Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slip Slap
Jun 30, 2011

Delicious
This couldn't be more true. My boy was 3 months old when Sandyhook happened and I sobbed the entire day. I've never been happy to hear about school shootings but goddamn is it different when you've had a child. All those "prayers for Caleb, he has leukemia" type posts on facebook, forget about it. I have to block those immediately. Goes right through my heart.

I used to be a lot more mocking and sarcastic pre-baby but now every person I come into contact with, all I can think is this person is someone's child, and those parents spent countless nights hoping life would be kind to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Daylight Savings Time. And the twice annual week of sleep related insanity begins!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fionnoula posted:

Daylight Savings Time. And the twice annual week of sleep related insanity begins!

I woke up this morning at 3:30 or so, to an child-sized blob in the doorway.

:geno: Alex? Is that you? What are you doing here?
:v: Daddy!

And so it begins...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We're feeding the kids solid food with meat twice a day now, and a third time with fruits or oat meal or whatever, first time in forever that they didn't wake us up at 2 or 3 AM, I finally got to sleep to 5AM, how awesome!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish my kid would pop out his upper teeth because I think he has reached the stage where he does need meat(9 months in two days), but there is no way for him to chew it with just his two front bottom teeth.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Give him some tiny pieces of chicken, or ground beef, if you want. He'll gum the poo poo of it; he doesn't need his front teeth. ;)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh yeah, noticed a tiny white nub at the bottom of Daniels mouth this morning, think his teeth are coming in. They have no problems eating meat, you just use a blender to puree it.

We're also feeding them this much meat and other stuff because they are prematures and it's on doctors orders to get as much nutrition, esp. protein and stuff, so while they are 6 months calendar age, they're around 3.5 months developmentally, which is on schedule.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 10, 2014

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Also if you're looking at a good source of protein for babies my kids always loved tofu. It's soft and easy for babies to self-feed because you can just cut it into any size cubes. I'd give my girls the tofu from my miso soup pretty much as soon as they were old enough to use a pincer grasp and they loved it. In fact they still try to steal my tofu to this day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I make tofu a couple times a week already, I guess I could separate a little and not season before cooking.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Marchegiana posted:

Also if you're looking at a good source of protein for babies my kids always loved tofu. It's soft and easy for babies to self-feed because you can just cut it into any size cubes. I'd give my girls the tofu from my miso soup pretty much as soon as they were old enough to use a pincer grasp and they loved it. In fact they still try to steal my tofu to this day.

Eggs, especially with a little cheese. Takes like 1 minute to cook, can be eaten even without teeth, great macros.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We feed our 8 month old eggs, all sorts of soft fish, bits of chicken, pulled pork (no spice), ground beef, etc. He just gums anything that's too big / hard to swallow right away.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.
Speaking of solids, we're having trouble getting our 8.5 month old to eat. Any word on when a kid is too old to be on an all-milk diet?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The recommendation right now is that any food other than breastmilk/formula before 12 months is just really for the baby's fun and to try it out. If the kid doesn't want to eat at 8 months old, don't force it, s/he'll get all the nutrients and calories needed from nursing/bottles.

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)
My son didn't really start to eat meals, to actually eat much of anything, until almost 15 months old. We made sure to offer, especially when we ate, but he'd either play or just say no. He's healthy and happy and can eat like a horse now at 21 months.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper really didn't start eating well until about 10 months or so. A lot of it had to do with when more of his teeth came in and he could really chew he was then really interested in food. Now at 15 months he'll eat so much at one time I get concerned because I have no idea where he put it. We had a busy day the other week and got some fast food and he ate an entire whopper jr and fries. He's a skinny kid too. He's always been in the 15% for his weight.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Amykinz posted:

The recommendation right now is that any food other than breastmilk/formula before 12 months is just really for the baby's fun and to try it out. If the kid doesn't want to eat at 8 months old, don't force it, s/he'll get all the nutrients and calories needed from nursing/bottles.

I think it depends on your doctor; ours suggested the sooner the better for solid food (although not a physical requirement) as the latest research ours had seen is that later introduction of solids could be related to increased allergy prevalence.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think it depends on your doctor; ours suggested the sooner the better for solid food (although not a physical requirement) as the latest research ours had seen is that later introduction of solids could be related to increased allergy prevalence.

I never said don't let them try anything, but not to worry if the kid isn't in to eating anything. It was recommended in the past to hold off until one year or later for potential allergens like eggs and peanuts, but current research says to go ahead and try them when you feel like it in kids that DO NOT have a family history of allergies.

Once again, to reiterate: Give your kid whatever you would like them to TRY, but do not worry if the child is not eating meals with you at 8 months old. They will get all the nutrition they need from formula or breastmilk.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

About kids without teeth "gumming" food, my daughter has never chewed anything. Now she has 8 front teeth, and she can take bites out of stuff like bread and fruit, but she just swallows everything straight down without even trying to chew or gum it. Will she learn how to chew when she gets molars? (Obviously she's going to learn how to chew her food eventually, but it's a bit limiting right now when I have to make sure there are no big chunks in her food.)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Midnight Sun posted:

About kids without teeth "gumming" food, my daughter has never chewed anything.

My baby seems to mostly mash things against her palate with her tongue, and gets by alright with that, as long as I feed her relatively mashable foods.
She's got her two bottom front teeth, and went and got her two upper front teeth last week, which annoys me to no end. She has no use for them, other than to at some point in the near future draw blood from my boobs :gonk:

Anecdata: Her cousin is one year old now and eats pretty much everyting, despite still having only his two bottom teeth, so those gums seem to do a good job for him, without a trace of molars.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My baby used to bite me while nursing with just his gums and trust me those gums are hard enough to mash most things.

Now he bites me with the aid of two bottom teeth :-(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arthur, at 9 months tomorrow, has been being super picky about eating recently too. But I figured out a way to get him to eat.

Recently he won't eat any of his sweet potatoes or green beans or what not, and then even stopped liking his apples and pears. But he loves the poo poo out of those puff thingies, the ones shaped like stars. So I give him a few of those to eat himself, then when he is done, I put one puff on top of a spoonful of whatever, and he happily eats the entire spoonful of food. After three or four of those I'll switch to just the food with no star bit on it, and he'll happily gulp it down. That usually lasts through about half of what I got out for him. Then I just repeat the process from the top again and he'll eat the rest. I feel like I'm tricking him but he doesn't seem to mind.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Emily absolutely refuses to be spoon-fed anything but will happily feed herself, so I've taken to smearing the baby food on crackers or pita bread or toast and she'll eat it then. Thank goodness she likes blueberries or she'd never poop again from her high-carb diet.

Also it seems the more challenging it is to pick up and cram in her mouth the more desirable it is, so peas are a hit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When I gave Arthur peas he held one in his outstretched palm, looked me in the eye, frowned and then crushed it with his hand.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Top teeth and a nipple bite was the threshold for mommy to decide that our first guy was done with breast feeding. He was well established on solids by that point so no big deal. He still got pumped milk for a while after as well.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yes, I don't doubt that the gums are hard enough to "chew" soft-ish food, it's just that she doesn't even try. She mashes the food against her palate, like your kid, Sockmuppet.
She's going on 14 months now, I just thought she'd get the hang of it soon. I guess she'll learn eventually. :)

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

Slip Slap posted:

This couldn't be more true. My boy was 3 months old when Sandyhook happened and I sobbed the entire day. I've never been happy to hear about school shootings but goddamn is it different when you've had a child. All those "prayers for Caleb, he has leukemia" type posts on facebook, forget about it. I have to block those immediately. Goes right through my heart.

I used to be a lot more mocking and sarcastic pre-baby but now every person I come into contact with, all I can think is this person is someone's child, and those parents spent countless nights hoping life would be kind to him.

Oh, hell yes. Same here. Locally, we had a daycare fire tragedy that resulted in several deaths (caretaker decided to take a trip to Target and left stove on and a bunch of toddlers and babies confined to cribs). When the story broke, I couldn't stop crying. It was so hard to take my child to daycare that week.

Unrelated: My child is going to have to go to college in state, because, clearly, he is never going to be for real potty-trained. He turns four in May. WHAT THE WHAT, YO.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
My oldest was five before he was really [poop] accident proof. It's okay; it's normal. ;) Irritating, but normal.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Heck, even my eight year old wet herself the other day. She thought she could hold it while she played just a little bit longer. :rolleyes: Luckily it was during the nice weather so she was outside, so cleanup was basically "jump in the bath and put your clothes in the washer". But still. Eight.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Marchegiana posted:

Heck, even my eight year old wet herself the other day. She thought she could hold it while she played just a little bit longer. :rolleyes: Luckily it was during the nice weather so she was outside, so cleanup was basically "jump in the bath and put your clothes in the washer". But still. Eight.

Last year, our eldest (at the time, seven) relieved himself in the corner of his room a couple times during the night because the hallway was dark and he thought Slenderman was going to get him.

So, thanks a loving lot, goons.

I guess there's a Slenderman-esque enemy in Minecraft, and K1 went poking around YouTube to find out more. It was somewhat embarrassing to not only have to explain to my wife how I knew what Slenderman was, but that it is the same reason I laugh out loud any time the news or TV shows mention Bitcoin.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Yeah, my 4-yr-old, who is otherwise really good about nighttime pee breaks, regressed a bit while we were on vacation. He wouldn't admit to anything but I suspect he was nervous about getting up in the hotel room in the dark. It just happens. Don't sweat it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

bitter almond posted:

Oh, hell yes. Same here. Locally, we had a daycare fire tragedy that resulted in several deaths (caretaker decided to take a trip to Target and left stove on and a bunch of toddlers and babies confined to cribs). When the story broke, I couldn't stop crying. It was so hard to take my child to daycare that week.

There was only one adult and they left a bunch of babies alone??? How loving tragically avoidable. :(

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

fork bomb posted:

There was only one adult and they left a bunch of babies alone??? How loving tragically avoidable. :(

Criminally negligent more like.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

fork bomb posted:

Yeah. If you're curious, google "Jessica Tata." She fled the country to avoid arrest. I know there are good in-home daycare providers, but I am a lot more comfortable with my son at a facility with more oversight.

Re: potty training--

What's really bugging me about my kiddo is that he is 90% potty-trained at daycare. At home, he refuses to even try. One day, I had him go mostly bare-assed in the house so I could keep an eye on him. I went to get a glass of water, and came back to him having SHAT ON THE FLOOR.

One day I had what I now refer to as the "Triple Baptism Event." He peed himself and the dining room chair. It went everywhere and he ran away from me with pee-soaked socks leaving a pee-pee trail of footprints. I finally stripped him down and got him into half his pajamas when I dropped the bottoms into the pee puddle and had to retrieve new ones from upstairs. Then he shat himself. As I was trying to clean that up and get the pee trail handled, he ate a banana. Only, he gagged on one of the banana strings from the peel and then vomited in the corner.

That was quite a night.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bitter almond posted:

One day I had what I now refer to as the "Triple Baptism Event." He peed himself and the dining room chair. It went everywhere and he ran away from me with pee-soaked socks leaving a pee-pee trail of footprints. I finally stripped him down and got him into half his pajamas when I dropped the bottoms into the pee puddle and had to retrieve new ones from upstairs. Then he shat himself. As I was trying to clean that up and get the pee trail handled, he ate a banana. Only, he gagged on one of the banana strings from the peel and then vomited in the corner.

That was quite a night.

Had you recorded the event, you could have sold the recording to high school health classes and been directly responsible for a precipitous drop in teenage/unplanned pregnancy.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Had you recorded the event, you could have sold the recording to high school health classes and been directly responsible for a precipitous drop in teenage/unplanned pregnancy.

I sometimes want to have a permanent camera somehow following my guys around. They do some really hilarious stuff.

Other times not so much. Today included a screaming tantrum from the 4yo which resulted in a nice piggy bank and a ukulele we picked up in Hawaii getting banged up.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have any thoughts on how to baby-proof a staircase with a round bannister? We're moving to an older home with a very wide, ornate staircase. We'll need gates for both the top and the bottom. I've googled a bunch and seen some solutions, but nothing that looks super secure. We're not adverse to drilling into the wall, but I don't think we want to drill into the woodwork on the staircase.

Here's an example of what it looks like: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/1618549839531385/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
They make attachments that go around the banister instead of drilling into it, like this one: https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/Regalo-reg-2-in-1-Extra-Tall-Top-of-Stairs-Gate/1018772868?categoryId=32092

Puddums
Jul 3, 2013

greatn posted:

I wish my kid would pop out his upper teeth because I think he has reached the stage where he does need meat(9 months in two days), but there is no way for him to chew it with just his two front bottom teeth.

chew it up a bit for him first, with your own mouth! baby birdie!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

newts posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how to baby-proof a staircase with a round bannister? We're moving to an older home with a very wide, ornate staircase. We'll need gates for both the top and the bottom. I've googled a bunch and seen some solutions, but nothing that looks super secure. We're not adverse to drilling into the wall, but I don't think we want to drill into the woodwork on the staircase.

Here's an example of what it looks like: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/1618549839531385/

You're looking for something like this superyard. This can be configured as a free-standing play yard or hardware mounted to the walls to curve around the stairway entrance: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Arched-Bronze/dp/B00ALOT5AG/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SSQ3RR0D7X6WKJTVV2S
Or look for hearth or fireplace gates, they're all very similar to the one I linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have this one at the top of our stairs and it works great. Its on one round banister on one side and the wall on the other.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22767536&cp=2255956.2273442.2850038.23088636.18816696&parentPage=family