Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.
Sunday badges are running low. Be sure to have your credit card information ready for payment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sunday badges are running low. Be sure to have your credit card information ready for payment!

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I would say get Sunday ticket (if that is even remotely possible now) just to have preregistered bonus to ordering tickets next year. But hell they may continue with this method of selling that makes it pointless to even do that.

Nevermind:

Comic-Con posted:

Comic-Con International 2014 badges have sold out! We thank all of your for your patronage and support!

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
So what's the risk with the replacement badge fee thing, wouldn't everyone just abuse this if it was easy to get away with?

clearlydemon
Feb 21, 2007

SOLD OUT

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mr. Onslaught posted:

So what's the risk with the replacement badge fee thing, wouldn't everyone just abuse this if it was easy to get away with?

Yeah you're right huh

should probably stick to using someone else's badge by having your friend bring it to you from inside

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Don't Troll Me, this is an emotional day..

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Don't Troll Me, this is an emotional day..

"Hello I need a replacement badge my name is Alan SMithee"

"Alan Smithee you are banned from Comic Con because someone with your name went streaking"

"wait what?!?! I genuinely lost it in the street! Some psycho must have picked it up and used mine!!!"

"Sorry rules are rules you are banned"

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

I just wanted to purchase merchandise for all my favorite and beloved characters such as X-Man and The Ray. Thanks for nothing, Comic Con International..

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

In all seriousness there's this thing called a "replacement badge" and for a fee they will "replace" it for you

and it will have the same name as the lost badge

and CC security being what it is they will of course ask you to produce a lost badge to verify that you lost said badge

1 of these statements is false

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I just wanted to purchase merchandise for all my favorite and beloved characters such as X-Man and The Ray. Thanks for nothing, Comic Con International..

Some of us could try to grab you what you wanted also.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

I'm surprised I've never heard of that because it seems like a pretty braindead way to get badges for people who don't have one. If you wanted to be ridiculously safe you could also have an ID that matched the name of the replacement badge with your picture on it :tinfoil:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm surprised I've never heard of that because it seems like a pretty braindead way to get badges for people who don't have one. If you wanted to be ridiculously safe you could also have an ID that matched the name of the replacement badge with your picture on it :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPF9AeHznE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Soarer posted:

Some of us could try to grab you what you wanted also.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously though you know that lines to buy stuff have gotten just as bad as Hall H used to be? and Hall H is some next level poo poo now. It's a race to see who can outsperg each other now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

edited email as requested

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
I managed to snag a thursday badge. This will be my first time at SDCC, I'm really looking forward to it. Now I just gotta save some money for all the stuff I'm going to buy...

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Alan Smithee posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously though you know that lines to buy stuff have gotten just as bad as Hall H used to be? and Hall H is some next level poo poo now. It's a race to see who can outsperg each other now

Last year a friend wanted some Skylanders thing and I figured I'd get up around 6am and grab it for them. I head over to where the line is to get a ticket which would later let me into a separate line to allow me to get a wristband that would let me get in line at a certain time to purchase the item. It's a good 1000 people long, wrapping around through the barricades. I asked a person about halfway through when they got there and they said 11pm the night before.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

milquetoast child posted:

Last year a friend wanted some Skylanders thing and I figured I'd get up around 6am and grab it for them. I head over to where the line is to get a ticket which would later let me into a separate line to allow me to get a wristband that would let me get in line at a certain time to purchase the item. It's a good 1000 people long, wrapping around through the barricades. I asked a person about halfway through when they got there and they said 11pm the night before.

The mind boggles. :psyduck: I feel like people spend more time waiting/camping in order to buy collectibles at MSRP, than they would spend working in order to afford a marked-up resale of the item on ebay. Same goes for those hoping to flip them for a profit: that 12 hours of waiting isn't going to amount to much on a per hour basis.

Unless you're in it "for the experience" and derive satisfaction from the hunt, it just seems like a terribly stressful venture. All of this is old news of course.

edit: It could also be that many people don't have rooms to stay in, and they just pick a line to "invest" in the night before when camping out. Someone mentioned that there's a trend of buying a 1-month gym membership in the nearby area in order to camp in lines overnight and then be able to take a shower/freshen up at will. Unfortunately, you can smell the campers who don't do this from a mile away :barf:

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

What's the next step from here? I never paid attention to the final desperation ways to get a badge, was it just hoping you see a random official sale on eBay that they did a few days before the Con?

Three years ago neither of my friends had badges and someone in this exact thread sold me the badges of him/his wife since they couldn't attend. We printed college IDs with photos of my friends/names of the guy who sold me the badges so that they could pick them up. They were sweating bullets while I watched laughing in the background, and ultimately the people who were handing out the badges didn't even check their ID since it was later in the day haha.

I think this was me. My wife and I bought a house that year, and that remains the only year I haven't gone since 2003.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

The mind boggles. :psyduck: I feel like people spend more time waiting/camping in order to buy collectibles at MSRP, than they would spend working in order to afford a marked-up resale of the item on ebay. Same goes for those hoping to flip them for a profit: that 12 hours of waiting isn't going to amount to much on a per hour basis.

Unless you're in it "for the experience" and derive satisfaction from the hunt, it just seems like a terribly stressful venture. All of this is old news of course.

edit: It could also be that many people don't have rooms to stay in, and they just pick a line to "invest" in the night before when camping out. Someone mentioned that there's a trend of buying a 1-month gym membership in the nearby area in order to camp in lines overnight and then be able to take a shower/freshen up at will. Unfortunately, you can smell the campers who don't do this from a mile away :barf:

Nothing on planet Earth is worth this

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
The whole thing is just way too crowded. I'm no veteran - my first year was '08 - but it sure as hell wasn't this bad the first few years I went. You could get up early and stand a good chance of getting into whatever you wanted to. You didn't have to sleep out overnight for nearly everything. And you could walk the floor without being packed in like sardines. Now the floor is so crowded every day (not just Sunday when the vendors have deals) that you can barely take pictures of cosplayers.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Alan Smithee posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, there were a couple times that I checked the thread while on the floor and saw someone asking for a wallscroll or some such, but every time I've gone to a booth to see if I could help them out the line's been ridiculous. If it's a con exclusive (or even is just being released at the con) it's probably not worth the hassle to get it for a stranger.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Now they have this lotto nonsense and I'm hopping mad!

:words:

My first con was 2005 and I did the thing where I walked up, filled out a card, and went in. I went again in 2007 but knew some professionals and got an extra badge from them since the tickets had sold out online and I assumed I'd be able to walk up and go in. So 2006 or 2007 must have been the first year to sell out.

While lottos are fair, it kills it for people you. The people that go every year for 20 years are the backbone of these types of conventions. At the same time, if they had a stronger grandfathering program, all of the tickets would get bought out by an aging population and the convention would assuredly eventually fade out of relevance.

This reminds me of, as a teenager, I learned that E3 became closed to only press and professionals since it was getting too crowded. It reminds me of how people used to be able to just show and up go watch the Masters tournament back in the 70s and 80s, and now you have to be rich or connected to get in.

I'm still going to comic con, but I'm starting to feel like I do about the NFL. It's cool to go see an NFL game live, just because of the atmosphere, but my house with an HDTV is arguably a better place to actually watch the game, and considerably cheaper.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jimmy James posted:

My first con was 2005 and I did the thing where I walked up, filled out a card, and went in. I went again in 2007 but knew some professionals and got an extra badge from them since the tickets had sold out online and I assumed I'd be able to walk up and go in. So 2006 or 2007 must have been the first year to sell out.

While lottos are fair, it kills it for people you. The people that go every year for 20 years are the backbone of these types of conventions. At the same time, if they had a stronger grandfathering program, all of the tickets would get bought out by an aging population and the convention would assuredly eventually fade out of relevance.

This reminds me of, as a teenager, I learned that E3 became closed to only press and professionals since it was getting too crowded. It reminds me of how people used to be able to just show and up go watch the Masters tournament back in the 70s and 80s, and now you have to be rich or connected to get in.

I'm still going to comic con, but I'm starting to feel like I do about the NFL. It's cool to go see an NFL game live, just because of the atmosphere, but my house with an HDTV is arguably a better place to actually watch the game, and considerably cheaper.

I stopped going to most panels a few years ago when a friend of mine said the best thing I'd ever heard. "There's always going to be someone with a closer seat and a better camera who's going to upload this to youtube 30 minutes after it's over." It also doesn't help that I realized 90% of panels, especially the big ones are just glorified commercials for a product. The only panel I ever went to that felt genuinely enriched afterwards was last year when they had John Lewis (D-GA) who talked about Martin Luther King, the march on Washington and being arrested 40 times. I guess it's still starfucking but a little different.

I used to do the Hasbro shuffle the first couple years I went. Then one year I showed up at 6 AM to get my ticket and it was for the next day and that was the last time I ever did that. Most exclusives you get from SDCC are almost impossible to flip for even what you paid for them 3 months outside the con. So either a) you have to buy it and immediately flip it if you're trying to make money (and even that's not a sure thing) or b) you wait a couple months for a price fall.

That's not to say this is how everyone should feel. I know people who sitting at the back of Hall H, where you can't even see the stage live, let alone who's on it, is what they live for simply to say you were there. There's people who sleep almost nothing and shower even less just to sit in the shadows or get that one loving toy because it's what they live for and enjoy.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The whole convention really is a love/hate relationship. I tend to hate actually being there, wedged between thousands of people just to move a few feet, and waiting in line for hours to buy an action figure. But, once it's over, I really miss it and can't wait for it to come back around again. I'm not a veteran by any means since I only started going a few years ago. I've only known it when it's crowded, so that may color my judgement of it.

I've found it's really what you make of it. You can sit there being miserable in line and among the crowds. But, personally, I love getting the opportunity to talk with like-minded fans and interesting characters. I still remember chats I've had with people I never got the names of or will ever see again, but they undoubtedly made the experience a positive one. Yes, waiting in line sucks rear end, but it's also really fun to go without sleep for one week of the year and just do whatever the gently caress you want in downtown San Diego every night because you're not at loving work for once. You're at goddamn Comic Con! It really is just an incredible atmosphere, and is really fun if you can accept it for what it's become. Really, I think the overall prices and difficulty getting hotel rooms is by-far the biggest drawback to SDCC now. Well over the lines and crowds.

Besides, I mostly go for the cosplayers and getting photos for work stuff. I don't know where the complaints are about not being able to get good shots. Maybe in the exhibit hall it's really crowded, but the outer halls are always open for great shots and have better light anyway. :)

It's the last year my Trade Pro badge is good, so I'm hoping to go all out and get a really great hotel closer to the convention (I had Sheraton last year up by the bay. Not bad but the bus was still 30 minutes after traffic). My girlfriend is going for the first time, so it'll be nice having fresh eyes taking it all in, even though she's not really a huge nerd. I really wish I could be a first-timer again and just be overwhelmed by it all.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 16, 2014

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Now the floor is so crowded every day (not just Sunday when the vendors have deals) that you can barely take pictures of cosplayers.

stop that. Take your pictures OUTSIDE SO EVERYONE CAN KEEP MOVING

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah most of the fun of the con is just the atmosphere. There is a fun hysterical atmosphere to being at a crazy panel that isn't captured in a video but there's plenty of it to be found everywhere downtown. We're still going even without tickets for at least a couple days. We'll grab tickets to a few outside the con things but mostly just booze nearby and soak in the crazy.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

There are a lot of potentially "unfun" things you end up doing at Comic-con such as standing lines, and they are going to take up a majority of your time. If you aren't doing anything to make more of/the most of these situations, you're going to end up being pretty miserable at the end of the day. I've never attended a panel that was worth the stress and worry of wondering whether I was going to make it in or not. I'm not saying that you need to get all buddy-buddy with people next to you in line in order to discover the True Meaning of Comic-Con, but if you're always thinking about the next thing, you'll miss everything.

Also, yeah, panels can mean different things for different people. I'm not that interested in the content of the television show/movie panels, but I love feeling the energy in the room when a big reveal happens. Otherwise I think my favorite panels are the ones that focus on "people" more than a particular subject. For example, Kevin Smith.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

There are a lot of potentially "unfun" things you end up doing at Comic-con such as standing lines, and they are going to take up a majority of your time. If you aren't doing anything to make more of/the most of these situations, you're going to end up being pretty miserable at the end of the day. I've never attended a panel that was worth the stress and worry of wondering whether I was going to make it in or not. I'm not saying that you need to get all buddy-buddy with people next to you in line in order to discover the True Meaning of Comic-Con, but if you're always thinking about the next thing, you'll miss everything.

Also, yeah, panels can mean different things for different people. I'm not that interested in the content of the television show/movie panels, but I love feeling the energy in the room when a big reveal happens. Otherwise I think my favorite panels are the ones that focus on "people" more than a particular subject. For example, Kevin Smith.

I went to the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead panels last year, and I whole-heartedly regretted standing in line for it. Most actors are kind of boring people to listen to. The best ones for me last year were Matt Stone and Trey Parker with a "I Know That Voice" in front of it. I'm going to stick to comedic actors, voice actors, and industry professionals. It sounded like all of the adult swim panels were great last year just by virtue of how funny the people are who do them. And industry professionals seem to be more forthcoming and generally have more interesting things to say. I'd pick a panel with the creator/director/personal assistant of something rather than the star of something all day.

They really need to start screening fan questions at a lot of these panels too. There are a lot of bad or repetitive questions.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Jimmy James posted:

I went to the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead panels last year, and I whole-heartedly regretted standing in line for it. Most actors are kind of boring people to listen to. The best ones for me last year were Matt Stone and Trey Parker with a "I Know That Voice" in front of it. I'm going to stick to comedic actors, voice actors, and industry professionals. It sounded like all of the adult swim panels were great last year just by virtue of how funny the people are who do them. And industry professionals seem to be more forthcoming and generally have more interesting things to say. I'd pick a panel with the creator/director/personal assistant of something rather than the star of something all day.

They really need to start screening fan questions at a lot of these panels too. There are a lot of bad or repetitive questions.

I went to those panels as well, and I agree, they were great. Cartoon Voices and Quick Draw are also fun ones that my brother and I regularly like to attend.

As for fan questions, I'm not sure what else they can do. I think the screeners are just there to determine whether a question is "appropriate" or not, and that's it. Of course, someone who is intentionally going to ask an inappropriate question is just going to give the screener a fake question instead (See: "Can I have a hug/autograph?" people). They don't let them determine what's good, bad, or repetitive because they may not be knowledgeable enough on the subject the panel is discussing to determine as much.

Some of the more entertaining panelists will straight-up say "That's a dumb question go sit your rear end back down." That's always satisfying.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Jimmy James posted:

I got in to most of the big panels last year, and I have to say the Roger Rabbit one beat them all as the best. The presentation of all the behind the scenes stuff and hearing from the animators and Roger's VA was way more interesting than hearing which dragon is Emilia Clark's favorite.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

As for fan questions, I'm not sure what else they can do. I think the screeners are just there to determine whether a question is "appropriate" or not, and that's it. Of course, someone who is intentionally going to ask an inappropriate question is just going to give the screener a fake question instead (See: "Can I have a hug/autograph?" people). They don't let them determine what's good, bad, or repetitive because they may not be knowledgeable enough on the subject the panel is discussing to determine as much.

They need to start taking peoples badges when they go to ask a question, and if you ask for a namecard or something you are not getting it back. Its been ridiculous the last couple years.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 18, 2014

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jimmy James posted:

I went to the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead panels last year, and I whole-heartedly regretted standing in line for it.

That was my first time doing the crazy wait and I enjoyed it but there was quite a contrast between the Walking Dead cast who seemed to really engage with their characters and be fired up about it and the GoT cast who (outside of Robb) seemed bewildered by fans and mostly seemed to just shrug the whole thing off.

It isn't that interesting to hear a bunch of people basically say they just read the scripts put in front of them. My wife was grumpy that all the actors also kept saying the pat phrase about how it is easy when the screenwriters have such great ideas and write great scripts and were ignoring the fat guy on stage who actually wrote the books.

I don't regret doing the wait but even if we got tickets we had agreed we were going to avoid Hall H.

The audience questions are definitely the worst thing about panels. A great moderator like Chris Hardwick tries hard to make it amusing but it is such a poo poo show. It would be so easy for the moderator to just read questions from twitter and filter them rather than this nonsense where people think of the same dumb questions while sprinting to the mic.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Sounds like some of you people need to ditch Hall H and head over to the Adult Swim stuff in Indigo if you want to see panels that are genuinely funny, unique, and engaging. I've gone for 2 years now and the panels have consistently cracked me up all day.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Space_Butler posted:

Sounds like some of you people need to ditch Hall H and head over to the Adult Swim stuff in Indigo if you want to see panels that are genuinely funny, unique, and engaging. I've gone for 2 years now and the panels have consistently cracked me up all day.

The Morel Orel panel from a few years ago was a hoot.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Space_Butler posted:

I went to the Regular Show panel last year. The panel was great and the questions were actually really engaging. The following panel was Adventure Time. The panel was great too including a guest appearance from Donald Glover w/song but the questions were god loving awful. I was gonna leave after the Adventure Time panel anyway but I left early in the question phase because it was that bad.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Questions from the audience at Comic-Con panels are always a train wreck waiting to happen. It's some of the best schadenfreude ever. People ask some really weird poo poo sometimes and you can feel the entire room squirming.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

FuzzySlippers posted:

That was my first time doing the crazy wait and I enjoyed it but there was quite a contrast between the Walking Dead cast who seemed to really engage with their characters and be fired up about it and the GoT cast who (outside of Robb) seemed bewildered by fans and mostly seemed to just shrug the whole thing off.

It isn't that interesting to hear a bunch of people basically say they just read the scripts put in front of them. My wife was grumpy that all the actors also kept saying the pat phrase about how it is easy when the screenwriters have such great ideas and write great scripts and were ignoring the fat guy on stage who actually wrote the books.

Apropos of nothing, my wife and I saw Billie Dee Williams at Phoenix Comic-con a year or two ago, and he was AWFUL. Maybe we were spoiled because we had seen Bill Shatner, Leonard Nemoy, Stan Lee and a bunch of other stars who have absolutely got their con poo poo together. But this is exactly what Billie Dee said over and over again, "I dunno, I did it because I wanted to get paid." Worst celebrity I've ever seen give a panel.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Satorr posted:

Questions from the audience at Comic-Con panels are always a train wreck waiting to happen. It's some of the best schadenfreude ever. People ask some really weird poo poo sometimes and you can feel the entire room squirming.

I remember one year at a Doctor Who/Torchwood panel when they ended the questioning, a girl who didn't get to ask her question ran out of the room crying.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Shawn posted:

Apropos of nothing, my wife and I saw Billie Dee Williams at Phoenix Comic-con a year or two ago, and he was AWFUL. Maybe we were spoiled because we had seen Bill Shatner, Leonard Nemoy, Stan Lee and a bunch of other stars who have absolutely got their con poo poo together. But this is exactly what Billie Dee said over and over again, "I dunno, I did it because I wanted to get paid." Worst celebrity I've ever seen give a panel.

From my understanding, Billie Dee basically is Lando. There's nothing he won't do for money but don't expect him to do it well. Just look at his appearance on Dancing with the Stars. He's basically just standing there with his "Lando grin" while his partner does everything around him.

Harrison Ford I hear is a close second to bad panelists, although it depends on the tone set during the questioning. If you jump right out with the Indy and Han questions, he'll just shut the gently caress down but if you actually engage him beyond those characters, he's much better, not great but definitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lando always packs a .45 at fan gatherings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM

Also if you are really hard up to get some exclusive merch you could always take a chance and ask a linesperg if they'd be willing to buy you something for a 20 on top. Assuming they aren't shadyish it could work out for the both of you.

• Locked thread