Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

No you can't. You have to play at least one heavy and one light, and one can be of whatever type you choose.

Unless you're talking about the 3d special heavies and lights, of course.

The passage saying so is still in the rulebook. The 2014 Rulebook and PAC are up, by the way. They really haven't changed much. I don't think they changed the powers at all from how they read in the most recent revision of the Player's Guide, but that would make sense because it's only a couple weeks old. Still, even then, they've barely changed since last year. The biggest change on the PAC seems to be that ignoring Plasticity isn't part of Giant Reach anymore and is instead part of Great Size, which makes a lot more sense.

2014 Rulebook, page 20 posted:

Any or all of the objects on your force may be special objects, but each special object must not have the same name as any other special object on your force.
This means I could, for example, play the Eleha'al Vine (light), Fuel Tank (heavy), and Tank Turret (ultra-heavy, which counts as a heavy).

Edit: Wait, are you equating special objects with immobile objects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Huh- I could've sworn that you could only have one object with the gear symbol on your force at once. Maybe in one of the old rulebooks? Or maybe I'm just mistaken and thought it was a rule when it wasn't.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Huh- I could've sworn that you could only have one object with the gear symbol on your force at once. Maybe in one of the old rulebooks? Or maybe I'm just mistaken and thought it was a rule when it wasn't.

You wouldn't believe how many people that's confused over the years. People end up taking "you can only use one of a given special object" as "you can only use one special object."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Edit: Wait, are you equating special objects with immobile objects?
Yeah, I was.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That'll happen. Anyway, I've come up with a scenario that might be fun. I got the idea when I read the entire 16-page run of Darkhold. I thought it might be interesting to run a scenario where the players are offered the chance to use a Darkhold page. Typically it's at a cost, but as with the N'Garai it can also just turn the game somewhat on its ear. Check the scenario out here and let me know what you think. I don't know why the Fist symbol on the back of the N'Garai token is coming out the way it is, but there's the horde special for them.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Last night was a fun sealed: two boosters and two GF, build two 300 pt teams not sharing characters between them; round 1 roll to determine which team you use; round 2 use the other team; round 3 combine then for a 600 point throw down. I pulled great and my teams wound up as:

Darkseid & Saturn Girl

Takion, Shrinking Violet, Daemonite

Round 1 was team Darkseid vs Tharok, Gates, and Glorith. I won map and picked the Avengers tank map; Darkseid murdered Tharok in two turns from across the tank and the guy conceded.

Round 2 vs Daxamite, Science Police, Polar Boy, & Phantom Girl. The cop was gonna keep me at army's length anyway so I huddled in my starting area until his team was close enough for Takion to plop Violet next to the cop and keep him locked down. The Daemonite was blocking LoF to Takion so he tried to get rid of it but I kept making Shape Change and stealing powers; at one point it had Invul, Super Senses, and Sidestep. An Outwit, PW and punch took out the cop, then Violet and the Daemonite kept the rest locked down while Takion dismantled them one by one.

Round three vs Nefaria, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Flatman, Justin Hammer, & Spiral. He didn't bother looking at my cards or dials and picked a big open map, immediately regretting it as Darskeid one-hit Justin then Flatman. I used my Outwits to keep Nefaria useless as he rest of the team fell, even Saturn Girl got into it when she had Nefaria KO Wolverine. Once he was the only one left, Nefaria didn't last very long and I got a fancy Mordru. I then bought two more boosters and pulled Toyman and another Takion, who turned into White Witch.

Tonight I had the evening off so I went to a venue I haven't frequented in a while. It was 600 Modern and I was in a rush so I grabbed an easy to find team that had been on my mind since somebody here posted about it: Phoenix Five Colossus, Emma, Cyclops, & Namor. It was a 3 game engine of destruction; a crit hit Psy Blast from Trigon on Cyke was my only loss and I obliterated my opponents all three rounds. Admittedly I was helped immensely in the first round when my opponent picked Krakoa thinking the Earthquakes would get through Invincible and accidentally KO'd his Scarlet Witch instead :laugh: So thanks for the inspiration and resultant Mon-El, whoever recently mentioned this!

This was a good week of clix :)

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 14, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DoFP Nightcrawler is today's preview. He's not bad for 80 points, especially defensively. He starts with a 17 Defense and traited Combat Reflexes and ES/D. He doesn't get all the full-dial freedom of movement other versions get, but he works. He's definitely meant to be a harasser and tie-up piece.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ManiacClown posted:

DoFP Nightcrawler is today's preview. He's not bad for 80 points, especially defensively. He starts with a 17 Defense and traited Combat Reflexes and ES/D. He doesn't get all the full-dial freedom of movement other versions get, but he works. He's definitely meant to be a harasser and tie-up piece.

These all look fantastic. I'm hoping Ahab gets an updated dial.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Nightcrawler's Everywhere At Once worded that he gets to use probability control every time he's attacked? Like, if you attack him three times in one turn, he gets to prob each of those once? Because it really looks like that to me.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

CapnAndy posted:

Is Nightcrawler's Everywhere At Once worded that he gets to use probability control every time he's attacked? Like, if you attack him three times in one turn, he gets to prob each of those once? Because it really looks like that to me.

If the power can't be ignored, doesn't that mean he has to use it? Like if someone whiffs on the attack, aren't they forced to re-roll?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Correct - he gets one PC each time he is attacked.

'Cannot be ignored' doesn't mean that it's mandatory, it means that he can use PC even if he's being Pulse Waved.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

It does say "once per attack," so yes, I'd say he gets PC every time he's attacked. I hadn't noticed that before, so this does make him an even better tie-up piece than I'd previously thought.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I am bored! My boredom is your gain! Play a skype game with me and learn something! It'll be casual!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I am bored! My boredom is your gain! Play a skype game with me and learn something! It'll be casual!

Have you thought of doing a YouTube instructional video? Everything I've seen so far is rear end.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Have you thought of doing a YouTube instructional video? Everything I've seen so far is rear end.

Eh. I just want to actually play against people with fun teams

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

That's a sweet Nightcrawler, and I especially love the Traited Combat Reflexes because not once but twice have I lost a Nightcrawler from being Force Blasted off of buildings. Let's see you knock Kurt back now! :argh:

Morand posted:

I wish I owned a webcam or a table large enough on which to play clix in my apartment :(

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Does anyone need a Solomon Grundy? I'm looking for any of the following:

Prime Cheetah
SR Superboy
SR Takion
White Witch (Would not be a 1-1 I'd toss in more)
Black Witch (Ditto)
Prime Cheetah
LE Mordu
LE Mon-El

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I got 3 Shadowcats and 3 Colossus from WatX:3:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sanschel posted:

That's a sweet Nightcrawler, and I especially love the Traited Combat Reflexes because not once but twice have I lost a Nightcrawler from being Force Blasted off of buildings. Let's see you knock Kurt back now! :argh:

I wish I owned a webcam or a table large enough on which to play clix in my apartment :(

At some point I'll have to figure out a setup in my computer room, where there's definitely not enough room for a table. Out in the kitchen I'd need the laptop, which my wife uses. I'd play chess-style!

I'm already planning for next week. The format is Bronze Age (any carded set is legal) with no resources. All character must be 60 points or under, including any assigned ATAs. If I make it, I plan on running characters I've never busted out because together they would have never otherwise been even remotely competitive.
pre:
IH102	Major Glenn Talbot	33
IH203	Hulkbuster Squad Leader	50
IH004	Hulkbuster Soldier	41
IH208	Gen. Thunderbolt Ross	55
FFIH005	Gen. Thunderbolt Ross	25
	Hulkbusters ATA x7	14
----------------------------------
			Total:	300

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Morand posted:

Does anyone need a Solomon Grundy? I'm looking for any of the following:

Prime Cheetah
SR Superboy
SR Takion
White Witch (Would not be a 1-1 I'd toss in more)
Black Witch (Ditto)
Prime Cheetah
LE Mordu
LE Mon-El

I got your back. I ended up getting lucky with the pulls at my Sealed (even though I didn't play by choice due to low turnout and being late) since I got both Takion and White Witch. Keeping the Takion, but I'll trade the White Witch to 'ya. Just send me a PM and we'll take care of business.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Ok, this week's game looks interesting. It is golden age and will be team battles where our force is led by either darkseid (slosh) or chanos.. We have to build two separate 300 point villains teams. One DC, one Marvel.

Part of me really wants to run bizarro for dc to see how crazy he can be. As for Marvel, I definitely want to run Doom. Any other interesting suggestions that aren't just cheese?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So. Anyone else suffering from Tellus abuse?

It's kind of amazing that they took what was broken about the old GSX Xavier and made it a thousand times more broken.

Also, came across Team Base Storm today and broke my brain trying to read this power:

LIGHTNING ATTENUATION: When Storm makes a ranged combat attack, her damage value is replaced with 9 minus the number of squares to the closest target character, maximum 4.

The way this is worded, the most you could subtract from her 9 damage is 4. Meaning if you were adjacent to her, she could do 8 damage to you. Between 4-8 squares away, she could do 5 damage to you. Someone tell me this has been eratta'd. This is the most poorly-worded power I've ever seen.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 17, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Steve Vader posted:

Also, came across Team Base Storm today and broke my brain trying to read this power:

LIGHTNING ATTENUATION: When Storm makes a ranged combat attack, her damage value is replaced with 9 minus the number of squares to the closest target character, maximum 4.

The way this is worded, the most you could subtract from her 9 damage is 4. Meaning if you were adjacent to her, she could do 8 damage to you. Between 4-8 squares away, she could do 5 damage to you. Someone tell me this has been eratta'd. This is the most poorly-worded power I've ever seen.

The Maximum 4 is for the Replacement Damage Value, not the maximum reduction to get the Replacement. You can't get more than the 4 Damage per shot without Perplexes and Enhancements.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm sure that's how it's supposed to work, but that's not how the thing is worded. There would be so many better ways to write that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

At this point they're probably just having interns do the wording.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanschel posted:

Next question: what do y'all use for storage? I've long since run out of room in my apartment and the boxes with ziplock baggies of sets is slowly overtaking my dining area. I wanna redo the shelving system in there anyway with some nice deep Ikea ones but I'd like to get some quality bins to go on the lower half of the shelves.

You know, the little plastic bubbles that hold the figure in the gravity feed packs are something you should save.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It's GAMA trade show time and Crit to Hit live updated their Facebook page from the WoL panel (read from bottom to top):

quote:

No news on Black Lantern Anti-Monitor or other color lantern batteries. Announcements coming soon on these.

Pics of all these slides will be on crittohit.com soon

3 John Stewart, 4 Jade, 5 classic Kyle, 6 Simon Baz.

2 is Guy Gardner!

Month 1 attendance GL is Rond Vidar.

Multiple primes in certain rarity levels.

Each WOL wave will have Primes, chases, constructs, rings, etc. Lots and lots of stuff.

Set release OP kits will continue as well.

Once per year storyline OP for 4 months.

$25 OP kits for four to five weeks of events with re-dialed figs and one unique.

Major updates to WES coming.

Multiple primes per rarity and chases? I can hardly contain my excitement :what:

gently caress everything about this event.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

WizKids seems to really be reaching a point where greed is overtaking commercial viability. They're going to burn out their player base. If they have another event like War of Light, I can see it going over like a lead balloon. I can even see people staying away from War of Light in droves given the fact that they're making it as hard to get as possible in a completely transparent "gently caress you, give us your money" move. They used to be a decent company. Now they're turning into a company that flat-out doesn't give a poo poo as long as people keep buying. I blame Michael Eisner.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think you're overreacting. Fear Itself was too goddamn easy to collect. That was a problem, remember? Not only for WizKids, but for the players too, because by Month 4 the FI boosters were squarely in "there's nothing in here I need, I hate having to buy this bullshit" territory and people stopped coming to events.

They're trying to fix the problem, and the way you fix a OP-only set being too easy to collect is to make it harder to collect. I agree that they're probably overcorrecting and making it too hard this time, but that doesn't mean they're evil money-grubbing villains out to destroy HeroClix, it means they're still trying to get the balance right.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It's likely more a bit of both. They realized there were complaints about the ease of collecting FI and thus altered the availability of WoL (since as I understand it there's significant time need to develop a set, so the figures were probably locked into the two-wave system before FI even began) to the four month schedule we got. When they announced how WoL was going to be released and heard complaints about that and general event fatigue they began looking at doing a single annual event instead.

At the same time Norm, Justin, and other employees have flat-out said they don't care about collectors or even the individual buying habits of players so long as venues and resellers continue buying sets til they sell out at the distributor level, which is a particularly terrible attitude to have when you make a collectible game.

There's also the fact that WoL was touted as having a more cost efficient alternative buying method than FI in order to help smaller venues bring in players, and it turns out you actually just get to pay the same amount for half as much product. Oh, and you need to buy a hell of a lot more upfront if you want to even think about having enough for the latter two months.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I think you're overreacting. Fear Itself was too goddamn easy to collect. That was a problem, remember? Not only for WizKids, but for the players too, because by Month 4 the FI boosters were squarely in "there's nothing in here I need, I hate having to buy this bullshit" territory and people stopped coming to events.

They're trying to fix the problem, and the way you fix a OP-only set being too easy to collect is to make it harder to collect. I agree that they're probably overcorrecting and making it too hard this time, but that doesn't mean they're evil money-grubbing villains out to destroy HeroClix, it means they're still trying to get the balance right.

I'm not saying they're out to actively destroy the cash cow behind the company. I'm saying they're letting greed blind them to sustainability. Initially it looked like they were merely overcorrecting, but throwing primes and chases into the mix while also only allowing people who don't live where there are more than one or two venues to get two to four packs per wave just twists the knife. You and Morand are lucky that way, living in an area that has multiple venues. I can get to a third I don't trust* in the city I work (and I have to drive 45 minutes to get there), but I'd have to take vacation time to even get to the one I don't normally play at because they play at 5:30 on Fridays. That one and my regular are about an equal drive away in the opposite direction.

I got enough of Fear Itself easily enough without having loads of extras by playing at one venue and doing a little trading. With War of Light, though, there's no way I'm going to get all the figures I want. I'm guessing the rares alone will probably run about $5-10 each even after the event is done. I don't even want to think of what the SRs or (Eris forbid) the chases will run unless I pull one. If I do pull a chase, I'll probably be able to fli pit in eBay and significantly knock down a small student loan I've got. Otherwise, though, I'm expecting this event will likely shaft a lot of fans of Lanterns, which they seem insistent on doing. time after time. I won't even be surprised if no Sinestro in the set has the Legion of Doom keyword.

* They tried to say "we didn't get the handcuffs" in NML6; when I expressed my disbelief they "double-checked" and were able to find them in just a few minutes.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I collect the pieces I want. Getting every piece is complete insanity at the rate that current sets are getting released.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Oh, look, another you've-got-to-be-making GBS threads-me-good Super Rare out of Yu-Gi-Oh in Harpie LadyCharge/Flurry and a top-dial 10 AV with a Precision Strike/Blades combo, pushing to go from 10 to 9 AV and picking up Combat Reflexes on top of her existing Super Senses for 99 points? I wonder if Wizkids didn't see the business model of stuff like Avengers Alliance and start doing that. Then again, it's more likely that it's Konami's idea, as discussed in the previous thread.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Oh, look, another you've-got-to-be-making GBS threads-me-good Super Rare out of Yu-Gi-Oh in Harpie LadyCharge/Flurry and a top-dial 10 AV with a Precision Strike/Blades combo, pushing to go from 10 to 9 AV and picking up Combat Reflexes on top of her existing Super Senses for 99 points? I wonder if Wizkids didn't see the business model of stuff like Avengers Alliance and start doing that. Then again, it's more likely that it's Konami's idea, as discussed in the previous thread.

You have no goddamn idea how happy I am that none of this is modern

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

You have no goddamn idea how happy I am that none of this is modern

No, considering my feelings on them, I think I have quite a good idea.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
In light of the new changes and production for the War of Light set/event, I'm really wondering how many random lantern figures we'll get. I know there are quite a few big names of lanterns that will attract attention, but are there really that many lanterns that will make the set extremely competitive to collect unless you are just obsessed with collecting every single lantern?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

SublimeDelusions posted:

In light of the new changes and production for the War of Light set/event, I'm really wondering how many random lantern figures we'll get

A metric fuckton: https://twitter.com/bigpoppamj

Generics for eight factions, looks like the chases are the 8 non-Black entities, Primes all seem to be just palette swaps from when somebody was in a different corps briefly (lots of Hals). TWO Superboy Primes; I expect those can be used towards a down payment on a car or house if you sell them.

Arnim Zola and Kingpin in Deadpool, along with Superior Spider-Ock and some attachable spider-bots.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 19, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I wonder if that man is aware you don't have to shake your camera to take a picture with it.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Sanschel posted:

A metric fuckton: https://twitter.com/bigpoppamj

Generics for eight factions, looks like the chases are the 8 non-Black entities, Primes all seem to be just palette swaps from when somebody was in a different corps briefly (lots of Hals). TWO Superboy Primes; I expect those can be used towards a down payment on a car or house if you sell them.

Arnim Zola and Kingpin in Deadpool, along with Superior Spider-Ock and some attachable spider-bots.

So, I was right that I probably won't care if I miss out on some figures in the set. But I also get the feeling I will get a ton of the ones I dont want, and all the named ones I do want will be extremely rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is that Superior Spider-Man with a Peter Parker ghost? Wow!

• Locked thread