Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rcman50166 posted:

And to think I was about to open up my "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus" folder and pick one.

I believe that this just called "pictures" now in Win 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

And to think I was about to open up my "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus" folder and pick one.

I've got some ideas. I just hope the execution matches what I have in my head. Wish me luck.

I wish you the absolute best of luck and look forward to seeing what you produce.

And if it's awesome I will literally give you $35 USD towards the purchase of ReMask.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Whelp, I am also in the "slightly out of focus LF portraits" club. I got way too ambitious with my aperture for shooting a nonmodel. I am fairly happy with these two though.

20140311-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20140311-004-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
The first day of the kitesurfing season started today. For us anyway. We need some hoods, the water was rather cold.

Solnedgang over Skåstrup by AFBK, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

jackpot posted:

The general consensus so far seems to be that I suffer from "dad posting poo poo that nobody else would want to see," but I'm trying to improve on that. Besides the "make me care" part, I'd love to hear if there are any other obvious portrait failures happening here.

These are wonderful and make me want to throw my camera and lenses in the goddamned river. I've never been able to take pics of my kids this nice.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Lensbaby headshot by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Lensbaby headshot by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Don't worry, I shot normal ones with the 85 too but I thought these were kind of cool. I had to stop down to f4 to have any prayer of getting eyes in focus.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SoundMonkey posted:

Someone linked me one of these and I refused to believe it wasn't parody until they also linked me to this post.

:siren:MOD CHALLENGE:siren:

rcman420 or whatever, your challenge is to create a photograph expressing the concept of "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus", using neither literal piss nor literal garbage. Photoshop use is not permitted other than adjusting levels and such. Should you complete this challenge, this thread will forever be prohibited from making fun of any of the photos I just quoted. Should you fail to complete this challenge, bad things will happen. The challenge is open to all, and anyone who delivers a superior product will be allowed to choose the contents of a big ol' redtext title for you (worksafe), and be declared God-King of the Portrait Thread for one week (it is not entirely clear what this entails).

If you choose to dodge the "no Photoshop" rule by using GIMP, you will also be required to post a narrated YouTube video at least five minutes in length detailing your ideas and methods when processing the photograph.

Images will be judged by both myself and William T Hornaday because I like his username.

You have one week.

Alright, Soundmonkey. I hope this is up to your standards.

goon.jpg by rcman50166, on Flickr

Bonus lighting setup.

A few notes. Yes that is me. I had to buy pretty much all of those clothes in the shot as well as the home made diffuser. All in all, I spent ~$45 to avoid, at worst, a ban. Oh, I also didn't shave for three days just to look the part.

The cloth is a 54x54 white cloth that I bought at a Jo-Anne Fabrics for $8. I hemmed it then proceeded to punch tarp grommets into it to suspend with rope. The flashes are 2 Vivitar 285HVs on full power.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 16, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

Bonus lighting setup.

A few notes. Yes that is me. I had to buy pretty much all of those clothes in the shot as well as the home made diffuser. All in all, I spent ~$45 to avoid, at worst, a ban.

I'm... actually really impressed. I'm gonna have to simmer on this for a bit to decide if it qualifies as "bitchin". Question: did you also have to either buy or borrow the hat? It matters.

What say you, Mr. Hornaday?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm... actually really impressed. I'm gonna have to simmer on this for a bit to decide if it qualifies as "bitchin". Question: did you also have to either buy or borrow the hat? It matters.

What say you, Mr. Hornaday?

I had to buy the stupid hat. It was $5.40 on clearance at target. I still have the tags on it. I don't plan on keeping it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

I had to buy the stupid hat. It was $5.40 on clearance at target. I still have the tags on it. I don't plan on keeping it.

Ok because if you already owned that hat you were gonna get automatically disqualified from the "bitchin" bonus reward.

Serioustalk you should do less photoshop fuckery and more of this poo poo, getting out and taking pictures that look cool.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I try things I suck at, get yelled at here, try suggestions to get better then rinse and repeat. I guess I went a little off the deep end with those photoshops.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I think that tree on the right needs to be cropped out, but otherwise seems cool.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
socks + flip flops gets a gold star from me

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
This mod challenge > fuckin Catalina wine mixer

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Haha pretty drat good, but dont lie, you already owned that shirt.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

He has clearly completed the challenge and now nobody is allowed to make fun of any of the pics of his that I quoted earlier, but if people have ideas for the challenge, Good Stuff may happen if you submit them and they're awesome.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Stamp of approval.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
*puts fist in hand and bows honorably*

I am really interested in what everyone else interprets "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus" as.

deaders posted:

Haha pretty drat good, but dont lie, you already owned that shirt.

I was blessed with that shirt on clearance at a Spencer's Gifts for $7.50.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 16, 2014

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 8, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Took my kids out back to catch insects and managed to get a couple shots of the boy that turned out. He ends up coming off like a potentially dangerous little poo poo in them, but that's mostly because of the crowbar we use to open logs and stumps. I can't tell if I'm channeling Shelby Lee Adams or just blowing smoke up my own rear end about these being interesting in terms of composition.

I'm trying to not over do it with post in my photographs, but I don't want to be one of those people who leans on fear of correction and ends up with a bunch of really mediocre looking, RAW-ish shots. I think the colors in both of them look flat, and I'm not sure if the brightness and contrast are good in the first one.

And good save, rcman.

Your kid's hair and jacket are really cool, but they have a tree growing out of their head in the first one and the light is harsh and odd in the second. Focus problems in both. Composition-wise I don't know what you're talking about because they're both 'face goes in middle' and that's it as far as I can tell. Both would need post-work if you were happy with the rest of the photo.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Your kid's hair and jacket are really cool, but they have a tree growing out of their head in the first one and the light is harsh and odd in the second. Focus problems in both. Composition-wise I don't know what you're talking about because they're both 'face goes in middle' and that's it as far as I can tell. Both would need post-work if you were happy with the rest of the photo.

Hmm, I guess I mean "subject" instead of composition, although I really am happy with the shapes in the second one. I thought they weren't boring portraits, in other words.

I appreciate the input. What sort of post work do you think I could do to improve either of them? Up the contrast in the first, lower the exposure on his face in the second?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Give your kids banjos and squeeze them into a 24mm frame.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I haven't really shot digital properly before nor do I know anything about editing so critique is very welcome.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

widunder posted:

I haven't really shot digital properly before nor do I know anything about editing so critique is very welcome.

It is nice of that hand to prop up your friends face.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Awkward Davies posted:

It is nice of that hand to prop up your friends face.

Nothing wrong with some face-hand action.

I really like the light in the first one, by the way. The colors are subtle and lovely.

I went up on the roof with a co-worker:

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Drop Database posted:

Thanks for your feedback! I'm learning a lot about makeup :\
I didn't pay too much attention to the model's makeup application process, but I'm reasonably sure no water was involved. She changed her lipstick and eye makeup halfway through the shoot, on location, with a compact. Maybe why it looks like it does.

This is what it was like before she went full-goth with it.

I would be curious to hear your opinion. Better or worse?

Drop Database posted:

Did a photoshoot in an abandoned building back in December, only finished processing recently. What do you guys think?

I know this is a few pages back, but I didn't see anyone else mention it. To me, the most distracting thing in 'serious' photography is harsh shadows from an on-axis flash (unless it's intentional, i.e. Terry Richardson). Get the flash off axis, or make it bigger with a softbox, or even figure out how to photoshop it out. Since you want to go for a darker 'gothic' look, I'd say to expose the ambient or background a stop or two under the subject light.

The second criticism I have is that the archway of the door behind the subject intersects with her head, and 'Head in a Clean Spot' is one of my unbreakable rules. The third photo has this to a smaller degree, but it's paint on the background rather than trees or powerlines, so it's not as bad. With the full-lengths, if you had her take a step back and center her in the doorway I think it would add more 'structure' to make the photo more organized.

And now, with apologies to Luis X...

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

_MG_8779.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_8755.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_8738.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Took these for my portrait class, assignment was three portraits using different lens and lighting setups with one in color.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Can someone recommend a good "beginner" setup for a light stand + diffuser?

Basically I have my camera, a tripod and a flash. I am really interested in taking portraits, and I assume what I need next is a stand + umbrella or soft box to get the most out of my flash. Is that correct? Or is there stuff I can do with just the flash?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Basically I have my camera, a tripod and a flash. I am really interested in taking portraits, and I assume what I need next is a stand + umbrella or soft box to get the most out of my flash. Is that correct? Or is there stuff I can do with just the flash?

Do you have a way of controlling your flash once it's off your camera? You'll need some sort of remote trigger (or a long cable) as well. Also, don't discount on-camera flash for portraits. If you're in a room with light-colors walls and ceiling, you can throw the light behind you and create a large illuminated surface, which can be useful for portraits.

A Westcott double-fold white shoot-through umbrella is really handy to have. While umbrellas lack the light control and shape of a softbox, being able to put a big soft source of light just slightly off-axis to the lens will improve things considerably. You'll also need an umbrella adapter like this to attach the umbrella and flash to your stand. Softboxes are typically preferred for portraiture because of the window-like catchlights they create in the subject's eyes, plus the ability to more tightly control the light, so you can light up the person in front of you without lighting up the whole rest of the room. Not sure what a good beginner's softbox would be, the good ones all tend to be spendy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A diffuser buys you variable angular size. A bare flash is a very small light source and casts sharp shadows.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
If you're just starting out, you don't need to buy anything. You can make a softbox out of some cardboard, tape and baking paper for the diffusion material.

I made a ghetto version of Peter Hurley's crazy-expensive kino flo light setup, and while it's not exactly the same standard, it's pretty decent for costing almost nothing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

David Pratt posted:

If you're just starting out, you don't need to buy anything. You can make a softbox out of some cardboard, tape and baking paper for the diffusion material.

Haha that's pretty cool! Looks like I'd at least need to buy a light stand though, right now I don't even have that.

I bought one of those knockoff Canon flashes that have TTL and off camera control. So I don't think I need a remote trigger? Unless there's some benefit I'm not understanding.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Chekans 3 16 posted:

_MG_8779.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_8755.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_8738.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Took these for my portrait class, assignment was three portraits using different lens and lighting setups with one in color.

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between lighting setup 1 and 3. Is it that tough of rimlight in the right rear?

I have a problem: I can't stop taking pictures of people.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

triplexpac posted:

Check out Strobist, http://strobist.blogspot.com/ It's pretty interesting and he has Lighting 101 and 102 posts you can walk through and he makes some cheap gear recommendations from time to time. The LumoPro collapsible stands and Wescott umbrellas are cheap but quality as long as you don't plan on doing too much outside on a windy day, etc.

You're flash might also have an optical slave to get you started as well.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I have been using 285HVs for 4 years now. Fantastic, cheap, manual flashes. I have 3 of them with 3 umbrellas and stands with wireless triggers. All in all about $300 bucks worth of lighting for a full studio. See goon.jpg.

Hot lights are even cheaper, given you never want to be more than a few feet away from an outlet.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

rcman50166 posted:

I have been using 285HVs for 4 years now. Fantastic, cheap, manual flashes. I have 3 of them with 3 umbrellas and stands with wireless triggers. All in all about $300 bucks worth of lighting for a full studio. See goon.jpg.

Hot lights are even cheaper, given you never want to be more than a few feet away from an outlet.

I bought a couple LumoPro LP180s when they were on sale over Black Friday for 159 a piece. I'd recommend them as well, optical, pc and mono cable sync options, built in gel holder and thread to for your light stand to get them closer on axis to your umbrella or modifier.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between lighting setup 1 and 3. Is it that tough of rimlight in the right rear?

Background light might be spilling a bit, the 1st and 3rd one are both Rembrandt, but the black and white one the light is closer and there's no fill. Also the diffusion is placed differently. I didn't really like the results I got with other setups so they ended up similar, but hopefully different enough.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

rcman50166 posted:

Yessss

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

red19fire posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but I didn't see anyone else mention it. To me, the most distracting thing in 'serious' photography is harsh shadows from an on-axis flash (unless it's intentional, i.e. Terry Richardson). Get the flash off axis, or make it bigger with a softbox, or even figure out how to photoshop it out. Since you want to go for a darker 'gothic' look, I'd say to expose the ambient or background a stop or two under the subject light.

The second criticism I have is that the archway of the door behind the subject intersects with her head, and 'Head in a Clean Spot' is one of my unbreakable rules. The third photo has this to a smaller degree, but it's paint on the background rather than trees or powerlines, so it's not as bad. With the full-lengths, if you had her take a step back and center her in the doorway I think it would add more 'structure' to make the photo more organized.

And now, with apologies to Luis X...

First three are good but last one makes it look like she's missing an arm, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

First three are good but last one makes it look like she's missing an arm, no?

That + derp face.