Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

concerned mom posted:

Not literally everyone is looking for the plane.

Posted from my search and rescue ship in the south china seas

well of course not everyone is, but there's going to be more resources dedicated to it that would normally be dedicated to other areas. it just needs to create a weakness in other defenses, not make them disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lobok posted:

If it's never found, this thing is going to become a legend passed down from generation to generation. Papa pilots will scare their young'ins into brushing their teeth every night, or else Ghost Plane will snatch you away forever. Camp counsellors will tell tall tales around the fire about how if you listen closely there's still a faint rumble of Ghost Plane flying overhead, always watching us.

Call off the search. This is how I want it to end

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Haha of course it had to be The Guardian to put up some poo poo like that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lobok posted:

If it's never found, this thing is going to become a legend passed down from generation to generation. Papa pilots will scare their young'ins into brushing their teeth every night, or else Ghost Plane will snatch you away forever. Camp counsellors will tell tall tales around the fire about how if you listen closely there's still a faint rumble of Ghost Plane flying overhead, always watching us.
Coming this fall to a theater near you...

The words "good night" will never mean the same after you watch this movie...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So I just thought of something really obvious. If some terrorists hijack a plane and does nothing with it for a week or two, you know what they're probably going to do with it? Nothing. Just hide it really well so people keep looking for it. Then while everyone's on the lookout for a plane, you derail some trains, set off carbombs, kill some politicians, just anything like that that has nothing to do with planes because everyone will be busy and focused on trying to find the plane and mostly putting other security matters on the back burner.

are you developmentally disabled

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So I just thought of something really obvious. If some terrorists hijack a plane and does nothing with it for a week or two, you know what they're probably going to do with it? Nothing. Just hide it really well so people keep looking for it. Then while everyone's on the lookout for a plane, you derail some trains, set off carbombs, kill some politicians, just anything like that that has nothing to do with planes because everyone will be busy and focused on trying to find the plane and mostly putting other security matters on the back burner.

Ah yes, the "Die Hard 3."

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

PleasureKevin posted:

Some US experts are strongly pointing to pilot suicide, but from everything I hear about the captain, he does not sound like the "type". They say he was going into the deepest part if the ocean so the plane would never be found and it could never definitively be ruled suicide, and his family would get insurance. Unfortunately this does kind of passes Occam's razor compared with everything else. But if a guy like this is capable of this kind if calculated evil, help us all.

Why else would they not want the plane salvaged? The disabled tracking, disappearing just at the handover between control zones, the carefully plotted course that skirts radar areas, and the (assumed) final cruise into the furthest reaches over the Indian ocean show a lot of effort was put into making the wreck unfindable.

Let's say it was an electronic hijacking. No one on board had any link or knowledge of what happens. The malacious software takes over at the most opportune time, ascends to above 40, 000 feet to kill everyone on board, and then flies on full of corpses to the deepest trench in a remote ocean so that the incriminating USB flash-drive will never be found and they'll have no chance to patch the exploits used. It was a test hijacking, is what I'm saying, a little proof-of-concept of a digital terrorism idea, carefully crafted to leave no fingerprints...

:tinfoil:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Warrahooyaargh posted:

I assumed this was a joke, but it's on PPRUNE. This is perfect.

Holy poo poo that's hilarious

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah... From that map just after your post it should look roughly like this, I think:

Also radar blips can happen, so it may never have done that sharp turn.

That's something I noticed as well. I only assume the complete arc was not filled in because it's being actively searched.

Wasn't there an initial report that the Vietnamese detected the plane crash around Phu Quoc? The flighpath and satellite ping arc indicates that it's more likely outside the Meikong Delta.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And now, prepare to be... neglected! 😈

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

LastCaress posted:

The aircraft was transporting 4 tons of mangosteens to China

mods knew

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
John McAffee hacked the plane from his secret lair, everyone on board is now his sex slave and hopped up on bath salts.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Maybe it was a blue whale that jizzed all over the controls when they reached a radar-evading altitude.

jscolon2.0 posted:

slam whale
holy grail

:siren: PLANE FOUND :siren:

Turns out they landed in Cuba! Everyone is safe and Havana good time.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

bathroom sounds posted:

How loving metal would it be if they hijacked the plane to a secret terrorist base and summarily executed all the passengers

Why would any terrorist throw away perfectly good slave labor and hostages like that?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

toe knee hand posted:

no one other than malaysia has admitted to detecting the plane, have they? is there anything to suggest that it even left malaysian airspace? that arc from the satellite ping included malaysia too, they just didn't have that bit of it highlighted in red.

Pilot has a secret landing strip in malaysia where he's going to cut the nose/cockpit off this plane and loving show everyone who talked poo poo about his 3-monitor flight sim rig.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I just can't wait for the made for TV movie(s) about this.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

booshi posted:

The Love Crash: A neglected and battered 777 tries to file for a divorce from her alcoholic abusive 747 spouse. Now she's missing and everyone's worried.

A Lifetime Special, tonight at 8.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i wonder what happened to this plane

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

do we know what happened yet?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

where is the plane??

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

THS posted:

do we know what happened yet?

yes

hope this helps

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

booshi posted:

Home Alone 5 - Terminally Delayed

Kevin, once again separated from his family, is stuck on a plane near the runway waiting to take off. The pilot has a heart attack and dies and the plane spends 2 weeks in a taxilane with everyone thinking it took off before its found by kevins mom. Kevin is 46 years old.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
KEVIN!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct answer...

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

PleasureKevin posted:

Some US experts are strongly pointing to pilot suicide, but from everything I hear about the captain, he does not sound like the "type". They say he was going into the deepest part if the ocean so the plane would never be found and it could never definitively be ruled suicide, and his family would get insurance. Unfortunately this does kind of passes Occam's razor compared with everything else. But if a guy like this is capable of this kind if calculated evil, help us all.

This isn't how Occam's razor works.

People think it means "the simplest explanation is the correct one" when really it means "the simplest explanation is correct". In other words it's not about trying to find the solution to a problem but giving the most simple solution possible which sums up the problem.

So Occam's razor would not state "the pilot hijacked the plane to commit suicide", nor would it state "he stole the plane" and nor would it state "the plane crashed".

Occam's razor would simply say: "We do not know where the plane is". This is completely, totally, irrefutably 100% fact. Everything else is not a fact, just a theory.

Just saying :)

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

duckmaster posted:

This isn't how Occam's razor works.

People think it means "the simplest explanation is the correct one" when really it means "the simplest explanation is correct". In other words it's not about trying to find the solution to a problem but giving the most simple solution possible which sums up the problem.

So Occam's razor would not state "the pilot hijacked the plane to commit suicide", nor would it state "he stole the plane" and nor would it state "the plane crashed".

Occam's razor would simply say: "We do not know where the plane is". This is completely, totally, irrefutably 100% fact. Everything else is not a fact, just a theory.

Just saying :)

drat, look at this nerd.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

THS posted:

where is the plane??

what this guy said (asked)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

where is the plane??
its in the ocean. that's why they can't find it

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
a friend has been snap-chatting every single plane he sees with "IS THAT IT?!"

we have a shitload of planes flying around here, being kinda close to Logan and all.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yes

hope this helps

reported to the authorities.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's no secret landing strip. A 777 is huge and can't land in some bulldozed strip of forest somewhere.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
Terror Cell at Abandoned Krygyz Airstrip Anxiously Awaiting News of Missing Hijacked Airliner

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Vladimir Putin posted:

There's no secret landing strip. A 777 is huge and can't land in some bulldozed strip of forest somewhere.

Don't listen to Vladimir Putin.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

booshi posted:

a friend has been snap-chatting every single plane he sees with "IS THAT IT?!"

we have a shitload of planes flying around here, being kinda close to Logan and all.

"Holy crap you found it!! You need to contact someone right away!!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The pilot definitely has a secret landing strip, but you can also refer to it as a treasure trail.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the plane was the real bitcoin ceo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maybe they shot it down because they were afraid it'd get crashed into a high population area but they don't want to admit they did that

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

FuhrerHat posted:

the plane was the real bitcoin ceo

Wasn't this on Person of Interest a few weeks ago?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

WATCH LOWTAX START A loving WAR

sorry :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
that plane is somewhere underwater and thats why they cant find it

hope this clears some things up guys