Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Do any of you spend enough time around blues dads to know if they have added a third musician to their list of blues guitarists they like, in addition to "You know, Clapton and, like, SRV, man"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

serious question: what's wrong with Clapton and SRV? despite him being an "icon" or whatever i'm not actually very familiar with Clapton, but i think both Layla and his solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps are really good. and i'm sure i've heard Tears in Heaven a million times, but it hasn't left much impression on me.

Does he suck in everything else he's done? or just that he's inspired a million middle aged dudes to spend way too much money to noodle around on a guitar instead of actually learning to play?

As for SRV i haven't listened to him since like...'92 so maybe my memory is foggy, but i remember thinking he was a decent player. even if he might not have been famous if he didn't die.

also, i'm reposting this because it's funny drat it
musician humor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkf_rEW92h8
"i heard eddie van halen taught jeff beck everything he knows!" :haw:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

tacodaemon posted:

Do any of you spend enough time around blues dads to know if they have added a third musician to their list of blues guitarists they like, in addition to "You know, Clapton and, like, SRV, man"?

joe bonamassa

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Clapton hasn't done anything good since Layla. I don't think Clapton really understood what made the blues the blues, though. (Duane Allman played the cool parts of that album anyway).

I don't think anyone has a problem with SRV. I'm fine with him, he plays cool poo poo. But bluesdads think the blues is just British rock and SRV, which is disgusting bullshit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

a kitten posted:

serious question: what's wrong with Clapton and SRV? despite him being an "icon" or whatever i'm not actually very familiar with Clapton, but i think both Layla and his solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps are really good. and i'm sure i've heard Tears in Heaven a million times, but it hasn't left much impression on me.

pretty sure Clapton is the proto bluesdad and has had his head up his own rear end since the mid 70s

srv was a cool guy but he's not exactly someone to idolize or emulate, since his playing style was pretty much "cocaine", and anyone trying to replicate that sound is gonna end up sounding ironically soulless because they themselves didn't grow up hanging out with a bunch of old southern blues guys like srv did, you just end up with big dorks trying to imitate a big dork rather than a big dork doing his best to show off to Albert King

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

a kitten posted:

Does he suck in everything else he's done? or just that he's inspired a million middle aged dudes to spend way too much money to noodle around on a guitar instead of actually learning to play?

in the 80s there was a trend in adult contemporary where white people marketed themselves as blues. clapton was probably the most successful

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Clapton was also a gigantic racist

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

a kitten posted:

As for SRV i haven't listened to him since like...'92 so maybe my memory is foggy, but i remember thinking he was a decent player. even if he might not have been famous if he didn't die.

also, i'm reposting this because it's funny drat it
musician humor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkf_rEW92h8
"i heard eddie van halen taught jeff beck everything he knows!" :haw:

SRV isn't bad, just loved by bluesdads and they think he is the pinnacle of blues. Clapton was good but ever since Cream "first successful supergroup" he's been more douchey. He also hasn't really done anything memorable since Layla.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Ah right, I figured another white guy had to have come along by now

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

01011001 posted:

in conclusion, my SUPER HARD ON finished early, as usual :gizz:

Bah you beat me, still waiting on my BS170's to come in. Should be here Tuesday. I was going to lay out the rest on perfboard today and wire up the enclosure though. I'm thinking yellow with a blue LED.

Dec 26, 2012

its all good, im gonna have to lay it into something more permanent later like someone above mentioned

plus decorate it, its pretty boring right now

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

01011001 posted:

its all good, im gonna have to lay it into something more permanent later like someone above mentioned

plus decorate it, its pretty boring right now

yeah, I suck at decorating, and was just going to print something up for it. my buddy gave me a good name for it: priapism.

e: if you need enclosure help I can link you to the Hammonds I use on mouser. cheap, aluminum, sturdy, and come finished in a bunch of solid colors.

e2: gently caress it here: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=hammond+1590b the 1590B's are MXR-sized, and the BB's are bigger.

booshi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 16, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

tacodaemon posted:

john mayer made a go at it for a while there too, but it's a limited market

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

comes along bort posted:

john mayer made a go at it for a while there too, but it's a limited market

I'll make an exception for Jeff Healey because I know he didn't see color

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
My favorite Clapton story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPJgtQwtVVA

tacodaemon posted:

Jimmy Page?

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 16, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

robben ford, too. gotta get that robbben ford tone~ duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble

Dec 26, 2012

booshi posted:

yeah, I suck at decorating, and was just going to print something up for it. my buddy gave me a good name for it: priapism.

e: if you need enclosure help I can link you to the Hammonds I use on mouser. cheap, aluminum, sturdy, and come finished in a bunch of solid colors.

e2: gently caress it here: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=hammond+1590b the 1590B's are MXR-sized, and the BB's are bigger.

on the one hand i saw those aluminum ones in my local store and theyre pretty dope...on the other hand i could lasercut stuff onto one of the abs boxes. decisions

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

01011001 posted:

on the one hand i saw those aluminum ones in my local store and theyre pretty dope...on the other hand i could lasercut stuff onto one of the abs boxes. decisions

i don't know how well the abs will stand up to being stomped on. plus, if you have access to a laser cutter you could also just laser cut a layer of abs and use that for decoration.

e: and what kind of switch are you using? doesn't look like a 3pdt to me. make that fucker true bypass!

booshi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 16, 2014

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Do you guys think the mustache bridge will ever make a comeback?

Dec 26, 2012

booshi posted:

i don't know how well the abs will stand up to being stomped on. plus, if you have access to a laser cutter you could also just laser cut a layer of abs and use that for decoration.

e: and what kind of switch are you using? doesn't look like a 3pdt to me. make that fucker true bypass!

yeah i forget if i put it in the post but that switch is spst. gotta swap it to at least spdt to make a half-assed bypass but your right, if im gonna do that i might as well go all the way and make a true bypass

i gave it a few good stomps when i was testing it and its holding up so far, the box has decently solid columns so full structure collapse is unlikely but it will probably be an issue over time with lid cracking and such. if i end up keeping it plastic ill probably end up putting some kind of bracing underneath the lid to help avoid that

tacodaemon posted:

i hope every single part of that getup makes a comeback

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

input impedance on a SHO is somewhere around 5Mohm, so while it's generally best practice to have it be true bypass unless there's a good reason for it not to be (one buffer up front, true bypass after works great right through til it hits the amp), it's still probably going to reject very much signal bleed...

but yeah, it's trivially easy to stick a 3pdt in there and wire it up for true bypass + your LED so do that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tacodaemon posted:

Primo av material, this.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

tacodaemon posted:

B.B King, Albert King, Freddie King, Muddy Waters. Name drop Robert Johnson (but don't actually listen to).

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

tacodaemon posted:

It's never left

also, that owns, and owns so loving hard, if i was gay, that dude would be totally set for life

holy fuckin poo poo

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
nudie suits are due for a comeback as well

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I think the bass nerd from REM screwed up Nudie suits for a while by wearing them as part of his "hey, I'm not nerdy anymore" look in the late 90s

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

tacodaemon posted:

Hank Sr. cosplayer?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

01011001 posted:

yeah i forget if i put it in the post but that switch is spst. gotta swap it to at least spdt to make a half-assed bypass but your right, if im gonna do that i might as well go all the way and make a true bypass

i bought a shitload of 3pdt switches on ebay for cheap that are on the slow boat from china and should arrive this week. if you're in the US and don't feel like paying $5 + shipping for a switch i'll gladly just send one your way (with the bulk and the slow shipping I got them for ~$1 a piece).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tacodaemon posted:

My Dad's no BluesDad (he plays finger-picking style a la Chet Atkins and simple Jazz standards pretty much exclusively - He's 75) has been raving about this "new" (I have no idea) "white blues guy" from the Great White North Deutschland: Mark Schefffler.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU0kPb0WEYCsHYEg26GXQKCQ

I haven't actually watched any yet.

Robben Ford is my hero.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 16, 2014

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Have we exhausted all of Zakk Wylde's ugly guitars yet?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pacerhimself posted:

it looks like a generic happy person logo:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pacerhimself posted:

never he is the worst

Dr. Faustus posted:

Robben Ford is my hero.

robben ford ain't use no floyd

tacodaemon posted:

hendrix, bonamassa, b.b. king, randy rhoads for metal dads (although randy was great), slash, evh, santana, jack white, john mayer, whoever was on crossroads i dunno there are lots of things that boring old dudes like

bluesdads like all kinds of things as long as it's white guys (or mexican guys who play with white guys) and also buddy guy (it is funny that people who don't know dick about the blues are cred-checking some bluesdad strawmen up in here)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lol

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

hendrix, bonamassa, b.b. king, randy rhoads for metal dads (although randy was great), slash, evh, santana, jack white, john mayer, whoever was on crossroads i dunno there are lots of things that boring old dudes like

there were a few people who did Crossroads, but it was Clapton's version that was probably the most popular and well known.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

it's cool i heard he's like 1/32 cherokee

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

booshi posted:

there were a few people who did Crossroads, but it was Clapton's version that was probably the most popular and well known.

i mean the crossroads festival he puts on every year and then releases on dvd to fund his rehab center

but yeah also anyone who has ever covered the robert johnson song cross road blues as well

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean the crossroads festival he puts on every year and then releases on dvd to fund his rehab center

but yeah also anyone who has ever covered the robert johnson song cross road blues as well

ah okay. i grew up with a lot of cream, beatles, and clapton thanks to my dad, so i know a bunch of it too well.

though he did give me all of his records and there are some great ones in there (and some garbage my mom liked, like barry manilow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

never he is the worst

robben ford ain't use no floyd

bluesdads like all kinds of things as long as it's white guys (or mexican guys who play with white guys) and also buddy guy (it is funny that people who don't know dick about the blues are cred-checking some bluesdad strawmen up in here)

Buddy Guy is awesome even if bluesdads like him.

I feel like bluesdads I have met all like Robin Trower. I find that odd because who the gently caress has listened to anything by Robin Trower other than that Bridge of Sighs song?

• Locked thread