Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Spaced God posted:

My friend's trying to convince me that terrorists hijacked 370 and are fitting it with a WMD.
I'll stick with hypoxia, thank you very much.
Hypoxia doesn't explain the complete loss of contact. Loss of transponder by accident implies a catastrophic inflight breakup or at least a catastrophic loss of all electrics (including emergency power and RAT). Continued flight for 4-5 hours all but rules out any such catastrophic failure.

Hence no transponder + flying for five more hours makes malice very likely.

e: The latest info is that MH370 was in the air until 7 hours after loss of contact, and based on which satellite it was trying to connect to, its last position was in the corridors marked in red.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, it's in Iran.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
edit: nvm

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
So this is the New Hampshire Learjet crash that was found years later by hikers, but on a scale several thousand times greater. Awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I didn't realize until just now that the "All right, good night" sign off happened after ACARS and the transponder were turned off. Creepy.

Now CNN (yeah yeah media outlet) is basically saying that American intelligence agencies are pointing towards the pilots as the suspects and apparently Malaysian officials have been camped out outside their houses just waiting for an excuse to go in.

Good lord this whole thing has gotten strange.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Someone who knows something about SATCOM please explain how this graphic makes any sort of sense, because I'm not seeing it.

fake edit: specifically how they know that it was within one of those two "corridors" as opposed to just somewhere within that satellite's (rather large) footprint.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My guess is that it has something to do with the timing of the signal. Too bad there weren't more satellites hearing it so they could triangulate it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

Someone who knows something about SATCOM please explain how this graphic makes any sort of sense, because I'm not seeing it.

fake edit: specifically how they know that it was within one of those two "corridors" as opposed to just somewhere within that satellite's (rather large) footprint.

I assume because two satellites picked up the signal. If you have two sats you can position something on the Earth in an arc/circle but you need at least 3 for gps type stuff.

If there was only one satellite then I have no idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the typical SOP for dealing with lost comms? Are there attempts to locate the plane on radar, scramble fighters to check it out, or what?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Also according to that info graphic the aircrafts last known altitude was 35,800 KILOMETERS. Wrap it up boys, Xenu got himself a new ride for the thetans, nothing to see here.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

VOR LOC posted:

Also according to that info graphic the aircrafts last known altitude was 35,800 KILOMETERS. Wrap it up boys, Xenu got himself a new ride for the thetans, nothing to see here.

That's the altitude and location of the receiving satellite, not the aircraft.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
It's 35,786 km. :colbert:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

That's the altitude and location of the receiving satellite, not the aircraft.

It's an understandable mistake considering the altitude of the satellite (which incidentally is the altitude of any geosynchronous sat) is possibly the least relevant piece of information imaginable.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Here's the NYT's graphic, may be a bit clearer for some purposes.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 16, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ A problem some people seem to be having is that they are under the impression the red line is the actual course of the airline after losing contact, and not the timing range when the satellite last picked it up.

Guy at work said his cousin is under the impression that it landed in China and crew and passengers are being held against their will while the Chinese are busy reverse-engineering it. I told him to tell his cousin that three different Chinese airlines are currently operating a total of 39 Boeing 777's and if they wanted to tear one apart all they had to do was tell one of the local companies to ground one. Also I'm thinking it is orders of magnitude easier and cheaper for China to buy 777's direct from Boeing than trying to make their own.

Still, trying to reason with crazies never works.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 16, 2014

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

None of this makes any sense unless it's a very bitter suicide/mass murder. Even that doesn't make much sense, but it has happened before, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

Why would a suicidal hijacker fly on for so long, though?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I want to talk blimps since I'm trying to court Goodyear for a job, half my family has worked for Goodyear, including my cousin who worked for the blimp crew at Suffield Township and Pompano.

SeaborneClink posted:

So uh.. Goodyear is making a new fleet of blimps zeppelins! :science:

Three thrust pods, 6 seats + 2 up front, a flying head and a top speed of 73 mph.

Old news, this was a deal in the works for the past two or three years (or longer). The announcement was so soon after Zeppelin announced they were making the NTs that I'm sure Goodyear's partnership in purchasing/building them is part of the reason why the NT exists.

What is "new" news is that the first airship has been delivered to Suffield, and I believe the next two airships which will replace Pompano and (Anaheim I think?) are suppose to be delivered later this year.

SeaborneClink posted:

Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik designed the new one(s) and Goodyear assembled them. But Goodyear made a bunch of blimps for the USN.

The Macon and the Akron. And all of the other blimps Goodyear made, and the inflatable rescue-plane they tried to sell to the Army/Air Force.

Madurai posted:

I assume you've all entered your name of choice for the new airship.

I'd want it to be the 'Spirit of Akron', but they already crashed that one.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

iyaayas01 posted:

They were able to derive the inclination of each ACARS 'ping' from the aircraft relative to the receiving satellite. The final ping was received with a ~40 degree inclination placing the aircraft somewhere along that arc. What those graphics *don't* show are the inclinations for any of the other ACARS transmissions during the flight, which would be located on other arcs. Depending on how many points and estimates of aircraft speed you could end up with a couple of rough potential flight paths. It's nothing like GPS though, so you'd still have 1000s of miles to search in.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Malaysia saying the jet was hijacked :tinfoil:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Forced to land in China so they could get their hands on those 20 Freescale employees and the data carried on their work devices.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Ok, this

rockopete posted:

Here's the NYT's graphic, may be a bit clearer for some purposes.

and this

Terrifying Effigies posted:

They were able to derive the inclination of each ACARS 'ping' from the aircraft relative to the receiving satellite. The final ping was received with a ~40 degree inclination placing the aircraft somewhere along that arc. What those graphics *don't* show are the inclinations for any of the other ACARS transmissions during the flight, which would be located on other arcs. Depending on how many points and estimates of aircraft speed you could end up with a couple of rough potential flight paths. It's nothing like GPS though, so you'd still have 1000s of miles to search in.

make a helluva lot more sense.

Also from that Reuters article:

quote:

Afghanistan's ministry of aviation said its controllers were certain the plane had not crossed their airspace.

lol at the idea of Afghanistan having any idea who is or isn't flying in their airspace.

\/ Good point \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 16, 2014

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

iyaayas01 posted:

Also from that Reuters article:

lol at the idea of Afghanistan having any idea who is or isn't flying in their airspace.

To be fair it's easy enough for them to say, since M370 would have had to fly through the Indian/Pakistani/Chinese border region to reach Afghanistan and there's *plenty* of itchy radar/SAM operators in that part of the world looking for unannounced visitors.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I don't post over here, but I do love this thread.
I took these at CEW (Crestview, FL), and thought I'd share.
Sorry for the less than spectacular phone photos.

ToyotaThong fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 16, 2014

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
The creepy thing about the Malaysia flight is that, if there was no commotion in the hijacking, the passengers probably didn't ever know they were lost until it reached its destination/crashed, what with it being a night flight and all

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So this is turning into some proper James Bond poo poo.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Has anyone tried googling it?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

So this is turning into some proper James Bond poo poo.

Almost. W.E.B. Griffin is closer through.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wonder what was in the cargo manifest for the missing 777? Could have just been straight up piracy. Half ton of ripe durian fruit could fetch a tidy sum on the black market...

I just couldn't stay away, could I. Couldn't resist posting.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 16, 2014

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The pilot was clearly replaced with an exact duplicate through plastic surgery and voice lessons, he landed the plane at sea so they could transfer the live atomic bombs it carried to the Disco Volante.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Linedance posted:

Wonder what was in the cargo manifest for the missing 777?

Lithium batteries.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

longview posted:

The pilot was clearly replaced with an exact duplicate through plastic surgery and voice lessons, he landed the plane at sea so they could transfer the live atomic bombs it carried to the Disco Volante.

Can't believe I didn't figure this out myself. Obvious really, you've saved the world.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I know something about SATCOM. If I can get the following clarified, I can chip in.

1) What Inmarsat system did the ACARS run on? C? BGAN?
2) Am I correct in understanding that the ACARS system never actually registered on the network, only attempted to regularly, and that's the only data we have?
3) Has the logs from Inmarsat been publicized or only turned over to the Malaysians?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bolind posted:

I know something about SATCOM. If I can get the following clarified, I can chip in.

2) Am I correct in understanding that the ACARS system never actually registered on the network, only attempted to regularly, and that's the only data we have?
3) Has the logs from Inmarsat been publicized or only turned over to the Malaysians?

1) not sure
2*) roughly, that's what I understand. Contact was attempted but no ACARS data transfer took place because of contractual reasons, or so the story goes
3) "talk to the Malaysians"

*Rolls Royce received engine data over satellite apparently, because they monitor their own engines. That doesn't include position data but does include altitude, which is where the 45000 feet thing came from I believe.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You know, all this time and that's one of the original questions I wanted to ask. I love all types of aircraft, but I'm probably least familiar with the large fleet airliners. Military stuff we know is cool, and I gained appreciation for private planes and corporate light aircraft from when I worked in the refurbish shop I did for a few years.

I had no idea that the 777 used Rolls Royce engines. I was under the impression that they had GE. Is that an option you can order? Is that something a fleet would change to their own preference? I just wiki'd it and I see that they use RR, GE, and P&W so I answered that question, but what about after sale modifications. Is that something an airline would do, and why or why not?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

You know, all this time and that's one of the original questions I wanted to ask. I love all types of aircraft, but I'm probably least familiar with the large fleet airliners. Military stuff we know is cool, and I gained appreciation for private planes and corporate light aircraft from when I worked in the refurbish shop I did for a few years.

I had no idea that the 777 used Rolls Royce engines. I was under the impression that they had GE. Is that an option you can order? Is that something a fleet would change to their own preference? I just wiki'd it and I see that they use RR, GE, and P&W so I answered that question, but what about after sale modifications. Is that something an airline would do, and why or why not?

Depends on the size of the airline, their maintenance capabilities, and the level of care they order from the engine manufacturer. They might do mods in-house, or subcontract them to a 3rd party MRO, or get the manufacturer to do them if that's the agreement they have. As for why you'd go with one type of engine over another, that boils down to cost, spares availability, familiarity, and many other factors (kickbacks being one of the less savoury ones).
I was speaking to a couple of RR engineers and they were saying about how back when it was a more common way of doing business, RR was trying to ink a deal with an Asian carrier (I don't remember which one he said, it may have actually been Malaysian) and the airline brass basically out and said they'd go with RR, but they wanted some Rolls Royce Phantoms. Explaining that RR cars and RR aero engines were two different companies fell on deaf ears, so they had to go to buy 3 Phantoms from a dealer and ship them over to make the deal go through.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Catching up on this whole mess after a trip and if they actually did go up to FL450 that's a pretty grim way of "pacifying" a plane full of people.

Edit : thinking about it, the time of consciousness isn't that different from regular cruise so who knows why you want to go that high. Maybe they really liked Pinnacle 3701

SCOTLAND fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 16, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

I had no idea that the 777 used Rolls Royce engines. I was under the impression that they had GE.

GE90, RR Trent 800 or P&W PW4000

bolind posted:

According to NYT Inmarsat has been on it for a couple of days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370.html

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 16, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder what it's like to fill out the options form of an airliner fleet. Yeah, go with the RRs definitely...heated seats, captain's side sun shade mirror...gently caress, can you believe the price of surround sound?! Think we'll being aftermarketing that one, yessir...

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bolind posted:

1) Judging by the orbital position (guessing 64E, IOR sat), it's on the older I3 network of satellites, rather than the newer BGAN/FBB/SB network on the I4 satellite.
2) Inmarsat C services don't require GPS like (most) BGAN/FBB/SB I4 services and not all Inmarsat C using equipment is equipped with a GPS or connected to one to send location during registration. If it wasn't part of the data being transmitted, then it probably isn't available. The goes double if all it was doing was trying to register but not sending any data.
3) Not published to my knowledge, and I work at a distribution partner level to Inmarsat (run our own APN's, etc on I4). The only notices I've seen from Inmarsat have been reassurances about them increasing capacity, as most of those search boats would have Fleetbroadband terminals for data comms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ola posted:

I wonder what it's like to fill out the options form of an airliner fleet. Yeah, go with the RRs definitely...heated seats, captain's side sun shade mirror...gently caress, can you believe the price of surround sound?! Think we'll being aftermarketing that one, yessir...

Don't forget the chrome accents!