Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

JuHoZ posted:

Heh, professional Dave. Stuff looks actually pretty handy.

http://www.webhook.com/

I actually really love the look of Dave's new system. I might figure out how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Hakkesshu posted:

This is such a tired loving argument and is missing the point of what video games are about. It's an inclusive medium, and the use of cutscene is just as valid a way to tell a story as whatever systemic method you use. Just a lot of games do it poorly as the case may be.

I'd like to believe that in 40 years someone will have figured this out, like with comic books, which told a bunch of lovely genre stories until people realized that they could tell all kinds of stories. But then it occurred to me that even comic books use the layout of the panel and the color palette and dynamic poses and poo poo like that to help sell the story. Books use carefully chosen prose. Directors use mise en scene and shots. Rap uses rhythm and flow. Same with operas or oral chants or madrigals.

So I guess video games are movie musicals where everyone breaks into song every few minutes, which is indeed a valid way to tell a story, but hopefully not the apotheosis of the medium.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dark Souls 2 is good. Also there is no way this is not gonna make it onto GB's GOTY list, if anything at least for completely snubbing the previous Souls games and then liking them much later.

Name 10 games from 2014 better than Dark Souls 2

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dark Souls 2 is good. Also there is no way this is not gonna make it onto GB's GOTY list, if anything at least for completely snubbing the previous Souls games and then liking them much later.

Tower Souls Storm Fall aka Frog Fractions 2 Modern Warfare.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Tower Souls Storm Fall aka Frog Fractions 2 Modern Warfare.

That's 1 game!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_video_gaming

There's actually a bunch of stuff coming out this year but if DS2 doesn't make it onto their GOTY list something is up

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Jazz Punk was p alright.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I noticed it a little bit a few hours in, but I'm 24 hours into Dark Souls 2 and the audio just seems hosed. For the last few bosses, no music plays and the only thing I really hear is the sound of attacks hitting me or the enemies. Outside of bosses, music doesn't play and some audio cues don't fire off, like when I die, enter a new area, or smash stuff. Combine that with weird lighting issues (light bleeding through solid walls) and random stuff like being able to talk to NPCs through walls and I can't help but think this game was rushed out too fast. It's really kind of crazy. I hope by the time the PC version rolls out, these issues are addressed.

I'm loving it, technical issues aside. It's basically more Dark Souls, which I guess is all I wanted.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F is slated for an expanded rerelease in 2014. This year in gaming is saved. Also, Financial Year of Luigi is going to end. We near the final page of the dark middle chapter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unironically excited for the new Domino's Pizza Hatsune Miku game expansion. I have a history of putting Vocaloid music where it does not belong.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 17, 2014

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Booga posted:

Jazz Punk was p alright.

It was really funny, but like Stick of Truth I'll probably won't be playing it again.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I don't think Dark Souls 2 has been anywhere near as good as the either Demon Souls or Dark Souls, the rehashed boss fights get old really fast.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls 2 being out in a month's time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Machine posted:

I noticed it a little bit a few hours in, but I'm 24 hours into Dark Souls 2 and the audio just seems hosed. For the last few bosses, no music plays and the only thing I really hear is the sound of attacks hitting me or the enemies. Outside of bosses, music doesn't play and some audio cues don't fire off, like when I die, enter a new area, or smash stuff. Combine that with weird lighting issues (light bleeding through solid walls) and random stuff like being able to talk to NPCs through walls and I can't help but think this game was rushed out too fast. It's really kind of crazy. I hope by the time the PC version rolls out, these issues are addressed.

I'm loving it, technical issues aside. It's basically more Dark Souls, which I guess is all I wanted.

This is happening to me as well, and I'm guessing it's related to disc streaming. Sometimes I'm completely unable to enter the menu for like 10 seconds because it's loading something. I think it's an awesome game, but they never should have put it out on the old consoles - more often than not they negatively impact the experience. I've died several times because the run button didn't trigger properly due to a framerate hitch. UNACCEPTABLEEEE

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Sendo posted:

I don't think Dark Souls 2 has been anywhere near as good as the either Demon Souls or Dark Souls, the rehashed boss fights get old really fast.

I think Dark souls 2 is better than dark souls, some of the bosses have been basic but they felt more like a gear/skill check before the main bosses.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls 2 being out in a month's time.
Yeah geez, sounds like those preview hardware kits are like a decade old too? what the gently caress FROM

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know that entire mechanic they showed in the previews where some areas are pitch black, and you'll have to consider the risk/reward factor of bringing a torch or not? Turns out the old consoles can't handle that level of dynamic lighting. You can see just fine in most areas, even the ones that are supposed to be dark, and torches are there purely as some sort of weird gimmick that sometimes affects stuff in very limited capacities if you light sconces.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 17, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The real Dark Souls 2 starts here in about a month.

I wonder when people are gonna realizes that the souls games are just the king fields games remade.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

The real Dark Souls 2 starts here in about a month.

I wonder when people are gonna realizes that the souls games are just the king fields games remade.

They're to the souls games what DOOM is to Call of Duty. It's kind of the same concept, but not really comparable on anything more than a surface level. King's Field still owns, though.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

They're to the souls games what DOOM is to Call of Duty. It's kind of the same concept, but not really comparable on anything more than a surface level. King's Field still owns, though.

You are crazy it's literally a punishing game set in nonlinear world full of horrible monsters and rear end in a top hat traps that force you to walk around everywhere with a shield up or get arrowed in the face. Uh oh fighting skeletons so my sword is not as good as that bashing weapon. Oh no got hit by an acid cloud and all my armor broke and now I'm naked in the middle of a dark swamp and I'm going to die. Kings field is totally 100% an unforgiving animation priority souls style game.

Hell in kf4 you fight the abyss.

It's like I've said from soft had been making high speed giant robot games and grim punishing dark fantasy games from the beginning.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 17, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
FROM are trying to evolve video games naturally.

Small mutations in the code leading to interesting changes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Oh don't get me wrong i love from soft for it. I could play kings field/souls games and armored core/another century's episode games forever. I hope they never ever change.

I just have to laugh at people talking about how much the games have changed when they really have just been following the same souls formula as their ps1 series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's so much more to the Souls games, though. King's Field is Dark Souls distilled into its most basic form; swinging at a monster and avoiding its attacks while exploring caves. Yes, it's the same framework, but I'd definitely argue it's changed and evolved to a massive degree.

I can see someone who really loves the Souls games go back to King's Field and go "what the gently caress is this basic-rear end poo poo"

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 17, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Dark Souls 2 isn't as good as the first two. The world is laid out poorly and it's overall too easy.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Overbite posted:

Dark Souls 2 isn't as good as the first two. The world is laid out poorly and it's overall too easy.

The King's Field for Casuals.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Overbite posted:

How is it laid out poorly? It's not easier, you just got better at the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

You know that entire mechanic they showed in the previews where some areas are pitch black, and you'll have to consider the risk/reward factor of bringing a torch or not? Turns out the old consoles can't handle that level of dynamic lighting. You can see just fine in most areas, even the ones that are supposed to be dark, and torches are there purely as some sort of weird gimmick that sometimes affects stuff in very limited capacities if you light sconces.

Apparently even the network test demo had the lighting in, so who knows what the hell happened. Hopefully it's there in the PC version.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Overbite posted:

I am definitely having more trouble with early bosses than I ever had in Dark Souls, save for Capra Demon.

Edit: Did you play Demon Souls?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 17, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Considering like 3 other games have even come out at this point, I totally can't. But Souls games still look like the antithesis of fun to me. I'll watch Brad rage out at those treasure lizards though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Treasure lizards is a way better name for them. Dark Souls II is amazing, but it's way too early for GOTY-gazing. I think the Vinny-Patrick-Brad voting block will be friendly to DS2, but who knows how all of these kickstarter games will turn out. 2012 to 2013 had them go from two indie games on their list to five.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Overbite posted:

Did you try using whatever the item is that makes the game tougher? I haven't looked into it at all yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've definitely had more trouble with some bosses in 2 than I ever had with any of the ones in Dark Souls. I can see the reasoning that the regular gameplay is maybe a bit easier, but, and I haven't factchecked this, the areas seem smaller and it seems that there are more bonfires strewn closer together. But there are also more areas overall, and more ways to go at any given point, so I think it balances out. It seems harder in different ways, like the fact that healing sucks rear end, enemies are more aggressive, and you're more sluggish in general, but so far I disagree that it's easier overall. Apparently NG+ is out of control, also.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

FutonForensic posted:

I've been trying to hoard all the Australian beef emails but it's just so much. :gonk: Anyone remember the podcast it started in?

Someone already compiled them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qs7fTTA9n4

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

One of the things that made Dark Souls 1 was that bosses had a lot more HP if you had a crappy weapon. There are some less than great weapons, but most everything still has good damage. Enough to be relevant 20 hours in. Compare that to Dark Souls where Black Knight Halberd was way better than Drake Sword, Drake Sword was way better than Long Sword, and if you're using Longsword when you hit Quelaag you're in for a world of pain.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oops

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Studio posted:

One of the things that made Dark Souls 1 was that bosses had a lot more HP if you had a crappy weapon. There are some less than great weapons, but most everything still has good damage. Enough to be relevant 20 hours in. Compare that to Dark Souls where Black Knight Halberd was way better than Drake Sword, Drake Sword was way better than Long Sword, and if you're using Longsword when you hit Quelaag you're in for a world of pain.

For some reason I quite often found Gaping Dragon to be a slog and a half. He's not a hard boss by any means but if you can't put out damage boy is he a boring one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Studio posted:

A +10 Longsword isn't a bad weapon at all for Quelaag. Aside from a few exceptions the quality of a weapon depends mostly on you liking the moveset it has. Almost everything is viable if you upgrade it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Andrast posted:

A +10 Longsword isn't a bad weapon at all for Quelaag. Aside from a few exceptions the quality of a weapon depends mostly on you liking the moveset it has. Almost everything is viable if you upgrade it.

Yeah but think of how people reach Blight Town. Most of them didn't go back up after killing Gaping Dragon since it seems natural to keep proceeding (Do you really want to proceed through the depths backwards?). The game naturally has you in a terrible spot, and if you want to have a good chance at the boss as a newbie you want to reverse, even though it seems unnatural. You also needed the souls and the Large Titanite for it.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm just hoping that the success of the Souls series will make more devs and publishers take a stab at creating games that play similarly. I don't even care if they copy the mechanics and the gameplay almost 1-to-1, I just want more games like Dark Souls and less games like Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim. I don't even play 90% of the singleplayer games released these days because they require so little thought to actually play that I breeze through them without really thinking. And I don't mean that Dark Souls is good because it's hard, it's good because the game actually expects you to think a little.

Hopefully every game from now on will have animation priority. Then Jeff will finally quit video games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Studio posted:

Yeah but think of how people reach Blight Town. Most of them didn't go back up after killing Gaping Dragon since it seems natural to keep proceeding (Do you really want to proceed through the depths backwards?). The game naturally has you in a terrible spot, and if you want to have a good chance at the boss as a newbie you want to reverse, even though it seems unnatural. You also needed the souls and the Large Titanite for it.

I accidentally went to blighttown through valley of the drakes with the master key. Then I proceeded to go upward towards the depths because I didn't know any better. :downs:

Did you know that you can't open the door between blighttown and the depths from the blighttown side? I do, because that meant I had to go back down after climbing all the way up. After that I went through the great hollow and ash lake. :suicide:

For some reason I didn't really like Blighttown during my first Dark souls run.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Hakkesshu posted:

You've clearly not made it to Blighttown and Tomb of the Giant's bastard child. :suicide:

• Locked thread