Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

That was. Uh. Something.

Cucumber Quest is going in a great direction, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Guys I think that GGDG's copy of paper mario is glitched.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Tendales posted:

Guys I think that GGDG's copy of paper mario is glitched.

The cartridge got tilted. Anything is now possible.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Most people here are assuming that NK and the Oracle are being forced into their roles, but my question would be who (or what) is forcing them in the first place?

Question answered.

Missingno.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looks like the Earthbound text boxes when someone dies in battle. Even has the little * at the start.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Maybe we've had it backwards all along and the Disaster Masters are the player characters.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

:stare: Well then.

Mind you, now I'm wondering if this relates into the Disaster Stone with a "power button" symbol on it...

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

We thought we were reading paper mario but it's actually metal gear solid two.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Magypsy posted:

EDIT: Oh my god, look at the URL at the bottom corner.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In any other situation, I'd be rolling my eyes right now. This is normally a 'twist' that turns out horribly for all involved (see: Guilded Age). But GGDG has given me faith.

Please let it be well-placed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The bits of garbled code are actually HTML, not a programming language. So, I can see two options as to what Gigi is doing:
1. This isn't the "this is all a game!" plot twist (à la Guilded Age) but "this is an online webcomic on the Internet!" plot twist
2. What's the difference between HTML and programming languages, aren't webpages programs? :confused:

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

And to be fair if you include Javascript then HTML basically is a programming language. I wouldn't read too much into the choice of code presented since, to my knowledge, Gigi isn't a programmer.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
My theory is that this is power button-stone master expressing distaste with NK's firmness to the script. Alternatively, Cosmo.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

The Leper Colon V posted:

In any other situation, I'd be rolling my eyes right now. This is normally a 'twist' that turns out horribly for all involved (see: Guilded Age). But GGDG has given me faith.

Please let it be well-placed.

I strongly doubt it's going to be a meta twist. Were it more like Homestuck (my only point of reference to anything ever) and established it's all within a game then you might be onto something but I think it's just the usual style shift that comes with interludes and new chapters. Things will be super stylised for a bit as we set up the next act, clean up this one and then things will be back usual, but slightly different to suit the next DM.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Magypsy posted:

Well that was completely unexpected!

EDIT: Oh my god, look at the URL at the bottom corner.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy Zed posted:

And to be fair if you include Javascript then HTML basically is a programming language. I wouldn't read too much into the choice of code presented since, to my knowledge, Gigi isn't a programmer.

She could be doing what Kazerad did with Prequel and getting somebody else to do the coding stuff.

For example

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 16, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Looks like the Earthbound text boxes when someone dies in battle. Even has the little * at the start.

Earthbound was doing the same thing Dragon Quest did, so it's a widespread standard. The asterisk in place of a name means you don't know the name of the speaker.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

We thought we were reading paper mario but it's actually metal gear solid two.

Nah, it's still Paper Mario.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

She could be doing what Kazerad did with Prequel and getting somebody else to do the coding stuff.

For example

Oh I didn't think anybody was suggesting that the comic would go in some mixed-media-video-game-hybrid direction. I just meant, if I were making a comic and I didn't program and I wanted to express "here is some computery poo poo" I'd probably just use whatever sort of computery poo poo was on hand. The code we're seeing is probably just some of the page mark-up on the cucumber site as it appears in the console of whatever browser Gigi uses.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What's one of the recurring tropes in the Mario RPGs? Bowser is always the bad guy, and everyone just accepts it.

Bowser always sides with Mario to fight an even bigger threat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

IMJack posted:

What's one of the recurring tropes in the Mario RPGs? Bowser is always the bad guy, and everyone just accepts it.

Bowser always sides with Mario to fight an even bigger threat.

Except in the first Paper Mario where he's straight up the last boss.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Heavy Zed posted:

Oh I didn't think anybody was suggesting that the comic would go in some mixed-media-video-game-hybrid direction. I just meant, if I were making a comic and I didn't program and I wanted to express "here is some computery poo poo" I'd probably just use whatever sort of computery poo poo was on hand. The code we're seeing is probably just some of the page mark-up on the cucumber site as it appears in the console of whatever browser Gigi uses.
It's from the page source. You can clearly see a few bits that appear in the HTML of her page:
code:
<h1><a href="http://cucumber.gigidigi.com" rel="home">Cucumber Quest</a></h1>
and
code:
<li id="menu-item-1506" class="menu-item 
and etc.

So yeah I wouldn't really read into what language it is that much. Or it could be intentional and it's supposed to mean that it's someone viewing from a distance in a technological manner, much like the readers are.

edit:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 16, 2014

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Except in the first Paper Mario where he's straight up the last boss.

Or Thousand Year Door where Bowser is just kind of ineffectually running a few steps behind the plot and does nothing of significance.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Heavy Zed posted:

Or Thousand Year Door where Bowser is just kind of ineffectually running a few steps behind the plot and does nothing of significance.

He does fight Mario a couple of times at least! I think he technically counts as the second-to-last boss.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Really? I replayed the game recently and I literally don't remember Bowser ever showing up in a scene with Mario.

My point still stands that it doesn't really match up with "Bowser always joins forces with Mario."

Also now that I think about it isn't he sort of the final boss of Superstar Saga?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Heavy Zed posted:

Really? I replayed the game recently and I literally don't remember Bowser ever showing up in a scene with Mario.

Well I mean he does spend almost the entire game comically failing to catch up to Mario, but in both chapter three and right near the end there's a fight with him kind of out of nowhere.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm betting on "missingno" being a Giygas or Chaos like deity whose existence fucks with reality or it can see beyond thus the breakdown of the forth wall, the "cucumber.cucumber" error and the DQ/Earthbound text window.

I also have the feeling that DO, NK and the Disasters are constructs created to perpetuate a cycle (one Noise was sick of) to prevent "Missingno" from coming into the world and doing as it will and the Cucumber family line is some sort of Chosen of regeneration deal and that in turn explains Cucumber and not the far more willing and able Almond being pushed into the role.

So paper mario 2's Shadow Queen held back by a less malicious version of the schism from Tales of Symphonia.

Both of which are GameCube games.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 16, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Still betting that the villain is an Avatar of G.g. herself.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
It turns out Nightmare Knight is a first guardian and Cucumber Nautilus Peridot and Almond are about to play sburb

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

umalt posted:

Still betting that the villain is an Avatar of G.g. herself.

That's the most terrifying prospect of all, if her twitter is anything to go by.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

That's the most terrifying prospect of all, if her twitter is anything to go by.

An AI whose only mission is to crush all nerds.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

the wildest rear end posted:

And get you to read their webcomic.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

VanSandman posted:

And get you to read their webcomic.

And complain about every new Nintendo 3DS game that comes out.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

the wildest rear end posted:

But Cucumber is a nerd. :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ever wanted to hear CuQue characters curse? Then these hilarious outtakes are for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAK2sChRA_8

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ever wanted to hear CuQue characters curse? Then these hilarious outtakes are for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAK2sChRA_8

Almond going for racial stereotypes is way funnier than it should be.

"Bag-wet-ay"

And then Carrot showed up and :drat: This is ruining CQ for me in the best way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
please don't do a guilded age please don't do a guilded age please don't do a

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I like the lady doing Cordelia. "Ballsack!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The guy doing Carrot is great at his improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
There needs to be a Cucumber Quest animated series just so these people can be the actors in it.

Also, Rabbitsteaparty has a point. I think it's canon that no one's actually sure if Cosmo's a boy, a girl, or what. No one's ever addressed or referred to the little spud with a specific pronoun.