Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

People ask me "DefHes, why do you think the Japanese game audience is as terrible as the Japanese game industry?" Then I point to things like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but what are the Dengeki Playstation Awards? When I googled that phrase, half the results are for that "award". It seems just like some advertising thing, who cares??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would like to know who her competition was. See, I'm a glass is half-full kinda guy. I could get mad that Japan loves Lightning and Lacus or I could be happy that they also love Kamille and Yuna, even if it's not as much. No one and nothing is perfect so I'm content with stuff like this.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Does anyone have any tips going into FFX International? I'm getting my copy of X/X-2 HD tomorrow and I want to make sure I don't completely screw myself over.

I'm planning on going for the International grid too, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

Does anyone have any tips going into FFX International? I'm getting my copy of X/X-2 HD tomorrow and I want to make sure I don't completely screw myself over.

Make sure to get everything you want from Besaid on your first trip. Turn around and walk back in to get the extra Overdrive for your first Aeon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, you can't mess up anything of note really, and the expert sphere grid makes your characters more malleable, but Besaid needs clearing out.

Reason why [Mildish spoilers, but tagged in case people want to find things out themselves]: By the end of the game when you have access to the airship and are most likely to want to return to Besaid, there's the easiest of the Dark Aeons blocking your path there. It's still harder than what most players are going to be able to defeat without levelling with the intent to beat them all though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

NikkolasKing posted:

I would like to know who her competition was. See, I'm a glass is half-full kinda guy. I could get mad that Japan loves Lightning and Lacus or I could be happy that they also love Kamille and Yuna, even if it's not as much. No one and nothing is perfect so I'm content with stuff like this.

Well, I couldn't find the character rankings, which I assumed hasn't actually been officially posted online yet and we only know about Lightning due to the tweet, but if it makes you feel any better, Lightning Returns sits at 13th spot, beaten out by Drakengard 3, Dragon's Crown, Battlefield 4, Toukiden, Pokemon XY, Final Fantasy XIV, and GTA 5, and ranks 1-5 haven't been officially posted yet. Maybe they love the Last of Us just as much as the West does.

EDIT: Pulled this from GAF.

quote:

So have interesting tidbits... Her competition...

http://2chyflabcom.blog.jp/archives/1000644434.html

2nd place was Hatsune Miku

3rd place was Monokuma

BWAHAHAHAHAH. Oh lord. XD

Further amusement,

4th place was Zero from Drag-on Dragoon 3

5th place was Neptune/Purple Heart

6th place was God Eater's Alisa

7th place was Yuna and Raiden for a tie.

9th was Rorona

and 10th is Rean from Sen no Kiseki

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know if X/X-2 HD will go up on PS store for a download on release day in Europe? If not Ill just get the disc but would prefer a download if possible.

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

Brasseye posted:

Anyone know if X/X-2 HD will go up on PS store for a download on release day in Europe? If not Ill just get the disc but would prefer a download if possible.

You can already pre-order it: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-pre-order/cid=EP0082-NPEJ00302_00-B000000000001004

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks! 23gb seems like a huge amount of space... better get to deleting some old stuff I dont play anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is funny in so many ways I don't even know how to describe why it's funny.

Allarion posted:

Well, I couldn't find the character rankings, which I assumed hasn't actually been officially posted online yet and we only know about Lightning due to the tweet, but if it makes you feel any better, Lightning Returns sits at 13th spot, beaten out by Drakengard 3, Dragon's Crown, Battlefield 4, Toukiden, Pokemon XY, Final Fantasy XIV, and GTA 5, and ranks 1-5 haven't been officially posted yet. Maybe they love the Last of Us just as much as the West does.

EDIT: Pulled this from GAF.

She beat Miku? Holy poo poo, how did she beat Miku? The Vocaloid fanbase is nuts over there. Like I knew she was popular, but Jesus.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

General tip:

Try to have everyone do something in every battle (especially bosses), even if "something" is "come in for a turn and defend or switch equipment", although generally you can find something more useful for them to do. (Coming in and immediately being swapped out again on that very same turn without doing anything at all, doesn't count.)

The reason for this is that AP, used for "levelling up" (well, moving on the sphere grid), is not divided by the number of people who get it. So you can have three people each get 100 AP, or you can have seven people each get 100 AP. It makes it a lot easier to keep everyone up to par without having to deliberately grind extra battles to catch anyone up.

For missables I'll just direct you to GameFAQs. The things early in the FAQ aren't too important outside of spergy definitions of 100%, but starting about halfway (with the Al Bhed primers) the missables get into poo poo that a normal player might actually care about.

The "PAL/INT" stuff does apply to you for the X/X-2 HD stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope lightning wins every character popularity poll forever more, even ones that have nothing to do with her, just to make people mad. :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

I hope lightning wins every character popularity poll forever more, even ones that have nothing to do with her, just to make people mad. :allears:

She's got a shot in 2014 for a lot of Academy Awards. And you know how Hollywood loves to reward a trilogy.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Endorph posted:

Yeah I really don't get the hatred for Lightning around here. Sure the XIII games were pretty loving bad. But Lightning as a character isn't even close to the worst that FF has to offer.

Also, I'll have to keep that in mind for the Dark Aeons on X. X is easily my favorite of the series, but I haven't played it for about 10 years now. I put something like ~100 hours into the original so we'll see if I can trim some of that time off this time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's mostly that Lightning was not a super interesting character in XIII and didn't really matter that much plot wise (she isn't a god or anything), but then they kinda forced her into the role in the next two games. It felt like Squeenix was forcing us to like her, and they take her completely out of her role to do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

It's mostly that Lightning was not a super interesting character in XIII and didn't really matter that much plot wise (she isn't a god or anything), but then they kinda forced her into the role in the next two games. It felt like Squeenix was forcing us to like her, and they take her completely out of her role to do it.
The Japanese fanbase liked her well enough, didn't they? To you it might have come across forced but their target audience (and the only one they really care about) is in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

You're getting the cause and effect backwards here. They forced her into the next two games because people liked her. She has been at the top or near-top of Japanese popularity polls since she debuted.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like they used her to promote XIII-2, a game where she does not have a significant amount of screen time. She's also on the title art and the box art of that game as well, this is not hard to figure out.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

People don't like when "trendy" things top charts.

Also Lightning is sort of like an "un-character" since her personality (what little she has) changes in every game and 99% of the jrpgon she spouts doesn't actually mean anything. She speaks in bad poetry. In the original game she was just a bit of a hardass ex-general who didn't like talking about her feelings.

Now she's been molded to Toriyama's ultimate wet dreams, which makes her totally unrelatable to the player. As a protagonist she has no interesting qualities whatsoever, except that she's very pretty and super-strong.

They like her in Japan cuz she's designed to be a sexy magical waifu. Japan loving eats that poo poo up. Almost all those runner-ups are "waifu" characters like Alisa, Neptunia and Miku. Their popularity isn't based on "depth", it's mostly just otaku fawning over the cutest girls.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 17, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

They like her in Japan cuz she's designed to be a sexy magical waifu. Japan loving eats that poo poo up.
Actually a lot of female fans like Lightning too. And to be honest she really isn't that 'waifu-ish' or fanservicey. There's a couple of dumb outfits but compared to a lot of games Lightning Returns is a feminist work of art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

In the original game she was just a bit of a hardass ex-general who didn't like talking about her feelings.

That's pretty much exactly how she acts in LR too, almost to a comical level considering she's supposed to be the ~savior.~ I can't remember her talking in poetry in that game. She has conversations about how she likes killing Behemoths and grilling them over a campfire.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Like they used her to promote XIII-2, a game where she does not have a significant amount of screen time. She's also on the title art and the box art of that game as well, this is not hard to figure out.

It always seemed to me that they needed a mascot for their decade long series and just kinda forced Lighting into the role, but it doesn't matter anyway. Her character wasn't that great to begin with, and seeing them make absolutely everything about her is pretty annoying.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Actually a lot of female fans like Lightning too.

strong empowered woman trope, not all that surprising

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

It always seemed to me that they needed a mascot for their decade long series and just kinda forced Lighting into the role, but it doesn't matter anyway. Her character wasn't that great to begin with, and seeing them make absolutely everything about her is pretty annoying.

Lightning is the one thing they didn't have to force because she was popular from the getgo. If anything they forced the rest of the series to be about Lightning to justify keeping it going which is why she is literally a Goddess by the third game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

We're talking about Japanese fans here, not tumblr.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

They like her in Japan cuz she's designed to be a sexy magical waifu. Japan loving eats that poo poo up. Almost all those runner-ups are "waifu" characters like Alisa, Neptunia and Miku. Their popularity isn't based on "depth", it's mostly just otaku fawning over the cutest girls.

Excels posted:

So uh, which one is it? Is she a strong empowered woman, or is she waifu otaku bait? I'd argue those are fairly mutually exlcusive.

e: Also yes, I'm indifferent to Lightning, so I hope she gets shoved in everything for the sheer rage she seems to inspire in people.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning is the one thing they didn't have to force because she was popular from the getgo.

Didn't the original game bomb so hard that JP game stores couldn't give away copies of the game? I remember seeing a lot of articles about "Final Corridor XIII"; they even made a joke about it in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Didn't the original game bomb so hard that JP game stores couldn't give away copies of the game? I remember seeing a lot of articles about "Final Corridor XIII"; they even made a joke about it in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

It sold extremely well. There were a lot of used tradeins but the same happens to most Final Fantasy games. FFX was kind of unique in that it took longer for it to start showing up in used stores in big numbers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 17, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei made jokes about lots of popular things. That's kind of what it did.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It sold extremely well. There were a lot of used tradeins but the same happens to most Final Fantasy games.

It sold well because it was the first PS3 FF game, within a week or two stores were refusing any more trade-ins and the game was price-slashed all over. Still wouldn't put it past Toriyama to bribe that poll to get his beloved anime waifu at #1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

It sold well because it was the first PS3 FF game, within a week or two stores were refusing any more trade-ins and the game was price-slashed all over. Still wouldn't put it past Toriyama to bribe that poll to get his beloved anime waifu at #1.

FFXII actually suffered that a lot harder than FFXIII did. It sold relatively well in Japan (better than in the US IIRC) but the fan response to it was really negative. Part of the reason FFXII-International got such a big reworking was in an attempt to reinvigorate the fans who responded to a lot of the gameplay decisions.

I mean don't get me wrong. There was certainly a negative response to the game, but it wasn't overwhelmingly or shockingly negative. The sequels saw a decline in sales but that also isn't surprising. The drop between FFXIII and FFXIII-2 was only a little more steep than the drop between FFX and FFX-2, and Japan loved the gently caress out of FFX, and one of the things FFXIII-2 got criticized for is the bait-and-switch with protagonists.

Lightning Returns eventually only did in the realm of 500,000 units which is remarkably bad for a 'mainline' Final Fantasy game. In context however: The best selling console game in Japan in that year was Grand Theft Auto V at 605,882 units. This is not good for the franchise in that it's a fairly low performer in their home country but it doesn't represent an abnormally low response so much as it represents a general disinterest in the sub-franchise. It isn't abnormally hated it just isn't particularly hugely liked either.

I mean I know people dislike the franchise but are we really at the point where it's easier to believe a random Japanese producer is going around bribing people to pretend to like his character? I mean Lightning is far and away from the only pretty dumb character Japan likes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If keeping unlikeable characters at the top of a Japanese popularity poll needs a bribe, then whoever's bankrolling Kira Yamato and Lacus has some super deep pockets.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I concede my debate to ImpAtom. Dude you are well-versed in games. How do you know so much?

Cake Attack posted:

If keeping unlikeable characters at the top of a Japanese popularity poll needs a bribe, then whoever's bankrolling Kira Yamato and Lacus has some super deep pockets.

Gundam SEED got remastered and has recently begun airing again, which is why they're back at the top. But they've both been up there for quite a few years prior because Japan just loves that SEED

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japan's favorite P4 characters are Yukiko and Naoto just as a reference for what kind of characters are liked by them. Oh and Kanji usually doesn't even make top 10.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Japan's favorite P4 characters are Yukiko and Naoto just as a reference for what kind of characters are liked by them. Oh and Kanji usually doesn't even make top 10.
The first part sounds like good taste to me. :colbert:

But if you're going that route we might as well say Japan's favorite Tales characters are Leon, Zelos, and Yuri.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

I concede my debate to ImpAtom. Dude you are well-versed in games. How do you know so much?

I do freelance writing and I try to do research on things because I feel dumb when I pull a Kotaku.

Also I am a tremendous nerd.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

To be fair, Kanji isn't voiced by Troy Baker in Japan.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

But if you're going that route we might as well say Japan's favorite Tales characters are Leon, Zelos, and Yuri.

It's actually Yuri, Luke and Leon Magnus in the Top 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, Kanji isn't voiced by Troy Baker in Japan.
You say that like Tomokazu Seki doesn't also rule.