Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
we won iraq. twice, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

angerbeet posted:

Airplane themed restaurant.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/04/abandoned-boeing-747-restaurant.html

Not all of those were so lucky.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

we won iraq. twice, in fact.

If Iraq thinks it won how come we hosed them up so badly? Place is a total poo poo hole now!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wouldn't it be a cool idea to have a restaurant in one of those but it's themed for famous disasters

like there's people in the cockpit acting out cockpit voice recordings while things shake and there's noises

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If everyone is talking about cabin decompression killing the passengers, what about the pilots? I'm reminded a bit by the accident that killed golfer Payne Stewart where there was a gradual decompression in his chartered Learjet that sent everyone unconscious within minutes. The Orlando-to-Dallas plane flew off course for four hours and ended up crashing in South Dakota.

The flight path looked something like this...

A similar incident happen with an armed A-10 aircraft a couple years earlier. The Air Force ruled the pilot's death a suicide but it's been believed that his air supply may have failed and he went unconscious while flying.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

R.A. Dickey posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but why is it an option to turn the transponder off on a commercial jet?
Not a stupid question at all. Every answer to it has been however.

http://www.avweb.com/news/avionics/183231-1.html?redirected=1

quote:

When you take the runway for takeoff, turn your transponder to the ALT position, which enables it to respond to both Mode A and Mode C interrogations. Even if you don't have an altitude encoder installed, you should operate your transponder in the ALT mode. The reason for this is that the ground station is still looking for Mode C "framing pulses" from your transponder, even if there's no altitude information accompanying them.

Having every aircraft equipt with a transponder transmitting at all times would be a nightmare at major traffic hubs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Young Freud posted:

If everyone is talking about cabin decompression killing the passengers, what about the pilots? I'm reminded a bit by the accident that killed golfer Payne Stewart where there was a gradual decompression in his chartered Learjet that sent everyone unconscious within minutes. The Orlando-to-Dallas plane flew off course for four hours and ended up crashing in South Dakota.

The flight path looked something like this...

A similar incident happen with an armed A-10 aircraft a couple years earlier. The Air Force ruled the pilot's death a suicide but it's been believed that his air supply may have failed and he went unconscious while flying.

This one changed course and followed new nav points rather than just continuing on

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

PleasureKevin posted:

Yeah, just a 20m wide wave amid calm waters in the open ocean.

Or a ghost ship.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Malaysian authorities are apparently also interested in the theory that the plane was flown into Taliban land. They want permission to investigate.

If there was actually credible evidence of this, wouldn't the U.S. and Israel be on high alert?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11220825

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

PleasureKevin posted:

Yeah, just a 20m wide wave amid calm waters in the open ocean.

then what is it since you guys are so skilled with recognizing fuzzy objects

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

well someone already found the plane on satellite a couple days ago, it turned into a ghost plane

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OK so I've been watching some car chase movies lately and now I think it went down (lol) like this: the plane ducked behind a cloud for a few seconds and turned off its lights while the police jets flew past and then the plane came out from behind the cloud and went back the way it came. Until a straggling police jet rounded another cloud an oh poo poo the chase kept going!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

well someone already found the plane on satellite a couple days ago, it turned into a ghost plane

This is very compelling

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

R.A. Dickey posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but why is it an option to turn the transponder off on a commercial jet?

It runs Windows so they need to be able to turn it off and on again.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Some new breaking news came out about this missing plane. IDK if this was posted yet or not but there there was a very big VIP traveling in secret on it. It looks like it might not have been so secret afterall if the plane was in fact hijacked.

We can only ask where he is, keep looking, and wait... Hopefully someone will find him.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Wait. Who is that, Wally or Waldo and why is his enemy named Odlaw if Wally was the original name and where's Wally, Where's Wally now? Clock's ticking fellow Wally-Watchers! Is that him? Nope! Where the gently caress are you, Wally?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The plane carrying Waldo was stolen by Carmen Sandiago. Now you gumshoes must use your wits to wrap up today's case!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

No. 6 posted:

The plane carrying Waldo was stolen by Carmen Sandiago. Now you gumshoes must use your wits to wrap up today's case!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

The Malaysian authorities are apparently also interested in the theory that the plane was flown into Taliban land. They want permission to investigate.

If there was actually credible evidence of this, wouldn't the U.S. and Israel be on high alert?

Now is Alex Jones' time to shine.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

PleasureKevin posted:

There's no shortage of terrorist organisations in the region who'd love to get possession of an intact 777. You don't even need to go with the "probably going to bomb someone" theory. It's a big rear end plane which would be incredibly useful for transporting stuff (drugs, arms, people) if you could make it blend in with normal air traffic in the region.

People might be "looking out" for the plane to reappear now, but that's going to be a short-term thing. In a year's time - or maybe even a few months - there may be very little risk in occasionally using it to transport stuff/people.

At this point, the authorities have to be interested in any theory which is even remotely plausible because there are so few they can conclusively discount at the moment.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

This is good. It just needs those timestamps like the Air France 447 flight to make it look more official. Highlights:

02:07:00 (Bonin) We seem to be at the end of the cloud layer, it might be okay.

02:10:36 (Robert) Descend!

02:10:37 (Bonin) Here we go, we're descending.

02:10:41(Bonin) We're... yeah, we're in a climb.

02:10:55 (Robert) drat it!

02:11:21 (Robert) We still have the engines! What the hell is happening? I don't understand what's happening.

02:11:32 (Bonin) drat it, I don't have control of the plane, I don't have control of the plane at all!

02:11:37 (Robert) Left seat taking control!

02:11:43 (Captain) What the hell are you doing?

02:11:45 (Bonin) We've lost control of the plane!

02:11:47 (Robert) We've totally lost control of the plane. We don't understand at all... We've tried everything.

02:12:14 (Robert) What do you think? What do you think? What should we do?

02:12:15 (Captain) Well, I don't know!

02:13:40 (Robert) Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:42 (Captain) No, no, no... Don't climb... no, no.

02:13:43 (Robert) Descend, then... Give me the controls... Give me the controls!

02:14:23 (Robert) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!

02:14:27 (Captain) Ten degrees of pitch...

(Exactly 1.4 seconds later, the cockpit voice recorder stops).

Three stooges fly an aeroplane

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Zogo posted:

This is good. It just needs those timestamps like the Air France 447 flight to make it look more official. Highlights:

02:07:00 (Larry) We seem to be at the end of the cloud layer, it might be okay.

02:10:36 (Curly) Descend!

02:10:37 (Larry) Here we go, we're descending.

02:10:41(Larry) We're... yeah, we're in a climb.

02:10:55 (Curly) drat it!

02:11:21 (Curly) We still have the engines! What the hell is happening? I don't understand what's happening.

02:11:32 (Larry) drat it, I don't have control of the plane, I don't have control of the plane at all!

02:11:37 (Curly) Left seat taking control!

02:11:43 (Moe) What the hell are you doing?

02:11:45 (Larry) We've lost control of the plane!

02:11:47 (Curly) We've totally lost control of the plane. We don't understand at all... We've tried everything.

02:12:14 (Curly) What do you think? What do you think? What should we do?

02:12:15 (Moe) Well, I don't know!

02:13:40 (Curly) Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:42 (Moe) No, no, no... Don't climb... no, no.

02:13:43 (Curly) Descend, then... Give me the controls... Give me the controls!

02:14:23 (Curly) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!

02:14:27 (Moe) Ten degrees of pitch...

Fixed it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
3 airplanes all try to fly through the same doorway at the same time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Al Borland posted:

Fixed

02:07:00 (Larry) We seem to be at the end of the cloud layer, it might be okay.

02:10:36 (Curly) Woob-woob-woob!

02:10:37 (Larry) Here we go, we're descending.

02:10:41(Larry) We're... yeah, we're in a climb.

02:10:55 (Curly) Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

02:11:21 (Curly) We still have the engines! What the hell is happening? I don't understand what's happening.

02:11:32 (Larry) drat it, I don't have control of the plane, I don't have control of the plane at all!

02:11:37 (Curly) Ruff! Left seat taking control!

02:11:43 (Moe) What the hell are you doing?

02:11:45 (Larry) We've lost control of the plane!

02:11:47 (Curly) We've totally lost control of the plane. We don't understand at all... We've tried everything.

02:12:14 (Curly) What do you think? What do you think? What should we do?

02:12:15 (Moe) Well, I don't know!

02:13:40 (Curly) Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:42 (Moe) No, no, no... Don't climb... no, no.

02:13:43 (Curly) Descend, then... Give me the controls... Give me the controls!

02:13:57 *sounds of something spinning around on the cockpit floor*

02:14:23 (Curly) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!

02:14:27 (Moe) Ten degrees of pitch...

02:14:29 (Curly) Soitenly!

Fixed it more

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dusseldorf posted:

3 airplanes all try to fly through the same doorway at the same time.

Funny and sad that this is exactly why air traffic controllers exist. "Hey, this was my runway!" "Why I oughta..."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Reports are coming from the guardian that the plane actually did drop altitude to 5000 feet to avoid radar detection.

this is getting crazier and crazier.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yay, my theory is panning out. But I thought it had to be 200 feet.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

windsor posted:

Yay, my theory is panning out. But I thought it had to be 200 feet.

drat those stealth 777's.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
If the plane was flying at under 5000 feet from the time it dropped off radar, then that limits how far it could've flown

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What new laws / technology can I look forward to after this??

I'm assuming the plane just crashed somewhere over thousands of square miles of ocean and just hasn't been located yet.

But leave it up to the media to make it look like everyone in the aviation workforce has egg on their face from this.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

If it's true the plane dropped to 1500m to avoid radar, then that might mean it went North rather than South, since I've heard there isn't as much radar in that direction. One news source says it flew at low altitude for 1 hour, which only seems long enough to get back to Malaysia/Thailand/Burma.

Is it possible the plane was descending, and that at about 1500 metres the autopilot kicked in and stopped it? And it flew under autopilot continuously after that?

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
We've turned off all the systems that could give away our location!

gently caress! The plane is flying itself! Who could have ever foreseen this?????!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
New theory, They descended to 1000 below sea level to avoid radar.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my theory is about 850ft, personally that sounds like a p good number to settle on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

PleasureKevin posted:

Is it possible the plane was descending, and that at about 1500 metres the autopilot kicked in and stopped it? And it flew under autopilot continuously after that?

New theory:-

Initially a hijacking, the copilot, a young hotshot good hearted rookie had to fight off the hijackers with his grizzled commanding pilot, however just as they regained control of the plane, the pilot was revealed to be a rogue sleeper agent, causing a pretty sweet fight, the rookie delivers a jackie chan roundhouse kick, causing the older dude to fly back and hit the altitude control, but kept on fighting, in the kerfuffle The initial ascent up to 45,000 caused hypoxia and pretty much killed everyone on board, however in the final 0.5 seconds left in his breath the copilot presses the autopilot in the vain hope that the plane will guide itself back to safety.

Therefore, i will surmise that either the plane ran out of fuel, or that it landed automatically and inside are the unconsious bodies of everyone intact, with the only noticable signs of struggle is a boot print on the lead pilots face. and his body sprawled across the controls, and the copilot with a thumbs up in the air thats permanently there due to rigor mortis.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 17, 2014

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
bush hid the facts

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So whose getting the movie rights to this story?

Personally I think Michael Bay would be great.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Simpsons did it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Al Borland posted:

New theory, They descended to 1000 below sea level to avoid radar.

A submarine with wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Good point. Nobody ever suspects the autopilot.

• Locked thread