Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Live: Last satellite signal from MH370 'may have been sent while missing jet was on the GROUND'

That's the headline at the Mirror, but I have no idea why.

EDIT: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-live-3248148

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

PleasureKevin posted:

Link, please. I fired up dailymirror.co.uk and only found "Ex-Hollyoaks actress shows off her ripped body on beach". I mean it's good.

edit: ah man it's right next to it. the power of boobs.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

PleasureKevin posted:

More fine reporting from the national enquirer mirror.

"Here's a sensational headline and a picture with no story. Draw your own conclusions."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Reddit also "found" the Boston bomber five times in some random crowd shots.

Edit: to clarify, five different dudes who had no connection whatsoever to the bombings.

Yeah, but they did bring to light the terrorist aspirations of Sunil Tripathi and caused him to kill himself before he could hurt others.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

A few days ago the idea that the plane didn't crash between Vietnam and Malaysia was crazy. But that turned out to be true. And so it follows that any of the theories that sound crazy today, must also turn out to be true.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

PleasureKevin posted:

A few days ago the idea that the plane didn't crash between Vietnam and Malaysia was crazy. But that turned out to be true. And so it follows that any of the theories that sound crazy today, must also turn out to be true.

You're having a conversation with yourself. Nothing sounds crazy, it is that clicking the mirror link literally does not take you to the story.

hofnar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 16, 2014

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Dusseldorf posted:

Yeah, but they did bring to light the terrorist aspirations of Sunil Tripathi and caused him to kill himself before he could hurt others.

he had already been dead before the bombing; reddit just made his family hope he was still alive.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
CNN.com's breaking news story is "Where is flight 370?"

I don't know guys, I don't know.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

omgmofohomolol posted:

he had already been dead before the bombing; reddit just made his family hope he was still alive.

They seemed to think he was alive at that point. They had all these kind of eerie videos made out to him where they were all smiling and asking him to come home. They would like buy him stuff and show it in the videos. It had a weird vibe to it, to me.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

CNN.com's breaking news story is "Where is flight 370?"

I don't know guys, I don't know.
Breaking news: no one has a loving clue

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbee0QWKqEY

God dammit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2WSz1u7I8

Sperglords let you know all about the search.

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
This stupid lady on CNN doesn't understand how big the ocean is.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

nnnotime posted:

:stare: But what if instead it's raw Chinese person he's holding in the bowl?

Then it's "long pig" so it still counts

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

This is the pic Reddit is talking about :

For that to be the plane, it would have to be floating fairly high in the ocean with its fuselage and tail intact. Unless the plane hit the water at 1 knot or something, the plane isn't going to be intact.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

For that to be the plane, it would have to be floating fairly high in the ocean with its fuselage and tail intact. Unless the plane hit the water at 1 knot or something, the plane isn't going to be intact.

lol what are the flotation cushions for if not to keep an entire intact fuselage 3 feet below the surface of the ocean

loving redditors

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

About 8 hours ago the police in Malaysia said it's official a terrorist act. But the vibe I think many people are getting is that they are trying to implicate the political opposition. They already jailed Anwar for homosexuality, why not a missing plane too?

If it's not obvious, the top right image there has another plane photo superimposed on it. Without that, it's just a bright spot in the water, and there's one like it on just about every plot on that site.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Roargasm posted:

Lots of people are starting to ask questions about Diego Garcia, which is a theory that popped up in this thread within a couple days :o: If the US military has radar of practically the whole Indian Ocean (which I assume you would want if you're hosting a secret Naval base there), why aren't they sharing it or even talking about it?

One thing this whole saga is teaching people is that radar isn't actually as efficient as we think it is. It only has an effective range of about 200 miles in every direction, and that's assuming good weather conditions. Since there are no radar stations at sea that effectively means that when a plane flies over the Pacific, Atlantic or Indian Oceans there are large black spots where the aircraft simply can not be picked up by radar. They obviously do ping satellites to let them know they're still there but ultimately a plane can fly several thousand miles and if it doesn't want to be found then it won't be. If you've flown over the Pacific then chances are you've been in a plane where nobody knows where you are except the pilot. That's a little bit scary, but that is how it works.

People are also giving foreign governments and millitarys a bit too much credit when it comes to scanning airspace. This idea that there is always someone sitting at a radar desk waiting for a SECRET ATTACK (from who?!) is a myth which comes from the movies. If there is a secret attack then the chances of being able to intercept it are slight if anything. The reason countries which operate a "Blue Water Fleet" (i.e. naval ships which can go anywhere at anytime, like the US or the UK) do so is so they have capability to react after they have been attacked, not to prevent an attack. This sudden revelation that the Malaysian Air Force haven't been tracking the 1000+ civilian aircraft which enter its airspace just incase they turn out to be a millitary threat isn't a revelation at all.

On a side note it is slightly laughable that American journalists seem to be trying to take the high ground on this one. Post-9/11 American security procedures have been almost up to a first world standard but before then they had the reputation as being lax and completely (and I mean totally) incompetent. Someone even posted earlier about a spate of American aircraft hijackings and in one case the pilot even asked the passengers if anyone was carrying a gun. And someone loving was.

In answer to your question (and I wasn't having a go at you with my earlier spiel): the US base at Diego Garcia want you to think they have radar over the entire Indian Ocean but they don't. And they won't release their radar data precisely because their rivals (China/Russia/etc) will find out the base is useless, and also because American taxpayers might start asking questions as to why they're spending a billion dollars a year on something which is doing absolutely nothing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I kind of wish reddit had been inclined to search these images without the pretext of a plane going down.

"Ronald McDonalds first secret play area? *bouncy pit with net?*"
"NSA FEMA camp complete with undersea detention area/portholes?!"

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

actual picture

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zeike posted:

actual picture

fuckin lol

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
Zoom, enhance

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

none of this is true, and the plane was flown into iran to be converted for war.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That does look like tons of debris on the upper right though.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

That does look like tons of debris on the upper right though.

It looks like someone went over it with a sharpening brush.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The thing that gets me, is that it has been postulated that the plane was diverted and flown somewhere "for future use".

The gently caress are you gonna do with a known, stolen passenger liner, somewhere over the entirety of Eurasia? Where would you house it? How could you fly it anywhere and avoid radar/satellite?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Big Beef City posted:

The thing that gets me, is that it has been postulated that the plane was diverted and flown somewhere "for future use".

The gently caress are you gonna do with a known, stolen passenger liner, somewhere over the entirety of Eurasia? Where would you house it? How could you fly it anywhere and avoid radar/satellite?

Airplane themed restaurant.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

With the captain making his special pork dish.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Big Beef City posted:

You could hide it in a hangar; a big one that is also at an abandoned airfield might be hard to come across, but camo netting could obscure it from the air. Then when you fly it out you use a transponder code for a known flight on your route and hope the confusion lasts long enough to complete your objective.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

The Casualty posted:

You could hide it in a hangar; a big one that is also at an abandoned airfield might be hard to come across, but camo netting could obscure it from the air. Then when you fly it out you use a transponder code for a known flight on your route and hope the confusion lasts long enough to complete your objective.

Can you put this in terms of a Tom Clancy novel? Is this a Red Storm Rising, Debt of Honor, or Bear and Dragon situation? Need we anticipate a Sum of All Fears scenario where we should stock up on champagne in the event that the Baltimore Ravens go down in nuclear fire?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Casualty posted:

Why bother? If they get shot down, they still win.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

angerbeet posted:

Airplane themed restaurant.

It would be a significant upgrade.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Skipjack posted:

Zoom, enhance

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Lote posted:

Can you put this in terms of a Tom Clancy novel? Is this a Red Storm Rising, Debt of Honor, or Bear and Dragon situation? Need we anticipate a Sum of All Fears scenario where we should stock up on champagne in the event that the Baltimore Ravens go down in nuclear fire?

The international guy CNN kept talking to yesterday was named Clancy. First name was David or something, not Tom. They just HAD to use a guy with the last name Clancy.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Zeike posted:

actual picture

How does somebody get something from that

I saw this and thought it was a boat which made me excited cause staring at water for 10 minutes makes you feel dumb, but its just a big wave i think.

Seems it would be impossible to find much on this unless youre trained

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I saw this and thought it was a boat which made me excited cause staring at water for 10 minutes makes you feel dumb, but its just a big wave i think.

I can't imagine it's worth having people look at this thing instead of just running image recognition software to pick out hard angles.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Yeah, just a 20m wide wave amid calm waters in the open ocean.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Yeah, just a 20m wide wave amid calm waters in the open ocean.

literally happens all the time

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

duckmaster posted:

In answer to your question (and I wasn't having a go at you with my earlier spiel): the US base at Diego Garcia want you to think they have radar over the entire Indian Ocean but they don't. And they won't release their radar data precisely because their rivals (China/Russia/etc) will find out the base is useless, and also because American taxpayers might start asking questions as to why they're spending a billion dollars a year on something which is doing absolutely nothing.

Mostly this or it's inverse; the us military isn't going to out super awesome surveillance capabilities over a civilian 777. Or even lame survelliance capabilities when the adversary (or taxpayer) has no clue about their limitations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

the captain said good night to ground control and turned to his co-pilot, "sorry, friend, but this flight is not going to it's scheduled destination. I'm taking over." as the pilot began to turn the plan around, the controls gave out. the faint smell of burning electronics creeped over the two pilots. a device had been programmed to burn through the control wires mid-flight, taking control away from the captain patching it in through a radio control device. a voice came over the headsets, "greetings malaysian pilot men. this is iran. we are taking control over this flight by remote control. it's to do a 9/11 type thing. hahahaha." the pilot began to macguyver the strange electronic radio controls he found beneath the control panel. "hand me that bobble-head on the dash, co-pilot, i will use the spring inside it to--". the co-pilot interrupted, "no. i'm afraid the two of you aren't the only ones with plans for this plane. i'm really suicidal and i'm doing to crash it into the water to die." and with that he lunged for the captains neck, tiger-style. the cabin's door flung open amidst the scuffle. the men who came through wielded seat-belt extensions like nun-chuks, "hello irish. i'm the captain now. we go to america," said one. hardly anyone noticed as two well-tanned women in cowboy hats entered the cockpit behind them, "blow jobs, boys?"

This is good. It just needs those timestamps like the Air France 447 flight to make it look more official. Highlights:

02:07:00 (Bonin) We seem to be at the end of the cloud layer, it might be okay.

02:10:36 (Robert) Descend!

02:10:37 (Bonin) Here we go, we're descending.

02:10:41(Bonin) We're... yeah, we're in a climb.

02:10:55 (Robert) drat it!

02:11:21 (Robert) We still have the engines! What the hell is happening? I don't understand what's happening.

02:11:32 (Bonin) drat it, I don't have control of the plane, I don't have control of the plane at all!

02:11:37 (Robert) Left seat taking control!

02:11:43 (Captain) What the hell are you doing?

02:11:45 (Bonin) We've lost control of the plane!

02:11:47 (Robert) We've totally lost control of the plane. We don't understand at all... We've tried everything.

02:12:14 (Robert) What do you think? What do you think? What should we do?

02:12:15 (Captain) Well, I don't know!

02:13:40 (Robert) Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:42 (Captain) No, no, no... Don't climb... no, no.

02:13:43 (Robert) Descend, then... Give me the controls... Give me the controls!

02:14:23 (Robert) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!

02:14:27 (Captain) Ten degrees of pitch...

(Exactly 1.4 seconds later, the cockpit voice recorder stops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Orange Cat posted:

Mostly this or it's inverse; the us military isn't going to out super awesome surveillance capabilities over a civilian 777. Or even lame survelliance capabilities when the adversary (or taxpayer) has no clue about their limitations.

i'm gonna assume incompetence since the US military hasn't won a war since WWII

• Locked thread