

From the eventual overlap between the goggle-view and the news broadcast, both are only able to pick up events from the "present" of each parallel universe. The infinite variations on Summer and Morty haven't had much time to differentiate from the common starting point of Beth and Jerry settling for each other, aside from outliers like New Cronenberg World.

This episode also brought in the idea that Rick's fourth wall breaks aren't necessarily out of character. With infinite universes and ability to look between them, you are always being watched. Everyone has an audience, and he puts on a show for his.

Doubtful Guest posted:

I wonder if we're going to have to deal with other timeline Ricks trying to oust him from this (stolen) timeline?

Since the local Rick is dead, I don't think any other would have a reason to give a drat.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Doubtful Guest posted:

I guess the reason that Rick and Morty don't use the altern-goggles is that one knows about the scarcity of other versions and the other fears that this is the case. Presumably this is how Rick discovers new escape routes.

Yeah it looks like the same headset from the flu episode. Notice how he has it ready in his pocket too, for emergencies - usually when he gives something to the family he goes and fetches it from the garage first.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Occupation posted:

Just because there's an infinite number of possibilities doesn't mean they're all equally likely to happen

If you reached your hand into a pool of infinite coins, 99% of which were pennies, and chose one at random that doesn't make your say, .0001% Chance of grasping a 1972 Susan b Anthony dollar with IN GOURD WE TRUST instead of GOD any more likely
Sure, but in this case the grasping device is attuned to finding dollars. Maybe it's bad at it but it apparently worked well enough for the parents.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

From the eventual overlap between the goggle-view and the news broadcast, both are only able to pick up events from the "present" of each parallel universe. The infinite variations on Summer and Morty haven't had much time to differentiate from the common starting point of Beth and Jerry settling for each other, aside from outliers like New Cronenberg World.

The common starting point is 17+ years ago, plenty of time. And time shouldn't matter too much really either, it'd take less than a day to have infinite universes where aliens come down and worship Summer as queen and let her live like a god.

The only other way I can read it is she actually was seeing happy stuff, she was apparently having fun with the family playing board games. The stuff the parents watched also ended with them back together, but it does feel like kind of a stretch.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Gonna have to rewatch this episode when it airs for real.

Occupation posted:

You and me Pick

Against the woooooooorld

Make that three.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Steak Justice posted:

Make that three.
And four :unsmith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Argue posted:

Seal My Fate by Belly.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure the reason we didn't see many alternate versions of Summer is because they only looked at about 3 universes (the one where Beth go an abortion, one where they're playing shoots and ladders, and one where they're playing yahtzee). I'm sure there's a universe out there where she doing something cool and different like moving to the southwest and, I dunno, doing something with turquoise.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doubtful Guest posted:

In fact, it is!

Three details here I like:

- Things have been planned enough that we see Rick using the goggles before the episode in which they're the central plot.
- The goggles have that same red cross-dimension crystal that the cable box now uses.
- Since we've now established that the googles see out of the eyes of your alternate self, this means that, to find the reality in which everything was fine by alternate-Rick was dead, Rick had to watch himself die, from his own perspective.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 15, 2014

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Woden posted:

Sure, but in this case the grasping device is attuned to finding dollars. Maybe it's bad at it but it apparently worked well enough for the parents.

Occupation's analogy was spot on for explaining why she kept selecting versions that were totes normal compared to winning the lottery chances of interesting timelines where aliens made her a queen. The concept/joke is that Jerry and Linda are picking timelines at random and find themselves successful in almost all of them because it turns out staying together was an extremely rare outcome. As someone who has actually traveled to an alternate reality four times (ugh, dont ask) just trust me on this one. That's just how they work.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 15, 2014

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

As someone who has actually traveled to an alternate reality four times (ugh, dont ask) just trust me on this one.

So, how's The New 52 treating you?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

masteraero posted:

So, how's The New 52 treating you?

I keep punching and punching but I just can't break through to get to the editors. How the gently caress did Superboy do that.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Woden posted:

For every universe where she's a billionaire/pro skater/alien religious icon there's a thousand where she's playing board games with her family and a million where she was never born, because she's still a teenager and teenagers' lives usually aren't that interesting when viewed from the outside.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Woden posted:

The only other way I can read it is she actually was seeing happy stuff, she was apparently having fun with the family playing board games.

This joke owned because Jerry sarcastically suggested Yahtzee a couple of minutes before Summer got the goggles, so her first look into the goggles was apparently a universe where the family for some reason decided Yahtzee WOULD be more fun than infinite alternate universes.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PostNouveau posted:

This joke owned because Jerry sarcastically suggested Yahtzee a couple of minutes before Summer got the goggles, so her first look into the goggles was apparently a universe where the family for some reason decided Yahtzee WOULD be more fun than infinite alternate universes.

Yahtzee's fun! We love Yahtzee! It's a fun game for fun families!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
So what happens if you tune into a universe where your alternate self is using the goggles to see through your eyes?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpev8JXJHQ

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Planet Piss posted:

Oh god, me too. Seriously, where were they going with that?

Probably a take on Charlotte's Web.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Did anybody else notice the version of Game of Thrones where Tyrion is normal-size, everyone else is a dwarf, and they all still hate him?

I like the randomness of this show so much.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Haha, I'm on my second viewing and I didn't notice before how after pouting off from the kitchen, Summer stomps into the living room and in front of the TV needlessly (to get Rick and Morty's attention) before going to her room. The animators are great with the little touches.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gumby posted:

Did anybody else notice the version of Game of Thrones where Tyrion is normal-size, everyone else is a dwarf, and they all still hate him?

I did! I also noticed the game of no-pants baseball that comes right after it. I love it when shows throw in split second jokes like that, shows dedication to the craft.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Gumby posted:

I loved this gag, I was really excited when they gave me that shot to color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The world will forever thank you for that.

I have that frame on my phone, and crack up whenever I scroll past it.

• Locked thread