Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

We have a standard format for the documents with hyperlinks and all that. What I'm looking for is how to decide what content goes in what document. For instance, we have two processes called Escalations (bugging the adjuster to try to get an decision on whether a particular medication is approved) and Letter of More Information (bugging the prescribing doctor to tell the adjuster how the med is related to the work injury). The requests in both of these processes have a number of possible statuses depending on where the request is in the process. One of these statuses is Call Claims Manager. If the request is in Call Claims Manager status it is handled the same way regardless of what type of request it is. Would it be generally considered better to have the steps for handling the Call Claims Manager status as a separate document that the Escalations and LOMI documents point to, or would it be better to have an Escalations document and a LOMI document that each walk you through the entire process knowing that I'd be duplicating the entire Call Claims Manager subprocess in each? I guess what it boils down to is, with a database of interconnected documents, is it better to have a larger number of smaller documents or fewer large documents that duplicate some content?

Writing these databases isn't the hard part; maintaining them is where you're going to start having problems. Which scenario is more likely:

A) The "Call Claims Manager" process splits. (One "Call Claims Manager" changes and the other one doesn't.) While editing the document, someone fails to realize that they are editing both processes.

B) The "Call Claims Manager" procedure changes. Someone modifies one document, and forgets to update the duplicate.

B seems more likely to me, so I'd try to have them be the same document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Did they just sit in a drawer? They'll be fine once you recharge them. Did you drain them all the way flat then recharge them more than once a day every day over those 2 years? Then and only then would they be permanently hosed.

For things in between they'll probably have only lost something like 10% of their original capacity.
I use wireless mics, 2 AAs in the TX and 2 AAs in the RX. I change them out before I start the day.

A few weeks ago one of the units died after an hour or two of use. I stop everything and change the batteries, and we are okay. Because I changed out all four at once, I don't know which the bum one was, or if it's not really bum, if it's just uncharged (and somehow got swapped in accidentally). I recharge them, and while they defective ones are on the recharger, I have the same problem with a different battery.

I'm trying to decide if I just had a couple dead ones accidentally swapped in with the charged ones, or if they're going bad.

Upon some research tonight, I believe I will buy a new batch of NiMH batts, start using them for work, and give the old ones to the kids for home use.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Motronic posted:

No.....no. Stop right there. It's not an example. It's a television show.

Yeah, I know it's a TV show - but it's safe to assume that it's at least vaguely based off reality. You wouldn't have a cop show set in Canberra because it would be totally boring - and I would love to defer to real life police experience on this one, but I don't have any experience myself, hence why I was posting this question in the small/stupid questions megathread, to see if anyone knew any differently, because I was curious. I know police work doesn't act exactly like it does on TV, but finding the answer to overly specific questions online tends to require buckets and buckets and buckets of reading, unless you want some lovely yahoo answers thing to pop up when you type in the question, so there's no need to be condescending about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is it so difficult to get an account deleted from a website? Some are fine, you just click the link, go through the confirmation process and it's done. Sometimes you have to actually contact someone who works there and get them to do it, which is a hassle, but still not too bad. But some sites act like wanting to have your account deleted is is just the most incomprehensible thing imaginable.

In the recent past I've received an email from a site I signed up to years ago and decided to delete my account, gone through the password recovery process so I could actually get into it, discovered that various site upgrades and redesigns had left my account as nothing more than a username and email address with no other information attached, and been told by the staff that there is no way to remove the account. The best they could do was deactivate it, but that username and email address would be permanently locked out so I'd need to use different ones if I ever wanted to sign up again.

One other site where I tried to have my account removed acted like I was asking them to break the law or something. They wanted the request in writing and told me it they would have to keep my information on record for a year before it could be deleted. And this after questioning me repeatedly as to why I would even want them to do such a thing. Is it really so difficult to understand? Why is deleting an account not just an easy, routine operation?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tiggum posted:

And this after questioning me repeatedly as to why I would even want them to do such a thing. Is it really so difficult to understand? Why is deleting an account not just an easy, routine operation?

Why do you care that you have an account on a website that you don't use? Change the info if you can, scramble the password and move on with your life. Or refer to the various resources for doing so.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
So I'm considering getting my wife some lingerie for her birthday, but I'm wary of the idea that it's not really a gift for her as much as it's a gift for me. On the one hand, I'd like it to be a spontaneous surprise from me that is flattering to her. On the other hand, I have no illusions that it's a pretty selfish gift.

So: is it possible to get lingerie as a gift (perhaps couched in other gifts as a buffer) without seeming totally selfish?

Alternately, I'm notoriously hard to shop for. Could I just suggest it as a gift for my own birthday? It kinda feels like that's just as bad. Is this a no-win?

Pre-emptive: Yeah, I know it depends on my wife's personality, etc. I'd still love some insight from your own experience.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KnifeWrench posted:

So I'm considering getting my wife some lingerie for her birthday, but I'm wary of the idea that it's not really a gift for her as much as it's a gift for me. On the one hand, I'd like it to be a spontaneous surprise from me that is flattering to her. On the other hand, I have no illusions that it's a pretty selfish gift.

So: is it possible to get lingerie as a gift (perhaps couched in other gifts as a buffer) without seeming totally selfish?
Generally speaking, no.

KnifeWrench posted:

Alternately, I'm notoriously hard to shop for. Could I just suggest it as a gift for my own birthday? It kinda feels like that's just as bad. Is this a no-win?
You can ask. I asked for this for Christmas, and got a WiiU.

It is my experience that there are two types of women: women who own and wear lingerie, and women who don't. You can pick one or the other, but you cannot convert one to the other.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why do you care that you have an account on a website that you don't use?

Generally because it's inconvenienced me in some way. The latest was Wordpress. I signed up for Gravatar years ago (which let me post comments on blogs etc. and have an avatar without needing to sign into anything, just putting down my email address made it work). Now apparently it's owned by Wordpress and any time I want to post a comment on a site that uses Gravatar I have to sign into a WordPress account, completely negating the value of having Gravatar set up in the first place and in fact making posting on those sites less convenient rather than more. I didn't ask for a Wordpress account, I didn't sign up for it, I don't want it, it's inconveniencing me, why should I not be able to just loving delete it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Tiggum posted:

Why is it so difficult to get an account deleted from a website? Some are fine, you just click the link, go through the confirmation process and it's done. Sometimes you have to actually contact someone who works there and get them to do it, which is a hassle, but still not too bad. But some sites act like wanting to have your account deleted is is just the most incomprehensible thing imaginable.

In the recent past I've received an email from a site I signed up to years ago and decided to delete my account, gone through the password recovery process so I could actually get into it, discovered that various site upgrades and redesigns had left my account as nothing more than a username and email address with no other information attached, and been told by the staff that there is no way to remove the account. The best they could do was deactivate it, but that username and email address would be permanently locked out so I'd need to use different ones if I ever wanted to sign up again.

One other site where I tried to have my account removed acted like I was asking them to break the law or something. They wanted the request in writing and told me it they would have to keep my information on record for a year before it could be deleted. And this after questioning me repeatedly as to why I would even want them to do such a thing. Is it really so difficult to understand? Why is deleting an account not just an easy, routine operation?

Generally because the site wasn't designed with the ability to "remove" accounts cleanly. Let's say that they have a record of your account interacting with another user's account. Do they pretend that this interaction never occurred? (Ding the other user with no clear indication why this happened?) Do they go back through all of their statistical analysis and remove 1 "event" each time you interacted with something? Do they attempt to re-write history so that each event belonging to your (specific) account now belongs to some "grey" user? It is easiest to leave everything the way that it is and prevent your account from interacting with any other accounts in the future. It takes engineer-hours to design a system that foresees all of these cases and, since you're generally not giving them any more money, it's not high on the "product requirements" list.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

KnifeWrench posted:

The short answer is maybe. I'm the type of wife that goes against all things in Cosmo. I like appliances, not candy and flowers. I like lingerie that I buy myself, but I hate useless lingerie and don't much care for objectification.

quote:

Pre-emptive: Yeah, I know it depends on my wife's personality, etc. I'd still love some insight from your own experience.

Why don't you just buy it for fun? Why does it have to be for 'reasons'?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Generally because the site wasn't designed with the ability to "remove" accounts cleanly. Let's say that they have a record of your account interacting with another user's account. Do they pretend that this interaction never occurred? (Ding the other user with no clear indication why this happened?) Do they go back through all of their statistical analysis and remove 1 "event" each time you interacted with something? Do they attempt to re-write history so that each event belonging to your (specific) account now belongs to some "grey" user? It is easiest to leave everything the way that it is and prevent your account from interacting with any other accounts in the future. It takes engineer-hours to design a system that foresees all of these cases and, since you're generally not giving them any more money, it's not high on the "product requirements" list.

Why not just set the username to "DeletedUser166346" (or whatever) and all other account information to blank? I just don't want my name or email address or any of my details on their site any more, I don't care if the actual account technically still exists.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Is there a name (or is it even an observed phenomena) for the situation where you've only seen a syndicated TV show a handful of times but have seen the same episode multiple times?

As an example there are 21 seasons of Top Gear UK totalling over 200 episodes. I've watched this show less than a dozen times in my life but have seen the episode with Mark Webber on it at least three times. Similarly, there are over 150 episodes of the Big Bang Theory, it's played on local TV at least five times a week and out of the dozen or so episodes I've watched I've seen the same two episodes several times.

Is it because a television channel will only buy one season of a show and then air it over and over or is it some weird statistical thing to do with the length of time between the episodes I have watched?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cyberia posted:

Is it because a television channel will only buy one season of a show and then air it over and over or is it some weird statistical thing to do with the length of time between the episodes I have watched?

It's probably just confirmation bias. There are probably lots of shows that you've seen a dozen episodes of and they were all different ones, but that doesn't stand out in your memory because it's entirely unremarkable, but when you happen to see the same episode of a show you don't watch two or three times then you notice it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I know it's a TV show - but it's safe to assume that it's at least vaguely based off reality.

That's really not at all safe to assume about US TV shows, particularly police and hospital shows.

There's a good memoir by an LA police officer called Cop: A True Story by Michael Middleton if you want a non-fiction perspective.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I know it's a TV show - but it's safe to assume that it's at least vaguely based off reality.
That's not a safe assumption at all and you deserve ridicule for writing this sincerely.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What would I use to get this stain out of this chair?

Taking that part of the cushion off and laundering it is not an option - the cushion only comes off as a whole, and it won't fit in the washing machine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yet you're using it as an example to ask SPECIFIC questions and draw SPECIFIC conclusions. It's a drama, not a documentary. They take a lot of liberties with everything to make it entertaining.

This is about as reliable as using Borat for knowledge about Kazakhstan's people and culture.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

photomikey posted:

Try a small, hand-held steam cleaner. You can sometimes rent them from grocery or home improvement stores. You could also try an upholstery cleaning solution and scrubbing the crap out of it, but judging by the looks of that stain I bet it's pretty deep in there – you might damage the chair more than you'd clean it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This is kind of weird. Sometimes when I'm dreaming I can feel myself clenching my teeth (which is highly annoying) and I can feel my middle finger cross over my index and get stuck (which is also annoying). Is there anything I should be worrying about in terms of health?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Negative Entropy posted:

This is kind of weird. Sometimes when I'm dreaming I can feel myself clenching my teeth (which is highly annoying) and I can feel my middle finger cross over my index and get stuck (which is also annoying). Is there anything I should be worrying about in terms of health?

Grinding your teeth in your sleep is very common. Over time, it can wear down your teeth. You can fix it by wearing a mouth guard at night; talk to your dentist the next time you're in for a cleaning.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

Why not just set the username to "DeletedUser166346" (or whatever) and all other account information to blank? I just don't want my name or email address or any of my details on their site any more, I don't care if the actual account technically still exists.

I'm a server admin for a moderately-popular website, and that's exactly what we do. There's just no way to do it automatically; you have to contact customer service who then lets the ops center know, and we go into the database and change their email/password/etc. to keyboard-mash. We can't actually remove their entire entry for data integrity reasons; a crapload of other tables reference the customer list. But we're happy to change their name in our records to hjt6iwhf8yqwchkl if they ask.

It's surprisingly rare for someone to request this, though. I think I've done two, grand total. I guess most people who want to be done with the site just unsubscribe from the emails and go on with their lives.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

photomikey posted:

Taking that part of the cushion off and laundering it is not an option - the cushion only comes off as a whole, and it won't fit in the washing machine.

Blah I have a couch with the exact same kind of stain in the same place. Head grease. Gross. I second the steam-cleaning idea. I have a Rug Doctor with a hose attachment that I think is for stuff like that, if I try it on my couch I will let you know how it works out. I had never thought of cleaning it until now, haha. But the couch is brown so it's not that noticeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Fire :barf:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

photomikey posted:

Toss a baby blanket over the top. Or have your favorite crocheting relative make you a chair head cover.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This may actually be the best advice.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Be careful though, there's an accelerant in play.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

KnifeWrench posted:

Unless your wife actively likes lingerie, and has worn it enthusiastically before, I wouldn't for her birthday. My wife and I have gotten lots of sexy gifts for each other, and it's a great Valentine's present, or possibly anniversary present, since those are holidays for the both of you and are romantic days. But for her birthday, I'd go with something just for her.

I don't think there's anything wrong with her putting lingerie on for your birthday. It's your day, and if it makes you happy and she likes it too, go for it. Probably even better, since she gets to pick out what she'll be wearing, assuming she's down in the first place. Which is important: have you talked to her about wearing lingerie in general?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Meatwave posted:

Toss a baby blanket over the top. Or have your favorite crocheting relative make you a chair head cover.

They are called antimacassars and if they'd used one in the first place they wouldn't even be in this situation!! Now the chair's macassared to gently caress and back.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a secret to peeling boiled eggs? Rarely I can do it without issue, but most times I gently caress it up in a number of different ways. Sometimes the shell breaks off in minuscule crumbs and takes forever, sometimes the amnion doesn't separate, and sometimes outer layers of the edible egg flesh comes off with the shell. Often, all three happen.

I've seen people peel them effortlessly, so there must be some sort of trick. What is it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Is there a secret to peeling boiled eggs? Rarely I can do it without issue, but most times I gently caress it up in a number of different ways. Sometimes the shell breaks off in minuscule crumbs and takes forever, sometimes the amnion doesn't separate, and sometimes outer layers of the edible egg flesh comes off with the shell. Often, all three happen.

I've seen people peel them effortlessly, so there must be some sort of trick. What is it?

Roll it on the countertop with light pressure then pick away under some cool running water. Also, not overboiling them helps the peel come off easier.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Mak0rz posted:

Peeling the eggs has more to do with how it is cooked than your technique for the most part.

I use this method and generally, they come out well. When they don't they are bastardly to peel.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_perfect_hard_boiled_eggs/

ninja: beaten, but overboiling is the true enemy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I think it's more to do with how you cook them than how you peel them. Old eggs will supposedly also make for easier to peel hard boiled eggs.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The secret is to boil them at the right temperature for the right amount of time. If theyre coming off in tiny sticky pieces there is nothing you can do, it just wasn't boiled perfectly.

edit: Oh hey, some knowledgeable egg people.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Sticking them in icewater immediately post-boiling helps a ton.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What happens if you buy a product then you find a coupon for it a day later? I bought some stuff at Pep Boys, the total was almost $100, then I found a coupon that gives me 15 off any purchase over $75. If I bring it in what will they tell me?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

What happens if you buy a product then you find a coupon for it a day later? I bought some stuff at Pep Boys, the total was almost $100, then I found a coupon that gives me 15 off any purchase over $75. If I bring it in what will they tell me?

If the coupon would have been good at the time of purchase, they'll probably refund you the difference, although it may just be store credit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

Some baller credit cards have price drop protection for that sort of thing. Though I'm not sure if they cover coupons.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

b0nes posted:

This, and a standard return are the 2 most common things a retail establishment that uses coupons deal with. As long as you have the receipt, there's a good chance they will give you the difference, even if it may be credit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You are a gigantic baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've never done any sort of table-top gaming before, but want to try it. None of my friends do it. Would it be best to check out a local hobby store, or just look around online for a group? I know that you can do it online, but is it as fun as a real-life meetup?