Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nihnoz posted:

I honestly think a lot of games could afford to scale the rules space combat takes up WAY down. 4e is obviously not one of those lol.

4e could, i think. a lot of feats and powers are ultimately redundant with each other and at this point you could probably do a simplification pass on a lot of conditions and durations etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
you nerds need to calm down about old roleplaying systems.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ferrinus posted:

4e could, i think. a lot of feats and powers are ultimately redundant with each other and at this point you could probably do a simplification pass on a lot of conditions and durations etc

Encounter power durations always being TEONT and dailies being always save ends would be a good starting point. That's the thing with exceptions-based design, though; it's anathema to hard-and-fast rules.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

you'd have to scale down combat relative to the rest of the game pretty hard to actually be able to include a "best fighter" class

say what you will, though, but 4e definitively proves that you don't need to give fighters eyebeams or armies or whatever for them to convincingly hold their own in fantasy action-adventure all the way through the level progression

Frank Trollman even praises that part of 4e, especially how Fighters integrate with epic destinies. And getting Frank Trollman to say something nice about 4e is quite the "feat", ho ho ho.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

P.d0t posted:

Encounter power durations always being TEONT and dailies being always save ends would be a good starting point. That's the thing with exceptions-based design, though; it's anathema to hard-and-fast rules.

I remember having UEONT and save-ends abilities in the same combat super stressed me out when I ran 4e.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
keeping track of various +1s is the worst. at least 4e has them as combat effects opposed to character features :jerkbag:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Oh god, my PTSD is triggering. Magic item parcels, +1 until end of next turn, oh god it's flooding me.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
+1 end of next turn is making me have a stroke.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Here's what I've decided so far for my gamist 4e style heartbreaker

* In addition to personal class resources, you also have a life bar called Morale for the entire party, the more you utilize NPCs, the more you have to manage it, and breaking the enemy morale is more important than wiping them out

* Defenses come in three forms: damage reduction, active defense (an aggregate of dodging and shield blocking), and ablative armor (temporary HP usually gained via magic). This way, every class can be built into a rock paper scissors meta.

* No loving +1 buffs. Buffs either give ablative armor, restore class resources, or interact with Morale. Upkeep phase is at the end of the turn, and that is also when debuffs/CC wears off or saves are rolled.

* Pass/fail skill checks are gay so anything that's not combat is going to involve either freeform roleplaying, or a suitably involved domain management and mass combat system.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
how does morale work with players

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
like you can't say you run out of morale lol you run lol. you could say the hirelings (subhumans) run out of it maybe

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
good lord this thread got unreadable

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
first the stylesheet, then the nihnoz posts

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Nihnoz posted:

like you can't say you run out of morale lol you run lol. you could say the hirelings (subhumans) run out of it maybe

Yes. Your hirelings run out of it. You can stay and get zerged/focus fired after they run if you want to commit suicide.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

LSTB posted:

Here's what I've decided so far for my gamist 4e style heartbreaker

* In addition to personal class resources, you also have a life bar called Morale for the entire party, the more you utilize NPCs, the more you have to manage it, and breaking the enemy morale is more important than wiping them out

* Defenses come in three forms: damage reduction, active defense (an aggregate of dodging and shield blocking), and ablative armor (temporary HP usually gained via magic). This way, every class can be built into a rock paper scissors meta.

* No loving +1 buffs. Buffs either give ablative armor, restore class resources, or interact with Morale. Upkeep phase is at the end of the turn, and that is also when debuffs/CC wears off or saves are rolled.

* Pass/fail skill checks are gay so anything that's not combat is going to involve either freeform roleplaying, or a suitably involved domain management and mass combat system.

sounds like it work more as a wargame than a roleplaying game. team fantasy combat miniatures game sounds pretty cool.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Attorney at Funk posted:

first the stylesheet, then the nihnoz posts

my posts are insanely cool

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

stoutfish posted:

sounds like it work more as a wargame than a roleplaying game. team fantasy combat miniatures game sounds pretty cool.

Yeah. Maybe I'll just see if anyone wants to do a Necromunda league on roll20.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
we should all make games and maybe one of them will be good

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

stoutfish posted:

we should all make games and maybe one of them will be good

a buddy of mine rewrote mage the awakening's spellcasting system from the ground up and it's trash

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Attorney at Funk posted:

a buddy of mine rewrote mage the awakening's spellcasting system from the ground up and it's trash

I didn't know Ferrinus was your friend.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I feel like any goon rewrite of 4e would just result in duplicating synnibar.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

the ability of editing your system down to a playable state is sadly lacking among most game devs.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
ive been in a dnd game for like 3.5 years now

it's night below for ad&d, we're near the end of the first book at level 5-ish

my dad runs it and although the campaign seems ok (though he says the books are v poorly organized) the system is dodgy as gently caress and he's your typical 'old school' dm. loves pass/fail poo poo, wants to kill the pcs, uses saving throws on equipment, rolls randomly for the wizard spells we get on scrolls and doesn't let us automatically get one of our choice per level, etc. he also doesn't ever use houseruling on simple poo poo so we're forced to look things up all the time. im an illusionist/thief and i p much have the worst of it right now, i fail my thief poo poo no matter how much i increase it and illusionists can't use any useful spells. plus the illusion rules are v poorly defined in the book so my dad has trouble letting me do anything with them.

its not much fun, im more a fan of fast and loose poo poo (paranoia w/o books is great)

that's my dnd experience, thanks for reading

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

LSTB posted:

I didn't know Ferrinus was your friend.

I prefer the terms buddy, buster, champ, etc

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
paranoia is good, it's magical tea time with a very narrow set of themes.

let's play paranoia.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Is this now the DDRD general traditional games thread?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

stoutfish posted:

paranoia is good, it's magical tea time with a very narrow set of themes.

let's play paranoia.

i would love to play it in irc again sometime that poo poo was bonkers

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm a lovely gm but i am up for running paranoia in irc/voice.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

The Droid posted:

Less chowder recipes, more arguing over random rear end Japanese games that aren't D&D Next.

So yes.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
i am up for joining but im in utc-6 so im going to bed right now

tip for paranoia players, think up a cool pun for your name like vi|r|gin

Dec 26, 2012

Jonked posted:

Less chowder recipes, more arguing over random rear end Japanese games that aren't D&D Next.

So yes.

chowder recipes are ok too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Droid posted:

in order to build a games subforum designed to prevent megathreads, the mods have decided to move all games megathreads to ddrd

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Megathreads are the natural state of a cliqueish forum such as this one. Like, who wants to start a new TTRPG thread and have it fill up with random DDRDorks shouting "I'm going to steal your lunch money nerds" and "I cast magic missile!" Especially if its a very narrow topic concerning a specific game.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Ars Magica is insanely cool btw

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
arms magica looks really rules heavy, everything i've seen about it is a wall of character generation

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

stoutfish posted:

arms magica looks really rules heavy, everything i've seen about it is a wall of character generation

It's insanely dense and there's a lot of bizarre exceptions to rules in like sidenotes and poo poo, but drat it's a ton of fun.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

In my 4e heartbreaker the players were the ultimate expression of human potential, and the level 1 sample adventure was to keep a 1280 foot tall giant robot from falling into the hands of the high priest of the god of the sun and his loyal angel minions, because Gods were upset that humans weren't groveling as much as they used to.

I.... don't think I gave much thought as to what they'd face at level 2, when the gods were level 1 encounters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

LSTB posted:

i can't believe i forgot this, this is absolutely the number one thing that slows down actual play, keeping track of modifiers to checks. they should either vanish entirely or boil down to a single universal "advantage" unless they're long-term things a pc keeps track of themselves and largely never alters

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I want to make a version of D&D where players make characters from different editions of the game. All tests are decided by arguing with each of the players about a stupid, idiosyncratic point of contention and the game cannot continue until the DM declares one of them the winner. If the players dislike the DM's argument, they can argue with him instead which continues until the DM quits, the players give up, or the whole thing ends in murder-suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Haam posted:

ive been in a dnd game for like 3.5 years now

it's night below for ad&d, we're near the end of the first book at level 5-ish

my dad runs it and although the campaign seems ok (though he says the books are v poorly organized) the system is dodgy as gently caress and he's your typical 'old school' dm. loves pass/fail poo poo, wants to kill the pcs, uses saving throws on equipment, rolls randomly for the wizard spells we get on scrolls and doesn't let us automatically get one of our choice per level, etc. he also doesn't ever use houseruling on simple poo poo so we're forced to look things up all the time. im an illusionist/thief and i p much have the worst of it right now, i fail my thief poo poo no matter how much i increase it and illusionists can't use any useful spells. plus the illusion rules are v poorly defined in the book so my dad has trouble letting me do anything with them.

its not much fun, im more a fan of fast and loose poo poo (paranoia w/o books is great)

that's my dnd experience, thanks for reading

any rpg system w/o books is great. playing by the seat of ur pants owns so hard becuase u cant power game if the dm has a bottle of whiskey and is dropping poo poo from the sky

• Locked thread