Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Please list the actual numbers of your two plan offerings. Deductible, OPM, coinsurance % (preferred only), premiums and employer HSA contributions. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think you understand. I ran the numbers for the health plans offered to me, and already factoring in premiums, if I'm billed less than $1000/year then the HDHP is cheaper for me. I.e., I goto a doctor right now and walk out with a bill for $2000 for whatever reason. The HDHP is already costing me more than a regular plan with a lower deductible. Again that's the amount billed, not the amount I'll pay (if I had a $300 deductible plan for example I know I'll pay much less annually, even with the higher premiums).

I'll have to go home and run the numbers through my other spreadsheet to see how the HSA and free HSA contributions factor into.

Another thing I just realized, if I had the HDHP then all my bills are pre-tax dollars right? I.e., that $300 deductible health plan would cost me $300 of post-tax money whereas that $3000 deductible HDHP costs me $3000 pre-tax money.

Yeah I think Sigma has a good point. If you're crunching numbers right next to each other like that, you're going to want to share them with us, because that is what an agent would have to do to give you good advice.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
What kind of dental insurance should I be shopping for on the (Texas) healthcare marketplace if I know that I'll probably need crowns/root canal-level work done this year?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

an skeleton posted:

What kind of dental insurance should I be shopping for on the (Texas) healthcare marketplace if I know that I'll probably need crowns/root canal-level work done this year?

The one that fits your budget. Most dental insurance caps out at 50% coverage for major dental work, so anything that goes significantly above that will likely have a significant price tag attached to it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I ran the numbers for my health plan for you to look at, HDHP vs PPO. If you give me your numbers, I'll run them too. None of these include the tax avoidance of using the HSA for your medical expenses. Premium is quoted on an annual basis, which I would hope is obvious from the numbers.

Including the employer HSA contribution:

Without the HSA contribution:

Being I am high-risk (or was, as this no longer exists yay!) due to spine issues, I was paying $4,512 for a $500/1500 (deductible/OPM) plan before, and I had about ~$4-600 in medical expenses the last two years (and around ~$60k the prior two years!). So for me, anything under $5k/yr was a deal, and the HDHP makes my MAX possible expenses ~$4,357.

Each situation is different, but if you're reasonably healthy, I'd go HDHP.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Your premiums for an employer-sponsored plan sound ridiculously high. Are you really paying $356/month, or does your employer defer some of that cost?

Something on the exchange might very well be cheaper than that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EugeneJ posted:

Your premiums for an employer-sponsored plan sound ridiculously high. Are you really paying $356/month, or does your employer defer some of that cost?

Something on the exchange might very well be cheaper than that.
Its was late, I'll give you a pass. But why would you ever discuss annualized costs, which deductible and OPM are, and discuss monthly premium? How could you compare ANNUAL out of pocket costs without annual premium? "Premium is quoted on an annual basis"... $29.66/mo seems pretty good.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 14, 2014

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

an skeleton posted:

Does the Texas marketplace have dental options? That's my question. I wasn't aware of state exchanges selling anything except the mandated pediatric dental.

That said:

If you are expecting costs *this year* your best bets would be a DHMO or discount plan. Most DPPOs have a waiting period of 6-12 months for major work. Also, keep in mind that many dental PPO plans have rather low annual caps ($1000 - $1500 annually) so their utility is limited, especially if you factor in the higher premiums.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Talked to my state farm lady about adding homeowners to my policy. It's a 3 bedroom ~2100sqft with a pool in Mississippi. Do these prices look right and is this a sufficient amount of coverage? My boss has been hyping up his umbrella policy... is adding umbrella a good idea?

replacement cost $216,000
insured 100% - annual premium $1,331
w/ swimming pool
personal liability to 500,000
5,000 /person medical payments
162,000 personal property coverage

umbrella:
+200/yr 1 million coverage on top of homeowners and auto insurance

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
If you have nice or expensive things (like a house) getting an umbrella policy is a good idea.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds about right for the stuff you have. I may be able to get that premium on the house a smidge lower :haw: but otherwise the numbers look right for someone like you. As LongDarkNight said, having an umbrella is a good idea and is often the best dollar to insurance ratio you'll find.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Boris Galerkin - Want me to run your HDHP numbers? Post em up sir!

PuTTY riot posted:

Talked to my state farm lady about adding homeowners to my policy. It's a 3 bedroom ~2100sqft with a pool in Mississippi. Do these prices look right and is this a sufficient amount of coverage? My boss has been hyping up his umbrella policy... is adding umbrella a good idea?

replacement cost $216,000
insured 100% - annual premium $1,331
w/ swimming pool
personal liability to 500,000
5,000 /person medical payments
162,000 personal property coverage

umbrella:
+200/yr 1 million coverage on top of homeowners and auto insurance
Does it drop your auto rates too? Because it usually does. If it doesn't, you may want to shop around. Or talk to Mr. Jastiger, maybe I'm wrong for State Farm? I know it does with Safeco and Allstate.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
It does drop my auto rate. They didn't tell me how much but I'm also swapping out full and liability only on the 2 old cars so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the advice.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Ok insurance thread, looking for some opinions and perspective here.

Wife and I had our first child a little bit ago and now we are looking at term life insurance, basically just enough to pay off the mortgage/student loans with a small bit extra. We got quotes for her very easily at what seems to be very low rates, so that is all good. The bad news is that it turns out I am essentially un-insurable due to some long term health problems, so I have been declined from all companies approached. One agent however, came up with an alternative that I am trying to evaluate and get opinions on. He gave me a quote for Accidental Death Insurance through Mutual of Omaha.

It is obviously inferior to term life. Off the bat, its moderately expensive and it seems that the only premium guarantee I can get is 5 years. Obviously it covers far less than term life. My gut feeling is that it is not really worth it given the more limited range of covered events, but I thought I would ask around for opinions.

So, opinions on Accidental Death Insurance, given the fact that I cannot buy term life at all?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

emocrat posted:

Ok insurance thread, looking for some opinions and perspective here.

Wife and I had our first child a little bit ago and now we are looking at term life insurance, basically just enough to pay off the mortgage/student loans with a small bit extra. We got quotes for her very easily at what seems to be very low rates, so that is all good. The bad news is that it turns out I am essentially un-insurable due to some long term health problems, so I have been declined from all companies approached. One agent however, came up with an alternative that I am trying to evaluate and get opinions on. He gave me a quote for Accidental Death Insurance through Mutual of Omaha.

It is obviously inferior to term life. Off the bat, its moderately expensive and it seems that the only premium guarantee I can get is 5 years. Obviously it covers far less than term life. My gut feeling is that it is not really worth it given the more limited range of covered events, but I thought I would ask around for opinions.

So, opinions on Accidental Death Insurance, given the fact that I cannot buy term life at all?

Sometimes you find yourself in an undesirable situation like this, and for that I'm sorry :(

As far as the accidental, how high a premium are we talking here? Look at how much the premium is per 5 year chunk and compare that to what it pays out, and what a moderately investment portfolio might do for you. The main reason you get term is to lock in a low price with a relatively high pay out with little to no risk. Accidental Death with only 5 year lock-ins doesn't sound exactly low risk to me, the rate can do anything after that first 5 year chunk and actually set you back if you had invested that money or socked it away somewhere.

How much insurance will the policy he recommended pay out? How much premium is required? How affordable is the premium he's pitching you? Have you exhausted all options on your wifes policy to cover a spouse? Have you maxed out your life insurance options at work?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Jastiger posted:

Sometimes you find yourself in an undesirable situation like this, and for that I'm sorry :(

As far as the accidental, how high a premium are we talking here? Look at how much the premium is per 5 year chunk and compare that to what it pays out, and what a moderately investment portfolio might do for you. The main reason you get term is to lock in a low price with a relatively high pay out with little to no risk. Accidental Death with only 5 year lock-ins doesn't sound exactly low risk to me, the rate can do anything after that first 5 year chunk and actually set you back if you had invested that money or socked it away somewhere.

How much insurance will the policy he recommended pay out? How much premium is required? How affordable is the premium he's pitching you? Have you exhausted all options on your wifes policy to cover a spouse? Have you maxed out your life insurance options at work?

Well, in the abstract the premium is not too high, just relative to the premiums I am seeing for comparable term life. Looks around $550/year for a $350,000 payout. Far, far better than anything could realistically expect on investment over a 5 year period. In terms of affordability to me, its easy. My hesitation is more to do with the question of what I am really buying for that money, how much more limited is this than normal term life?

I was unaware that I would potentially be included on my wifes policy, how does that work? hers is not in place yet, it is being set up now.

I do have life insurance through work, but it is capped at a 50k payout, better than nothing, but not sufficient for what I am trying to cover.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Are you sure you can't get additional life via work?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

SiGmA_X posted:

Are you sure you can't get additional life via work?

Unfortunately yes. They cover an amount equivalent to my salary, capped at 150k.
Its free, which is great, but I don't think they are gonna triple my salary any time soon.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

emocrat posted:

Well, in the abstract the premium is not too high, just relative to the premiums I am seeing for comparable term life. Looks around $550/year for a $350,000 payout. Far, far better than anything could realistically expect on investment over a 5 year period. In terms of affordability to me, its easy. My hesitation is more to do with the question of what I am really buying for that money, how much more limited is this than normal term life?

I was unaware that I would potentially be included on my wifes policy, how does that work? hers is not in place yet, it is being set up now.

I do have life insurance through work, but it is capped at a 50k payout, better than nothing, but not sufficient for what I am trying to cover.

You can't be included on her policy, but some companies may have an extended benefit for spouses. SOmething small and usually insignificant in your case:)

That isn't so bad though, I'd probably look into even picking that up since life insurance is pretty important for you guys right now. It sounds like itsreally your best and only option.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SiGmA_X posted:

Boris Galerkin - Want me to run your HDHP numbers? Post em up sir!
Does it drop your auto rates too? Because it usually does. If it doesn't, you may want to shop around. Or talk to Mr. Jastiger, maybe I'm wrong for State Farm? I know it does with Safeco and Allstate.

My spreadsheet does what yours does more or less so it's not needed. I guess I was just wondering about the specifics of a HSA/HDHP that I've since answered. Thanks for the offer though!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I got rear ended and the other drivers insurance company (Esurance) is trying to dick me over. This is in Los Angeles CA.

I got rear ended at a stop light. Damage is minor but the insurance estimate is ~$500. The woman who hit me says she was also rear ended which is why she hit me. I saw no other car and heard/felt no other impacts. I told her on the road to flag down the person who hit her but she didn't because there was no one. The problem is that I didn't take pictures of the rear of her car. I know I should have and I'm beating myself up for it. It was drizzling and I was dressed to go out and it just slipped my mind. I do recall inspecting the rear of her vehicle and saw no damage.

Anyway I call Esurance 2 weeks into the claim and they say they are having a hard time contacting their insured and asked me for any info I had on her so I forwarded a photo I took of her DL and insurance card. The next day I get a call from another agent telling me they inspected her car and found rear damage but are still waiting for her formal statement and I should drop the claim because the person responsible would be the person who hit her. The fact that they claim they inspected her car yet still don't have her statement is a big tell that they are lying.

Right now I've got my own insurance company looking into it.

Just curious when there are multiple vehicles involved in a collision like this what recourse do I have when the driver behind me is claiming a phantom car hit them? Surely there's CCTV footage from the nearby gas station and bank I could get but its not worth the $500 claim. Sigh.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

So I got rear ended and the other drivers insurance company (Esurance) is trying to dick me over. This is in Los Angeles CA.

I got rear ended at a stop light. Damage is minor but the insurance estimate is ~$500. The woman who hit me says she was also rear ended which is why she hit me. I saw no other car and heard/felt no other impacts. I told her on the road to flag down the person who hit her but she didn't because there was no one. The problem is that I didn't take pictures of the rear of her car. I know I should have and I'm beating myself up for it. It was drizzling and I was dressed to go out and it just slipped my mind. I do recall inspecting the rear of her vehicle and saw no damage.

Anyway I call Esurance 2 weeks into the claim and they say they are having a hard time contacting their insured and asked me for any info I had on her so I forwarded a photo I took of her DL and insurance card. The next day I get a call from another agent telling me they inspected her car and found rear damage but are still waiting for her formal statement and I should drop the claim because the person responsible would be the person who hit her. The fact that they claim they inspected her car yet still don't have her statement is a big tell that they are lying.

Right now I've got my own insurance company looking into it.

Just curious when there are multiple vehicles involved in a collision like this what recourse do I have when the driver behind me is claiming a phantom car hit them? Surely there's CCTV footage from the nearby gas station and bank I could get but its not worth the $500 claim. Sigh.

It really shouldn't matter. If she admitted to hitting you then she is at fault unless she can prove another vehicle hit her. If she's just claiming it and saying nothing else is there to be proven, then its up to her and her insurance company to prove that she was hit.

I'd contact YOUR insurance company and have them go after Esurance.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I agree with Jastiger. Have your insurance go after her insurance. However, your insurance will need to pay for your damages in order to pursue Esurance and they might make you pay your deductible. If your insurance company is good with customer service, they really should waive your deductible, though.

Also I doubt Esurance is lying to you. The person that inspects the vehicle is usually not the person in the office who handles the investigation and obtains statements. That person would contact an appraiser to inspect the vehicle without ever dealing with the owner. The appraiser would be the one to deal with the owner for that. So its likely the appraiser was able to reach the owner to schedule an inspection but the adjuster in the office has not yet been able to reach her.

Regarding any surveillance footage, most companies will not willingly give that to an insurance company without a court subpoena. I've never had a company hand that over to me out of the kindness of their heart.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
My car got damaged in a hailstorm, and I made an appointment for an adjustor to come see it. The first time he came out, I wasn't home but my car was there, and he left a note saying he wanted to see the interior because it will be a total loss.

The question I have is basically should I let them total the car? The damage (in my inexpert opinion) is purely cosmetic, and since my car is pretty old (2006) I'm not sure how much they'd even total it for. It's well-maintained and reliable, and my concern is that I wouldn't be able to find another car like that. On the other hand it is ugly and a gas-guzzler.

My second question is regarding what I told the claims person. There was some flash flooding after the storm, and I drove my car through some pretty high water (stupid, I know). Not high enough to come in the car, but it came up almost to the doors. Should I be concerned that this is something they'd hold against me in the future if I kept my car and needed to make another claim?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Tojai posted:

My car got damaged in a hailstorm, and I made an appointment for an adjustor to come see it. The first time he came out, I wasn't home but my car was there, and he left a note saying he wanted to see the interior because it will be a total loss.

The question I have is basically should I let them total the car? The damage (in my inexpert opinion) is purely cosmetic, and since my car is pretty old (2006) I'm not sure how much they'd even total it for. It's well-maintained and reliable, and my concern is that I wouldn't be able to find another car like that. On the other hand it is ugly and a gas-guzzler.

Just because they declare the car a total loss doesn't mean they automatically take it from you. They should give you a "buy back" offer, basically deducting a salvage value from the vehicles overall value. You get a lower payment and keep your car. You can keep driving it with the hail dents or look in to paintless dent repair. Most of them may even pop out once the weather warms up.

quote:

My second question is regarding what I told the claims person. There was some flash flooding after the storm, and I drove my car through some pretty high water (stupid, I know). Not high enough to come in the car, but it came up almost to the doors. Should I be concerned that this is something they'd hold against me in the future if I kept my car and needed to make another claim?
If there is damage from flooding you would need to file a seperate claim. They might treat the hail damage as "prior" to the flood loss and make a deduction from the second settlement. It's already a total at that point so it might not amount to much.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

LongDarkNight posted:

Just because they declare the car a total loss doesn't mean they automatically take it from you. They should give you a "buy back" offer, basically deducting a salvage value from the vehicles overall value. You get a lower payment and keep your car. You can keep driving it with the hail dents or look in to paintless dent repair. Most of them may even pop out once the weather warms up.

If there is damage from flooding you would need to file a seperate claim. They might treat the hail damage as "prior" to the flood loss and make a deduction from the second settlement. It's already a total at that point so it might not amount to much.

If I buy back the car, my understanding was that I have to get a salvage title and they won't insure it for anything but liability? If it varies by state, I'm in Texas.

I'm not necessarily opposed to driving around with hail dents, but I don't want to take on extra risk either. I'd rather deal with getting a new car now than have a loss that I can't be compensated for.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Tojai posted:

If I buy back the car, my understanding was that I have to get a salvage title and they won't insure it for anything but liability? If it varies by state, I'm in Texas.

I'm not necessarily opposed to driving around with hail dents, but I don't want to take on extra risk either. I'd rather deal with getting a new car now than have a loss that I can't be compensated for.
You can get full coverage in Oregon, but it varies by carrier. Ask your carrier. Esurance doesn't insure totaled cars - but they totaled my old car out, sold it back to me, and reinsured it... Scary to find out I didn't actually have coverage that I was paying for... I'm not sure how it would have held up in court.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tojai posted:

Its important to note that an insurance company is going to go off of something like KBB or NADA to value your car. A "nice" 2006 car that you spent $8K on or so is worth like $5k now, and massive hail damage to the hood, roof, and doors would absolutely go beyond the $5k if its as massive as you say.

If they want to total out the car and force you into a salvage title I would recommend against that. Most quality insurance companies will not insure a salvage title beyond liability only, and some require that at least one vehicle insured is NOT a salvage title to offset the risk. Either way you're looking at liability only with a salvage title with most companies.

If you don't owe anything else on the 2006, I see no reason to just take a total loss payout and get a newer and safer vehicle, especially with the possible flood claim. If I were a claims adjuster I'd definitely take that into consideration when considering how I'm going to handle your entire claim. Their job is to make sure you're compensated but also to make sure the company is safe, and a good adjuster is going to hear "drives through 2 feet of water" as "not a good risk or safe driver". So if it makes financial sense, I'd just snag a new vehicle if they are going to total you out, and if you really like the SUV, get the dents fixed if you can and keep it for liability only/trade in.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My friend needs someone to chat to about professional insurance for a computer tech company in California. Anyone here able to do that? He wants to buy it if it turns out he needs to and it'll cover what he's looking for, etc, etc.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Jovial cynic is an agent in California.

Chiparus
May 7, 2012
I looked for a specifically medical-insurance thread but couldn't find one, so if there is a better place to post this question, please let me know.

My wife will soon be switching health insurance to a program through the school she will be studying at. She is considering a gender transition from female to male, which would likely happen during the 5ish years she's getting her PhD. My question is, when she graduates and leaves the school-offered insurance, will being FtM be considered a pre-existing condition and therefore inhibit our ability to find affordable insurance? Would I just want to make sure I have my own and add her to it, or would that run into the same issues? Also, if she's legally changed gender to male, but still needs female-specific surgeries/care, what gender should be on the policy?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chiparus posted:

I looked for a specifically medical-insurance thread but couldn't find one, so if there is a better place to post this question, please let me know.

My wife will soon be switching health insurance to a program through the school she will be studying at. She is considering a gender transition from female to male, which would likely happen during the 5ish years she's getting her PhD. My question is, when she graduates and leaves the school-offered insurance, will being FtM be considered a pre-existing condition and therefore inhibit our ability to find affordable insurance? Would I just want to make sure I have my own and add her to it, or would that run into the same issues? Also, if she's legally changed gender to male, but still needs female-specific surgeries/care, what gender should be on the policy?

That is a very specific question, one that likely varies from state to state. You have to remember, that people can't be denied for pre-existing conditions in the US, but they CAN be charged for it. Then there is also the issue of elective vs non-elective procedures which policies may or not cover. I should think that when you get a health insurance policy, you should find one that you find agreeable on premium and them ask if that particular coverage is provided in the first place. If it is covered under that plan, then great! The rub is that a company often factors into their premiums that they'll be taking care of certain medical costs associated with a male or female customer vs having to pay for both for one member of the household.

This is such a hard question to answer, and I have to say, the medical insurance industry is absolutely not equipped to handle it in a standard policy. I hate to say it, but I'd find an agent you trust and go over this with them and then have them find the companies that would cover the care. I don't doubt they will cover your wife, its whether they'll tack on a bunch of extra premium because of the male AND female procedures that you say may be done.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

SiGmA_X posted:

My friend needs someone to chat to about professional insurance for a computer tech company in California. Anyone here able to do that? He wants to buy it if it turns out he needs to and it'll cover what he's looking for, etc, etc.

Sent you a PM. I do a lot of professional liability / cyber liability.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

The Jizzer posted:

Sent you a PM. I do a lot of professional liability / cyber liability.
Thanks!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I have a question.

I work in a small time computer shop, and the owner is trying to get insurance on the place. Now I've only dealt with personal insurance, and I know business everything is more expensive, but he's telling me that 1200 a year only covers 5k our equipment and 5k customer equipment, including theft. Is this a standard rate?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I have a question.

I work in a small time computer shop, and the owner is trying to get insurance on the place. Now I've only dealt with personal insurance, and I know business everything is more expensive, but he's telling me that 1200 a year only covers 5k our equipment and 5k customer equipment, including theft. Is this a standard rate?

Depends on the kind of policy he got. 5K is a round number a lot of commercial policies may offer for "Business Personal Property". He should really make sure he has a bit more if he is running a computer shop, have him go over the declarations page with the agent, or explain it here. 5K is often the default value for any business, really. He's getting a nonsense policy if it only covers 5K and he has customer stuff in there all the time.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 30, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Depends on the kind of policy he got. 5K is a round number a lot of commercial policies may offer for "Business Personal Property". He should really make sure he has a bit more if he is running a computer shop, have him go over the declarations page with the agent, or explain it here. 5K is often the default value for any business, really. He's getting a nonsense policy if it only covers 5K and he has customer stuff in there all the time.

That's what I needed to know, he's trying to be a cheap rear end still, but I'm not going to let him in this case.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have experience with dealing with Cigna's health insurance? I had an MRI done back at the beginning of the year and i've been fighting for months to get the claim sorted out. At first the hospital kept submitting the radiologist's fee claims to my old insurer , and when I finally got them to submit to Cigna they claimed I hadn't obtained pre-certification (I had). I finally got that sorted out, then when the claim for the actual MRI got to Cigna they put it on hold and said I needed to have the doctor send them medical records, statement of medical necessity, etc. I got my doctor to send the info, and then the claim comes back as... not having pre-certification. I called them and the service rep claimed she now sees the pre-certification and put it through to processing.

I'm worried because Cigna stated that they were able to contact the hospital and put an extension on the bill's due date, but I haven't seen any progress on this in several days and the new due date is looming. Is dealing with Cigna always this lovely or is there something I should have done to prevent this? I should add that this is the first time i've had to deal with health insurance all on my own since I recently turned 26. When i was still on my dad's health plan getting an MRI was never this complex; i'm guessing he just had a plan with a better company and a lower deductible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After working in a medical office, I can easily say that Cigna is one of the Top 3 worst insurers to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that sounds really rough. No, I can't say I've worked with Cigna though:(