Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I think the scope of the thread is probably to examine games for younger girls because that's when people are more impressionable. It seems like most of what we've seen has been that, anyway. Older girls and women have it rough too, but at least by the time they're old enough to play games marketed to their older audience selves, they've gained critical thinking skills. But maybe that's just how I'm interpreting it. I guess with the Steam games I wanted to say, these are the games other people think girls should be playing, even if they're not specifically made for girls. And while I think that's an interesting discussion it probably doesn't fall under the category. Also it seems like an irregular number of insipid or poorly made games are recommended to girls, but not boys, so there's another problem.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Six Of Spades posted:

Or even apparently Native American headdresses, despite that technically being from a Western culture.

How are native American cultures Western cultures? :confused:

dijon du jour posted:

The same could be said of Tomb Raider, apparently.

Executive producer of recent Tomb Raider reboot Ron Rosenberg posted:

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character,"
"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her."
"When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."
At least they were upfront about it.

Wow, that's terrible. Since when does Lara Croft need protecting?

Bacchante posted:

The lack of games for grown women might be an issue for another time.

It's the double-issue of games being for children and games being for boys. If you're a woman you strike out on both counts. The fact that girls and adults do enjoy video games (and comics) doesn't seem to change that perception of them as being pretty much just something for boys.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tiggum posted:

Since the new game where every time you die you get a tastefully framed, black and white, lovingly handled snuff film snippet. It's just super gross.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's even worse when you consider the statement "When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character,". Now why would people not identify with Lara as opposed to every other video game protagonist? It's impossible to guess his intent when he said that but it kinda sounds like there's an assumption that the presumably male audience won't be able to identify with a female protagonist, especially when you look at the rest of the quote, like the part where this causes a different dynamic than a male protagonist. It also implies all sorts of terrible things behind the assumption that the players want to "protect her" (because she's a woman).

As I recall thought it was mostly a PR gaffe, though it's worrying that this comes from the executive producer. I had heard that the actual game was good, though I can't offer a personal opinion since I've never played it.

CaptainBob
Jul 20, 2013
I may not know anything about fashion, but this looks pretty rad.

http://www.dolldivine.com/dinogeddon-character-maker.php

codl
Jul 28, 2013

Delivering girl game news
directly to you

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CaptainBob posted:

I may not know anything about fashion, but this looks pretty rad.

http://www.dolldivine.com/dinogeddon-character-maker.php

That's fun!

codl posted:

Delivering girl game news
directly to you

That's terrifying!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Bacchante posted:

The lack of games for grown women might be an issue for another time.

Almost the entire casual games industry.

(And adventure games, but they're a much smaller niche, and not seen as being only/primarily for women in the same way, although they definitely are expecting an older audience of mixed gender rather than aiming straight at teenage boys.)

There are many games designed for adult women, the issue there is that they are seen as 'lesser' games because they have different design principles than the hardcore AAA shooting market, and many people will refuse to count them as video games at all, solely because they are targeted at a different market: if they're not for boys they must not be real games. For some people 'Casual' gets thrown around like an insult.

Anyway, those games have their own range of issues to examine that don't really blend into the themes of this thread so I won't talk about them at length, but it's important not to brush them aside. They do exist and have had financial success.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

How could you go past the cosmic pants?

This game is beautiful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Layers and sprite rotation are awesome.

But the choice of pants could be better.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

You seem to be short a generic tough gal type.

Much agreement on the pants situatiuon.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Oooh, I really like this dress-up game, especially the non-Barbie body type.

Now it's time for a fresh-grilled :siren: UPDATE! :siren:

with Voidburger

Check the video description for an adorable puppy of your very own!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I like that in the office game you can see your boss just hiding among your clothes. I guess they couldn't be bothered to do multiple backgrounds. Also I laughed really hard at idea of Dress Up My Delicious Pop being a dad dress up game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
WONDERFUL! Better than Obama!

I find it upsetting that after the dress-up portion of Texting Woman Caught By Her Boss At Work, they didn't have a second level where you have to hold a button to text and release it when the boss looks in your direction. Real missed opportunity there, game.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I also thought of Cooking 'Bama, and it's that much more depressing that they missed such a golden opportunity. :negative:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
That there's no scathing political commentary in Obama Burgers is the true missed golden opportunity.

Also the knife in that game looks like a dagger.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I didn't get the Cooking 'Bama joke until literally the end of the video.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
That was a cute dress-pup game.

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014
That was an aggressively cute puppy. I have never seen a puppy so offensively cute.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I don't think we want to know what was used for the meat.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
That Texting At Work game has the same royalty free music that gamexplain on Youtube uses for one of their video series. I'm assuming it's royalty free or the game stole it from them because girl games.

Oh my gosh that puppy, though! Even the mute button in that game is cute!

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

BattleCake posted:

It's even worse when you consider the statement "When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character,". Now why would people not identify with Lara as opposed to every other video game protagonist? It's impossible to guess his intent when he said that but it kinda sounds like there's an assumption that the presumably male audience won't be able to identify with a female protagonist, especially when you look at the rest of the quote, like the part where this causes a different dynamic than a male protagonist. It also implies all sorts of terrible things behind the assumption that the players want to "protect her" (because she's a woman).

As I recall thought it was mostly a PR gaffe, though it's worrying that this comes from the executive producer. I had heard that the actual game was good, though I can't offer a personal opinion since I've never played it.

This is a really common sort of line to hear around this industry, apparently; I remember reading that Sleeping Dogs started out with a female assassin as the protagonist rather than a dude cop, but their producers stepped in and insisted they use a male protagonist because games with female protagonists don't sell. Because they don't sell, when a game actually does have a female protagonist producers are way, way less likely to actually spend any real money advertising it, which naturally ensures that it doesn't sell, and so the cycle is complete.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Wait a sec, what's going on in that dressing room? Is there a guy hiding back there?

THERE IS. Too spooky.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Jenner posted:

Wait a sec, what's going on in that dressing room? Is there a guy hiding back there?

THERE IS. Too spooky.

I imagine the real reason he's so pissed off is because that lady dumped all her clothes on him.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jenner posted:

THERE IS. Too spooky.

She is texting at work, it's obviously some busybody at the office.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
He's not working either, hiding back there and creeping on her. :colbert:

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
So. I've been playing Polly Pocket games. And there's a few initial thoughts I'd like to share with the group.

1. These games take ages to load on my internet. But that's just me and my terrible computer.

2. Well... The production values are a lot better than the generic girl games, obviously. The games are... Often actually games. And they're all pretty fun. Plus not horrible. Admittedly you can't lose on a lot of them, but yeah. Music's pretty good too! It's quite surprising. The theme that plays on the games page is kinda rockin'.

3. Some of these are old. As in, my little sister was playing these about ten years ago old. And it's easy to tell which is which.

But there's some neat stuff going on. Like... Polly isn't particularly sexualized. And I played the Rockstar Makeover game, finding myself to be presently surprised that once I picked out my little outfit I got to watch the starlet rocking out with her friends afterwards. It wasn't much, but it was a touch that a lot of these games haven't bothered with. I'd seriously love to record some of these if my computing options weren't so limited. At some point, there was a person making these who legitimately though, "Okay... So, I'm making a low-effort flash game for some website for little girls... But how can I make this fun?" And in a lot of cases, they succeeded.

I'm not going to say that this is perfect or anything but... Yeah, it's not bad. It almost feels like I'd be stealing a nice breather episode from DeVac by reviewing some of these...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Mr. Swoon posted:

I don't think we want to know what was used for the meat.

Oh come on, why do you think we washed a puppy?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Heatwizard posted:

I remember reading that Sleeping Dogs started out with a female assassin as the protagonist rather than a dude cop

How is that even the same game? "Yeah, I love this game concept you've come up with, everything is great, except one little thing... how about instead of playing as an assassin you play as an undercover cop? Keep everything else though, that's great."

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE

Mr. Swoon and Syrg rejoin me for some more licensed girl games with Mean Girls. It's...not abysmal? Wait, really?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Tiggum posted:

How is that even the same game? "Yeah, I love this game concept you've come up with, everything is great, except one little thing... how about instead of playing as an assassin you play as an undercover cop? Keep everything else though, that's great."

It wasn't just changing one thing, the game went through a lot of being pushed around by management. At least, according to the giantbomb game blurb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/sleeping-dogs/3030-29441/

The female protagonist bit is true, but that was several iterations away from what became the final game. I don't know if there's any information available about what the original plot was.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Games like this are all over the iOS App Store, and inexplicably, there's always at least one or two in the top 100 free games chart. Clearly, somebody's playing them. :psyduck:

Always nice, looking for a deal on a good game and getting a full view of some child's grody-rear end disaster mouth.

E:

Hey, kids! This man put his hand through a grain thresher filled with hornets, and you need to fix his boo-boos!

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 17, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I understand that there's always going to be a market for little kids who want to be doctors, but why does it have to be so grizzly?

Edit: vvv then why aren't I cool?

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 17, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Because gross things are cool.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So, what the heck. I thought I should contribute something, and I can at least post a brief overview of this even though I didn't completely understand it..

Kisekae Monogatari. Or to give it its full title, Magical Girl Mari's Dressing Up Adventure. A game from 1999 for the Gameboy Color. An actual RPG that incorporates dress-up mechanics.. although not in quite the way most of the games here do.

This is us. A 14-year-old "hyper energetic" magical girl called Mari, who has just one problem.. everyone keeps telling her how she's unfashionable and has no taste. So, she's determined to come to Earth and spend a year there learning more about fashion.

This is how we look when we are determined.

And so, Mari proceeds to quietly approach Earth by flying over the town on a broomstick..

And then summons herself up a giant castle tower in the middle of the city..

.. and only then does she think to remember her name, and also the name of her cat, who constantly follows you around. You can change both names. Here's a new name for our cat in my pidgin Japanese.

Our cat's first priority is to turn the 14-year-old Mari into an adult, saying that now she's on Earth she can't use magic too openly, so she'll have to go out and earn her own money for clothes. (For some reason this seems to be a very common thing in magical girl shows, and it's always welcomed. Nobody's ever utterly horrified at having years stripped off their life.)

We now get introduced to our room.

There's quite a lot of interactive stuff here. The notebook in the top right corner is for "style notes" - it's where we take down the details of any outfit we see. The wardrobe, top left, lets us choose from outfits we already have - although for some reason it seemed to lock me down to only choosing from the first two. The trunk at the bottom right is possibly the most important bit - it lets us summon an outfit we have in Style Notes into something real we can wear. Which, our cat tells us, apparently involves praying to it. It also looks like a rather uncomfortable process..

IT BURNS

Still, if that looks painful, it has nothing on this..

Our cat turning himself into a ring so that we can wear him while we're walking around.

We're then free to actually explore, and we can get into the game systems. Pressing START gives us our status view:

The top bit tells us what day it is of what month, and which section of the day (morning, afternoon, evening) it is. The G amount is how much money we have, and the next two numbers are how many outfits we've noted and how many we've actually unlocked. Clicking on the first option, to "view levels", shows us that the rabbit hole goes even deeper:

Yes, those are clothing categories with levels next to them. The listed categories are Casual, "Basic", what I think is "Boy's", Sexy (14-year-old girl. Oh, but she's turned into an adult so it's OK, right?), Street, Romantic, "Fekonin" (I have no idea what that means), and Elegant. At the start, it seems you're pretty much stuck with Casual as you haven't got notes on any of the others. And then we get..

Every Good Girl's Stat Block. From top to bottom: Fashion Points, Strength, Intelligence, Kindness, Grace, Taste, and Bravery.

Unfortunately, after that the game itself seems a bit dull. It involves exploring this city:

Visiting various locations. You'll notice there's almost no way to tell from the map which locations are actually visitable (many of the large ones aren't) or what they are. In fact, the game actually has to confirm with you what each building is before you enter it. For example, this:

is the library - who knew?

When you find a visitable location, you get a view of it:

and your stats go up based on where you've been and what you're wearing. The stat increases seem a bit arbitrary, too: hanging out at the park increased Taste, and one time I got 4 Strength points for eating a pizza. Even more amusing, heading down to the arcade, Mari got her Street Fighter antics on:

Which increased her Strength and Bravery because that's what playing video games does.

Every time you visit a location the phase counter advances, and every couple of phases you've got to go to bed. You can also listen to the radio and watch TV in your room, which take a phase each and give you 1 point of either Taste or Intelligence depending on what you did. I don't know if this is useful to grind..

Possibly the highlight so far was a visit to the "fancy shop", which offered this:

Yes, I want to buy a shuriken. Why not?

"You look like a ninja!"
WAIT WHAT

Yes, I unlocked an entire ninja costume by buying a toy shuriken. Unfortunately, because of the weird thing where the wardrobe only shows two outfits, it wouldn't allow me to actually put it on and rule the night, although I could just be missing something in the controls..

So, yea, if anyone knows Japanese better than I do and can explain this more, it looks at least a little interesting. But I think the "ladies' stat block" is probably the most girl-game aspect of it so far.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Click on the cutlets when the scale above them would be green utterly.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Playing the new South Park Stick of Truth game, there's... this! (skip to 3:40... the commentary blows, but it was the only video I could find)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAITYDfTvpE

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

hyphz posted:

Yes, those are clothing categories with levels next to them. The listed categories are Casual, "Basic", what I think is "Boy's", Sexy (14-year-old girl. Oh, but she's turned into an adult so it's OK, right?), Street, Romantic, "Fekonin" (I have no idea what that means), and Elegant.

It's "Boyish" and "Feminine".

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Hokuto posted:

It's "Boyish" and "Feminine".

Oh, that mangled looking symbol is a katakana MI! That makes a lot more sense, thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Devious Vacuum posted:

Oooh, I really like this dress-up game, especially the non-Barbie body type.

Now it's time for a fresh-grilled :siren: UPDATE! :siren:

with Voidburger

Check the video description for an adorable puppy of your very own!

The thing I found funniest about Cooking 'Bama was the revelation that apparently the president eats cheeseburgers with a fork.

• Locked thread