Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh right those wingless guys, pfft who builds those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they'll redo them for this patch to make them fly at the very least, or possibly not even cost tons of resources, who knows?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think LA Atlantis' sacred lawnmowers also have Ice Weapons, or is it just their normal infantry that does?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Normal inf has ice gear, sacreds have magic bone gear.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jabarto posted:

Is there a reason why so many people seem to prefer Vine Shields over Shields of Gleaming Gold for thugs/SC's? Everyone always mentions the former, but the latter has *extremely* good stats for a shield, pairs well with fear-inducing items/abilities, and it looks like a wash as to which one has the better crowd control ability (Awe doesn't work well on high-morale enemies, but vines don't work well against high-strength enemies, either).

Vine shields are available earlier (const 4 instead of 6,) don't add any encumbrance and the vines will work against mindless units which Awe does nothing against. but yeah I prefer SOGG

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Neifel jarls have a ice sword im pretty sure but like, whos taking a f bless on them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nah they have a Jotun Longsword.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Watch them update blizzard warriors so they have ice bows by default. I can't wait to see what updated caelum means though.

I know their troops are mostly trash and their entire thing is basically rush t-strike right now but I still like to play EA and MA :colbert:. Caelum with better stuff will be even more fun.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 16, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
All caelian units changed to ice weaponry, base F5 chassis added to caelian national pretender list.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Jabarto posted:

Is there a reason why so many people seem to prefer Vine Shields over Shields of Gleaming Gold for thugs/SC's? Everyone always mentions the former, but the latter has *extremely* good stats for a shield, pairs well with fear-inducing items/abilities, and it looks like a wash as to which one has the better crowd control ability (Awe doesn't work well on high-morale enemies, but vines don't work well against high-strength enemies, either).

In Dom3, the vine shield prevented attacks with a failed mr check, entangled enemies that failed, and they had to spend a round making a strength check to get out.
In Dom4, the vine shield entangles enemies that fail the mr check but does not prevent their initial attack, and they have to spend a round making a strength check to get out.

The Dom3 ability is greatly superior to Awe; it's was basically a mr-based Awe that lasted for 2 rounds at min.
The Dom4 version is basically a mr-based Awe that can potentially last for more than 1 round but will often not. HOWEVER availability at Const 4 vs Const 6 is massively more important in Dom4 due to the scaling of research costs.

Generally speaking N2 is probably very slightly more available than F1 E1, and 0 enc is pretty great. But I'll make whatever I can based on what paths my nation has and my gem incomes & expenditures <- that's the real answer.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Black hawks have a siege attack penalty, but I *think* they don't have a siege defense penalty, which means if you're under siege casting that a couple of times will be a big pain for your opponent.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That's correct, but in Dom4 they're also twice as expensive as Dom3.

Black Hawks have a -1 penalty to siege attack, which counteracts the +1 bonus to siege attack a unit with flying gets. They have nothing to counteract the +1 bonus to siege defense a unit with flying gets.
Animals don't have any penalties to sieges.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

That's correct, but in Dom4 they're also twice as expensive as Dom3.

Black Hawks have a -1 penalty to siege attack, which counteracts the +1 bonus to siege attack a unit with flying gets. They have nothing to counteract the +1 bonus to siege defense a unit with flying gets.
Animals don't have any penalties to sieges.

Monkey nations would be very sad if the siege penalty for animals was actually a thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Do mindless units get a siege penalty? I could have sworn the Dom3 manual said something about that at some point. Then again, I've never forgiven it for the "Niefelheim PD's Really Good" thing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Penguingo posted:

Do mindless units get a siege penalty? I could have sworn the Dom3 manual said something about that at some point. Then again, I've never forgiven it for the "Niefelheim PD's Really Good" thing.

They get a defense penalty which makes them only count for 10% of their normal siege defense. Until recently this was actually broken so it was basically impossible to siege nations like MA Ermor. :v:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Im very confused. In my mp game I checked the global enchantments and no one had the Forge of the Ancients up. I cast the spell and it said it didn't work because someone has a more powerful version up? I checked the list again and nothing. Is it a bug or does FotA not appear on that list?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Were there 5 globals up? In that case, it might have chosen a random global to overwrite, and it had a lot of gems put into it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
5 globals are up. poo poo drat didn't realize there was a limit.

THIS GAME!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Monkey nations would be very sad if the siege penalty for animals was actually a thing.

Monkey nations units shouldn't have the animal tag, they are supposed to be intelligent apes, not "normal" ones.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Turin Turambar posted:

Monkey nations units shouldn't have the animal tag, they are supposed to be intelligent apes, not "normal" ones.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

Depends on the monkey. According to in-game descriptions the smallest ones are barely sapient enough to understand speech and far too dumb to behave in any sort of organized manner that involves long-term planning. Sounds like at least some of the apes should have the animal tag.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Despite all this, individual monkeys can live behind enemy territory for years on end, somehow channeling scouting reports back (and discriminating between different types of fortifications) with an accuracy matching that of professional elven soldiers who have literally been making war for centuries.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Monkey see, monkey do.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

They can also do that while blind, deaf, mute, feebleminded, and missing both arms.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rzal posted:

They can also do that while blind, deaf, mute, feebleminded, and missing both arms.
Maybe they have a magic version of one of those eyebrow-to-text devices Stephen Hawking has.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rzal posted:

Still got a tail! :shepface:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Penguingo posted:

Despite all this, individual monkeys can live behind enemy territory for years on end, somehow channeling scouting reports back (and discriminating between different types of fortifications) with an accuracy matching that of professional elven soldiers who have literally been making war for centuries.

I just figured they made crude drawings using mud, sticks, and their own crap on leaves and put them in the nearest post office box. The non-stupid apes back home would make sense out of the drawings because, though they were stupid, the little monkeys were consistent in how they thought and acted. Ever noticed how in combat they miss literally everything?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

rzal posted:

That reminds me, some afflictions are apparently harder to heal than others, but how does that work exactly? From what I can tell, any kind of healing ability has to make a healing check against the affliction's difficulty to succeed, so I guess there's a DRN involved and it may take multiple tries to heal tougher ones.

On that note are there some afflictions that just can't be healed? In one of my Arcos games I had a hoplite that lost both arms, and he never managed to regain them even when traveling with multiple priestesses. I can't tell if it's impossible or just very unlikely.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

That reminds me, some afflictions are apparently harder to heal than others, but how does that work exactly? From what I can tell, any kind of healing ability has to make a healing check against the affliction's difficulty to succeed, so I guess there's a DRN involved and it may take multiple tries to heal tougher ones.

On that note are there some afflictions that just can't be healed? In one of my Arcos games I had a hoplite that lost both arms, and he never managed to regain them even when traveling with multiple priestesses. I can't tell if it's impossible or just very unlikely.

Armloss is extremely hard to heal to the point that I've seen a guy with a lost arm sit for over a dozen turns in friendly dom10 goh without healing it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Armloss is extremely hard to heal to the point that I've seen a guy with a lost arm sit for over a dozen turns in friendly dom10 goh without healing it.

I've had an immortal vampire lord lose an arm and not get it back for over 50 turns, I am beginning to wonder if it is ever possible to regrow a lost arm.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

I've had an immortal vampire lord lose an arm and not get it back for over 50 turns, I am beginning to wonder if it is ever possible to regrow a lost arm.

It can happen eventually. I had an obese bane lord grow a lost arm back.

I think in the current build dementia is bugged though and never heals.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I honestly wonder how undead can get fat.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

amuayse posted:

I honestly wonder how undead can get fat.

Well, they don't burn many calories.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah, I've definitely had units recover from blindness and even regrow lost eyes, but arms (and never-healing-wounds, to a lesser extent) seem to be the hardest.

Can legs be severed? I've only ever seen limps or crippling.

Decrepus posted:

Well, they don't burn many calories.

This made me laugh pretty hard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Game of the Year.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Can legs be severed? I've only ever seen limps or crippling.
It's abstracted as Crippled.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Neruz posted:

I like to imagine the poor demented blood mage has just utterly lost it; and is killing a small number of the sides war resources every turn in a futile effort to cure his mental problems through... insane cannibalism. Great plan that. But who wants to be the guy to tell him that maybe those slaves could be better spent on a succubus?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

reignofevil posted:

I like to imagine the poor demented blood mage has just utterly lost it; and is killing a small number of the sides war resources every turn in a futile effort to cure his mental problems through... insane cannibalism. Great plan that. But who wants to be the guy to tell him that maybe those slaves could be better spent on a succubus?

He was, for the first ~10 of those turns he was casting blood feast each turn to try and regrow his lost arm but despite consuming several tonnes of virgin flesh in an orgy of death his arm refused to grow back.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Neruz posted:

He was, for the first ~10 of those turns he was casting blood feast each turn to try and regrow his lost arm but despite consuming several tonnes of virgin flesh in an orgy of death his arm refused to grow back.

I dunno if it's changed, but I've had better luck with bloodfeast doing miraculous healing. The one thing that didn't seem to go away was feebleminded, of course I didn't cast it for more than 2 or 3 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Game of the Year.

Ironically Turkeys are fairly dangerous because they're probably Nauhuali mages in shapeshifted form.

• Locked thread