Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Not sure what you mean by flexible, but I would suggest Marvel Heroes. A lot of dudes to be clicked in that game.
Lots of builds and skills to mess around with, would be my guess? Which I'm not so sure is something MH excels at, as there usually aren't more than two or three distinct, "viable" builds per character.

Granted it does feature a lot of characters, but you can't unlock them particularly quickly unless you spend real money. I really like MH, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to someone who's looking for a great deal of build variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I've been on an ARPG kick recently. Are there any ARPGs that are as flexible as Path of Exile while being a little more transparent and forgiving?

Titan Quest. It's a bit old (though graphically actually a bit better than PoE) but the class system is pretty neat as there aren't preset classes, just a collection of skill trees of which you can pick 2. If you get the gold version, run the base game once before installing the expansion or you'll have issues.

Most ARPGs lock you into a class more than PoE does, but they also tend to have more skill variety.

EDIT: \/ PoE is designed around you rolling a lot of different characters once you get past the normal difficulty to gradually figure out the build you want and if it's viable. It's made for people who have a lot of spare time.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Marvel Heroes recently. My biggest issue with it is that since it's a little unfinished, you tend to be shuffled into a few obvious builds (ie procs, pets, and dodge aren't in a good place right now). I do really like the variety of playstyles and the uniques that change up the gameplay, though. Path of Exile looks cool but I hear it gets really unforgiving at high levels and has a lot of 'trap' choices.

e: hopefully the answer is "Marvel Heroes once Gaz patches it up more" but Lord only knows when of if that'll happen.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 15, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have just finished Blood Dragon. Are there any other games that makes you feel completely overpowered, with ridiculously over the top action? I have already played the Saints Row games and Bulletstorm.

PC only.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just finished Blood Dragon. Are there any other games that makes you feel completely overpowered, with ridiculously over the top action? I have already played the Saints Row games and Bulletstorm.

PC only.
Just Cause 2

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

PC only.

Prototype is a fun romp with increasingly absurd power-ups

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fat Samurai posted:

PC only.

Maybe Prototype or EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

In Prototype, a virus gave you superpowers and you jump/wall-climb around Manhattan as the city goes to poo poo under quarantine. You eat dudes, morph your body into a giant hammer or pair of claws, and explode in a mass of giant tentacles to kill enemies like police, soldiers, helicopters, tanks, and zombie-like monstrosities of various sizes, all while earning XP to spend on upgrading your powers. The gameplay is great, the story is entirely forgettable, and the boss battles are some of the worst designed I have ever had the misfortune to experience. Seriously, since you're on PC, you might want to look into cheats or a trainer to get you past the boss battles. They are awful. But if you want to be an evil superhero and cause mayhem, Prototype is pretty good. It had a sequel, Prototype 2, that is apparently more of the same but with some better boss battles. I've never played it, but maybe look into that?

EYE: Divine Cybermancy is best described as a Deus Ex fever dream set in a Warhammer 40K-like universe in the Source engine. You are a warrior monk for the organization EYE, a secret organization within the Secreta Secretorum, which is itself a secret organization within an interplanetary Federation. Wear power armor, wield giant hammers or enormous miniguns, and use psi-powers to hack and slash through a variety of monsters, gun-toting bandits and soldiers, and enemy warrior monks. This game has some of the best gunplay ever. The guns have real weight to them when you fire, each feels distinctive, and each have their uses. My typical loadout would have a solid-feeling AK style gun, a pistol that felt like a goddamn cannon going off in your hand, and an ENORMOUS loving warhammer. You start out relatively weak, but through research and grinding for money, you can buy all kinds of cybernetic upgrades. The levels themselves are well-designed and probably the largest of their kind in a Source-engine game. The whole thing is really well done gameplay wise. The story is weird as hell, and all the NPCs speak in a fake French ish language, so don't buy it for the story, maybe.

edit: gently caress yes, Just Cause 2 if you haven't played that, for sure.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Something like Dungeon Siege. Party-based dungeon-crawly rpg, kind of fast-paced. PC only

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Jackie D posted:

Something like Dungeon Siege. Party-based dungeon-crawly rpg, kind of fast-paced. PC only

Magicka, although it doesn't have the loot of a dungeon crawler.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jackie D posted:

Torchlight, Path of Exile?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Subjunctive posted:

Torchlight, Path of Exile?

They're good, I played them both, was thinking controlling a team, like Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age or something like that

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Diablo 3. :v:

Are there any good civ-esque games but either fantasy or sci fi because I am a nerd? I wanted to play Alpha Centauri but it won't run on my computer. rip.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Anatharon posted:

Are there any good civ-esque games but either fantasy or sci fi because I am a nerd?

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Eador: Genesis (or the remake)
Galactic Civilizations 2
Space Empires IV or V

Anatharon posted:

I wanted to play Alpha Centauri but it won't run on my computer. rip.

What, you don't have a dedicated machine for playing SMAC at all times? :colbert:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Are there any good civ-esque games but either fantasy or sci fi because I am a nerd? I wanted to play Alpha Centauri but it won't run on my computer. rip.

Fall from Heaven 2 for Civ 4.
Dominions 4
Seconding Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (pick it up at GOG)
Gal Civ 2 is eh. It's probably the best successor to Masters of Orion out there, but it just feels so bland.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yeah, I got bored of GalCiv pretty fast, but hey, the guy wanted sci-fi 4x.

Master of Orion 1 & 2 are still excellent despite their age. Ascendancy is pretty cool as well.

But seriously, what you really want is get SMAC to run. Trust me on this, ok? Sell your shitputer if you have to and buy a WinXP machine or something. I mean it, son, you'll thank me later.

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the help. I'll have a look at Prototype 1/2. Already played Just Cause, and yes, if you want explosions, that's the game to play.

Hell, the main character hums "the ride of the Valkyries" each time you fly a helicopter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is all you need to know about Prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOfg1tKY_A

If that doesn't have you running for your wallet nothing ever will.
The team behind Prototype had previously made The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype is very much the successor to that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 16, 2014

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Jackie D posted:

They're good, I played them both, was thinking controlling a team, like Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age or something like that

http://www.gog.com/game/aarklash_legacy

Aarklash Legacy is all about controlling a party of four in realtime with pausing and it's on sale right now.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Anatharon posted:

Cantorsdust posted:

Dominions 4

This is kind of the gold standard for fantasy grand strategy right now. You play as an empire based on historical cultures and mythologies but with all their magical elements completely real and taken to kind of Warhammer 40k-esque levels of absurdity, like Aztec animal warriors who turn into their totemic form when they bleed, or frost giants from Norse cosmology, or the cultural melting pot that was the Phoenician trade empire in the process of being corrupted by sacrificial religions. All the gods are real, all the demons are real, the roma fortune teller muttering at a curse at you will actually kill you, and you can play as however big and bad a biblical motherfucker of a god as you want and have your physical avatar take on hundreds of fur-wearing spear-holding heathens at a time.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
which of the jagged alliances are the best or should be avoided?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

JA2 is the one you want. JA (and JA:DG) is a fun game, but the sequel improved on it so much that there really is no reason to go back to it unless you have way too much time on your hands. I've never played JA2:UB or JA2:WF, but rumour has it that they aren't very good.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Also, (almost) everyone recommends installing the 1.13 fan patch. Some of the changes may be overwhelming (enjoy 100s of similar AK-rifles to choose from!) but most of the settings can be tweaked and it's a significant improvement on the game in many areas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MrBims posted:

This is kind of the gold standard for fantasy grand strategy right now. You play as an empire based on historical cultures and mythologies but with all their magical elements completely real and taken to kind of Warhammer 40k-esque levels of absurdity, like Aztec animal warriors who turn into their totemic form when they bleed, or frost giants from Norse cosmology, or the cultural melting pot that was the Phoenician trade empire in the process of being corrupted by sacrificial religions. All the gods are real, all the demons are real, the roma fortune teller muttering at a curse at you will actually kill you, and you can play as however big and bad a biblical motherfucker of a god as you want and have your physical avatar take on hundreds of fur-wearing spear-holding heathens at a time.

That's all well and good, yeah, but... what's the catch?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Deakul posted:

The AI is poo poo, so to get at all good at the game requires playing months long play by email games with others.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Graphics look like something from fifteen-twenty years ago and the UI takes a lot of getting used to.

And the AI is poo poo as noted above.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's also basically impossible to balance a game with 90 wildly varying nations.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Looking for a game to play coop with my wife. She has only really played Sims1 and Sim2, Maple Story, and WoW. She likes the house building of the Sims and loved the multiplayer and questing of Warcraft. We haven't played WoW in almost 2 years and aren't really looking to get back into an MMO.

I thought she would like Terraria but it didn't grab her; it's a little too freeform for her.

PC only.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Dremcon posted:

Looking for a game to play coop with my wife. She has only really played Sims1 and Sim2, Maple Story, and WoW. She likes the house building of the Sims and loved the multiplayer and questing of Warcraft. We haven't played WoW in almost 2 years and aren't really looking to get back into an MMO.

I thought she would like Terraria but it didn't grab her; it's a little too freeform for her.

PC only.

My goto wife co-op game is Magicka, aka "Silly Wizards" at our house. Lighthearted party action game with basically no penalty for dying and lots of crazyness that happens when you combine spells.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Dremcon posted:

PC only.

Borderlands 2 maybe? It's pretty WoW-y.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dremcon posted:

PC only.

Trine 2 was great with my gf.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Voyeur posted:

Borderlands 2 maybe? It's pretty WoW-y.

That would probably be my first vote, with Diablo being the second... but it depends how much she likes shootiness.

She might like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for the puzzle solving aspects. The lego games might be fun too but they're local co-op only (which is dumb :mad: ) so you'd have to hook up two controllers to one of your computers.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
One more try searching for this game:

5thMouseButton posted:

I'm trying to recall this click adventure type game. I checked it out while still in development; you are a husband (and father?) & in the opening there is some kind of accident, maybe your wife dies. You're desperate to fix the past & use this travel-back-in-time mechanic to go about that.

I remember some preview pictures/video of the man inside a house where the view is from a staircase looking out into the living room (this could be off a bit).

I don't think the game is dev'd by any of the big names or it may have been a foreign developer.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm having doubts of continuing to play Eador: Masters Of The Broken World. I've played a small part of the tutorial which I liked but not especially so.

On the one hand, I really like games like HoMM or King's Bounty and don't mind some tactics and strategy.
On the other hand, most reviews I've read say the game is unfair, unbalanced and buggy. Generally a frustrating experience, only for the special kind of die hards who like russian games.

I enjoy the genre of TBS and E:MotB looks like a very varied, immense game. But I want something that is accessible, non frustrating and easy to drop in and out of. So, drop it or go ahead with it?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kalenden posted:

I'm having doubts of continuing to play Eador: Masters Of The Broken World. I've played a small part of the tutorial which I liked but not especially so.

On the one hand, I really like games like HoMM or King's Bounty and don't mind some tactics and strategy.
On the other hand, most reviews I've read say the game is unfair, unbalanced and buggy. Generally a frustrating experience, only for the special kind of die hards who like russian games.

I enjoy the genre of TBS and E:MotB looks like a very varied, immense game. But I want something that is accessible, non frustrating and easy to drop in and out of. So, drop it or go ahead with it?

It's fair enough; some shards start with bonuses to the defender, but the same bonus applies to you. Besides that I don't think the AI cheats, it's simply good enough to kick your rear end. The gameplay is actually really well designed; in most 4x games it would become a chore to maintain your territory but not here. The original game, Genesis, that MOTBW is a remake of, is less buggy and has a better interface, if you can deal with HOMM3-esque graphics and no combat animations. Read some tips for strategies and go for it.

ps: An easier game in the similar vein, though simplified combat, to try out is Disciples 2.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 17, 2014

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What are some quiz/trivia games with online multiplayer? Anything on browser/PC would be best.

You Don't Know Jack is king trivia and has a very good Facebook game last time I checked. Multiplayer is asynchronous in most of the recent versions, though- I think if you want synchronous online multiplayer you have to go to the 2011 console versions (360/PS3) or go with a lesser trivia game.

Request of my own: other games that feel like Fire Emblem?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Fire Emblem is kinda unique.

On DS, There's the Super Robot Wars series, but most of them are only available in Japanese. Project X Zone isn't bad, but it's basically a giant crossover game where the references are more important than gameplay.

On the PC side, there's Banner Saga but it's also a fairly unique entity. There's also XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Banner Saga is Oregon Trail with vikings but it has lovely, counterintuitive combat bolted on.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Advance Wars on GBA and DS is fairly similar to Fire Emblem in a lot of ways, if you have managed to miss the series. Advance Wars "Days of Ruin" was pretty fun, I would give that a spin and see if it scratches the itch. There aren't really any RPG elements or unique characters, but if you like tactically moving around on square maps (sometimes approaching the complexity of a puzzle game) then you might like this one.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Banner Saga is Oregon Trail with vikings but it has lovely, counterintuitive combat bolted on.

The best way to play Banner Saga that I found and recommended to others was switch the difficulty down to Easy and just enjoy the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012

Anatharon posted:

No one mentioned Warlock: Master of the Arcane which was fun times as a fantasy Civ-like. Warlock 2 is coming out soon this year as well...