Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

euphronius posted:

There was a rally point, wasn't there.

The rally point was the bus. So they had a plan, just not a backup plan.

The had the same plan on the farm (cars loaded with supplies) but no backup rendezvous point. They just happened to guess on a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They are operating under the assumption that DC is still full of mucky-mucks.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

DecentHairJelly posted:

A little off topic but yeah, what is that guy's deal? He claims to know the secret behind the zombies or a cure or some poo poo and when questioned about it he's all "It's classified :colbert:"

The second he said that Glenn should have just pointed that rifle at him and threatened to shoot him. How or why would that information be classified? There's no government or economy or anything to be compromised with the open release of that kind of revelation. I hope that motherfucker gets killed before he can reveal his secret to anyone, assuming he actually knows what he claims to.

As the omniscient viewer, yes.

"Sure, I'll just give the classification agency a call. They'll straighten this whole mess right ouON THE loving GROUND AND SPILL, FATTIE!"

But I think Glenn at that point didn't care and was a bit feverish to boot. And he was just concerned with Maggie.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Can you point to evidence that isn't stupid and poorly written?
I don't recall there being a massive infection and die-off/subsequent re-animation in the series.
Most of the zombies were made when bitten or killed in other traumas, or so I thought.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Well we did kinda start the show after all the poo poo had hit the fan and there were hospital parking lots full of more dead bodies than they could store.

Also, I don't recall Doctor Mullet ever saying he knew the cure, just that he knew the cause, which could be classified. Hypothetically because it was caused by some wacky lab being paid by the gubmint to make biological weapons. I don't actually think that's the cause myself, and I don't think it'll ever get revealed, since that tends to be the tradition with zombie media.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

spikenigma posted:

As the omniscient viewer, yes.

"Sure, I'll just give the classification agency a call. They'll straighten this whole mess right ouON THE loving GROUND AND SPILL, FATTIE!"

But I think Glenn at that point didn't care and was a bit feverish to boot. And he was just concerned with Maggie.

It just seemed to me like a silly thing to tease Glenn with especially with him at the end of his wits after losing his home and his special lady.

:mad: I'm leaving.
:clint: Wait, we're on a secret mission!
:mad: Yeah, what about?
:colbert: That's classified.
:mad: Later.

I guess it makes more sense if you look at it as the writers teasing us, the viewers, about the possibility of a cure or whatever but it still bugged me.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
At this point finding a cure wouldn't really accomplish anything, at least in the scope of the story we've been following.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

fullroundaction posted:

At this point finding a cure wouldn't really accomplish anything, at least in the scope of the story we've been following.

Pretty much, they have no global distribution network, and it's not going to save them from getting teared apart limb from limb.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

The second he said that Glenn should have just pointed that rifle at him and threatened to shoot him. How or why would that information be classified? There's no government or economy or anything to be compromised with the open release of that kind of revelation. I hope that motherfucker gets killed before he can reveal his secret to anyone, assuming he actually knows what he claims to.
Glenn made the right call and saw Autie McMullet was full of poo poo as to knowing anything about anything and that Muttonchop was just stupid and gullible enough to be fooled into acting as the guy's bodyguard for however long it takes them to get to D.C. Glenn has neither the time nor the inclination to try to disabuse these guys of their mistaken notions, he's got a woman to find.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Well Carol is now far and away the best character on the show, as if it wasn't clear enough already

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah it seemed like Mullet was BSing in order to stay alive. We saw how good with a gun he was.

He works nicely as a religious figure, as the show has not talked about religion in awhile. He is basically indistinguishable from a prophet selling eternal salvation. It's classified, hah.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

Oracle posted:

Glenn made the right call and saw Autie McMullet was full of poo poo as to knowing anything about anything and that Muttonchop was just stupid and gullible enough to be fooled into acting as the guy's bodyguard for however long it takes them to get to D.C. Glenn has neither the time nor the inclination to try to disabuse these guys of their mistaken notions, he's got a woman to find.

Well put.

I just really want to see someone ruin that guy's day.

/derail

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

euphronius posted:

Yeah it seemed like Mullet was BSing in order to stay alive. We saw how good with a gun he was.

He works nicely as a religious figure, as the show has not talked about religion in awhile. He is basically indistinguishable from a prophet selling eternal salvation. It's classified, hah.

What about Sargent Midriff?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saul in a wifebeater.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NESguerilla posted:

Seriously. How anyone could come to that conclusion is beyond me.

These are the same types that thought the governor was managing to get by hordes of zombies, climb the prison fences, feed rats to the zombies, then scale the fences and go back to camp

Austrian mook posted:

I still think no matter what the least logical thing about this and any zombie show is that zombies somehow managed to beat the military. Just never makes sense to me.

Well, as in every zombie flick, you need to remember that no one knows what zombies are or how to stop them right away. Add to that in this series everyone that dies comes back as a zombie unless they get some head trauma. So ya figure, soldiers getting bit, soldiers dying and coming back and others getting swarmed while hesitating to mow down their own people/best friends/comrades while panicking...I mean we've seen how fast things go to poo poo when just one person goes zombie already. Heck, we've already seen how the military folds in places when they're literally spread out over the entire world.

V I know, right?! When are we gonna find out?! What a cliff hanger!

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 17, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SocketWrench posted:

These are the same types that thought the governor was managing to get by hordes of zombies, climb the prison fences, feed rats to the zombies, then scale the fences and go back to camp

who set off the prison alarm

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

euphronius posted:

There was a rally point, wasn't there.

There was some sort of plan, given the bus and evacuation plans and all, but it kinda all went to poo poo as groups don't know if the others managed to escape or found the bus full of dead people, etc. Maybe the plan didn't stretch to "We're being overrun by a tank" and they thought they'd all leave together rather than whatever way someone could during a firefight.

I dunno, I don't worry on it too much. If they did have a rally point we'd have the same thing we do now just with one group, less places to explore, and people still bitching about them wandering

V
>>>>>>Joke

Your Head

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Austrian mook posted:

who set off the prison alarm
The skinny prisoner that Rick chased out in the second episode. The one Oscar shot in the generator room.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Someone should dig up the posts that were earnestly confused about the prison alarm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But who was feeding the rats to the zombies

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

But who was feeding the rats to the zombies

It was probably the helicopter pilot who lured the herd to Hershel's farm. He's been trying to kill Rick's crew from the start.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Godinster posted:

Well Carol is now far and away the best character on the show, as if it wasn't clear enough already

I do love her. Being a battered wife for years built up some kind of internal emotional endurance that prepared her well for this. Her inner tolerance for bullshit and nicety has reached capacity.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

LeJackal posted:

I do love her. Being a battered wife for years built up some kind of internal emotional endurance that prepared her well for this. Her inner tolerance for bullshit and nicety has reached capacity.

I just re-watched the first season and if there's one thing I loving hate, it's abusive relationships. I don't care how lovely you do it, just show a guy hitting his lover and I'm getting heated.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Bigass Moth posted:

No, the problem is that they left them alone in an unfamiliar place to defend themselves and a baby when zombies had been in that very area recently. They went to great lengths to display that one girl though the zombies were her friends and the other didn't want to kill them, so yes, it didn't make much sense that they should be expected to take care of themselves while the adults wander off to monologue at each other.

It's just another "Carl runs off on his own" situation which is ridiculous. In real life there is no loving way Carol leaves that baby behind.

I think it is a little far-fetched to leave the children completely alone again (especially after both previous times Tyreese and/or Carol left them they were attacked by a zombie almost immediately) but I got the sense that we were supposed to think that Carol had regained a little trust in Lizzie - when they were fighting the BBQ zombies Lizzie actually starts shooting at them, complete with a shot of Carol looking over at her and acknowledging it. Plus she says "I know what I have to do now" which secretly meant that she was going to kill Mika and Judith but to Carol may have sounded like she learned her lesson.

Mika also never had a problem with killing zombies and straight up says she can kill zombies but not other people.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I knew that little girl was dead the second she became the most reasonable person on the show. Nah, I don't wanna kill people, it's wrong. Why kill this deer when we've got pecans and peaches as far as the eye can see? Hey, I don't think we should go to that shady Terminus place, let's just stay here. My sister's dumb about the zombie stuff, but don't worry, I can talk her through it!

RIP Mika, the show's most logical thinker to date

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm just glad they did away with crazy dangerous kid so quickly after all the moral wrangling they went through in S2 over that dumbass Randall.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

The other important thing about killing (murdering?) Lizzie is that was a PERFECT way for Tyrese to forgive Carol. So now Tyrese isn't going to kill her and there as a good reason why he did so.

It was good writing maybe.

Yes, the way this episode, and the ones leading up to it, wove together those two separate issues (despite unfounded speculations that they were already related) was very well done. Possibly the most impressively piece of long-term plotting the show has done. As much as I've complained about the writing before, this episode nailed it.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think it is a little far-fetched to leave the children completely alone again (especially after both previous times Tyreese and/or Carol left them they were attacked by a zombie almost immediately)

That we saw. I think it's reasonable to assume that there's a larger number of times that the kids are left in each-other's care that don't result in a zombie encounter, but we aren't shown them, because this is The Walking Dead and not The Baby-sitters Club.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Vintersorg posted:

Again, this was the best episode of the entire series and more episodes need to be like this. Just hosed up decisions in a hosed up world.

This is what I want. People having to realize that they are in a new type of world. Certain characters want it to stay the way it was before the outbreak, but other characters, namely Carol, know it won't be like that again for quite a while.

I loved this episode, even though I was laughing at Lizzie's acting. And I love Carol as a character. Out of everyone, she has the most development. She is drastically different from the first season and it happened in a believable way. They really need to make these characters feel more dynamic, though. It'd be nice if there were two or three more characters who were as interesting as Carol.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Beth's actress is nearly 30.

No way. No wayyyy. :psyboom:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man just wanna echo that this was the best of the season. The reason I love poo poo like this is the psychological aspects, and this show, on paper, was supposed to focus on that, but this feels like the first time in a long while it's delivered on that.

I loved Carol having to talk Lizzie down with her own loving insane logic telling her the baby can't even walk yet and all that. Lizzie's actress isn't great but for a kid having a pretty hard role for anyone to pull of she did a decent enough job that I wasn't too distracted.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
We need some gifs of Tyrese's crazy expressions during this episode. :stare: :stonk: :stare:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PaganGoatPants posted:

We need some gifs of Tyrese's crazy expressions during this episode. :stare: :stonk: :stare:

I remember peeking at this thread when it was live watching, what was it people were saying? Go tell them you're gonna go get a pack of smokes and run, Tyrese. I think that's good advice still.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PaganGoatPants posted:

I felt bad because I kept busting up any time they showed him at the window with that thousand yard stare going on. Probably just sitting there thinking 'yeah, kinda wish those Woodbury goons woulda shot me.'

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
See, now that's how good Walking Dead could be. By far the best episode of the season. Interesting how Lizzie was way more concerned with the fact that she pointed a gun at Carol, than that she murdered her own sister and was going to kill Judith, as well. Pretty good television representation of some legit mental instability.

edit: At this point, though, I'm thinking TERMINUS is gonna be some kinda death camp.

Grin and Tonic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 17, 2014

Ouzo On Ice
Jun 21, 2005
Mika and Lizzie were part of the group from Woodbury, right? I wonder if Lizzie was pulling this crazy poo poo on the Governor's watch?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Ouzo On Ice posted:

Mika and Lizzie were part of the group from Woodbury, right? I wonder if Lizzie was pulling this crazy poo poo on the Governor's watch?

They could have been a group that came in later. I don't think it's mentioned.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SinistralRifleman posted:

If they were doing it because it was more humane than abandoning her and they didn't want her to be an ongoing danger to others, causing her anxiety and distress before doing it is less than ideal. If that's what they're going for shoot her in the head while she's sleeping.

Am I the only one that thought Carol should have shot her through the heart, so she could come back as a Walker? It was the girl's only (granted, twisted) wish. She would have been OK with it. Carol could have even asked her if she wanted it and she would have said yes.

Ouzo On Ice posted:

Crazy Gov: Do you think my daughter is still a person?
Lizzie: Absolutely she totally is

BFFs

That DICK! posted:

I knew that little girl was dead the second she became the most reasonable person on the show. Nah, I don't wanna kill people, it's wrong. Why kill this deer when we've got pecans and peaches as far as the eye can see? Hey, I don't think we should go to that shady Terminus place, let's just stay here. My sister's dumb about the zombie stuff, but don't worry, I can talk her through it!

RIP Mika, the show's most logical thinker to date

When she started headshotting zombies and doing finishers on them, I said to myself "She's dead, because she's Carl Mark 2 now."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 17, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blazing Ownager posted:

Am I the only one that thought Carol should have shot her through the heart, so she could come back as a Walker? It was the girl's only (granted, twisted) wish. She would have been OK with it. Carol could have even asked her if she wanted it and she would have said yes.

Crazy Gov: Do you think my daughter is still a person?
Lizzie: Absolutely she totally is

BFFs

No because then she's a walker and could bite and eat one of the many non insane people in the world (well, not THAT insane at least). Her only wish was dumb and would have put others in danger.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No because then she's a walker and could bite and eat one of the many non insane people in the world (well, not THAT insane at least). Her only wish was dumb and would have put others in danger.

To be fair given her size, she'd be the least dangerous walker out there. Except maybe the zombaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
True, still walkers+1 is worse than walkers no matter what.

I almost am sad she didn't turn the baby if only because the Dawn of the Dead reboot's zombaby was so loving hilarious/dumb.

• Locked thread