Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Did you save your deck or just let time run out on deck construction? I played like 6 draft tournaments last night and didn't encounter that one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea if you didn't / couldn't save your deck then it just gives you all the cards and that champ - I've only had it happen once to me since Draft came in and once to an opponent when Sealed started, but on the other hand I haven't had a ton of time to play

There's a pretty interesting thread over on the official forums where one of the programmers is asking for crazy / weird bugs, also gives a bit of insight into how / why they are happening

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, spore stalks is an amazing bomb. It makes a copy of it's self at the start of every turn and deals 1 direct damage per each plant troop you have. Every turn afterwards you double the troops you have and damage. Unless your opponent gets rid of it on turn one, or has an extinction or eternal guardian.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

All three of the plant garden troops are pretty good in limited play. It's too slow for constructed, though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

DrManiac posted:

Wow, spore stalks is an amazing bomb. It makes a copy of it's self at the start of every turn and deals 1 direct damage per each plant troop you have. Every turn afterwards you double the troops you have and damage. Unless your opponent gets rid of it on turn one, or has an extinction or eternal guardian.

It would be a good bomb if it weren't turn 6 or 7 minimum.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
It wouldn't let me save my deck. When I clicked the save button it froze my screen with one of those spinning "thought-circles" and didn't let me do anything until the tournament started 20 minutes later.

I assumed it had something to do with that. But it also happened to my two opponents (it wouldn't let me save between matches either), so I figured it was a problem for everyone.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

OBi posted:

I kinda disagree. Mtg has taken a long time to get to the point it's currently at, and it's proven itself to be a pretty clean system for how ridiculously complicated it is. They marketed this game as mtg online but not bad, but they seem pretty eager to tinker with things they might not necessarily fully understand. I really hated when they tried to get rid of the upkeep step and I'm not a fan of this either. I just don't trust them to have the intimate knowledge of the game mechanics required to tinker with the system and have it be an improvement. Not yet, anyway.

E: maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but 'why change what ain't broke' was my gut reaction

They've been playing MTG as long as the people who made MTG have been, just like all of the rest of us. They've also been making card games for a long time, including the WoW TCG, so they know how to tinker with systems without loving things up(such as tinkering in early alpha stages to see what does or doesn't work).

Personally I liked Crush going through flock of seagulls, and I play blue control with exclusively flying creatures so I really, really like my seagulls. Crush going through makes sense: The Guy hits the birds, the birds take one damage, 7 damage goes through to the player with Crush, then the damage is prevented during cleanup. Crush not going through also makes sense: The Guy hits the birds until they die, which never happens, so no damage goes through.

Personally I feel like the earlier option is better, strictly because it means you can have 2 different card types, one that prevents damage but lets crush go through, and one that doesn't, which opens up low-cost cards with the former and higher cost cards with the latter. You should have to play a mesmerize to stop a Crush creature from killing you when you've got Seagulls out, because the seagulls are stopping everything else so you don't even have to bother dropping control on them, but figuring out just how good it is honestly seems fine to me as well.

I think they should be challenging a lot of the old systems to try and come up with more or better ideas, and this is a great time to do it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Vincent Valentine posted:

Personally I feel like the earlier option is better, strictly because it means you can have 2 different card types, one that prevents damage but lets crush go through, and one that doesn't, which opens up low-cost cards with the former and higher cost cards with the latter.

That's really interesting. Hypothetically, Seagulls would prevent 1 damage and you'd take the rest, but the Bird of Plenty (since it costs 6) absorbs all the damage? I like that idea a lot.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Am I the only one that really doesn't like Bird of Plenty? It's 6 mana for a card that doesn't help you win the game and can't even block all the creatures a Flock of Seagulls can (sure, I'll block your 20/20 Ozawa! Oh wait, that decks me). Sure, if you can convince your opponent to attack into it with non-overpowering creatures it's fine, but it's vulnerable to every form of removal except Repel and Mesmerize, even the dinkiest of burn spells.

The vast, vast majority of the time I'd rather just have the Flock. About the only time I can think of where Bird is better is when your opponent has "must attack every turn" creatures that aren't Veteran Gladiators, and against that type of deck if you make it to 6 mana you're probably fine anyway.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Er, you're wrong. It prevents all damage, not just combat damage. It turns burn spells into draw spells. That in itself is worth it for some decks.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also it can attack which is kind of nifty

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Some Numbers posted:

That's really interesting. Hypothetically, Seagulls would prevent 1 damage and you'd take the rest, but the Bird of Plenty (since it costs 6) absorbs all the damage? I like that idea a lot.

That would be the idea, yeah. Bird of Plenty would be an exception because the draw effect on it is loving bonkers, but in theory that's what I meant.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Did my first draft earlier today, ended up with a mono-red aggressive deck. I was feeling pretty decent about it, but lost in three games to a mono-white stall deck in round one, which seemed like a very poor matchup for me. Had to leave after that so I didn't get to see how it would fare against others. All in all, it seems like a fun draft environment. The draft deck builder could use some work, I basically had to remember my cost curve since there isn't a "sort by cost" option, but other than that I enjoyed the draft experience.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
From this update;

quote:

During the draft, it is often useful to sort your cards by cost to see what types of cards you need. Currently the best way to do this is to switch to list view, click the resource cost at the top to cost-sort, then click the large image view on the far right.

Your cards will now be sorted by cost. Obviously this is not the ideal user interface, but it works well enough for testing purposes; we want to make sure you can all try out booster draft while we keep improving the interface.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Thanks, that's a handy workaround to know about.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

drat that's handy to know, I just hope they get the interface to the point that MTGO has for drafting, being able to hide cards is really nice.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm sure they're working on it, they just wanted to get drafts out there. I hope they don't think their interface is complete yet, it needs a lot of work.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just downloaded a new patch, doesn't seem to be any notes out about it yet but the card manager is a LOT faster now

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Grim posted:

Just downloaded a new patch, doesn't seem to be any notes out about it yet but the card manager is a LOT faster now

I just got that patch downloaded and I'm not seeing much of a difference with the deckbuilder.

Or are you just referring to the draft card manager?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I think I might be done until beta. I only really play for drafts/sealed, and having so many people drop out after a bad draft or gently caress off before the end just destroys the experience. I have spent 10x the amount of time waiting to see if I will get to play a match after a bye than I have actually deck building or playing. It just sucks all the fun out of it. I am hoping once people are using finite resources for the matches they will be a little more invested. Waiting will also give CZ some time to get the client in better shape.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

WayAbvPar posted:

I think I might be done until beta. I only really play for drafts/sealed, and having so many people drop out after a bad draft or gently caress off before the end just destroys the experience. I have spent 10x the amount of time waiting to see if I will get to play a match after a bye than I have actually deck building or playing. It just sucks all the fun out of it. I am hoping once people are using finite resources for the matches they will be a little more invested. Waiting will also give CZ some time to get the client in better shape.

I can't blame you tbh. I get in a draft when I feel like slogging though it but i've had to drop because the editor wouldn't save my deck and I know it's frustrating to the other guys. What can you do though? :shrug:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cory updated his Blog again including a sneak peak at a Set 2 card;

I love the flavour text

edit: and the new patch is out including Vampire King (who has been toned down a bit but whatev);

Grim fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 20, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Good god, Jank Bot seems bonkers in limited. It would be hard, but I'm sure it's possible to build a decent 60 sealed deck. Getting to play a 5/6 for 4 along with three other cards is an amazing deal.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I had the most delicious draft recently. I opened up two Wild Root Dancers, and I'm pretty sure I was the only Wild drafter at the table because I managed to get my hands on 3 Howling Braves, 3 Survival of the Fittest, and 3 Honeycaps.

Some Numbers posted:

Good god, Jank Bot seems bonkers in limited. It would be hard, but I'm sure it's possible to build a decent 60 sealed deck. Getting to play a 5/6 for 4 along with three other cards is an amazing deal.

Sure, the card itself is good, but the problem is that you have to water your deck down to be able to play it. Assuming (very optimistically) that an average game gets you about 20 cards down into your deck, you'll only see it 1/3 of the time, and the other 2/3 of the time you're still going to draw probably about 4 of the extra 12-ish non-resource cards you have to add to your deck to meet the requirements, any of which would be one of the better "core" cards had you not decided to go Jank Bot.

I can maybe see it working in a very bland sealed pool with a lot of decent but unexciting cards, but if I had even one other bomb I would not play it.

EDIT: This is just theorycrafting, of course, and it could end up actually being good - but I'd be surprised.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 21, 2014

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yes, the 60 card deck for limited is compensating not just for the lower minimum in limited play, but also the fact that you'll probably only have one of them, and a number of the other cards you put in your deck to make him legal will probably be of dubious quality.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would love to draft or open multiples in Sealed. That would be great.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Jesus Christ can this game release already :negative:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Jesus Christ can this game release already :negative:
While it's a lot more fun than it was 2 months ago, it's nowhere near finished and to push for release sooner rather than later can only hurt the game in the long term. Why do you want it released now out of interest?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LightReaper posted:

While it's a lot more fun than it was 2 months ago, it's nowhere near finished and to push for release sooner rather than later can only hurt the game in the long term. Why do you want it released now out of interest?

Just want to try it since it looks pretty cool, but I can't afford the "late backer" beta access! Missed the KS because I had backed a few things lately, and I still regret it.

I guess an Open Beta would be cool too!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

LightReaper posted:

This a million times. Don't be SolForge.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Just want to try it since it looks pretty cool, but I can't afford the "late backer" beta access! Missed the KS because I had backed a few things lately, and I still regret it.

I guess an Open Beta would be cool too!

If it released right now, you would download it, bug out of a few games and uninstall. This game needs at least another six months in the oven at a minimum.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

If it released right now, you would download it, bug out of a few games and uninstall. This game needs at least another six months in the oven at a minimum.

I need the deck builder to be WAAAAAAAY better. I can't play the game with the deckbuilder as it currently is. It's atrocious.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Blazing Zero posted:

That's a little hyperbolic. While the tournament system still needs work, the general one on one PvP is pretty solid, and I figure since they're wrapping up on Set 1 they can focus on getting Tourney's up and running.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BenRGamer posted:

That's a little hyperbolic. While the tournament system still needs work, the general one on one PvP is pretty solid, and I figure since they're wrapping up on Set 1 they can focus on getting Tourney's up and running.

The new update says that the slacker backer options will stop April 1st. So sounds like they're gonna be going public pretty soon.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tijag posted:

I need the deck builder to be WAAAAAAAY better. I can't play the game with the deckbuilder as it currently is. It's atrocious.

Yeah. I actually haven't played a single game yet, because I can't be arsed to deal with the deckbuilder in its current state.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The new update says that the slacker backer options will stop April 1st. So sounds like they're gonna be going public pretty soon.

Aren't they still in alpha? It would be pretty weird going from alpha to open beta. The game still feels like a year away from being finished to me, unless they are going to put PVE off and just release the player verses player stuff. Even still, the UI needs a complete overhaul as far as I'm concerned. Playing the game feels clunky to me in comparison to MTGO and MTGO isn't a shining example of an online CCG.

I'm going to be butthurt if they release the game 50-75% finished.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
It's... not to open beta? There's a closed beta, then a monetized closed beta, then open beta.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All day today, my log in screen has been covered by some purplish squares that prevent me from actually logging in.

Is this a unique thing? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Selane
May 19, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

All day today, my log in screen has been covered by some purplish squares that prevent me from actually logging in.

Is this a unique thing? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I just checked and mine is the same as normal.

edit: Man, I hope they never change the login screen 'music'. I just can't get enough of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[pause]DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just played my first draft, went 2-0, 2-0 with a :krad: mono ruby aggro deck, and then it ended before the last round, declaring me the victor. I guess that means the other guy dropped out, but I wish the UI was a bit more clear about exactly what happened when.

Are sealed and constructed tournaments currently disabled? When I looked at the tourney UI again, I only saw a Draft queue.

• Locked thread