Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

computer parts posted:

Single mothers are more sympathetic.

To expand, they're not the same thing, one is a single mother having a baby by herself with no father involved (67%) and the other is an unmarried couple having a baby together, both of them raising it. (60%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That depends on exactly how you interpret the words "having a baby."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Margin of error, variance in poll respondents, differences in poll methodology, respondent biases? There are many reasons.
Well I was assuming, perhaps mistakenly, that these were all from the same poll. If they're not then they really shouldn't be listed together like that without margins of error.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To expand, they're not the same thing, one is a single mother having a baby by herself with no father involved (67%) and the other is an unmarried couple having a baby together, both of them raising it. (60%)
Interesting that staying together and raising a child is seen as worse than splitting up and raising a child. Though if you see it as "they could get married but don't" in the first case and "he left and now she's still having the kid" in the second then I guess it makes some sense.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DreamShipWrecked posted:

single mother having a baby by herself with no father involved

There is only a single, unconfirmed case of this ever happening! But the approval rating is pretty high.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deuce posted:

There is only a single, unconfirmed case of this ever happening! But the approval rating is pretty high.
There was a Father involved then :colbert:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MaxxBot posted:

The same dichotomy exists here in the US, our culture is rapidly liberalizing their views on sexuality but abortion is a big exception because I believe most people view it differently than the other issues relating to sex and sexuality.

The weird thing about this is how the US is less Catholic than Latin America, but in the US it's the Catholics who are statistically more likely to support abortion rights (versus e.g. Evangelicals). It will be interesting to see if the trend of younger Americans being more non-religious affects this at all.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There was a Father involved then :colbert:

I seem to recall there being two.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deuce posted:

Really? I heard it got absolutely crucified in early polling.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

Really? I heard it got absolutely crucified in early polling.

Yeah, but the numbers recovered after a few days.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Technogeek posted:

Yeah, but the numbers recovered after a few days.

Are you sure? I'm gonna need to see some evidence.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tarezax posted:

Are you sure? I'm gonna need to see some evidence.

They always release the bad news on Fridays for a reason.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I am happy to explain all of this in my new book, Jesus Has Two Daddys.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

paragon1 posted:

I am happy to explain all of this in my new book, Jesus Has Two Daddys.

Possibly three depending on what the Holy Ghost's gender is.

Maybe it's genderqueer?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Two things, not to ruin the puns:

1. Scotland's gay marriage bill was given royal assent and is now law, although I don't know when the marriages will start proper, and

2. Lambda Legal is suing in Arizona to overturn their ban.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teddybear posted:

I think they came off the assembly line already ruined. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Teddybear posted:

1. Scotland's gay marriage bill was given royal assent and is now law, although I don't know when the marriages will start proper, and

2. Lambda Legal is suing in Arizona to overturn their ban.

Marriages in Scotland should start in Autumn.

Also, the UK has started to recognise overseas marriages depending on the laws of the constituent country, and registrations are open for same-sex couples. :toot:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Sadly, it looks like Northern Ireland is not going to legalize gay marriage anytime soon.

Question for any UK members: what's NI like compared to the rest of the UK? I've heard anecdotal evidence that it's much more patriotic and nationalist than the rest of the country owing to the situation w/ the Republic but I don't know a whole lot about it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

The death penalty still receives massive support :negative:

Being put to death is almost certainly more humane than even 15 years in an average US prison. :geno:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AYC posted:

Sadly, it looks like Northern Ireland is not going to legalize gay marriage anytime soon.

Question for any UK members: what's NI like compared to the rest of the UK? I've heard anecdotal evidence that it's much more patriotic and nationalist than the rest of the country owing to the situation w/ the Republic but I don't know a whole lot about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvxqGnVO2w

Largest party are a far-right ultra-unionist bunch of wankers. As they have over 30 MLAs, they can effectively veto any legislation proposed by any of the other parties under a rule built to promote cross-community consensus.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It seems to be a unionist/nationalist divided issue, at least in the assembly. The DUP and other unionists are very socially conservative; Sinn Féin and the nationalists seem to be supportive of marriage equality; the cross-community Alliance voted against the motion they had a few years ago. NI is a very religious place; which probably makes changes in these sort of issues a lot harder. In order for things to change; you'd need enough Unionist MPs to switch and that's going to be hard because every unionist party is Socially Conservative and you're not going to see young people switch to the other side just because of marriage equality - the furthest you'd get is the Alliance who voted with the Unionists against the Sinn Féin motion...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Being put to death is almost certainly more humane than even 15 years in an average US prison. :geno:

Average time a death row inmate spends in jail before being put to death: 15 years.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

cruft posted:

Average time a death row inmate spends in jail before being put to death: 15 years.

well if they would stop appealing for their lives and take the sweet embrace of death they'd stop wasting taxpayer money and all of our times. :colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

If I had to guess from people with similar views here, it's probably that they literally believe that life begins at conception, whereas they know many people in their community who don't have children and are happy/productive anyway (especially their church leaders).

Just ask them "What if Hitler had been aborted?". :godwin:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

effectual posted:

Just ask them "What if Hitler had been aborted?". :godwin:
Tall, handsome, not loving insane and intent on making all his underlings backstab each other Joseph Goebbels comes to power instead, things quite possibly go much worse for the Allies?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CapnAndy posted:

Tall, handsome, not loving insane and intent on making all his underlings backstab each other Joseph Goebbels comes to power instead, things quite possibly go much worse for the Allies?

Handsome isn't a word that comes to mind.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh yeah, and he was only 5'5". Other points still stand; who was the tall and handsome one, then? I know one was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CapnAndy posted:

Oh yeah, and he was only 5'5". Other points still stand; who was the tall and handsome one, then? I know one was.

Whichever guy Tom Cruise played in Valkyrie.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Reinhard Heydrich comes to mind.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CapnAndy posted:

Himmler's go-to man, Reinhard Heydrich, was by all accounts one good-lookin' sociopathic monster.

edit: drat you, Gen. Ripper!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Heydrich was tall but I don't know if I'd call him handsome. He kinda reminds me of the banjo kid from Deliverance.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lycus posted:

Heydrich was tall but I don't know if I'd call him handsome. He kinda reminds me of the banjo kid from Deliverance.

According to many sources who knew him, the man was a real lady-killer and not just in the usual Nazi way.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

AYC posted:

Yet the same country is vehemently anti-abortion and has some of the strictest laws against it in the world.

Latin America is interesting. Most people still disapprove of abortion, and most still identify as Catholics, but marriage equality is rapidly gaining ground in almost every nation. The contrast between two issues, both firmly opposed by the Catholic Church, and their widespread acceptance vs. widespread rejection is interesting from a cultural standpoint.

Afraid I don't know enough about Latin America to understand why the pro-gay/pro-life mix exists though.

It's quite simple, really. There are 2 kinds of people: those who focus on things they hate and those who focus n things they like. Bigots and homophobes belong in the former since why would go deny gays anything if you're focusing on loving something? Love the sanctity of marriage? That has nothing to do with gays. You'd be more concerned with infidelity and divorces. Heck, you'd want everyone to get married if you love marriage that much! So you're only left with people who hate gays.

Now, with abortion, you get the former, people who hate sluts, and the latter, people who love babies. It's also simple to see: the policy that also pushes for easier access to contraception and sexual education is driven more by the latter because loving babies has nothing to do with sluts. The slut haters would deny contraception because they don't give a poo poo about babies and are just using them to punish sluts. This is why abortion issue has always been and always will be controversial. It won't stop being such an issue until we figured out a way to control our fertility with a switch that we can personally turn on and off.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Federal Judge Issues Temporary Order That Tennessee Recognize Three Same-Sex Couples' Marriages
They got married out of state and are challenging the Tennessee constitutional amendment. Nobody in TN can get married yet.

quote:

The court finds that the defendants are not likely to suffer costs and damages, should the be found to have been wrongfully enjoined.
But the moral costs! And undermining the 1.4m votes for amendment 1! :ohdear:

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
All of this talk about who is the most handsome Nazi is what I imagine freepers and other assorted wingnuts are picturing when they try to warn us of the gay gestapo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DutchDupe posted:

All of this talk about who is the most handsome Nazi is what I imagine freepers and other assorted wingnuts are picturing when they try to warn us of the gay gestapo.

Everyone knows Hitler was a gay communist and that's why liberals love him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Deuce posted:

Everyone knows Hitler was a gay communist and that's why liberals love him.

Well he was a sensitive man after all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DutchDupe posted:

The revolution will be well-tailored. And all those spit-shined boots... :allears:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So uh, Fred Phelps is close to the end: https://www.facebook.com/NatePhelps/posts/10151924300961765

quote:

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates F*gs" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder how many people will picket his funeral with signs like "GOD HATES PHELPS" and "PHELPS DIES GOD LAUGHS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Rickycat posted:

I wonder how many people will picket his funeral with signs like "GOD HATES PHELPS" and "PHELPS DIES GOD LAUGHS"

That would be giving him what he wants, though. Better would be to just ignore him and WBC, since they thrive on the attention.

• Locked thread