Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TehGherkin posted:

That's cool, I see the Dominate one more like the guards thinking 'Hey, I'm pretty sure I see a guy skulking over there!' and the vampire looks at him like :smug:, 'Oh. Guess not.', and you stroll right past.

It's like in Order of the Stick where the Rogue with a bunch of points in lying takes a potion that grants a huge bonus to telling lies.

"Intruders!"
"Nope."
"Never mind!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
How long is a full play-through of Vampire: Bloodlines? 30 hours?

I would like an exhaustive breakdown of how the story branches based on the player's decisions. I'm sure one exists, but can anyone recommend one? Text, picture, whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gobbeldygook posted:

How long is a full play-through of Vampire: Bloodlines? 30 hours?

I would like an exhaustive breakdown of how the story branches based on the player's decisions. I'm sure one exists, but can anyone recommend one? Text, picture, whatever.

30 hours sounds about right.

It doesn't really branch, so you don't really need anything like that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pope Guilty posted:

Technically, this is how Obfuscate works. You're not really invisible. You're just emitting a constant psychic broadcast whose contents are "SEE THIS INSTEAD". Which is why it doesn't work on electronic devices, but does work on somebody using an electronic device but within range of the Obfuscate power.

It's literally a SEP field

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There are side quests, but none of them affect the main story. You're always going to go Santa Monica -> Downtown -> Hollywood -> Chinatown, and the only branching is the endgame missions, after you survive the Blood Hunt.

Ddraig posted:

It's literally a SEP field

Pretty much.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

My complete playthrough with doing every quest, getting all the various trinkets, and exploring all the nooks and crannies took me 33 hours and this was with Wesp's patch+.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Just finished this for the first time and I loved every minute of it.I think I'm just going to start a malkavian save right away.
Took me almost exactly 30 hours with all the sidequests, but without exploring everything.

I feel a little bit disappointed by the ending but other than that this well deserved it's spot as one of my favorite games of all time. With all these emails you get throughout the game and Beckett just suddenly going "OH NO DONT OPEN IT" (What's up with that anyways? Did Jack just tell him about his plan?) I expected a pissed off woken up antediluvian. But then again Jack just tricking everyone was a cool twist too

neosloth fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 14, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm pretty sure I myself have asked this in the thread already but who was constantly emailing you? I thought it was the Tremere regent at one point but then Jack but then Cain? I'm pretty sure my Malk was just emailing himself.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 14, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The emails are from Jack, who was the only person who knew what was really going on the whole time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

superstepa posted:

I feel a little bit disappointed by the ending but other than that this well deserved it's spot as one of my favorite games of all time. With all these emails you get throughout the game and Beckett just suddenly going "OH NO DONT OPEN IT" (What's up with that anyways? Did Jack just tell him about his plan?) I expected a pissed off woken up antediluvian. But then again Jack just tricking everyone was a cool twist too

That's a big point of debate even today. Couple I've heard is your theory but also That was Ming-Xiao taking Beckett's appearance to gently caress with you, and also that Beckett is legit freaked out about something that made him think there was more to it than he thought. I'm sure it would have been elaborated on had the game been finished but :sigh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maybe he found out who the cabbie really was. Tee hee.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a goon who used to be part of Troika that we could ask about this?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

double nine posted:

Unless we could talk to one of the writers they probably wouldn't know, game design is very compartmentalized.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that Beckett freaking out in the ambiguous manner he did was a deliberate choice to put the player to a test. Not a result of cuts in the game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always thought the Beckett thing was him doing some investigation about the thing, seeing some elements that something wasn't right and putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

He knows something's up, he just doesn't know what, so better to be safe than sorry.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be fair, the antediluvian actually WAS inside the coffin. Beckett probably found that and only that out, but not the whole "And then came loving Jack" part.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But I thought it was just a dead mummy. I don't think it was an antediluvian because at the end we see a desiccated corpse on the lawn chair next to Jack.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 17, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah the coffin ended up having nothing special. Just Jack knew that and exploited it to his own gain. Vampirethemasquerade.txt

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

double nine posted:

There was, but I don't think he's posted in years.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No, the sarcophagus wasn't empty, Jack hangs out with the corpse inside of it at the end. I liked the ending for several reasons but one is that if you're just going off of Bloodlines you can say that aside from Caine the antediluvians are all just long dead and its just a bunch of vampires freaking out thinking the sky is falling, which is an amusing considering that they are these horrific monsters.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think the corpse was an antediluvian. I'm pretty sure it was just a mummified king.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Didn't the Old World of Darkness have actual supernatural mummies? Could it have had any connection to them?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spoilers for the whole plot: Jack heard about the Elizabeth Dane, snuck aboard, murdered everybody, opened the sarcophagus, and found the mummy. Knowing LaCroix, among others, would want the mummy for himself, Jack replaced the mummy with a bunch of explosives rigged to go off when the casket was opened. He then helped the PC out, then retired to the Last Round to let things play out. When you plan is "somebody I don't like is going to open the sarcophagus and get blown up", precision isn't really a big deal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

xanthan posted:

Didn't the Old World of Darkness have actual supernatural mummies? Could it have had any connection to them?

No, Mumnmies are basically super-alive people with stupid powers who get more powerful by being good people.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pope Guilty posted:

Spoilers for the whole plot: Jack heard about the Elizabeth Dane, snuck aboard, murdered everybody, opened the sarcophagus, and found the mummy. Knowing LaCroix, among others, would want the mummy for himself, Jack replaced the mummy with a bunch of explosives rigged to go off when the casket was opened. He then helped the PC out, then retired to the Last Round to let things play out. When you plan is "somebody I don't like is going to open the sarcophagus and get blown up", precision isn't really a big deal.

This is correct.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
A lot of human collateral damage, too. Jack's kind of a jerk.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
All vampires are jerks.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ddraig posted:

I always thought the Beckett thing was him doing some investigation about the thing, seeing some elements that something wasn't right and putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

He knows something's up, he just doesn't know what, so better to be safe than sorry.

According to the last conversation you have with him, he specifically thought there's nasty poo poo going down between all the political factions in LA and the sarcophagus is at the center of it. He doesn't want to get caught in the crossfire so he gets the hell out of dodge.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Strudel Man posted:

A lot of human collateral damage, too. Jack's kind of a jerk.

When you live as long as he has it's probably hard not to devalue human life just a tad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well according to ~*The Lore*~ its a bit more complicated than that. Vampires don't really feel emotions as humans do. They are reanimated dead for all practical purposes, soul is gone, the memories just remain. Sort of like an AI that had all your memories, it might think it's you but it's not. The Beast that Jack talks about in the intro is an actual thing that's trying to drive you to act more animalistic. The only incentive to not kill randomly is preventing the Beast from taking over (And not getting on TV so every police officer is hunting you down).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Which is, if I recall, why vampire society inevitably devolves into petty politicking. The longer you live, the longer it is to even pretend to give a poo poo about humanity, so you start finding new things to obsess over to keep the Beast at bay. Each clan sorta has their own thing they begin to obsess over. Nosferatu hoard information. Tremere spend eternities in their labs doing experiments. Toreador desperately try to stay current to mortal arts and fashion - or sit in the middle of it and try to arrange it as they please. Ventrue obsess over the politicking and the power it brings. And so on, and so forth.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm actually kind of surprised- mass murder's a hard thing to justify even if you're on a Path of Enlightment. For a vampire on Humanity, it's absolutely a big hit to his control over his beast. And the "Well he was attacking me!" excuse doesn't work because it's not like he didn't provoke it.

I mean, sure, you get older, you get better at rationalizing that stuff and how it was totally morally acceptable to murder everybody on the boat, but that's basically the last step before sliding into inhumanity and no longer seeing the need to justify yourself.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
It's been a while since I played it, but who exactly was the person that comes out of the darkness at the end? You see someone walk up behind the guy in the lawnchair and the mummy in the lawnchair. Is it your character?

It's been so long I can't remember.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravenicus posted:

It's been a while since I played it, but who exactly was the person that comes out of the darkness at the end? You see someone walk up behind the guy in the lawnchair and the mummy in the lawnchair. Is it your character?

It's been so long I can't remember.

It's implied to be the taxi driver, who is, in reality, Cain, progenitor of all vampires. It's why he's got a spooky dark aura at the very end.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
Oh man, that's pretty cool, thanks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If memory serves, the events of Gehenna start a few weeks after the end of Bloodlines. At least, in the timeline where new books didn't start to get published a decade later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised- mass murder's a hard thing to justify even if you're on a Path of Enlightment. For a vampire on Humanity, it's absolutely a big hit to his control over his beast. And the "Well he was attacking me!" excuse doesn't work because it's not like he didn't provoke it.

I mean, sure, you get older, you get better at rationalizing that stuff and how it was totally morally acceptable to murder everybody on the boat, but that's basically the last step before sliding into inhumanity and no longer seeing the need to justify yourself.

I imagine it was a gameplay concession and if they had had more dev time they might have devised more ways to get around combat (and punish wanton killing more harshly)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

That might work, but there's one problem with that: when you talk to Professor Johansson, and if you pass a [skill] check, Johansson reveals that someone tipped him off on the location of the Ancaran Sarcophagus. So whoever started this plot, whether it's Jack, Kain, or someone else, began by pointing Johanson towards the Sarcophagus. Now that's really long-term planning for someone like Jack...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I imagine it was a gameplay concession and if they had had more dev time they might have devised more ways to get around combat (and punish wanton killing more harshly)

Oh, I meant Jack's massacre of the Elizabeth Dane, though you're not wrong.

double nine posted:

That might work, but there's one problem with that: when you talk to Professor Johansson, and if you pass a [skill] check, Johansson reveals that someone tipped him off on the location of the Ancaran Sarcophagus. So whoever started this plot, whether it's Jack, Kain, or someone else, began by pointing Johanson towards the Sarcophagus. Now that's really long-term planning for someone like Jack...

Eh, Jack is something like 350-400 years old. You don't really live that long as a vampire without starting to take an elder's view of things. Of course, somebody else might've done it and Jack might have got wind and improvised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think it's also assuming a lot about Jack. He might be more conniving than he appears, he just plays sorta dumb to put people off guard.

• Locked thread