Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dogos are some real big dogs with a potnetial for a huge prey drive instinct with very very rare cases of dog aggression. That site looks like they're utterly bonkers for dogos. I'd be more worried about your mom getting yanked over because a 10 month old dogo decides to go for a squirrel. Has she considered an older dog that's been taught some restraint already?

I'll be honest and say I don't know if dogos are really established enough in the US to have "good" and "bad" breeders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Dogos are some real big dogs with a potnetial for a huge prey drive instinct with very very rare cases of dog aggression. That site looks like they're utterly bonkers for dogos. I'd be more worried about your mom getting yanked over because a 10 month old dogo decides to go for a squirrel. Has she considered an older dog that's been taught some restraint already?

I'll be honest and say I don't know if dogos are really established enough in the US to have "good" and "bad" breeders.

Well, there aren't many squirrels where we live. Some background, to address potential concerns people might have (and possibly create new ones I should know about so I can try to address them here):

We live out in the middle of nowhere, basically. Family farm, lot of room, not many people. Both of my parents have experience with raising and training big dogs, specifically pit bulls, and my dad has also trained hunting dogs quite a bit. I don't think either of them really walked their dogs much, though; as I stated, both are used to living in places where, well, there was enough room for their dogs to run wherever they want. Dad's German shorthaired pointer eats a lot but is still really thin because she runs for miles every day, just because she can and wants to, to use the dog we currently have as an example. (Actually, on that topic, I'm somewhat curious about how that is seen here. It's definitely not the norm, given the advice here assumes you're living in the city and whatnot, but is there anything particularly bad about letting your dogs be somewhat free-roaming? For the dogs, I mean, like health-wise or anything. And on private property out in the middle of nowhere, of course; obviously it's an amazingly stupid idea if you live in the city.) Edit: Bit of clarification, they do (or did) do things with their dogs to get them exercise and stuff, there just isn't really any leashing and walking around the house or anything because, well, yeah. Don't worry, they're not neglectful.

We do have a couple of cats, though. They aren't terrified of dogs or anything, and the dogs out here don't mind them; aforementioned pointer, for example, does not pay any attention to the cats. That is definitely a thing that we'll be careful of, though, making sure that the dog gets to know the cats and vice versa when it's still young.

And that site was just an example, not the only one I checked out. Mentioned them specifically because they had some things that seemed odd to me, like that "We do not rate our Dogos as Show / Pet quality. Our Dogo Argentino’s are breeding stock and are priced accordingly", or that they "do not sell Dogos to those that intend to spay or neuter them". I don't know if these are warning signs, but something about them is making me wary. Other sites I checked out are just, well, a lot like what most breeder sites I've seen seem to be. Lot of "look how awesome our dogs are and all the awards they won", little else and thus it being rather hard to tell if they're actually decent breeders or not.

I suppose I might just end up trying to email/call all the ones I can find that are in the state and try to evaluate them that way. Bit of work but, well, there aren't really many dogo breeders here at all so it shouldn't take too long. Advice or information if anyone happens to know about some breeder or other is appreciated, though.

But, yeah, for anyone wondering about that stuff, this isn't going to be a city dog and, despite that I think my mom's got rose-colored glasses on when it comes to the breed, she and my dad both have a lot of experience with dogs, including big ones. Though, any potential concerns or things I should take a look at or figure out for them are definitely appreciated nonetheless.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 20, 2014

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I used Siegfried as a mascot for a student political party at my university in the middle of the year, and a photo taken of him by a fan popped up in a random's online dating profile recently. Nobody has any idea who the jTorche is. He certainly didn't ask permission to use Siegfried's likeness. But that's OK. He's perfectly happy to help dorks get laid. His slobbery love knows no bounds.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I used Siegfried as a mascot for a student political party at my university in the middle of the year, and a photo taken of him by a fan popped up in a random's online dating profile recently. Nobody has any idea who the jTorche is. He certainly didn't ask permission to use Siegfried's likeness. But that's OK. He's perfectly happy to help dorks get laid. His slobbery love knows no bounds.

According to your match, you should totally be jTorche's friend. Get on that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Have to take Gracie in for xrays tomorrow. She hurt her front leg somehow last week and the medication helped her a bit, but now she is having issues with her hind legs. A lot of the same symptoms of hip dysplasia :(

When we took her to the vet last week she had lost over 25 pounds since the last time she was in so that was promising. The rear hip thing started almost later that day though :(

She's having trouble standing up sometimes, like her rear muscles just aren't working and walking her hips are swaying a lot more than they normally do. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and still wants to play, she's just a little wobbly when walking. She was originally put on some anti-inflammatory meds for her front paw and reading the side effects one was loss of co-ordination so we were hoping that was causing the wobbly walking, but after having her off of those meds for a week her hind legs are still an issue. She's going on 9 years old so it was about time for some issues to come up, just sucks seeing her like this when just a few weeks ago she was running around the yard like a crazy girl.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen had that issue. He was actually falling when he tried to climb into bed and tried to get up. 150mg of vetprofen a day has fixed him up to the point where gallops around the yard again no problem. Hopefully you guys have the same luck

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Balen had that issue. He was actually falling when he tried to climb into bed and tried to get up. 150mg of vetprofen a day has fixed him up to the point where gallops around the yard again no problem. Hopefully you guys have the same luck

Oh man, here's hoping too. Just pains me to see her struggle to even get outta bed. Once she's up and walking it's not so bad, just sometimes seems her back legs give out on her completely and makes me all :cry:

Here's a picture of Archer in his normal sleeping position to lighten the mood.

Note that the couch is big enough to comfortably hold 4 adults or 2 Great Danes

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 29, 2014

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of Dogos, they're completely banned in Australia (along with a few others, too).

I've never even heard of a Japanese Tosa or fila Brasileiro.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_reg_es/ciar200432004n121566.html

Also, no pibbles whatsoever.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

crowtribe posted:

On the topic of Dogos, they're completely banned in Australia (along with a few others, too).

I've never even heard of a Japanese Tosa or fila Brasileiro.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_reg_es/ciar200432004n121566.html

Also, no pibbles whatsoever.

No pibbles except for the ones dual registered as amstaffs that get imported from the US, and all the pibbles already in Qld and NT being bred for pigging. :colbert: But yeah government those sure are some effective and worthwhile laws.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Mouse loving loves Chicago winters.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Call of Cholula posted:

Mouse loving loves Chicago winters.

Awww, the frost under his chin is adorable :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
ERMAHGERD!!!!!! SNERRR! :derp:

He's kinda scary looking in this :ohdear:

Snow brings out Ozzie's maximum derpiness. :3:

Sage is unimpressed, as usual.

...and always slightly out of focus. :argh:

Ozzie trying to look cool and composed.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

ERMAHGERD!!!!!! SNERRR! :derp:

He's kinda scary looking in this :ohdear:

Snow brings out Ozzie's maximum derpiness. :3:

Sage is unimpressed, as usual.

...and always slightly out of focus. :argh:

Ozzie trying to look cool and composed.

Great pictures! I think my dogs would freak at snow. My boy doesn't even like to get his paws wet after it rains and he has to go outside and pee!

Also, Gracie and Sage could be long lost sisters!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 13, 2014

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Couch potatoes

jackchaos fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 12, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I would love to see your dogs but your pic host is terrible, dude. Imgur is the way to go.

E: Awesome. :3: Awww

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 14, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spoiled rotten.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

mattfl posted:

Spoiled rotten.

I love that tragic look Danes get, no matter how pampered they are being at the moment the photo gets taken. Danespair.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I love that tragic look Danes get, no matter how pampered they are being at the moment the photo gets taken. Danespair.

It's funny, my fiance took that picture and said he sat like that for a good 10 minutes while she was getting ready for work. As if he was saying, I am the king of this house, all of this is mine, I just let you guys live here with me. Most of that is true..

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
My wife has finally come to the agreement that a LGD is an exceptionally poor fit for our house, and we are going to have to rehome our Akbash. Fortunately it seems that a sheep farm near Santa Cruz, CA is interested in him.

I've told her that a Mastiff would be a much better fit, since we'd prefer something large, good with kids, and not a barker. She is interested in an Irish Wolfhound, but I'm a little leery of a sighthound. Especially since we have a couple of cats in our house. Anyone know much about Irish Wolfhounds?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You need a lab. That's all you need. The last thing you need is a giant dog with a pushy (if loving) attitude that will shoot off after prey smells. Get a lab or a golden. It is a perfect fit for you. PI already talked to you about this in two separate threads and the answer really isn't going to change because what you want out of a dog isn't going to change. And that's okay. It's cool to have a doofy retriever who just wants to hang out and play ball all day.

I look forward to you getting a giant breed anyway, having no idea what you're doing, and rehoming it before the christmas holidays. Hope it isn't a dane!

E: If you want something super special or whatever, look into flat coated retrievers, maybe curly coated retrievers and see if you like those.

E2: Any giant dog will bark it's dumb head off when it decides it wants to. I mean technically any dog will but giant breeds are particularly great at a huge deep booming bark that rattles your chandelier because they saw a UPS man down the block. Some individuals are also super talky and will moan and yawn and all sorts of poo poo endlessly at you. You do not want a giant breed. You want a retriever. Look at retrievers.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 15, 2014

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You need a lab. That's all you need. The last thing you need is a giant dog with a pushy (if loving) attitude that will shoot off after prey smells. Get a lab or a golden. It is a perfect fit for you. PI already talked to you about this in two separate threads and the answer really isn't going to change because what you want out of a dog isn't going to change. And that's okay. It's cool to have a doofy retriever who just wants to hang out and play ball all day.

I look forward to you getting a giant breed anyway, having no idea what you're doing, and rehoming it before the christmas holidays. Hope it isn't a dane!

E: If you want something super special or whatever, look into flat coated retrievers, maybe curly coated retrievers and see if you like those.

E2: Any giant dog will bark it's dumb head off when it decides it wants to. I mean technically any dog will but giant breeds are particularly great at a huge deep booming bark that rattles your chandelier because they saw a UPS man down the block. Some individuals are also super talky and will moan and yawn and all sorts of poo poo endlessly at you. You do not want a giant breed. You want a retriever. Look at retrievers.

This this this times a BILLION.

Also. Seriously man. No matter how many times you call the dog an akbash it will never become true.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Oxford Comma posted:

My wife has finally come to the agreement that a LGD is an exceptionally poor fit for our house, and we are going to have to rehome our Akbash. Fortunately it seems that a sheep farm near Santa Cruz, CA is interested in him.

I've told her that a Mastiff would be a much better fit, since we'd prefer something large, good with kids, and not a barker. She is interested in an Irish Wolfhound, but I'm a little leery of a sighthound. Especially since we have a couple of cats in our house. Anyone know much about Irish Wolfhounds?

Mastiffs bark. They were bred to be guard dogs, they guard.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
As someone who has worked with several mastiffs, don't get a mastiff.

Get a fat, happy, older lab or golden from a shelter, it sounds like that is exactly what's going to fit your lifestyle.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd be content with a lab. But the wife wants A Big Dog, so....

cryingscarf posted:

Also. Seriously man. No matter how many times you call the dog an akbash it will never become true.

I know I do my share of shitposting, and sometimes I can be the goon in a well. But I've introduced our dog to THREE people who work with or breed Akbash dogs and they agree that's what our dog is. I mean, I don't give a poo poo about its bloodlines other than I think it's neat. You will never believe me, and that's cool. Just know that I'll take the word of people who've seen the dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Don't take this viciously. I mean this gently, alright? A very long time ago I had a dog that was, no doubt, shihtzu english setter mix. And he looked literally 100% like a havanese, but he was enormous. He also looked 100% just like my aunt's dog, which was a cocker spaniel beagle mutt. Just because a dog looks a certain way does not make that dog that particular breed. Without paperwork and a dna test to back it up, nobody reputable would ever believe that dog is an akbash. And maybe not even then.

Retrievers are not small dogs and a big dog may easily kill your cats without meaning to. Amythest nearly killed Kaydee last August because she decided to play too rough, and Kaydee is a 25 pound dog not a little 8 pound cat. Big dogs must be managed in ways that I honestly don't think you guys are up for. They can be as cat friendly as they want but a mastiff walking downstairs may not see the cat tucked in the stairwell until it's too late and then that cat is probably dead from 200 pounds of dog landing on it's organs.

This isn't even taking into account the idea of a mastiff being a 5 year old dog and you paying $200 a month in pills because it's got joint issues. Glucosamine and -carefully- monitoring weight and there's just so, so freaking much that goes along with upkeep with giant dogs if you're going to do it right. They can be great but you want a relatively quiet dog that wants to chill out on the beach with you and play. You want a dog that's fairly mentally low maintenance. No giant breed is and if you don't keep them mentally stimulated they will find ways to gently caress up everything around them because they're bored. That can be said for any dog, but when you have a 200 pound mastiff that suddenly decides it wants to go through a door, it is going through that door much more easily than the 60 pound golden mutt. And as I said before, the cost. Oh my god the cost, dude. Besides dog food and nutritional requirements and possible medication, pet insurance is skyrocket for these guys.

Your lifestyle, your wants, and everything you have ever posted literally ever say you want a nice doofy retriever. There are some pretty big retrievers out there. A 200 pound dog is not a big dog: it is an enormous animal that can tear parts of you off if you piss it off, and easily murder your cats just by accidentally falling on them. Go to a shelter, find a tall retriever mutt that wants a playmate. You and your wife will be really happy about it. Honest. You will. There's loads of giant breed mutted up with retrievers at most shelters, too, for the extra height that your wife thinks she wants.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't take this viciously. I mean this gently, alright? A very long time ago I had a dog that was, no doubt, shihtzu english setter mix. And he looked literally 100% like a havanese, but he was enormous. He also looked 100% just like my aunt's dog, which was a cocker spaniel beagle mutt. Just because a dog looks a certain way does not make that dog that particular breed. Without paperwork and a dna test to back it up, nobody reputable would ever believe that dog is an akbash. And maybe not even then.

Retrievers are not small dogs and a big dog may easily kill your cats without meaning to. Amythest nearly killed Kaydee last August because she decided to play too rough, and Kaydee is a 25 pound dog not a little 8 pound cat. Big dogs must be managed in ways that I honestly don't think you guys are up for. They can be as cat friendly as they want but a mastiff walking downstairs may not see the cat tucked in the stairwell until it's too late and then that cat is probably dead from 200 pounds of dog landing on it's organs.

This isn't even taking into account the idea of a mastiff being a 5 year old dog and you paying $200 a month in pills because it's got joint issues. Glucosamine and -carefully- monitoring weight and there's just so, so freaking much that goes along with upkeep with giant dogs if you're going to do it right. They can be great but you want a relatively quiet dog that wants to chill out on the beach with you and play. You want a dog that's fairly mentally low maintenance. No giant breed is and if you don't keep them mentally stimulated they will find ways to gently caress up everything around them because they're bored. That can be said for any dog, but when you have a 200 pound mastiff that suddenly decides it wants to go through a door, it is going through that door much more easily than the 60 pound golden mutt. And as I said before, the cost. Oh my god the cost, dude. Besides dog food and nutritional requirements and possible medication, pet insurance is skyrocket for these guys.

Your lifestyle, your wants, and everything you have ever posted literally ever say you want a nice doofy retriever. There are some pretty big retrievers out there. A 200 pound dog is not a big dog: it is an enormous animal that can tear parts of you off if you piss it off, and easily murder your cats just by accidentally falling on them. Go to a shelter, find a tall retriever mutt that wants a playmate. You and your wife will be really happy about it. Honest. You will. There's loads of giant breed mutted up with retrievers at most shelters, too, for the extra height that your wife thinks she wants.

This is fair.

I hope I don't come off as a defensive rear end in a top hat. The handler we hired to work with our GIANT WHITE MYSTERY DOG recommended a Mastiff to us, if we wanted a large dog since they were pretty chill, and not prone to the health problems of a Great Dane. All the other information I've found supports this. So I'm in the position of getting advice from PI that contradicts what I've read/been told everywhere else.

Anyways, since Mastiff puppies are going for about $1500 I really doubt that's the direction we will go. I will try to persuade my wife that a lab would be better for us.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Oxford Comma posted:

This is fair.

I hope I don't come off as a defensive rear end in a top hat. The handler we hired to work with our GIANT WHITE MYSTERY DOG recommended a Mastiff to us, if we wanted a large dog since they were pretty chill, and not prone to the health problems of a Great Dane. All the other information I've found supports this. So I'm in the position of getting advice from PI that contradicts what I've read/been told everywhere else.

Anecdotal evidence and all, but every mastiff I've met has been a LOT more energetic than the owners thought they would. Its like boxers - they were bred to do a job (in the case of mastiff's, patrol with people and bite dudes). Yes, a lot are fairly low key, but they are BIG, they drool, and they are loving EXPENSIVE to upkeep. I'm going to beat this in like everyone else has - get a nice lab/retriever/something along those lines. They're big but not huge, and other than most lines being walking cancer factories, don't have ~quite~ the prevalence of issues that other breeds can have. Even something like a Bernese/Swiss mountain dog or a Newfie is a better choice, but, once again, large dogs just cost more overall and tend to die younger.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Oxford Comma posted:

This is fair.

Anyways, since Mastiff puppies are going for about $1500 I really doubt that's the direction we will go. I will try to persuade my wife that a lab would be better for us.

Just get an adult lab from a rescue. The advice you are getting outside of PI would be good if you appeared to be ready and able to deal with Big Dog Problems, but you aren't and your wife isn't.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

This is fair.

It definitely doesn't have to be a lab (but it totally could be, labs are awesome). Have you looked at the retriever breeds? There's a few different ones and they share most of the same attitudes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retriever#Retrievers_include Toposimawhateverthehell has a nova scotia one though Pippa is deaf. She might be able to tell you more about them. Chesapeakes are a little more bullheaded than the others and can be barkier and defensive around strangers, but they're still good dogs.

Mastiffs have plenty of their own issues, and most of them match up with Dane problems. Almost all the giant Molosser breeds have joint issues, bone cancer, heart problems and a number of other potential issues just because of their sizes. Mastiffs are far from being healthier than Danes and easily come down with the same poo poo as Danes do.

That last bit about "Well yes but everyone else says" is basically what you said about the furry horse that you've come to decide is wrong for you now, after PI told you it was wrong for you. I'm not saying PI's collective opinion is infalliable. It certainly isn't and it's been proven wrong plenty of times before. If you didn't have the cats I might even say a wolfhound wasn't the worst breed you could pick if you were financially able to deal with a possible $2000 vet bill (or sudden euthanasia) at any time due to bloat (and that goes for all the giant breeds, again) or a million other things that happen every day with any number of dogs. But you have the cats and while cats and giant breeds can get along okay, there's so much worry there that it's really not worth it unless you know that dog is 100% capable of dealing with cats. And that's a fairly rare dog.

If you're balking at $1500 for a puppy, you definitely want to stay away from these dogs because everything costs a fortune for them. Seriously man. Good luck persuading your wife. I hope you manage to do it and I hope you post a cute little flat coat or somethin soon.

E: Re: Energy- Giant breeds in general are great at being couch potatos for most of the day but holy poo poo if they get excited legs fly everywhere and ears and drool and tails and your family's moss covered three handled credenza ends up on the 2nd story of your house somehow. A giant breed is usually just as happy to lay on the couch as it is to run it's heart out (sometimes literally) but yeah, some certain individuals (coughamycough) tend to be explosive and need loads of exercise ala boxers.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 16, 2014

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Have you tried checking out local shelters/rescues with a foster program (I'm sure you have, probably a dumb question)? Maybe find a foster who knows for sure how the dog does with cats and kids, knows their energy level, etc. That would definitely be the route I'd go. You can find all sorts of derpy huge dogs in shelters/rescues if you look hard enough. You need a very specific kind of dog (good with kids and cats). Size should not be a priority and your wife needs to be okay with making a compromise on that front. No sense overlooking a dog perfect for your family just because it's not the right size.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Skizzles posted:

Have you tried checking out local shelters/rescues with a foster program (I'm sure you have, probably a dumb question)? Maybe find a foster who knows for sure how the dog does with cats and kids, knows their energy level, etc. That would definitely be the route I'd go. You can find all sorts of derpy huge dogs in shelters/rescues if you look hard enough. You need a very specific kind of dog (good with kids and cats). Size should not be a priority and your wife needs to be okay with making a compromise on that front. No sense overlooking a dog perfect for your family just because it's not the right size.

I am pressing the wife hard on this very point. I don't care much about the dog's size, as much as I do about its temperament. Something like a Lab or whatnot would be good, as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing I don't want is a small, obnoxious dog.

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 16, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Big dogs can be obnoxious too.

You want to know about Irish Wolfhounds? My neighbor has one (his name is Guinness) and he is gigantic. Like small pony big. If he's looking out their bay window and sees me and Linus as we walk by, he barks just like any other dog, regardless of size, will. He's torn up their backyard something fierce. He was a serious handful during doggy adolescence.

They had to seriously hunker down and concentrate on his training for almost the entire time they've had him because: 1) He's like 110+ pounds and could easily pin a grown human. 2) He's big enough that he'd seriously injure almost any other dog if it got too rough during play. And 3) I'm 260 pounds and my 45-50 pound mutt can give me serious pulls on a walk if he bolts. Imagine what a dog at least twice that size could do to its owner if not properly behaved.

That said, they've done a phenomenal job with him. He loves people coming up to him and petting him. He doesn't pull my neighbor on walks and doesn't play too rough with others. He's sweet but obedient but it's taken a year and a half to get there (so far).

My neighbors also spend a fortune on food alone (they also have a great dane too which doesn't help).

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Or a greyhound/lurcher maybe?

This is our massive beast:

He can bark if he's out in the back garden, but he basically spends all his time asleep on the couch with his head buried in my armpit. He is absolutely huge (no issues putting his paws on my shoulders while standing on his back legs). He's also a really chill rear end dog - massively exuberant when we get home from work but basically a log after that.

E.T.A: Is it wrong that I also really really want an Irish Wolfhound.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Oxford Comma posted:

This is fair.

Look dude, you should listen to Fluffy Bunnies, this goon's advice is solid. You do not need a purebred dog. I don't know what's going on with your wife but if she just wants a nice big dopey canine companion that is not too much work than you really should look at a short-coated retriever or lab mutt. Most lab mutts are more labby than the other things they are mixed with.

Alternatively, go to a shelter, find the fattest brownest dog you can, take it home, tell your wife size doesn't matter it's the love you get from it that fulfills you. (Am I right ladies? Too big is painful and uncomfortable!)

I have no idea what your area is but I did some cursory looking about in my old stomping ground of Cleveland and look, I just found you your perfect dog in fifteen seconds. Right here. That is a face that wants love!

You could also get a black lab as "big" black dogs are often put down at shelters since few people get them thanks to media bullshit and what have you. Black labs are pretty much the same in personality as yellow labs. I had a black lab/golden retriever growing up named Bishop and he was the best dog ever. :3:

Look I found you another dog in the Cleveland area, holyshit look at that faaaace :kimchi: If you get a younger dog (like this one) it's adorable puppiness should ingratiate it on your wife in a few weeks.

I once dated a girl who thought she was too good for mutts, that they were trashy dogs unsuited for a woman of her stature, we didn't work out. I'm not going to insinuate this is what's going on with your wife but man these posts other goons are making remind me of so many talks I had with her.
(Barkley here would be no effort, he is already crate trained and a good boy!)

Anyway, :siren: Fluffy Bunnies is right and you should heed them. :siren:

Here's another adorable lab mutt on pet finder to close out the thread. I'mma be honest, if I still lived in Ohio I would go get Sassy right now.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I saw a LEONBERGER at the vet today! I got to pet her for 3 whole minutes and I still want one so bad.

I wish I'd taken a picture.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Here is a big ol' dog from my dog park, his name is Bullet and he is a Rottweiller/Neapolitan Mastiff.

He is 7 months old and weighs about 70kg. He is super sweet and gentle but kind of dumb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

He has such an odd nose

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I have to take Kipp to the vet tomorrow. He's been licking his feet more than usual, and has some weird blister/nodule things between his toes. We're wondering if it is allergy related.

Our allergy dog has actually been doing better here in Reno that anywhere else we've lived, but who knows.

Out first time taking him to a vet since we moved. He's reactive to other dogs so should be interesting if there's an unexpected dog in the waiting room (we specifically asked for a slow-time appointment).

Otherwise there big goof has been enjoying the move to a drier climate. He doesn't get to come to work with me anymore so I am kind of bored at the office. I mentioned I had a 140lb lap dog who was used to being the office mascot and had some pretty scared eyes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

He has such an odd nose

That is a very odd nose for those two breeds. Looks like a superbly doofy dog that just wants to sit in your lap all day, though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171820&pagenumber=63#post428011443