Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

tagesschau posted:

Great, now all it has to do is continue flatlining for another 15-25 years to remain a "soft landing." That's totally possible, right? :v:

Only if the 10-15% of the population directly employed in building new houses/condos can magically get jobs in Fort McMurray. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

Only if the 10-15% of the population directly employed in building new houses/condos can magically get jobs in Fort McMurray. :v:

Not to mention HELOC spending suckout from the economy like in the US bubble crash.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

etalian posted:

Not to mention HELOC spending suckout from the economy like in the US bubble crash.

Plus implosion of bank profits, death of the FIRE sector, consumer confidence in the toilet...

There's a reason we call "soft landings" the unicorns of economics: they don't exist.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Plus implosion of bank profits, death of the FIRE sector, consumer confidence in the toilet...

There's a reason we call "soft landings" the unicorns of economics: they don't exist.

Yeah well did you go to Princeton like our deputy governor

Stop being so negative!!!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

tagesschau posted:

Great, now all it has to do is continue flatlining for another 15-25 years to remain a "soft landing." That's totally possible, right? :v:

edit: It's possible for that timeline to be shorter, but there would have to be a lot of inflation outside the housing sector for that to be the case.

We would also need to discover life extension, to stave off the impending wave of Boomers who intend to finance their retirement by selling their houses to buyers who don't exist.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Rime posted:

We would also need to discover life extension, to stave off the impending wave of Boomers who intend to finance their retirement by selling their houses to buyers who don't exist.

Oh, I exist, its just that I won't pay more than $300,000-400,000 for a detached home in my neighborhood. :colbert:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Cultural Imperial posted:

I don't know about you guys but the only financial news that I'm completely focused on is the impending collapse of China's shadow banking system. It's been about a week since haixin steel defaulted and no one in western press is covering this except the FT.

Yes, a loving steel mill became a defacto bank. That's how hosed up China is.

Oh yeah I forgot about China. Yeah that would about do it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yup to reiterate I don't believe a soft landing is possible when you have such pumped up cheap credit bubble and also how the bubble is indirectly connected to so many different industries.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I don't know about you guys but the only financial news that I'm completely focused on is the impending collapse of China's shadow banking system. It's been about a week since haixin steel defaulted and no one in western press is covering this except the FT.

Yes, a loving steel mill became a defacto bank. That's how hosed up China is.

This sounds like something that should get its own thread. :stare:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

This sounds like something that should get its own thread. :stare:

Let's just say they took the Keynesian solution for a recession to the extreme since the government controls vast sections of the economy though state owned industries.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mr. Wynand posted:

You know it's been about a year since prices stopped rising IIRC. That doesn't mean things won't collapse at the first sign of trouble (like a major euro collapse or Russia doing something insane), but until that happens it's not exactly crazy to describe what is currently happening as a "soft landing".
Housing takes a long time to crash, it doesn't crash like your typical financial market. Talk of a 'soft landing' and 'permanent plateau prices' lasted about a year in the US before things really got going downwards. A constant stream of various acts (ie. HAMP, HARP), mortgage moratoriums, and lots of state/bank level can kicking operations muddied the waters and slowed things down considerably over the several year bust too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wynand posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about China. Yeah that would about do it.

The thing about China is; push comes to shove they are still mostly a centralized system. It doesn't really matter if their capitalist financial system collapses, government enterprises will run if the Chinese Communist Party wants them to run. They would not even bat an eye if rationing or price controls where needed to stave off any kind of financial crisis. Building so many luxury apartments may be a waste of resources, but it's not going to create a crisis like it would in a capitalist economy. It does however put many people to work doing something at least semi-productive. When other places are slashing budgets, China continues to grow.

In fact, all these corrupt new wealthy Chinese capitalists have invested heavily in these bogus projects. When the market collapses it will take at lot of these capitalists with it. Sounds like a good way of controlling the oligarchs so they don't get stupid like the USSR and think about splitting up the company :ninja:

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
China is actually notoriously decentralised when it comes to practical economic decisionmaking authority. If Beijing had tight control of provincial cadres, they wouldn't have a problem getting them to rein in the property bubbles, local gov't debt, abusive enclosures, etc.

e: theres a review of some of these issues here http://down.aefweb.net/AefArticles/aef130101Shen.pdf

Paper Mac fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 16, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
An important thing to remember when discussing china is that the government will go to great length to keep people employed - people with jobs don't have as much time to revolt.

The Chinese government basically hosed the worldwide tanker market last year because their shipyards were slowing down and starting to layoff people. China's gonna delay the crash as long as they can artificially, but when it does go down... It's going to be a disaster of epic proportion.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/real-estate/home+sales+largest+year+over+year+increase/9626205/story.html

quote:

Canadian home sales are expected to rebound this spring, with B.C. forecast to see the largest year-over-year increase and contribute the most to national sales activity.

The province is expected to see an 8.3 per cent increase in sales activity, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association, compared with a plus or minus three per cent increase in activity across the other provinces in 2014.

lol loving vancouver sun

why do they even bother pretending to be a newspaper

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

They've certainly been doing a run of things lately:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never understood how a newspaper called the "xxx SUN" can possibly be taken seriously. Did the word sun mean something different in the 1890s or whatever?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never understood how a newspaper called the "xxx SUN" can possibly be taken seriously. Did the word sun mean something different in the 1890s or whatever?

it's basically spun off the Murdoch newspaper concept hence trash articles and lots of nice big tit girls.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Throatwarbler posted:

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant", and etc. "Shining light" onto the unknown going-ons of the day.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Brannock posted:

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant", and etc. "Shining light" onto the unknown going-ons of the day.

Plus it's dependable, it comes daily.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 25, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Huge+demand+tiny+rental+units+Vancouver/9628610/story.html

quote:

“There’s a huge demand for these small micro-units in the centre of the city,” he said. “In order to make them affordable, they need to be very small, condensed units with shared washrooms. That’s just a fact of life.”

In other news, we are all obliged to work 80 hour weeks for free. That's just a fact of life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Huge+demand+tiny+rental+units+Vancouver/9628610/story.html

In other news, we are all obliged to work 80 hour weeks for free. That's just a fact of life.

Pretty much a sign that there's no affordable rents around similar to other overpriced cities such as SF or Washington DC.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Same thing's being pushed in Boston. It's "housing for millennials." Y'know, because if you're young and underpaid, it's your wanting to stretch out your arms that's the problem. It's absolutely disgusting. Truly, these are the cyberpunkest of times.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
First-time home buyers in Toronto plan to spend $408,300 on average: BMO

Toronto Star posted:

A Bank of Montreal report on first-time home buyers says the average budget has increased to $316,100.
That's up nearly six per cent from an average of $300,000 in last year's report on first-time home buyers.

I have to believe that the only people left in the market are either independently wealthy or planning to borrow far more than is healthy because they're deluded about future interest rates and their own future earning potential. Given people's actual incomes, the number of houses being bought and sold, and the pigeonhole principle, the overwhelming majority have to fall into the latter category.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Hey Millenials! You love backpacking around the world in hostels, right? Well now you can bring that experience back home!"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Thought experiment: what if Canadians, culturally, value home ownership so much relative to renting that they are willing to pay through the nose to participate at the expense of every other aspect of their lives? Maybe this is a new normal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Thought experiment: what if Canadians, culturally, value home ownership so much relative to renting that they are willing to pay through the nose to participate at the expense of every other aspect of their lives? Maybe this is a new normal.

This essentially makes Canada the new Dubai. The run up in prices is Dubai was caused by rising petrol prices and Islamic law. Basically all these people were getting rich and they couldn't do anything with their money except buy houses because it was forbidden by Islamic law. I don't think the market for sukuks was as developed at the time.

So instead of Islamic law, Canadians believe in the holy doctrine of home ownership administered by archbishop rennie and cardinal lamb.

Wow I am so full of poo poo this morning

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I would really enjoy living in one of those micro-lofts with the murphy beds and stuff, especially since I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to possessions anyways. I'm just not willing to pay $900+/month for the joy of doing so when I can rent 1/4 of a pretty drat huge house for $500.

The only people willing to rent in these warrens are those too fiscally irresponsible to suck it up about having roommates, trust fund babies who are storing most of their belongings in their parents basement so that they can pretend to be "living on the edge".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Also people who've never had to share a bathroom with neighbors since the first year of college.

poo poo sucks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Plus, any savings in rent would be made up for with increased spending on food since there's no way to cook.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Plus, any savings in rent would be made up for with increased spending on food since there's no way to cook.

wow, what the hell, I never even thought of that. How does the developer of these things expect that particular circle to be squared?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Lexicon posted:

wow, what the hell, I never even thought of that. How does the developer of these things expect that particular circle to be squared?

My roommate has access to a stove, slow-cooker and a rice-cooker in my kitchen whenever he wants, but instead he consistently eats frozen dinners and takeout way more than he cooks anything. Which is fine by me, because way less mess and competition for kitchen use.

So, I think some people would welcome the excuse to not have to cook.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

My roommate has access to a stove, slow-cooker and a rice-cooker in my kitchen whenever he wants, but instead he consistently eats frozen dinners and takeout way more than he cooks anything. Which is fine by me, because way less mess and competition for kitchen use.

So, I think some people would welcome the excuse to not have to cook.

I guess that's true. I can't fathom it myself, as I really enjoy cooking (and eating) fairly-elaborate meals, but I'm probably in the minority at this point.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lexicon posted:

I guess that's true. I can't fathom it myself, as I really enjoy cooking (and eating) fairly-elaborate meals, but I'm probably in the minority at this point.

Nah I'm with you here dude; when I was apartment hunting 4 years back the first thing I looked at was the kitchen. oven/stove suck? Not enough counter space? lovely small fridge? No drat thanks.

Second thing was bedroom space, so these new tiny spaces are anathema to me.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

JawKnee posted:

Nah I'm with you here dude; when I was apartment hunting 4 years back the first thing I looked at was the kitchen. oven/stove suck? Not enough counter space? lovely small fridge? No drat thanks.

Second thing was bedroom space, so these new tiny spaces are anathema to me.

Yeah. Nothing demoralizes like a poo poo kitchen if you have even the slightest interest in cooking/food.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Flaherty out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/finance-minister-jim-flaherty-resigns-from-cabinet/article17549674/

Leaving for the 'private sector' which I can only assume is a euphemism for 'Bay St'

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha I hope Harper replaces him with some retard like Kenney or even better, a libertarian rear end in a top hat like Moore.

This crash is going to be so painful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm totally cool with a tiny bedroom. What the hell do I do in there but sleep and get dressed? I want a big kitchen and main room. Nice bathroom is a plus too, size isn't as important as it being easy to keep clean. Too many apartments have nasty bathrooms with wobbly toilets, stained tubs, and hosed faucets.

I could probably do ok in a tiny unit that was a nice sized kitchen/main area, a "bed closet" to sleep in, and a bathroom. That is if I wasn't nuts about model trains and need an entire full sized bedroom for it. Paying for a 2br unit for my loving trains because I know I'll never be a retired old guy with a big basement because I'm never going to afford a house and I probably won't have a retirement either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Basically all these people were getting rich and they couldn't do anything with their money except buy houses because it was forbidden by Islamic law.

This is hilarious if you know anything about Islamic finance tbh