Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's why you use water slides!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If my warhams days were any indication, I'm way worse at those.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, you just need to practice some. It's actually incredibly easy, especially with the pre-cut Bandai stuff. Even the non pre-cut stuff isn't that bad as long as you have a steady hand and a cutting mat.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm more annoyed that bandai keeps putting all the cool decals in sticker form and keeping boring generic stuff as dry transfers. Dry transfers are fine, but I don't want to spend another 8 bucks on water slides to make it look proper bandai :mad:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I hope they make kits or something of the Titans from Titanfall because they look legit cool.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
What's a good place to buy decal sheets in the US? I've been doing a custom paint job on my 1/48 scale RX-78-2 and the black decals it comes with aren't going to work. I'd be fine with generic white EFSF decals but they'd need to be sized for a perfect grade if not a little bigger.

Oh, and if I worked at Tamiya I would subsidize sales of Giant Size gunpla because these things take a gently caress ton of paint.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Any decent online gunpla store sells the official waterslides, and while he's not in the US importing Samueldecal's custom decals is almost as standard practice as checking dalong.

If you go with the latter, just find a RX-78-2 sheet you like and ask him to resize them to 1/48.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
drat, that's super useful! I was scared as hell when I messed up one of the water slides on my F91 and only had one more shot at it, now I can just order more hell yeah. Never thought I'd be excited about water slide transfers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I take it back, dry transfers are actually very easy when your tape is actually adhesive.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

I still need to add the decals and touch up some details, but it's complete. You can't tell but I hand painted the visor. That really doesn't show up as much as I thought it would.

I need to do something with the beam sabers on the backpack because they don't stay we'll at all. I don't want to glue them because I might like to use one to pose someday.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Has anybody done a comparison of different pencil leads for the purpose of panel lining? I came across some 2b .3 pencil leads, and some 4b .5 pencil leads while looking through a bin of art supplies, and I remember having 2b and 3b .5 leads as well. If not, would that be something people would be interested in having?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Missing Link posted:

I need to do something with the beam sabers on the backpack because they don't stay we'll at all.

Oh that's normal? When it happened on my end I thought it was because I widened the holes when I tried fitting in the 2.0's sabers.

Anyways you can fix it with some good old Future.

centaurette hentai posted:

Has anybody done a comparison of different pencil leads for the purpose of panel lining?

Different sizes determine the thickness of the line (and in the case of actual lines whether or not the lead will fit), and different hardness grades determine the shade of the line.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 16, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Annoyingly enough, my Gundam Marker Sharp mechanical pencil just broke down completely after maybe an hour of total use. I really liked the thin, dark leads but that is 4 bux I won't be spending again.

Have had to revert to a standard drafting pencil which looks much worse but at least it's idiot-proof.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anybody ever bought the aftermarket LED units from Hong Kong? Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Green-MG-1-100-00-QANT-OO-Raiser-Gundam-LED-Light-Parts-/350862521439?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item51b109345f

Edit: Actually, it looks like maybe the mono-eye kits no longer get the head movement tracking with the LED kit? That's lame, I'd just grab the one yellow one from Bandai for my RX78, then.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 17, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is the HG Build Strike Full Package a full model kit, or just an upgrader/converter kit for a standard Strike Gundam? It's kinda hard to tell, since the official pictures only show a few mold sheets. I'd feel dumb assuming one way or the other, and looking like an idiot when I'm wrong. Especially since it's going for like $12 before shipping on 1999. That's either a pretty cheap HG model or a really expensive HG conversion kit.

...unless it's very Last Season because of the MK-II, then I guess that'd make sense that it'd be a marked-down full model. v:v:v

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a full kit. It should be around $17 or so, but maybe the SBS dropped the price.

I hate to keep hammering this point in, but seriously. If you have a question about a gunpla kit, you can probably find the answer at dalong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Here it is. They've got a 3-per-household limit, so maybe it's a kind of clearance sale or something. Except even at "full" price, it'd only be 1400 yen.

Hence my confusion.

But I'm dumb and have a hard time figuring out the site navigation. Also, their super-dark panel lining tends to look pretty goofy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you can't figure out dalong, navigating the SA forums must be hell for you. :v:

If you google the site name, links to the english versions of the catalogs are right there for you.

Not that it's really hard to figure out how it works when the links to the catalogs are the first thing you'll see on the page.

If you don't already know what the kit you want to check out looks like you can just click the big old English Catalog option at the top right.

And then once you're at the page you can either check out his review or click information to see the manual and the runners.

As for the lining, Dalong lays it down thick so you can see any given kit's level of detail. It's a guide, not what you should actually do. Also it's waaaaay faster and he has a million kits at any given time so I imagine he just doesn't give a poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fair warning; looking at Dalong will make you start adding kits to your list of stuff to buy, whether you want to or not :shepspends:.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
So some time back I posted pics of a HG Wing Gundam that I'd just finished painting. Two days after that, I looked at the reference picture in the instructions and discovered I'd forgotten to paint in part of the wings. :suicide:

Cue another few weeks tearing down and repainting the wings. Because I still don't know how to brush paint properly. Finished painting and lining the wings and the buster rifle last night. Apologies for the terrible phone cam pics.

I think I overdid it with the panel lining on the yellow parts of the wings--it's too dark. Also, had a lot of trouble with painting because I was over-thinning--something like 3 to 1 ratio of thinner to paint. This works all right when the part has the same colour as the paint, but was no end of trouble where one colour had to be painted over another--like the white vents on the wings.

Otherwise, it's finally over, and I can move on to doing something else.

Doc Quantum fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 17, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Christ, if that's the best photos your phone can take then stop buying Gunpla and get a phone that was made in the last decade.

Also, get an action base 2 you scrub. How dare you have Wing Gundam on the ground. :colbert:

Edit: Oh, you get better pics AFTER I joke about the previous lovely ones...

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ, if that's the best photos your phone can take then stop buying Gunpla and get a phone that was made in the last decade.

If the full resolution of the image isn't bigger than the average desktop monitor, it's not worth posting! :shepface:

Also seconding that you get an Action Base 2, because any kit with a wingspan is going to need it.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the full resolution of the image isn't bigger than the average desktop monitor, it's not worth posting! :shepface:

Also seconding that you get an Action Base 2, because any kit with a wingspan is going to need it.

Images are fixed after a bit of fiddling with Photobucket. All the flaws in my paint job are now visible. :v: Also, I do have an action base, though I wasn't intending to use it for the Wing. I'll put it together and see how it looks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you're handpainting, a good baseline mixture to start with is 4:1 paint/thinner. 2:1 if you're airbrushing.

1:3 is pretty ridiculous unless you're going for a panel wash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A while back someone mentioned how to fix pegs when they're loose (with floor polish, I think?), but I can't find who explained the method. One of the shoulder cannon arms on my Kampfer Amazing's suddenly lost all sense of friction :sigh:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's not complicated. Just cover the point of connection with Future, let it dry, then test it out. If it's good you're good, if it's not then put on another layer.

Also I found a 1/144 FAZZ for a good price on Amazon with Prime shipping, so looks like I'm starting yet another project: a HG FA ZZ.

Step 1: cleaning this poor bastard up. God I can't believe I used to be this bad at denubbing with a hobby knife.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It's not complicated. Just cover the point of connection with Future, let it dry, then test it out. If it's good you're good, if it's not then put on another layer.

Cheers. If it turns out well, I might try it on the ball joints of my Overflag. Trying to make the legs stay horizontal in flight form involves a lot of prayer and pinching the arms together to try and stop the legs drooping.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe I've asked already, but how does Future hold up to frequent repositioning of the joint? How's its shear strength? I've used clear nail polish for years to fix loose Transformer joints, but it always seems to break off/crumble after messing with it a few times.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It depends on the type of connection. With polycaps it'll last a good while (barring really, really frequent posing), but for plastic-on-plastic connections like the Crossbones or the Victory it'll scrape off soon enough.

The main benefit of Future is how easy it is to do though, so when it scrapes off for good you can just reapply it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
And you get a relative shitload of the stuff compared to nailpolish.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's here! :dance:

And going right to the bottom of my backlog. Finals can't be over soon enough, there's so much I want to do. :negative:

Also if you take all of the side stuff off, the ZZ is a surprisingly thin suit.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So all I've got left on Turn A 2.0 is the waist and weapons and I'm really glad I just did a new one. I'm not sure if this is a better mold or just after doing the Sengoku Astray I've gotten better at panel lining, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Build complete.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gihon posted:

Build complete.

Well legs are just for show, anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Another round of gunpla announcements: HG Zssa [Unicorn], RG Char's Z'Gok, HGBF Skull Weapon Set (kind of like the Battle Arms but for the Crossbone Maoh I guess) and HG Zaku I [Thunderbolt]. They might be making a new mold for the last one but honestly I doubt it.

More importantly, RG Z'Gok means Bandai's finally getting started on this list!

EDIT: Oh and if anyone was wondering what was going on with MG Turn X, there's more information now: 6000 yen, 16 runners. For comparison, MG 00 Raiser was 6500 yen and had over 20 runners. Turn X is pretty much confirmed to have all the gimmicks.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Another round of gunpla announcements: HG Zssa [Unicorn], RG Char's Z'Gok, HGBF Skull Weapon Set (kind of like the Battle Arms but for the Crossbone Maoh I guess) and HG Zaku I [Thunderbolt]. They might be making a new mold for the last one but honestly I doubt it.

More importantly, RG Z'Gok means Bandai's finally getting started on this list!

EDIT: Oh and if anyone was wondering what was going on with MG Turn X, there's more information now: 6000 yen, 16 runners. For comparison, MG 00 Raiser was 6500 yen and had over 20 runners. Turn X is pretty much confirmed to have all the gimmicks.

I'm a bit surprised they'd go with something that esoteric for an RG design (though admittedly I haven't seen it in-show, so I don't know how big a thing its appearances were). It doesn't really seem like a design that would benefit from an RG inner-frame. But goddamn, just when I thought I'd gotten ahold of all the kits I want, they go and announce the Zssa Booster :allears:. As for the Skull Weapon set, I'm guessing it'll be more than just the cutlass beam sword, pistol and beam cutter/thruster things strapped to its thighs because those aren't really enough on their own to warrant a full kit. Maybe a full set of piratical weaponry in various flavours like the Matsuri (which, let's face it, was intended for the Sengoku Astray) and Hyper Weapon sets?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm just glad we got some news about MG Turn X, I was afraid it would have been cancelled.
(Like MG Gafrant, Age3 and FX, though no real losses there)

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Dang why didn't they just go with an RG Gouf :( I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Also just completed building this magnificent beast

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BattleRobit posted:

Dang why didn't they just go with an RG Gouf :( I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Char never piloted a Gouf. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Also MG Turn X prototype:

Really loving all the detail on the parts under the armor. Gonna hope that head is just a placeholder though because the thing's supposed to be a helmet over a face not a regular head with a visor.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
It looks like an Ent and some sort of Crystalline elemental had a hosed up flipper baby.

And I love it!

• Locked thread