Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
So many sound effects in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the foley guys had a fuckin' field day with Jack Reacher. That movie is full of WHOOSH CRACK WHOOSH WHISH WHOOSH and I love it and/or am annoyed by it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

In the Ghostbusters novelization, zeddermore is an ex-Marine Military intelligence and electronic warfare officer.

I've always preferred that backstory.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Mar 17, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Ghostbusters, the gargoyles are faker-looking and more poorly-composited than just about anything CGI I can think of.

80s composting in general in pretty awful on modern resolutions and media formats. In Back to the Future the iconic scene of Marty lifting his hand and watching it disappear is downright hilarious because the hand is so obviously inserted over the footage. Same with the hoverboards in 2, people jump in the air and then a pair of poorly-composited legs land on a hoverboard that totally wasn't in the original shot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speaking of Ghostbusters, the gargoyles are faker-looking and more poorly-composited than just about anything CGI I can think of.

Yeah, I noticed that a while back when the BR for Ghostbusters 1 came out. The rest of the effects actually hold up quite a bit but those gargoyle dogs just look like garbage.

Another Jack Reacher quibble is the whole opening fake out where you follow Jai Courtney as he murders a bunch of people. Then it follows the cops as they track down the shooter only to reveal it to be the Sheriff from The Heart, She Holler. The problem with this fake out is that every other character believes he's guilty but you, the audience, knows he not. They really should have kept you in the dark until Jack figures it out himself.

CJacobs posted:

The one thing dragging down Jack Reacher for me is that it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a Serious Tom Cruise Movie or a Mission Impossible Tom Cruise Movie. Jack Reacher, the character, goes around being a wiseass to everyone and poo poo like that fight scene happens, but the plot takes itself super seriously and it created a weird kind of disconnect where I wasn't sure whether I should take it seriously or not.

You mean like the scene where Werner Herzog shows up and starts talking about chewing his own fingers off? He's being super threatening and the scene ends with them killing an underling but I couldn't tell if he was being serious when he was telling his story.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 17, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

You mean like the scene where Werner Herzog shows up and starts talking about chewing his own fingers off? He's being super threatening and the scene ends with them killing an underling but I couldn't tell if he was being serious when he was telling his story.

I half-expected the guy to just undermine that air of menace and ask 'can I have some ice'?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Smiling Jack posted:

In the Ghostbusters novelization, zeddermore is an ex-Marine Military intelligence and electronic warfare officer.

I've always preferred that backstory.

I don't know, I like the implication that literally any random person can be a Ghostbuster.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't know, I like the implication that literally any random person can be a Ghostbuster.

That's clearly how they play it off in the film. Murray's character is a bunk scientist. They all act like plumbers or contractors, trying to gouge prices and apathetically getting their work done. Their excitement eventually wears out in exchange for an attitude that reflects the monotony of routine.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The ghostbusters show they used to do at universal studios presented it as if the audience were potential franchisees ready to start their own ghost busting branch.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
The scene in Heat (1995) towards the beginning where how Waingro escaped McCauley and his crew right before they were about to execute him. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I mean, what in the gently caress.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I was rewatching The Dark Knight recently. In the beginning the joker robs the mob bank and that one mob dude with the shotgun gets shot in the legs and lies there screaming at him. The joker puts a grenade with some string on the pin in his mouth and walks away with the string in his hand. Why the hell does the mob guy not spit out the grenade and crawl away? He just lies there with the grenade in his mouth looking concerned while the joker strolls away, enters a bus and drives away pulling the pin out of the grenade...

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I watched Babylon A.D. last night and one thing that always irritates me in movies/television is where there's a character about to get shot and then another character shoots the person about to do the shooting. You hear a gunshot and then SURPRISE! the person you didn't expect to get shot gets shot. I really don't understand why this is still a thing and why it continues to be used so frequently. Come to think of it, they also did it in Romeo Must Die which I saw for the first time this weekend.

Another irritating thing about Babylon A.D. is that it didn't have a sequel. They could have done some really neat things with that story.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

The ghostbusters show they used to do at universal studios presented it as if the audience were potential franchisees ready to start their own ghost busting branch.

See, it's a perfectly simple hook right there. New city, new cast, keep the rules and the basic equipment and make new stuff as the plot demands. According to the current IDW comic books, the rookie guy from the PS3/Xbox/PC game went on to found a franchise in Chicago. That comic is probably the most interesting Ghostbusters thing ever as it is long-form and will pull from any show it wants to and do actually new things sometimes.

That game ruled a lot as a multiplayer game and a really compelling ghostbusting simulator, but holy poo poo did it suffer the problem I was bitching about last page. The whole game is "hey, remember in the movie when we went here and did this??" and you do the same poo poo you've already seen yet it's supposed to be a sequel to the movies. Ghostbusters does not need the same cast in the same hotel and library doing the same things all the time!

I guess my point is lightsabers are cool, but I wouldn't want to see Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford in every single movie/show/videogame, you know? Same goes for ghostbusting equipment in my mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Light Gun Man posted:

I guess my point is lightsabers are cool, but I wouldn't want to see Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford in every single movie/show/videogame, you know? Same goes for ghostbusting equipment in my mind.

Except they almost always try and shoehorn both of them into Star Wars games. That and the Battle of Hoth. You can bet your rear end if a game is set during the original trilogy you're going to end up at Hoth.

gently caress a new X-Wing game could be baller but it would just be the first Death Star Trench, Hoth, and the second trench run with some boring battles in a city scape in between.

Also my phone can't make up it's mind whether it wants to correct Hoth into both or high.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

See, it's a perfectly simple hook right there. New city, new cast, keep the rules and the basic equipment and make new stuff as the plot demands. According to the current IDW comic books, the rookie guy from the PS3/Xbox/PC game went on to found a franchise in Chicago. That comic is probably the most interesting Ghostbusters thing ever as it is long-form and will pull from any show it wants to and do actually new things sometimes.

That game ruled a lot as a multiplayer game and a really compelling ghostbusting simulator, but holy poo poo did it suffer the problem I was bitching about last page. The whole game is "hey, remember in the movie when we went here and did this??" and you do the same poo poo you've already seen yet it's supposed to be a sequel to the movies. Ghostbusters does not need the same cast in the same hotel and library doing the same things all the time!

Except that the only reason they even existed at all was because of the Shandor building, so a franchise wouldn't work outside of New York.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MrJacobs posted:

Except that the only reason they even existed at all was because of the Shandor building, so a franchise wouldn't work outside of New York.

I don't know, if there's one terror cult trying to summon an extradimensional god, there's probably more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

I don't know, if there's one terror cult trying to summon an extradimensional god, there's probably more.

In the first movie isn't the stuff mostly happening because of some kind of convergence?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

In the first movie isn't the stuff mostly happening because of some kind of convergence?

Yes, but the convergence is caused by Ivo Shandor deliberately designing his skyscraper to attract enough spiritual energy to set it off. The site of the convergence is determined by the location of the building, and if he hadn't built it the convergence wouldn't have happened at all.

E: Also, as we're talking about spirits in terms of science, if there had been competing Shandor buildings in different locations they would probably have split the energy to the point where the critical mass couldn't occur.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Yes, but the convergence is caused by Ivo Shandor deliberately designing his skyscraper to attract enough spiritual energy to set it off. The site of the convergence is determined by the location of the building, and if he hadn't built it the convergence wouldn't have happened at all.

E: Also, as we're talking about spirits in terms of science, if there had been competing Shandor buildings in different locations they would probably have split the energy to the point where the critical mass couldn't occur.

This depends entirely on the trending of the world's Twinkie supply.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

This depends entirely on the trending of the world's Twinkie supply.

Well looks like supernatural activity will be at a minimum for some time since Hostess died and the new ones arent made in the same quantity.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It was the filmmaker's original concept that there be a bunch of Ghostbusters franchises all over the world, not just in New York. They just didnt' go in that direction.

edit, from IMDB trivia:

quote:

According to Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis in the DVD Commentary, in Dan Aykroyd's original rough draft of the movie, the story was going to take place in the future and that there would be teams of Ghostbusters like there are paramedics and firefighters (thus explaining basing the Ghostbusters HQ in a firehouse). According to Reitman, such a film would cost "at least $300 million in 1984 dollars". So Harold Ramis was brought in to rewrite the script and bring it into modern times.

Dr. Clockwork has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Mar 17, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

And with the Shandor building destroyed, ghosts appear all over the world instead of new york. The Ghost Neobusters have to keep travelling to new and exotic locales to bust ghosts.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Shandor was focused on Zuul/Gozer, though. All things considered, Shandor was maybe more 'technology' focused than other cultists given Egon and Ray's jailhouse comparison of his building to high-tech gear. As such, there might be more traditional occultists out there trying to attract otherwordly entities through other means in ways that didn't directly affect one another.

Another potential counterpoint, the Shandor Building became a beacon that gained the attention of things that otherwise weren't drawn to the building and/or weakened the barrier between worlds. Even with it gone, this plane of existence was already up on everyone otherworldly being's radar. (Shandor's building as Sputnik, maybe?)

Also, perhaps what was once a thick swiss cheese-style barrier between worlds was averaged out and balanced down to that of cloth or tissue paper. There were no Shandor-style big holes to let the Zuul/Gozer level creatures so easily make it though, but now there were a lot of smaller and thinner gaps that all the lesser creatures could sneak in through.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

And with the Shandor building destroyed, ghosts appear all over the world instead of new york. The Ghost Neobusters have to keep travelling to new and exotic locales to bust ghosts.

The building was never destroyed, only the top few floors were. the building still exists and is probably a HUGE tourism boost for NYC "Come see the infamous world ending apoclypse apartment building overlooking fabulous Central Park."

JediTalentAgent posted:

Shandor was focused on Zuul/Gozer, though. All things considered, Shandor was maybe more 'technology' focused than other cultists given Egon and Ray's jailhouse comparison of his building to high-tech gear. As such, there might be more traditional occultists out there trying to attract otherwordly entities through other means in ways that didn't directly affect one another.

Another potential counterpoint, the Shandor Building became a beacon that gained the attention of things that otherwise weren't drawn to the building and/or weakened the barrier between worlds. Even with it gone, this plane of existence was already up on everyone otherworldly being's radar. (Shandor's building as Sputnik, maybe?)

Also, perhaps what was once a thick swiss cheese-style barrier between worlds was averaged out and balanced down to that of cloth or tissue paper. There were no Shandor-style big holes to let the Zuul/Gozer level creatures so easily make it though, but now there were a lot of smaller and thinner gaps that all the lesser creatures could sneak in through.

Of course there were ways and stuff to summon spirits without a giant gently caress-off supernatural radio tower. I mean the second movie had a literal wizard who could do crazy poo poo. The point is that the only way to make a GB franchise viable would be to have a giant beacon similar to Shandor's to keep business up and running. The only reason they stay employed in NYC is because off all the Shandor renovations and buildings throughout the city causing ghosts to appear on the regular.

Enough about my favorite movie and one of my favorite franchises though.

In the Dark Knight, Batman uses a drat superpowered big brother's wet dream to spy on every cell-phone user in the city to find the Joker. What pisses me off is that the goddamned BATMAN needs to do that to find the Joker when he is the WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE! He should have found Joker by himself using his own brilliance like Sherlock Holmes like he usually does in every other medium.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

In the Dark Knight, Batman uses a drat superpowered big brother's wet dream to spy on every cell-phone user in the city to find the Joker. What pisses me off is that the goddamned BATMAN needs to do that to find the Joker when he is the WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE! He should have found Joker by himself using his own brilliance like Sherlock Holmes like he usually does in every other medium.

That wasn't nearly as bad as him leaving the sonar glasses over his eyes when he found the joker. As well as somehow failing to beat the Joker into a puddle in seconds.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
No but armors and dogs or something.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You guys realise that Ghostbusters is a movie and if they wanted to make a Ghostbusters franchise concept work on film they just have to write a single line of dialog or something to justify it, right? if they even bothered with that. The canon of Ghostbusters is not an immutable text. 'Looks like the electric waves of positronic interference has created a weakening of the barrier between our world and the supernatural, jinkies gang!'

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You guys realise that Ghostbusters is a movie and if they wanted to make a Ghostbusters franchise concept work on film they just have to write a single line of dialog or something to justify it, right? if they even bothered with that. The canon of Ghostbusters is not an immutable text. 'Looks like the electric waves of positronic interference has created a weakening of the barrier between our world and the supernatural, jinkies gang!'

In my experience, fans always worry about continuity and minutae far more than creators.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There was a roleplaying game after the first one happened where the Ghostbusters went national and had agencies all over the country.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Why doesn't wolverine look like he's constantly wearing a grill?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaunab posted:

Canada's healthcare covered the cost of getting his teeth capped. The Dentist's mistake was in giving him a lifetime guarantee.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I figured they were dentures. Dude's like 150.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
He can regrow his entire body. No way in hell his teeth don't heal too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Because teeth aren't bones. :eng101:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Modern Day Hercules posted:

He can regrow his entire body. No way in hell his teeth don't heal too.

Bones naturally heal, but teeth don't. No one who has ever lost or snapped a tooth has ever regrown one.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Eyeballs, tongues and limbs generally don't grow back either but Wolverine grows those back all the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does Wolverine ever have healing errors? Like his arm gets broken and it heals too quickly before it can be set in the correct way so it's all crooked?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Does Wolverine ever have healing errors? Like his arm gets broken and it heals too quickly before it can be set in the correct way so it's all crooked?

Well, for the longest time his arm couldn't be broken so it never came up.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, during the period his adamantium was removed. I believe he was run over by a car and healed before the car stopped, leaving at least an arm crooked. He rebroke it to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Bones naturally heal, but teeth don't. No one who has ever lost or snapped a tooth has ever regrown one.

In fact, I don't think anyone on this forum has ever lost a tooth ever.

• Locked thread