Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Was gonna say, they don't look any better at extreme close up. Still a KLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
And therin lay the dangers of phone postin :doh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

And therin lay the dangers of phone postin :doh:

If it's on imgur, just put an "l" in lower-case after the filename, before the extension. Example: "img.jpg" becomes "imgl.jpg." There are other sizes, too, like H, T, and S.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I finally got my Remus exhaust on. Took me loving long enough, but it's done- had to delete the passenger pegs for it to fit. But it looks nice, sounds real nice, weighs a bit less. I just need to go get the engine remapped and it's good to go.

I'll post up some pics later.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finally got the headlamp working on the FZR. It shouldn't have been a difficult job but the workshop manual isn't all that informative and the wiring color codes are non-standard which ended up confusing the poo poo out of me. Turned out the HI-LO switch was tarnished from non use and just needed to be taken apart and cleaned. No problem. Oh wait, one of the bolts that holds it on had a stripped out head. No problem. Oh yeah, my drill batteries are almost dead and my charger is all the way dead.
I ended up drilling a bit and swapping batteries back and forth until I got through. Light works great now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bugdrvr posted:

Finally got the headlamp working on the FZR. It shouldn't have been a difficult job but the workshop manual isn't all that informative and the wiring color codes are non-standard which ended up confusing the poo poo out of me. Turned out the HI-LO switch was tarnished from non use and just needed to be taken apart and cleaned. No problem. Oh wait, one of the bolts that holds it on had a stripped out head. No problem. Oh yeah, my drill batteries are almost dead and my charger is all the way dead.
I ended up drilling a bit and swapping batteries back and forth until I got through. Light works great now.

Oh yeah that wheel should be at Xovaans by now.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yep! Bugdrvr is probably gonna stop by after the Chula junk yards, which hopefully he'll be joining us for. :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Yep! Bugdrvr is probably gonna stop by after the Chula junk yards, which hopefully he'll be joining us for. :)

Ugh. I went to my local yards yesterday looking for a mkii supra. If you see one with the flares, please let me know.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Got rear racks installed on my WR250. Now I can look silly with my bicycle panniers on a motorcycle, but at least now I have waterproof storage.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ugh. I went to my local yards yesterday looking for a mkii supra. If you see one with the flares, please let me know.

It was like 90 degrees so we couldn't scout much but I couldn't see anything at a glance :(

I did score a WC T5 from a '95 Camaro with the help of Bugdrvr though and that was awesome

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I ran up and down the import section on my miata search and didn't see any supras at all. Or miatas.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Replaced my stock clutch lever with a shorty, mostly because it was, erm, worn.

That pivot hole is a whole 1.2mm out of round, and the pivot is a further .3mm off.

Finding neutral just got a lot easier.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
New tire day, best day. Also please ignore my extremely messy garage.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Thats a 2014 FZ/MT-09, right? Did you wear out the factory tires already or are you just upgrading?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was wondering that, how do you wear out the tyres on a 2013/14 bike so fast?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chip seal roadway?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Then again, if I had anything less than PR3's on my bike when I was commuting every day on my zrx I would've worn them out in a lot less than a year.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I was wondering that, how do you wear out the tyres on a 2013/14 bike so fast?

It's not hard to put 6k miles on a bike in a couple of months.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's not hard to put 6k miles on a bike in a couple of months.

Really depends on where you live, but 6k in a couple of months is a TON under normal use scenarios.

Last night I ran a new fuel line, tightened up some loose exhaust clamps, raised the idle a touch and fixed some creakiness in my brake lever. Nothing big, but every time I get this thing dialed in just a tiny bit more it makes me very happy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Really depends on where you live, but 6k in a couple of months is a TON under normal use scenarios.

Yeah, that's actually quite high for any personal vehicle at all, let alone a motorcycle. The DOT figures that the average car is driven about 12,500 miles a year. If you're putting on 6k in 3 months you're getting into traveling salesman sort of mileage. I live near enough to work that I can bicycle, and I bet I only travel about 5000 miles a year by car and bike combined.

And if you're comparing yourself to the general population of motorcyclists in the USA, forget about it. I saw a Craigslist ad for a couple years old R1200, in immaculate condition with every possible Ewan McGregor addon, where the guy kept on gushing about how much he "loved this bike." On the clock: 935 miles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
6k in a few months happens when you don't work much and are doing 300-500mi loops a few times a week for twisty roads, then throw in a Cali trip that clocks 1500mi in three days. It's pretty easy if you love to ride and work a job with a lot of down time.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I thought my front brakes felt a little funny once when I was riding last week.

Glad I went down to double check on that.

(Rear brake pads look virginal, and both rotors measure 0.02" > minimum)

e. Amazon Prime'd some EBC FA345HH pads. Gotta love next day shipping.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 18, 2014

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!

makka-setan posted:

Thats a 2014 FZ/MT-09, right? Did you wear out the factory tires already or are you just upgrading?

Yeah '14 FZ-09, picked it up in November. Little bit of both. There was still some life left in them but the grip on the stock Dunlops wasn't that great, especially in rain. Had about 4500 on them, lots of commuting miles and a few road trips. Got the new tires mounted but haven't had a chance to test them out yet, been raining all day.

ButtFaceMcCrackin fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 18, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
New tire day IS best day. I'mma pick em up from Fedex office at lunch. (Bastards never even got out of the truck yesterday.)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Pulled the battery and stuck it on a float charger because I neglected to turn off the heated grips the other day :doh:

My bike made the saddest noises trying to start up this morning :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You ought to run the switch off of something like the headlight, not your battery.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've done the same thing many times because I was too lazy to T into the ignition-on feed and just wired them directly to the battery. Luckily my driveway is steep enough that even a zrx1200 will bump-start rolling down it!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

You ought to run the switch off of something like the headlight, not your battery.

Or a relay triggered off of the headlight / taillight line. Having heated grips and headlights on the same wire can pop fuses.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I assumed it was relayed. I wouldn't trust grip heater current through a switch. But yes, relayed off of the headlight or w/e.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

OSU_Matthew posted:

My bike made the saddest noises trying to start up this morning :(

Trying to crank with a low batt can kill your starter and/or sprag clutch, neither of which are generally cheap / easy fixes ('specially the sprag.)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Installed my new shorty levers today:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the advantage of short levers over the longer stock ones?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you 2 finger the brakes/clutch, they're a shitload more comfortable and have a bit more aggressive bend outwards to give you better leverage.

They're also much more adjustable than most stock levers, which is huge if you don't have hands that are exactly sized right for the bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Or in my case, they just fit my hand better and ensure more consistent feel/engagement of the levers. The stock levers were so long I could fit 8 fingers across them and if I moved my hand off the bar (particularly left hand, to flip up or down my visor), had to be especially careful to make sure my hand was on the same section of lever when I put my hand back on the grip, lest I change the amount of fulcrum I had. The new levers are still 3-4 finger levers for me, and now my fingers are consistently falling in the same place on the lever each time I put my hand on the bar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

If you 2 finger the brakes/clutch, they're a shitload more comfortable and have a bit more aggressive bend outwards to give you better leverage.

They're also much more adjustable than most stock levers, which is huge if you don't have hands that are exactly sized right for the bike.

Can't overstate this enough, if you like to ride like a dong then this is critical. Having a clutch lever too close to the bar really hampered me on my ninja until I sorted it out. I had a suspension tech guy tell me the ideal distance is so just the first segment of your fingers can grip the lever, with the first knuckles doing the pulling. Otherwise you either have to move your hand forward on the grip to reach the lever, or you're trying to squash it back with your fist. It's a tiny thing, but an immense advantage and I'm not sure why more fancy expensive bikes don't have adjustable levers on both sides.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

All levers are adjustable! Simply remove and whack with hammer a few times. Problem solved! :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I thought my front brakes felt a little funny once when I was riding last week.

Glad I went down to double check on that.

(Rear brake pads look virginal, and both rotors measure 0.02" > minimum)

e. Amazon Prime'd some EBC FA345HH pads. Gotta love next day shipping.

Man, what was I even worried about? Literally dozens of miles left on those pads.

Now... Any hints for pressing in the pistons on ZTL brakes? The manual so helpfully suggests "Push pistons in with a suitable tool such as a clean paint scraper."

(Seriously, though, I'm glad I caught that before I decided to go on a ~150 mile ride on Friday.)

e. Forgot picture.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I would clean the hell out of the pistons and usually I just squish them back in with my fingers. Remove the reservoir cap and put a towel around it to soak up any brake fluid that might leak out as the pistons force fluid back into the reservoir (and cause it to overflow).

Im also kind of anal so I tend to force all the pistons out and clean them/inspect the seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FWIW pushing the pistons back against the master cylinder is Not A Good Thing for every component involved. I don't give a gently caress on cars and do it anyway, but on bikes I prefer to open the bleed screw and push them back. Also means you don't have to worry about trying to siphon down the fluid in the reservoir. Especially if you have a cast alloy reservoir which is painted, as opposed to the plastic sort.

Obviously, don't do this unless you have some kind of hose to put over the bleed screw and direct the fluid somewhere other than your bike :v: