Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

So it's been probably 10 years since I last played EQ1. I got an email about this heroic stuff just for subbing, can you create a heroic character on a PvP server (think it's just Zek these days?) or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midnight City posted:

Fuuuuck do I even want to know what grounds entrance is going to be like with double xp going?

Of course I would be visiting family this weekend!

Of course I love my brother's family more than a computer game, so I am not too broken to care.

Also, are there any breakdowns for noobie SKs as to spells and disciplines to be using at 85? I legit played him up to 31, but upgraded him instead of my "main" rogue because lvling him is more fun. I did, however, use the SK to kill the Fabled Ghoul Assassin and my rogue looted the fabled Serrated Bone Dirk and the DE illusion mask. I didn't even cast spells on him, something proc'd a couple of 4000+dmg attacks and he died pretty quick after that. Dagger was a legit upgrade, too, and has gone off with the snare on literally every mob I have fought since looting it :-)!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xesis posted:

So it's been probably 10 years since I last played EQ1. I got an email about this heroic stuff just for subbing, can you create a heroic character on a PvP server (think it's just Zek these days?) or no?

You can. And I imagine your experience will be quite terrible, EQ pvp threw away attempts at balance long ago, have fun being rounded.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I can't imagine a worse thing than a fresh 85 newbie rolling onto Zek. The type of person who still really really enjoys pvp in EQ I imagine either has stockholm syndrome, nostalgia goggles so tinted they see bright pink everywhere or a lunatic.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Devor posted:

Well to be fair that was just from stories in this thread of the leader rage quitting when something didn't happen.

Ffalin's not the leader, he's just our friend and a good warrior. I don't blame him for being pissed because the majority of our guild is too lazy to run to the next raid zone, so we spend 30 minutes sitting there waiting unable to make a banner at all. Our actual leader is an alcoholic who once said "Hey I'm gonna check the mail real quick while I wait on you guys to get into zone" and disappeared for 4 hours because he was so drunk he passed out in his own front lawn.

If you want to actually win lots of raids in a 15 year old game, Test is not the raid server for you. If you like not giving a poo poo and having fun bitching because you're one of 7 non-incompetent people, the Test guild is PERFECT. It's all about what you want out of your EQ time.

Devor posted:

So test raids are like a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters. Except the monkeys die in funny ways on Twitch streams.

Not true. Most of our members actively do stupider poo poo than if they'd been replaced by monkeys.

Node posted:

I wish I got the joke :saddowns:.

Way way back upon inception of the goon guild that later rose to infamy, there was like 10 of us goons who already knew one another from previous dicking around times. Off the top of my head, there was me, Beorce, Flarestar, Brumans, Shnaggle, Zliz (Pilsner, thread OP), Usli, Landric, and a couple more I'm forgetting. We decided to come back and play on Luclin. Luclin at the time had one of those massive spam-constantly, invite-everyone rear end in a top hat guilds called Ascending Angels. We hated them and thusly named the goon guild <Ascending Fearboners>. We started having a whole shitload of fun and the guild got REALLY big, then we of course were goons.

Much hilarity later, Ascending Angels harbored a deepseated hatred for goons and flooded GMs with so many petitions we were forced to change the name even though we violated absolutely no naming policy rules. That's when the goon guild became <Ominous Latin Words>. More funny poo poo happened later, but the reason that post was funny is because he joined the very guild that so hates goons :v: The last 75 or so pages from the previous EQ thread in the archives is a loving hilarious timestamp of all this crazy poo poo happening.

Seriously don't think an MMO can ever be as much fun as that period for goons was. Sometime I'll retell the Ryantear story (unless someone else feels like typing it out first) because it's so beyond insane that it hit the point of "You just can't make that poo poo up". The Butt Doctor will forever remain only in our hearts because I couldn't do that story justice if I tried for weeks. I'm also not sure where to even begin the story of the goon splinter of hate that spawned a hate guild named after me. A couple of em still play on FV, which is pretty fitting for them :smugdog:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 15, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I do want to hear the Ryantear story and I wish I could hear the Butt Doctor story because just the name on its own makes me want to know everything about it. Feel free to type it up at you leisure.

God drat Butt Doctor.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

qxx posted:

And like half the duration. I've asked some devs to extend the duration of the click to at least match Grim Aura's. The answer was no. The short duration drives me nuts and 20 ATK may very well be parseless but I can't-stop-clicking it :f5h::shepicide:

At least that means the earring clicky matches Banshee Aura :downs:

That reminds me, did they remove random premature appearance from invis spells? It used to be when I was traveling with my pre-nerf CoS I'd constantly have to watch for the red 'you feel yourself starting to appear', now it seems the spell lasts the full duration every time. Or am I just getting really lucky? Same with my mage's self-invis.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 15, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Psykmoe posted:

At least that means the earring clicky matches Banshee Aura :downs:

That reminds me, did they remove random premature appearance from invis spells? It used to be when I was traveling with my pre-nerf CoS I'd constantly have to watch for the red 'you feel yourself starting to appear', now it seems the spell lasts the full duration every time. Or am I just getting really lucky? Same with my mage's self-invis.

I get it with my fabled incarnadine BP. I also get it during OMM missions.

Which, by the way Illa, I know you love doing, and you're more than welcome to join in on the fun. I need 5 days more to get the stick. You actually don't need to, Corlen and I are boxing it just fine.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xesis posted:

If you really want to PvP in EQ, start your heroic character on another server. Transfers TO zek are free, transfers FROM zek cost the normal amount.

You tell serverwide.:1, 'are there many heroic newbies to slaughter on zek?'
Zek.tells serverwide.:1, 'omg'
Zek.tells serverwide.:1, 'it was non-stop spam yesterday'
Zek.tells serverwide.:1, 'Waffer killed everything that popped in f2 =P'
Zek.tells serverwide.:1, 'I mean, I could give them a hand, but you can't just make a hc'
Zek.tells serverwide.:1, 'have to make the toon move it to some other spot'

EDIT: HAHAHAHA http://www.pandemonium.cc/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25558 look at this poo poo.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

I do want to hear the Ryantear story and I wish I could hear the Butt Doctor story because just the name on its own makes me want to know everything about it. Feel free to type it up at you leisure.

God drat Butt Doctor.

Gnonotmybutt was the premiere troll. No other troll in the history of the internet can measure up to The Butt Doctor. I wouldn't even screenshot it, because nobody who wasn't there can ever know just how amazing it was. He got the entire server up in arms against one another every time he spoke. This wasn't WoW-esque basic trolling designed to trivially get people arguing, it was all brilliant. I can't hope to recapture the magic now.

I'll seriously type up Ryantear in parts later, because it really is hilarious and it's the kind of hilarious that goes well in a thread

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Uhhh yeah, what merc gear should I be giving my healer merc? It's max AA and I have about 15,000 marks of valor if it matters.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

MrTheDevious posted:

Gnonotmybutt was the premiere troll. No other troll in the history of the internet can measure up to The Butt Doctor. I wouldn't even screenshot it, because nobody who wasn't there can ever know just how amazing it was. He got the entire server up in arms against one another every time he spoke. This wasn't WoW-esque basic trolling designed to trivially get people arguing, it was all brilliant. I can't hope to recapture the magic now.

I'll seriously type up Ryantear in parts later, because it really is hilarious and it's the kind of hilarious that goes well in a thread

I couldn't find Butt Doctor screenshots. But, like Kodaji says, it's really, really hard to put it into words. This was trolling beyond any level of goon rush trolling I've ever seen in an MMO. This dude was just pure amazing :allears:

And I believe he did it without ever, ever using a curse word too.

I remember Fearboners :3: I was zapzan the mage and jhelora the ranger :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Midnight City posted:

Uhhh yeah, what merc gear should I be giving my healer merc? It's max AA and I have about 15,000 marks of valor if it matters.

The gear is so miniscule is doesn't matter. Some people do heal amount, some do hit points, some do AC. I have heal amount but it is so small, I think I'll switch to AC because the AC amount is a little better.

I was looking foward to merc gear for CotF, thinking it'd be like gearing up your hireling in Diablo 2, but not making them too overpowered. Instead its just totally useless.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Doh. Guess I'll go AC too since the mana gained looks like it'd just be one more heal.

Do you know any tricks to farming faction for the anguish chest? Last time I did it was on my necro a long rear end time ago and it was terrible, thinking just training all of Causeway repeatedly would make it not completely terrible.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Midnight City posted:

Doh. Guess I'll go AC too since the mana gained looks like it'd just be one more heal.

Do you know any tricks to farming faction for the anguish chest? Last time I did it was on my necro a long rear end time ago and it was terrible, thinking just training all of Causeway repeatedly would make it not completely terrible.

I don't know the best way. I just swarmed the Ruined City of Dranik a billion loving times. The mob density there is high. I've heard Anguish kills get you nice faction, but you obviously get the lockout for it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The Butt Doctor was great at what he did. Most of the time I would become unproductive with whatever I was working on, simply while watching him riff in general chat.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

I don't know the best way. I just swarmed the Ruined City of Dranik a billion loving times. The mob density there is high. I've heard Anguish kills get you nice faction, but you obviously get the lockout for it.

That's the best way. I hit Anguish weekly for like 6 weeks and it'd barely dented the faction grind. Load up all your pet explosion spells on necro, grab a massive swarm, feign it onto your pet, then blow em up and repeat. You can make a huge circle around the whole zone and by the time you're back to the start, everything's respawned. It's boring but definitely the fastest way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

That's the best way. I hit Anguish weekly for like 6 weeks and it'd barely dented the faction grind. Load up all your pet explosion spells on necro, grab a massive swarm, feign it onto your pet, then blow em up and repeat. You can make a huge circle around the whole zone and by the time you're back to the start, everything's respawned. It's boring but definitely the fastest way.

I was about to add to my post, if you're a necro, your Anguish BP is still very relevant too - and you just mentioned you were a necro in Anguish. So if anyone is planning on making a heroic necro you'd definitely want to put a Jayruk's Vest from Anguish high on your list of clickies to get too while you're getting your orb.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 15, 2014

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Obviously it varies by class but what sort of group makeup/gear/aa would really be required to get orbs for 2.0 epics these days? Could a couple heroic characters do it? I did AoA once when it was relevant and haven't been back since but my bard is approaching the end of the 1.5.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

suuma posted:

Obviously it varies by class but what sort of group makeup/gear/aa would really be required to get orbs for 2.0 epics these days? Could a couple heroic characters do it? I did AoA once when it was relevant and haven't been back since but my bard is approaching the end of the 1.5.

I don't know much about this since I've only done it solo at level 95 and 100, and the jump from 85 to 95 is enormous - especially when you just have heroic gear. Um... I think it would be very difficult? I'd definitely aim just for the orb from Jevlan if you try. Hanvar's regen and OMM's everything would probably be too much.

Someone that has done it at lower levels should answer this, they'd know better than I would.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'd say melee could do it around 90 with some close calls/self-healing. Stuff in there is still stupidly resistant so you might have fits if you're relying on magic damage to win. If you're after an orb you PROBABLY won't have any issues with some healing but Hanvar might outslug you since you can't burn him (his hp 'locks' at points and adds come, annoying). OMM hits like a goddamn truck and will give you fits so I'd avoid him. poo poo, at 100 if you're careless he could still hurt you.

Like node said, if you're just after an orb up to Jelvan should be fine (balance damage on the dudes or else things could get potentially ugly) but if you're one of the poor suckers where your BP clicky is still good wait on OMM or grab some friends.

EDIT: also of note on OMM is the overhaste clicky if you can't find someone to copy you an ACOF and/or are not on test. I believe it's still the best self-buff for overhaste and probably the simplest that isn't 'pay a small fortune for an ACOF'.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 16, 2014

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Stanos posted:

EDIT: also of note on OMM is the overhaste clicky if you can't find someone to copy you an ACOF and/or are not on test. I believe it's still the best self-buff for overhaste and probably the simplest that isn't 'pay a small fortune for an ACOF'.

It is the best non-ACOF, non-serious-raid overhaste clicky (10% v3), but since you can buy an 8% v3 off the Karana vendors now, it's probably not worth trying to farm.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

I was about to add to my post, if you're a necro, your Anguish BP is still very relevant too - and you just mentioned you were a necro in Anguish. So if anyone is planning on making a heroic necro you'd definitely want to put a Jayruk's Vest from Anguish high on your list of clickies to get too while you're getting your orb.

This. A thousand times over. Necro BP is barely less-required than SK epic. If you're a necro without it, you're playing the class wrong. The first time you click it, you'll understand.

Personal experience: You can do everything up to OMM comfortably with an 85 SK and 85 Shaman. You can solo the zone at 90 on an SK. KTH and Jelvan are enough to get you an orb if you just need epic and that's pretty doable for any legit duo that doesn't depend on mercs. AMV is pretty braindead easy if you have a class to cure the DT dot, so that's easy to farm until he drops a vest if you can't handle OMM.

If you have a bunch of time on your hands and can't quite handle Jelvan due to that event's damage output, you can spend a solid 4 hours doing Ture/Hanvar instead by just ignoring KTH/Jelvan. Ture and Hanvar do absolute piss damage, but Hanvar takes a loving eternity to kill if your DPS is low

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Decided to level up a monk to go with the pally, what's the deal with the monk 1.0? I remember it required a poo poo load of stuff but you could skip a lot of it by killing some guys and looting crap from them? Is talking to Cazic in Fear still required? Also what's the robe called with the instant cast nullify magic thing for pulling?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You can kill Brother Qwinn (in Eastern? Karana) or Brother Zephyl (in Rathe Mountains) and skip having to camp Raster and Targin, as they drop Robe of the Lost Circle. You still have to camp Karnors & Chardok pipes as far as I know, after that its pretty much just fights.

e: not sure you ever had to talk to Cazic? I could be remembering wrong.

e2: It's probably much faster to just do the 1.5 prequest - I camped the Chardok pipe on and off for a week recently and never saw it.

suuma fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 16, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Talking to Cazic was for a totally different monk quest for a h2h weapon called Whistling Fists. It's not related to epic in any way aside from having the same clicky as the Robe of the Whistling Fists required by the epic. Fastest way to do monk 1.0 is to kill Brother Zephyl in Rathe Mountains for the robe, then farm pipes in KC/Chardok and finish the rest of it. The camps are still awful and I heartily encourage skipping monk 1.0 unless you just want to do it to say you did it.

The dispel monk clicky is the same Anguish robe we've already been talking about above for necros, it's just the monk version. That said, it is NOT instant click, it's like 0.8 or something and IMO not even remotely worth the time required. You can get one if you want just so you look like a legit monk, but you'll never, ever use it. I got mine years ago and used shuriken from PoTime instead anyway because gently caress that cast time. If you want to diehard farm something for the monk, farm OMM for the 10% overhaste if you can't get AM3 from Tower or somewhere. Neither the Anguish robe nor the epic 1.0 are functionally useful at 100 outside of very rare edge cases

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Aww yeah took 12 minutes to get Brother Z to spawn with the robe :hellyeah:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I remember thinking 'cool this won't take long' when I got Bro Z in about 2 hours.

Then I spent 24 hours off and on at the chardok pipe.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ha I did it back when Kunark was released. My guild raided bro Z for me :kiddo:

Then my friend lucked into the Chardok pipe while grinding there. I was super pumped and moved into KC for that pipe Friday after school. It finally spawned Sunday morning at 11am :suicide:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stanos posted:

I remember thinking 'cool this won't take long' when I got Bro Z in about 2 hours.

Then I spent 24 hours off and on at the chardok pipe.

Speaking of camping for epics, does anyone have a map of the "new" Plane of Hate? Preferably with the location of the rogues' book for their epic? I have everything but the Kedge robe and the book, and I have a 98 war willing to kill the General for me, so the weapon would be great at level 51 with the haste and numbers on the thing :-).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You sissies, do Monk epic the real way!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=31831&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post424191787

MrTheDevious posted:

Talking to Cazic was for a totally different monk quest for a h2h weapon called Whistling Fists. It's not related to epic in any way aside from having the same clicky as the Robe of the Whistling Fists required by the epic. Fastest way to do monk 1.0 is to kill Brother Zephyl in Rathe Mountains for the robe, then farm pipes in KC/Chardok and finish the rest of it. The camps are still awful and I heartily encourage skipping monk 1.0 unless you just want to do it to say you did it.

The dispel monk clicky is the same Anguish robe we've already been talking about above for necros, it's just the monk version. That said, it is NOT instant click, it's like 0.8 or something and IMO not even remotely worth the time required. You can get one if you want just so you look like a legit monk, but you'll never, ever use it. I got mine years ago and used shuriken from PoTime instead anyway because gently caress that cast time. If you want to diehard farm something for the monk, farm OMM for the 10% overhaste if you can't get AM3 from Tower or somewhere. Neither the Anguish robe nor the epic 1.0 are functionally useful at 100 outside of very rare edge cases
What's that "shuriken from PoTime"?

By the way Monks, all pulling items kinda go obsolete once you hit level 95 and can get the Distant Strike AA. Huge range, instant-cast, short cooldown.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

You sissies, do Monk epic the real way!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=31831&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post424191787

What's that "shuriken from PoTime"?

By the way Monks, all pulling items kinda go obsolete once you hit level 95 and can get the Distant Strike AA. Huge range, instant-cast, short cooldown.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=24029 notable because for a LONGASS time, it was the only way to get 250 range on a monk throwing weapon outside of tediously blacksmithing javelins one by one. Also, the stats were amazing for the time period.

Also, yeah Distant Strike eliminates any need for pulling items, but we had to use what we had back in the day :colbert:

The new PoHate map is included with pretty much every map pack around, just download one and you'll have it.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 16, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

I use my robe all the time for dispelling mobs as I bring them into camp.

Are the 14th anniversary tasks not active yet? I can't find the Sheriff in Steamfont.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

So AC/Hdex for monks too? I'm having some swear by Hstr but I think they're confusing practicality with slight DPS upgrade?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Midnight City posted:

So AC/Hdex for monks too? I'm having some swear by Hstr but I think they're confusing practicality with slight DPS upgrade?

Hstr is garbage.

(Hstr/10) * avg number of non-magic hits per a second = Hstr dps increase

Winds up being some lovely number like 150dps, or 480 in burns.

Edit: and most of that comes from the base Hstr amount, not the 100-150 you get from specializing in Hstr via augs and gear. The same amount of Hex increases Riposte by 4% and crit rate by ~1%. And those crits are more of a dps boost than the Hstr increase.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 16, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The hour is approaching Illa and I'm scared.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a goon chat channel on test? I think I'm going to create an SK and try out this swarming business.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A couple of us hang out in the serverwide channel in the OP.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Serverwide is the only place goons ever hang out, and there's a pretty steady 4-6 people in it normally.

PS swarming goes from awesome to miserable within about 3 days, good luck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I've hit a wall, I'm tired of the SK but no new class is sticking due to not coming close to his gear and seeing those sweet, sweet VoD infused crits with a 386 dmg weapon makes a monk feel second class even if I know he's doing more actual DPS.

I'm doomed to playing a caster at this rate.