Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
TROOPS! Today we face the enemy. They are stupid. They are whiny. But THEY. ARE. TENACIOUS. I am of course talking about the hated Pubbies.

The requisition officer will give you your weapons. Yes. Those are raw eggs. You will find the enemy, eat those raw eggs like a REAL man (Or woman. Or whatever you're supposed to be), AND FART YOUR WAY INTO THEIR COMPOUND by ANY MEANS NECESSARY! No need to clench, boys and girls. Give it all you got!

Once accomplished, do whatever you can, for death is coming. But fear not! Should you fall to a pubby's lucky shot or the horde you bring, you'll be brought right back for another batch of eggs and a prepared anus! GODSPEED, SOLDIERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
drat, that's an awful lot of changes, Forges are going to be a pain in the rear end to make now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How long do you think until it's close to "finished?"

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

How long do you think until it's close to "finished?"

Probably not for a long while, but if it keeps going like this, I'm quite happy with it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have a feeling that the World Generator system will take them a long time to get down. Minecraft still has issues with how it's generation working, with blocks floating in the air and caves and mines crashing into each other. At least the devs for 7 Days to Die are playing to their strengths and working on the bugs and drip feeding new features.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Skandranon posted:

Another update. This one is big. They fixed a number of the bugs from the previous versions (repair works properly, fixed some duping bugs). They have made the world a bit blockier, so it is easier to mine, but you can still run up hills. However, the biggest change is the 'roaming horde' system. I'm not sure how their size is determined, or if they are attracted to noise or not, but I managed to have 2 find my base in the middle of the woods in 3 days. Mine were 100+, and the only way I was able to deal with them was with pipe bombs and the fact I was on 'Walking Dead' mode. This is going to seriously change how base defense strategies will work, especially at night. I don't think a purely static defense strategy can work against these, some active elements will be required. Sorry I didn't think to take a screen shot. It's also a huge performance hog when they spawn, at least on my machine with 100+ spawning. I could tell they were coming as things slowed down a lot.

Oh, you can also make concrete with stone in place of sand, which is nice.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-7-6-is-out-brother/

Going to update to this and put the goon server back up once it's done downloading.

If people want to designate a constantly active pubbie server to invade, we can do that too. I have no idea which ones are the mainstays of the community however.

Edit: Other notable features include a new segment to the map, food poisoning and buffs via a debuff/buff system, and more recipes like the aforementioned concrete from stone and gravel. Which will make defending from hordes a lot easier since concrete is like a step down from metal.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Going to update to this and put the goon server back up once it's done downloading.

If people want to designate a constantly active pubbie server to invade, we can do that too. I have no idea which ones are the mainstays of the community however.

Edit: Other notable features include a new segment to the map, food poisoning and buffs via a debuff/buff system, and more recipes like the aforementioned concrete from stone and gravel. Which will make defending from hordes a lot easier since concrete is like a step down from metal.

Maybe we can even start playing legit. :smith:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Raw eggs are good, but chili and dog food are were the real gassiness is at. A friend of mine tried to murder me and bury me in a mine yesterday because I kept eating them behind him while he was crafting and the unsavoury sounds were driving him crazy.

edit: Though I don't recall it attracting any zombies, you get serious stinklines from keeping some raw meat on your quick switch bar or inventory though.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 17, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

Raw eggs are good, but chili and dog food are were the real gassiness is at. A friend of mine tried to murder me and bury me in a mine yesterday because I kept eating them behind him while he was crafting and the unsavoury sounds were driving him crazy.

I'm going to have to start playing again.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So as a friendly heads up, I want to ensure that there's no issues with incompatibility between versions. I also want to check out this new (According to the patch notes "huge".) high school area and see if I can turn it into a fortress. So we're moving to a new map. Which means fresh loot for everyone to find.

While i'm setting up the map settings, does anyone have anything neat they want to try? I could try out my idea for a (mostly) eternal night map. Maybe I could set night to dominate 90 percent of a day. Which would be pretty loving horrifying with hordes in now. I bet getting good at stealth would be even more useful with that set of settings. :v:

Edit: Tried my 90 percent night, 10 percent day idea out on a server. It's terrifying. Everything is stuck in this Slender-like early morning atmosphere.

Also, I checked out the high school. Went into a classroom, searched the teacher's desk, and there was a pistol with exactly enough ammo accompanying it for every seat in the class room. :stare:

I then went outside to search a student's locker, and there was a SMG duct taped together in the student's locker. :stonk:

Apparently schools are the new war zone for America in the setting of 7 Days to Die.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 17, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Also, I checked out the high school. Went into a classroom, searched the teacher's desk, and there was a pistol with exactly enough ammo accompanying it for every seat in the class room. :stare:

Jesus. That's some *really* unfortunate implications there. . .

The dark world sounds awesome, maybe it'd be just after the bombs fell, and you're desperately trying to survive while the world goes to hell around you, but the smoke is going to keep everything dark for so very long?

Either way sounds creepy as gently caress and I just wanna see it.

Where is the school anyway? I want to see it too.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

E-Tank posted:

Jesus. That's some *really* unfortunate implications there. . .

The dark world sounds awesome, maybe it'd be just after the bombs fell, and you're desperately trying to survive while the world goes to hell around you, but the smoke is going to keep everything dark for so very long?

Either way sounds creepy as gently caress and I just wanna see it.

Where is the school anyway? I want to see it too.

The school is up in the northwest end of the map. It's a bit buggy still (Some doors need to be broken down.), but it is indeed huge. Think the factory we took down with dynamite during the initial goon rush of the game, only with a swanky interior (With HDTV's! The most important thing for goons.) instead of all run down with explosive objects laying around.

I may be mistaken, but it looks like they also added a new biome to the map in preparation for adding in random map generation. Looking at the map now there appears to be a "transition" biome for each of the previous major biomes. This probably means they're almost ready to put in random map generation.

Edit: Also, the school looks like it could be a legitimate megabase that innately defends against hordes. The first floor of the building is slightly raised off the ground, so it's very hard for zombies to get in due to the height difference. It's like having one of the walls I build at Murderchurch as part of the structure!

The only problem is that it has the typical "mall" problem that shows up in zombie movies. It's so huge that a single person trying to secure it would be doomed to missing something that lead to them being able to break in. But since goons tend to work as a group that isn't as much of a problem.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 17, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I haven't seen the new school yet, but it sounds good and I'd be down for trying to fortify it. The hardest part is developing strategies for those wandering hordes. Since concrete is cheaper now, I'm thinking a reinforced concrete trench/pits where we can gather them up and then toss in pipebombs. If we do it right, we could get them in a small enough space that 1-2 bombs does the trick, and then get tons of free loot.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The new horde mechanic seems to dynamically lure hordes to places of high activity. Tested this with friends, fortified a house and stayed there a few days eating and crafting etc. Soon hordes would begin showing up on a daily basis. We further tested this by hiding on the roof of a nearby building and sure enough, hordes continued to be drawn to our previous base. I really like this system, it means you can avoid huge hordes by living as a wandering hobo, making the early game survivable, and at the same time once you are starting to feel safe and confident the game doesn't start to feel boring anymore as it will specifically target your little paradise.

It also means that with a little timing and encouragement you can really ruin someone's proud hobofort. My personal favorite so far is simply running naked carrying large amounts of raw meat and one breaching device of choice.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

The new horde mechanic seems to dynamically lure hordes to places of high activity.

This is an interesting idea... The question then is, do the hordes possess a smaller version of GPS, or do they just kinda wander by? I'm wondering if then a completely underground bunker would be proof against these hordes, as while the horde might wander around on top, they won't know to dig down unless you alert them.

Of course, allowing 2-3 hordes to pile up will likely crash a server. Which could be fun too.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Quick question, has the ai been improved at all? Back when I played you could eliminate any danger from zombies by simply digging a moat as the dummies wouldn't even attempt to cross it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

TheChad posted:

Quick question, has the ai been improved at all? Back when I played you could eliminate any danger from zombies by simply digging a moat as the dummies wouldn't even attempt to cross it.

according to the latest patch notes, zombies can now navigate through water.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

E-Tank posted:

according to the latest patch notes, zombies can now navigate through water.

They can also run through water and dig through water. Players can dig through water as well now. Moats and trenches can slow zombies down but not stop them. Dry moats are actually more effective at slowing down zombies now (moreso if lined with traps) since it forces the horde to claw their way through the ground on the other side. Concrete dry moats lined with traps are very effective. Nothing is invulnerable, though. Active defense is required to protect an area as any angry monster will eventually smash through any defense if left unchecked for a long enough time.

Edit: As to horde GPS, hordes spawned by the new system definitely seem to exhibit a "GPS" behavior, but *NOT* tracking players themselves. Rather, they are drawn to a location that has been seeing a lot of noise/activity. At least, that has been the results of my testing by hiding silent and inactive across town on the roof of another building and watching my old base get ransacked by hordes that continued to be drawn to the old base.

I am not sure if it is noise concentrated in an area over time that draws them, players staying in one location over time, or items being stored in the area - these are all things that tend to happen to when players build a base. The difference is not really important since any base will probably have all of those elements.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 17, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Carnalfex posted:

They can also run through water and dig through water. Players can dig through water as well now. Moats and trenches can slow zombies down but not stop them. Dry moats are actually more effective at slowing down zombies now (moreso if lined with traps) since it forces the horde to claw their way through the ground on the other side. Concrete dry moats lined with traps are very effective. Nothing is invulnerable, though. Active defense is required to protect an area as any angry monster will eventually smash through any defense if left unchecked for a long enough time.

Edit: As to horde GPS, hordes spawned by the new system definitely seem to exhibit a "GPS" behavior, but *NOT* tracking players themselves. Rather, they are drawn to a location that has been seeing a lot of noise/activity. At least, that has been the results of my testing by hiding silent and inactive across town on the roof of another building and watching my old base get ransacked by hordes that continued to be drawn to the old base.

I am not sure if it is noise concentrated in an area over time that draws them, players staying in one location over time, or items being stored in the area - these are all things that tend to happen to when players build a base. The difference is not really important since any base will probably have all of those elements.

That's interesting, because it raises the possibility of having a "decoy base" which is decently well-fortified and has something noisy in it a short distance from your actual base so that zombies attack it instead of you.

Is there anything that passively generates noise, or would you have to do something like set off TNT in it each night at dusk?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Playing around in singleplayer. The school is kind of inconsistent in how stable it is. Some rooms will completely collapse with little effort. Others won't.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

crabcakes66 posted:

Playing around in singleplayer. The school is kind of inconsistent in how stable it is. Some rooms will completely collapse with little effort. Others won't.

A badly built school in America, the land where we cut corners on education to the point of insanity? How preposterous. :smith:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

President Ark posted:

That's interesting, because it raises the possibility of having a "decoy base" which is decently well-fortified and has something noisy in it a short distance from your actual base so that zombies attack it instead of you.

Is there anything that passively generates noise, or would you have to do something like set off TNT in it each night at dusk?

You don't have to make noise near dusk. The game seems to remember things happening in an area for some time. When I watched my base get destroyed from a safe distance I had not been in there or making noise for at least half a day. That being said, a friend had been using what he lovingly referred to as our dinner bell opening and closing a trash can as fast as he could to make an *absurd* amount of noise in the base. So I think the game remembers events in an area and that information is used for some time after the noises/smells/etc have stopped.

If noise is actually what draws them. It could be players present, or food, or items...

So having a "decoy base" might not be entirely viable (maybe), but having multiple safehouses with supplies spread between them that you move between so that you don't linger too long in one area might work?

This is just conjecture based on what I've witnessed in the game.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

How does the AI react to buildings on stilts? Granted a player will just nuke the thing, but a base with a ladder that gets chopped once you're inside appeals to me aesthetically.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

So having a "decoy base" might not be entirely viable (maybe), but having multiple safehouses with supplies spread between them that you move between so that you don't linger too long in one area might work?

A decoy base won't really work, unless we can get goons to agree to spend time there, or go make a bunch of noise there every other day. What I think we want is a number of redundant bases, with the important parts underground. Each of the outposts can then be abandoned without too much feeling of loss, and the larger network of defense structures (pits, traps, etc) will allow reclaiming space in a structured way. More 'defense in depth' type of thing than a single point of failure.

S.T.C.A. posted:

How does the AI react to buildings on stilts? Granted a player will just nuke the thing, but a base with a ladder that gets chopped once you're inside appeals to me aesthetically.

Last I checked (7.4?), they react quite poorly. I built a small tower out of metal trussing outside of Diersville, and they completely ignored the struts to stand under the middle and grasp at me. This could perhaps be taken advantage of to split their forces, but requires someone to be in the tower that has their attention. And I don't know how this would apply to hordes, which might focus on the pillars if there is no live distraction. We need to think bigger to handle the hordes, sort of like how the Great Wall of China works. We don't care so much if they get past the first wall, but how we can use the structures to eliminate them effectively.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 17, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

S.T.C.A. posted:

Small numbers of monsters can be fooled by elevation with the new stealth system, but larger amounts will get angry and will just begin smashing everything in sight (ie structural supports). I think this is mostly due to pathing - they tend to "enrage" when they can't find a path to their target, and large amounts of monsters in a small area screw up their pathing since they can't walk through each other. Some kinds of monsters seem more prone to vandalism than others, but that is probably just my experience and not actually a game mechanic.

If you are alone and do not draw attention to yourself you can hide up in a treehouse or what have you as long as your supplies hold out now that the stealth system has been redone. You just can't rely on that system to save you if you have drawn the attention of a horde. The only options for dealing with a horde are leaving the area or total and complete :black101: :black101: :black101:

edit: I like the idea skan mentioned, with delaying tactics such as walls and moats to make defense more manageable. Still, it means a basic choice: furtive sneaky hobo life, or a murderfort well supplied with plenty of goons that will fight to survive like jean claude in an 80s kumite.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So is this game fun to play again? Is it entirely ruined by hackers? For how long can I fart continiously until I die of dehydration?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

Still, it means a basic choice: furtive sneaky hobo life, or a murderfort well supplied with plenty of goons that will fight to survive like jean claude in an 80s kumite.

I think one thing for certain is that the horde system will extend the hobo-life a fair bit, until you are able to build something that won't end up being instantly trashed. Perhaps having a house you live in at night, but you travel a significant distance to the build site to do preparations before starting the construction in earnest.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Archonex posted:

Edit: Tried my 90 percent night, 10 percent day idea out on a server. It's terrifying. Everything is stuck in this Slender-like early morning atmosphere.

Can you change this back to normal? I don't like being scared all the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Having never actually played this game: what if you try to dig yourself a zombie cellar to hide in? Can they dig through walls of rock too?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Speedball posted:

Having never actually played this game: what if you try to dig yourself a zombie cellar to hide in? Can they dig through walls of rock too?

Yes, they can smash their fists bloody and eventually take down anything, even 2 foot thick solid steel wall. However, with the stealth system in place, if you dig down far enough, they are unlikely to hear or sense you, so you're pretty safe.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Skandranon posted:

Yes, they can smash their fists bloody and eventually take down anything, even 2 foot thick solid steel wall. However, with the stealth system in place, if you dig down far enough, they are unlikely to hear or sense you, so you're pretty safe.

To be fair it would take weeks of game time for them to do this and you would have to anger them first before they attacked at all. Once daylight hits killing zombies is a cakewalk.

The counterpoint is the new dynamic horde system we're all so excited about. I like it. It ensures the game doesn't get boring.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

To be fair it would take weeks of game time for them to do this and you would have to anger them first before they attacked at all. Once daylight hits killing zombies is a cakewalk.

The counterpoint is the new dynamic horde system we're all so excited about. I like it. It ensures the game doesn't get boring.

Also the instant a tiny crack shows you can use your repair tool and instantly repair it back to full health, basically undoing weeks of work in an instant. Take that you undead fuckers!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
All this noisechat makes me want a boombox item that you can put somewhere which just makes a shitload of noise until its batteries run out or a zombie breaks it. It's both useful defensively (making a diversion) and griefing (throw over the walls of a pubbie's base)!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Just strip naked, throw everything you own in a trashcan except for some raw meat, then eat half of it and run screaming into the lair of your new best friends.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man, does the chat system cause noise? It should! "Shut up!" "NO YOU SHUT UP" "guys stop using caps"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Carnalfex posted:

edit: I like the idea skan mentioned, with delaying tactics such as walls and moats to make defense more manageable. Still, it means a basic choice: furtive sneaky hobo life, or a murderfort well supplied with plenty of goons that will fight to survive like jean claude in an 80s kumite.

Every murderfort is kind of like a cross between a 90's action movie and Sealab 2021.

There's a constant roiling tide of noise surrounding the place from all the explosions going off 24/7, there's two guys on the roof in a lovely watchtower with machine guns in each hand firing 24/7 at the never ending swarms spawning in like they're Rambo, and it inevitably all spontaneously explodes when someone fucks up mining with TNT underneath the thing, leading to half the place collapsing into a mile wide crater of fire and doom.

What i'm saying is that pussies hole up in a forest. Real American heroes find a church with a graveyard, dig up the graves, loot the contents of the coffin, plate that poo poo over with glass like each corpse is Lenin, build a wall and trench, and start terraforming the place in preparation for zombie D-Day. Then they place the outer layer of mines (that usually kill more goons bringing in supplies past the siege than zombies) and buckle the gently caress up for the ride of their soon to be unlife. :black101:

Edit: Also, goons are kind of like the Three Stooges if someone gave them chainsaws* in this game. Any time someone gets mines, they'll place them directly behind a goon so they walk back over it, blowing them up. Usually much giggling or maniacal laughter ensues as the corpse rockets into the air. So add that into the mix between all the gunfire and explosions too.

*This doesn't count the times they actually do get their hands on chainsaws. Which can sometimes be exceptionally bloody.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 18, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I keep poking into the mumble to see if anybody's on. :smith:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

E-Tank posted:

I keep poking into the mumble to see if anybody's on. :smith:

Me too :( I can't seem to connect to the game server though, same IP as in the OP? I also see no server named LLJK Hideout.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 18, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
People seem to come back to the game with major updates and then burn out after a while once they feel safe or the map is picked clean. At least the new horde system will help with the first problem. I'll probably jump back into goon murder fort after the next update. I think archonex previously found a way to incorporate horde mode air supply drops into a regular server, that would help with the map becoming a wasteland to some degree, and give people reasons to leave their forts to get sniped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The server was up for a bit, but still in "30 days of night" mode, which, while nerve wracking, was a little too hard to make progress and ultimately seriously depressing when one can literally make no progress. Maybe that's how real zombie apocalypses go, but that's not the one I'd like to imagine myself in.