Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Looks like I'll probably have to part ways with my 8-string bass. I've always had trouble with the neck, but now it's bowed beyond any sort of playability. I've taken it to two repair places and the hex slot for the truss rod is so worn that it can't be adjusted any further. The manufacterer doesn't make replacement necks for this and having a custom-made neck would cost more than a new bass.

I don't wanna just toss it in the dumpster, so I think I might put it up on craigslist for some budding luthier or instrument maker who could use the parts. I don't know what kind of priorities luthiers have, I wonder if I'll be able to get something like even $50 for it. It may be unplayable, but the wood, pickups, and hardware are still good.

Have you looked into replacing it with a non 8 string neck? You can try asking this guy what the heel width is, if its close enough it'd probably work - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Ltd-B-5...=item2336d423a8

I also see a 5 string neck listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

why oh WHY posted:

I had no idea the bassoon was such a temperamental instrument. I really only deal with bass, guitar and piano so I don't have too much fussing but that sounds horrendous.

Basson and Oboe afaik are like some of the hardest instruments

Q: what is the definition of a minor second?
A: two oboes playing in unison.

Yuk yuk yuk

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ericadia posted:

Basson and Oboe afaik are like some of the hardest instruments

Q: what is the definition of a minor second?
A: two oboes playing in unison.

Yuk yuk yuk

You're misquoting viola jokes there (I play the viola).

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Dunno if this thread or the amp thread is the best place to ask, but this is bass-related so I'll throw it in here.

I recently picked up an old Sunn 215BH cab on the cheap. It's got the orignal speakers, but they've been re-coned, and I think it's been modified to take a higher wattage (the original wattage, 160w, has been sharpie'd out and 800w has been written over the Sunn logo). I've been running a Hartke HA3500 into it (350w @ 4 ohms), and it sounds great either clean or with my Boss ODB-3 running, but if I hit my Big Muff Pi it loses all power. The bass sounds weaker and less loud than when clean (tone is fuzzy though) and I've tried monkeying with the settings on the Big Muff as well as running it through a different cab (my Ampeg 8x10) and I'm pretty sure the problem is the cab. Anyone know why this is?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Is it a really scooped sounding cab? If that's a guitar Big Muff, I'd expect you to lose some power anyway, which is why the bass version exists so you can blend the dry signal in and not lose the low end. (Looks like the Boss pedal does this too.) If it sounds good through the 8x10, maybe the 8x10 puts out more of the low frequencies the Big Muff lets through on bass.

If I were set on using that particular pedal with bass, I'd probably split the signal (y cable or ab/y box) and either recombine just before the Hartke or run the Big Muff into a different amp. I don't think you're ever going to get a full-sounding bass tone if you run it straight through the Big Muff.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've got a E-H bass big muff, and it doesn't lose any low end if you set it up carefully.

Edit: has the original speaker had its paper cone replaced, or has the entire speaker been replaced? If it's still the original speaker cage and magnets and such, then there isn't any way that I know of that it could handle more power than before - it would still be able to handle only the stock wattage.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Gorgar posted:

Is it a really scooped sounding cab? If that's a guitar Big Muff, I'd expect you to lose some power anyway, which is why the bass version exists so you can blend the dry signal in and not lose the low end. (Looks like the Boss pedal does this too.) If it sounds good through the 8x10, maybe the 8x10 puts out more of the low frequencies the Big Muff lets through on bass.

If I were set on using that particular pedal with bass, I'd probably split the signal (y cable or ab/y box) and either recombine just before the Hartke or run the Big Muff into a different amp. I don't think you're ever going to get a full-sounding bass tone if you run it straight through the Big Muff.
Whoa, I didn't even know a bass big muff existed! That's probably part of the issue right there.

I wouldn't call the cab especially scooped, it's pretty low-mid heavy though. The 8x10 handles the big muff with aplomb, lots of punch and girth to the tone. Couldn't even tell it was a guitar pedal. It's a little weird to me that a 8x10 could do that but a 2x15 couldn't.

I've got an ab/y box...how would I go about recombining my signal? The only way I can think of doing that is with another ab/y box at the end going into the Hartke, and I'm not sure that's how they work.

I plan on using the 8x10 for gigs and keeping the 2x15 in the rehearsal space, so this isn't a major issue, but still something I'm curious about.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I've got a E-H bass big muff, and it doesn't lose any low end if you set it up carefully.

Edit: has the original speaker had its paper cone replaced, or has the entire speaker been replaced? If it's still the original speaker cage and magnets and such, then there isn't any way that I know of that it could handle more power than before - it would still be able to handle only the stock wattage.

I believe it's had its paper cone replaced, I believe the rest of the speaker is original. I might open up the back and get a better look. I also have a friend who's interested in my speakers and wants to swap them for the one in his cabinet, so I might end up doing that and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

As I understand it, 8x10s are likely to be better at punchy than 2x15s. It may depend on how it's voiced. My guess is there's porting going on that artificially boosts a low mid/upper end of bass portion of the signal, and the 2x15 doesn't boost that range. But it could also be badly reconed or broken or etc. My 2x15 is my favorite cab, but I like my bass rumbly, not punchy.

Recombining: just run the Y cable or AB/Y box backwards. Where it says IN, connect to amp. Connect A to A on your AB/Y. Connect B to the out of your Big Muff, and the input of that to B on the AB/Y. Set both AB/Y to Y or "both" or "A+B" or whatever.

While you're at it, put a chorus in after the Big Muff, maybe a phaser, etc. I sometimes will run a volume pedal after all that stuff, just before recombining, so that your effects always get a decent signal to work on, but you can bring in a little (or a lot) of chorus, fuzz, whatever, when you want a different sound for a riff or etc.

Rereading your post, I'm suspicious of the speaker reconing and modification job. A 2x15 isn't going to sound as focused as an 8x10, in my experience, but it should never sound anemic.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Session musicians, un-anchored bassists: How much (in the grand scheme of things) do you rely on a) chord charts or b) bass clef sheet music, or c) treble clef sheet music ?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

Session musicians, un-anchored bassists: How much (in the grand scheme of things) do you rely on a) chord charts or b) bass clef sheet music, or c) treble clef sheet music ?

Not really a "session" musician, but occasionally I'll get asked by musician friends to record/write a bassline or groove for them. Chord charts are definitely the most prominent for me. But even then, it's not 100% of the time. If they're just looking for a vamping groove or minimal changes, then they can just tell me the key and number of measures until the change (if any). Treble and bass clef only ever come into play if they've already written the line and want me to play it note for note.

In my regular band, we just work off of chord charts when someone is introducing a new song to the rest of us.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Southern Heel posted:

99% of the time I worked from chord charts. You'd be handed a key and a "feel" indication at the front, then just follow the chart. The only time this was deviated from was if the piece had a defined head or breakdown section that required a defined notational sequencing. Other than that, do what you do, just paint within the lines.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I've got plans for my '04 B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock. I'm thinking two Nordstrand NP4 pickups with one of the 2B-4 preamps (not sure about the knob setup yet). I've run the idea by Deuce Slice so far and I think I'm pretty sure that this is the pickup config I want. I like my basses to have a lot of bright, bang, and punch.

The other part of my plan is to change the strings to BEAD using a set of 5-string lights. Maybe some of those DR Neons. IDK if I'm really asking anything with this post, more like a statement of intent. Feel free to intervene on me bass thread.

OH WAIT! I know! This thing needs a new bridge! Recommend me a bridge for this thing (old bridge below):

The 4 screw config on this thing looks uncommon among bass bridges, the hipshot bridge looks like it is wider, and I don't know how comfy I'd be drilling new holes in this thing. Maybe I should just live with the current bridge for now? It's only bent up a mm or so

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish beginner's amp that would be suitable for a tiny apartment? I may or may not also end up plugging a regular guitar into it to mess around, if that makes a big difference. I'm obviously not expecting amazing tones or anything, but I'd like to know if there a particular model of amp that's just a really good deal, or ones to stay away from, etc.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Ericadia posted:

I've got plans for my '04 B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock. I'm thinking two Nordstrand NP4 pickups with one of the 2B-4 preamps (not sure about the knob setup yet). I've run the idea by Deuce Slice so far and I think I'm pretty sure that this is the pickup config I want. I like my basses to have a lot of bright, bang, and punch.

The other part of my plan is to change the strings to BEAD using a set of 5-string lights. Maybe some of those DR Neons. IDK if I'm really asking anything with this post, more like a statement of intent. Feel free to intervene on me bass thread.

OH WAIT! I know! This thing needs a new bridge! Recommend me a bridge for this thing (old bridge below):

The 4 screw config on this thing looks uncommon among bass bridges, the hipshot bridge looks like it is wider, and I don't know how comfy I'd be drilling new holes in this thing. Maybe I should just live with the current bridge for now? It's only bent up a mm or so

Leo Quan Badass
Schaller 3D

Either are good hi-mass replacements with huge tone and sustain qualities

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Ericadia posted:

Maybe I should just live with the current bridge for now? It's only bent up a mm or so
It's rolled not cast, bend it back. Nothing will fit properly or be better anyhow.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I bought an Ibanez SR300 today, but I realized that I have no idea what kind of bass strings are good. I usually use DR strings on my guitars, and the bass came strung with D'Addarios, which play nicely, but have a little bit too much brightness for me. Basically just looking for suggestions since I've never owned a decent quality bass before.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

BUSH 2112 posted:

I bought an Ibanez SR300 today, but I realized that I have no idea what kind of bass strings are good. I usually use DR strings on my guitars, and the bass came strung with D'Addarios, which play nicely, but have a little bit too much brightness for me. Basically just looking for suggestions since I've never owned a decent quality bass before.

La Bella tape wound are my strings of choice. They have a really great low tone and they feel great to play on. By far my favorite, just a little expensive though.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

why oh WHY posted:

La Bella tape wound are my strings of choice. They have a really great low tone and they feel great to play on. By far my favorite, just a little expensive though.

But they last FOREVER. I've got them on right now, and they are great. They give a strong fundamental, so I roll my tone knob up to compensate for the darker tone and it fills in so well...

Good tone, good feel, long life. Perfect string.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Agreed, though I'm a much bigger fan of the La Bella DT Flats. I have some La Bella tapes on my fretless for a great mock-upright tone. And speaking of uprights... I've officially let my Lakland Hollowbody go to Seventh Arrow, and will be acquiring an upright in the next few months (hopefully).

Sad to see it go... But glad it's going to another bass goon.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

SOON IT WILL BE MINE

So how does karma work? If I help lots of old ladies across the street this weekend, will my Lakland goodness arrive Monday?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
My fingertips are sore as hell, because I played bass for like 5 hours yesterday :allears: Got my bass hymen popped.

The funny thing is that I play guitar about two hours a day, I really didn't think there was any further callous that I could develop, but I was terribly wrong.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 16, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish beginner's amp that would be suitable for a tiny apartment? I may or may not also end up plugging a regular guitar into it to mess around, if that makes a big difference. I'm obviously not expecting amazing tones or anything, but I'd like to know if there a particular model of amp that's just a really good deal, or ones to stay away from, etc.

Since nobody's chipped in, I have the Bass RX Microcube from the OP and it's pretty entertaining, and it does actually get fairly loud. I mean you won't be playing with a drummer or anything but it has pretty decent projection indoors. The older version is cheaper (and smaller I think) but I haven't tried that.

I've run a guitar into it a few times and it's all right, nothing very interesting. The one thing that's missing for me is overdrive - you can crank the gain and get a farty hosed up sound if you hit it hard enough, which is fine for playing along to music and having a laugh, but it doesn't sound very good. Sounds worse with a guitar. Running a pedal into it is an option, or if you're in a small place and not planning to run it very loud, and you want to switch up with both instruments, it might be worth looking at a small guitar amp and using that for bass too. So long as you don't drive it too hard it should be fine, maybe.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Most of the time you can run a bass through a guitar amp as long as you aren't pumping it too hard. It won't project low end nearly as well and you just won't sound as good or as even in level. The Microcube that baka kaba and the OP mention is pretty good for a practice amp but yeah don't expect to be able to compete with a full band or even really a noisy guitarist.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So I've been putting in the hours as a bassist for some time now, and I'm considering stepping up to my first 5-string. My current axes are my Mexican Fender J (just put a purdy black pickguard on it) that has some noise issues (thanks to no shielding AND not having been wired in parallel) and a wonderful Korean made Silvertone (I don't even take it out unless I break something).

So, with my low-end bass (Silvertone) and my somewhat middling bass (the Fender, even though it was an old freebie) I'd kinda like this one to be another step up. Yeah there's the risk of me getting a 5-string, maybe something in 35" scale and going "oh no, I'm so unused to this, wahh," but I plan to really own up to whatever I get. I just want to make sure this isn't going to be some love it and leave it POS. I want this bass to take place of my main and put the Fender on the sidelines.

So, of a few that I'd been looking at, there's been the MTD Kingston Heir (quality construction, but lackluster electronics? still made in China?) a used Ibanez Prestige SR5005, and a used German Warwick Corvette 5. All of these are $1,000+ MSRP guitars that I've found a little below the $1,000 line. I know I'd like 5 strings so I can handle my band's half-step tunings, open D tunings and covers of other songs w/ 5 strings. 35" inch scale is not something I'm physically familiar with, but it would make sense that a longer scale would provide a little more tension for my low B's. Active electronics aren't totally necessary, but then I've never used them before. I run the Fender into my Tech 21 VT Bass, then run that passive (-0db) into my SWR 350 with barely any gain and minimal EQ, so that's pretty much my acting preamp.

If anyone's got some good suggestions, these next couple weeks I won't have any shows so I'd like to get on that and get to practicing ASAP.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 16, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maybe try out some Squiers, they're good quality for the price I hear. Wouldn't mind the vintage modified jazz bass V myself!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Boring advice but I'd honestly get you to a music store and try their range, get a feel for stuff - especially if you're possibly considering an active bass. I was trying a few 5s and I really enjoyed whatever Ibanez BTB I played with (not a recommendation, I don't know what I'm talking about), the active electronics really gave it a whole other feel, like it was playing itself. I also picked up a 6-string by accident, which felt like a plank.

Playing with the wares for a bit will probably give a better idea of what you're looking for and what feels good

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Get an ibanez premium (badass Nordstrand pickups) or an ibanez prestige (darker sounding bartolini pups).

Really the only 5 strings I've tried and strongly disliked were the Peavey Grind and the deluxe fender P.

Have you considered getting a 6-string bass?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Argh, I wasn't paying attention when taking off my G&L L2000 and managed to smack it against the overhang I was standing near. Broke off a section of the nut right at the E string :argh:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

JayKay posted:

Argh, I wasn't paying attention when taking off my G&L L2000 and managed to smack it against the overhang I was standing near. Broke off a section of the nut right at the E string :argh:

drat, that sucks. You can get nut replacements pretty cheaply if you're willing to file it down yourself.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Do dee do dee do *DING DONG* Well, who could that be?

Wait, is that UPS? Could they have a package for ME? :buddy:

Oh look! A box from faraway shores has arrived!

As Plato once said, HAHAHA BOXCUTTER TIME OF DAY BEST TIME OF DAY

Hey, maybe this is that sweet Lakland hollowbody Skyline that Scarf sent me!

Hey, it IS from Scarf! Lemme rip this bad boy open!

Out of the way, packing peanuts! Hey...wait...

A classical guitar?!? YOU RIPPED ME OFF, SCARF! I WILL HUNT YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH! :argh:

Ahaha, just kidding! It so happens to be a sweeeeeeet Lakland hollowbody with fine aged flatwounds

Lo, it is varnished with the joyous tears of pixies and strung with the hair of angels:

Nice bass, who's the fatso?

Many thanks to Scarf for getting it here so soon! Even though it done broke your heart :tipshat:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Congrats! Scarf is about to shout "SOLARIS?! I HATE SOLARIS!!" and punch a wall

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Do dee do dee do *DING DONG* Well, who could that be?

Wait, is that UPS? Could they have a package for ME? :buddy:

Oh look! A box from faraway shores has arrived!

As Plato once said, HAHAHA BOXCUTTER TIME OF DAY BEST TIME OF DAY

Hey, maybe this is that sweet Lakland hollowbody Skyline that Scarf sent me!

Hey, it IS from Scarf! Lemme rip this bad boy open!

Out of the way, packing peanuts! Hey...wait...

A classical guitar?!? YOU RIPPED ME OFF, SCARF! I WILL HUNT YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH! :argh:

Ahaha, just kidding! It so happens to be a sweeeeeeet Lakland hollowbody with fine aged flatwounds

Lo, it is varnished with the joyous tears of pixies and strung with the hair of angels:

Nice bass, who's the fatso?

Many thanks to Scarf for getting it here so soon! Even though it done broke your heart :tipshat:

Glad to see it got there unharmed! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm sure I'll try to buy it back from you in about 3-4 years :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Scarf posted:

I'm sure I'll try to buy it back from you in about 3-4 years :)

You'll have to get past the...BOXCUTTER

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Speaking of cutting, nice to see a big gash right there in the box... Oh UPS :allears:

That's why you go overboard on peanuts and ship in a hardcase.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Update on my big muff/2x15 situation:

So I tried to turn on my big muff the other day and found that the battery seemed to be dead. I bought a new 9v and switched them out at band practice tonight and lo and behold, the big muff started sounding like it ought to through the 2x15! Kind of sounded like it was straining the speakers, though...but I soldiered on through the set and during the transition between the last two songs, where I hit the big muff and make a ton of feedback, my entire signal completely died. Tried going straight into the amp, different cables, different cabinet, different instrument, it's definitely the cab. Thinking I blew out the speakers. I'm not super upset cause I was going to swap them out anyway but kind of a bummer. I guess I got what I deserved trying to run 350W into it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Blown out speakers does not amount to a complete loss of signal, just a distortion of sound (imagine the sound of your bass flabbing through a broken cone). If you cab isn't putting out sound, you've blown out a part of the circuitry in the crossover. Heck, maybe you just melted the fuse in your cabinet, if it has one (mine's right next to the input).

Ghost edit: there is the possibility that if a speaker isn't putting out sound, the cone's adhesive may have aged to the point where it couldn't take the movement and has come loose. So, I suppose if you were going to replace the speakers, it's worth a shot. But, I'd still check your wiring in the back.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Blown out speakers does not amount to a complete loss of signal, just a distortion of sound (imagine the sound of your bass flabbing through a broken cone). If you cab isn't putting out sound, you've blown out a part of the circuitry in the crossover. Heck, maybe you just melted the fuse in your cabinet, if it has one (mine's right next to the input).

Ghost edit: there is the possibility that if a speaker isn't putting out sound, the cone's adhesive may have aged to the point where it couldn't take the movement and has come loose. So, I suppose if you were going to replace the speakers, it's worth a shot. But, I'd still check your wiring in the back.

If you pump too much signal and you get a square wave, sometimes a square wave can shoot a signal nearly 10 times the rated amp. Thats why when the amp is clipping ALOT its smart to kind of stop doing that. And when it does peak at nearly ten times its rating the voice coil can get fried very easily.

Did you smell burning wire when the cab died? If not, try plugging it in later, some cabs actually have a "kill switch" inside the circuitry to turn off the signal if you overload it. Found this out the hardway (or easy way?) with my 215.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

That's a lovely looking bass Seventh Arrow, Scarf is going to totally regret that one in a short while.

Are those LaBella flats on it?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

There are other kinds of flats? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

That's a lovely looking bass Seventh Arrow, Scarf is going to totally regret that one in a short while.

Are those LaBella flats on it?

Hahaha probably. But I bought it with the intention of getting a more open, upright sound... but eventually I realized I should just get an upright. So the sale of the HB put me just about halfway there.

But if I regret it too much, I'll just contact lakland about another one :)