Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 2nd half of Continuum was pretty excellent, although I hate to tell people they need to watch a season and a half of a show before it gets really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I want to share this with the True Detective watchers, but I've only watched the first episode so far, so I don't want to venture in there just yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Mmw7WTIX8

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

This is beautiful work :allears:

I was wondering what was wrong. Apparently it wasn't Hank from Breaking Bad that appeared in The Shield. It was the guy that played The Rock in the Fantastic Four.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Now, now...don't overdo it.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I thought everyone just stopped watching it? Is the thread hatewatching now or something? It's not even bad enough for that, like something like Terra Nova was, SHIELD is just textbook mediocrity.

Let's put it that way: You still have an active Sons of Anarchy thread with people live-watching and discussing the show. poo poo, how many people (myself included) will watch Heroes Reborn only to complain about how poo poo it is and how stupid we were for watching it when we knew it'd be a disaster?

SHIELD is nowhere near that bad. It's just bland and boring. Also it has Whedon's name associated to it so it will live in this forum forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mo0 posted:

I want to share this with the True Detective watchers, but I've only watched the first episode so far, so I don't want to venture in there just yet:

You don't want to venture in there ever bruv.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Thwomp posted:

Same with Parks & Rec and The Office. There are bits that I liked but nothing that made me really laugh out loud. I think it's the format.

Actually your mistake was watching Parks & Rec or The Office from the first season. Both of them are 6 episodes and both of them are absolutely atrocious with a few shining moments and the shows really take off with Season 2 (and then start nosediving around Season 5).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mo0 posted:

Just watch the show. Don't venture in the thread if you value your own sanity and time. But mostly sanity.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Who is Bill Finger? Bob Kane created Batman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

Bill Finger is the guy that created everything that people like about Batman, and Bob Kane is the guy who hosed him over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Now you've gone too far...

bobkatt013 posted:

Bill Finger is the guy that created everything that people like about Batman, and Bob Kane is the guy who hosed him over.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

The Walking Dead sure as hell did something tonight. :stare:

You weren't kidding. :catstare:

When TWD does a good episode they really do a good episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mo0 posted:

Ha, I was liking it but they got me at "Created by Bill Finger"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mo0 posted:

This is beautiful :allears:

And yeah, to echo what others have said, I'm a big fan of the show but the thread is loving garbage. You're better off not going there even after you've finished the season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So it was announced that the next season of American Horror Story will take place in a 'spooky carnival'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/american-horror-story-season-4_n_4978440.html

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

GreenNight posted:

So it was announced that the next season of American Horror Story will take place in a 'spooky carnival'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/american-horror-story-season-4_n_4978440.html

Sounds good to me. But setting strength doesn't indicate much about quality based on last seasons failings. Hope this one is a return to form.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is gonna be Jessica Lange's last season so I hope she goes out with a bang.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The 2nd half of Continuum was pretty excellent, although I hate to tell people they need to watch a season and a half of a show before it gets really good.

If you're saying I stopped literally right before it transforms into a show that isn't boring and stupid then I guess I should try and finish it. But I dunno man I'm skeptical because it sure wasn't giving any indication that it was about to improve.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you finish season 2 and don't end with a What The gently caress, then the show ain't for you.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

What the gently caress. IT'S BEEN DONE.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah because witches is some brand new thing that no one has ever done.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
nah, its just that Carnivale was a really awesome show

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

What the gently caress. IT'S BEEN DONE.

Look at this guy who still has his hopes up after the last season.

Then again considering how AHS is in full Ryan Murphy curse mode at the moment, dealing with Gypsies seems like a natural step.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

nah, its just that Carnivale was a really awesome show

and heroes season 4 blew

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
A reminder of what other show thought 'Spooky/Supernatural Carnival' would be a good idea for Season 4. :smugdog:

Edit:^^^^^ Goddamnit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPFortest posted:

and heroes season 4 blew
Now we have season 5 to look forward to! :haw:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now we have season 5 to look forward to! :haw:

I refuse to accept the fact that this isn't some cruel practical joke.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

CPFortest posted:

I refuse to accept the fact that this isn't some cruel practical joke.

That's as good an explanation of NBC as any.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

That's as good an explanation of NBC as any.

Like NBC knows how to do anything practical.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreenNight posted:

Maybe they'll go for an outre cross-promotion angle and it'll be the Dark Carnival.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
In Arrow (I'm only at episode 8 now), do they ever address just how loving revealing his whole hood thing is? I mean the guy is wearing a hood and some slight paint around his eyes, yet he walks around his ex-girlfriend or more recently his date and no one thinks 'Oh wait I know that guy, one of the most famous people in the world! :monocle:'

Like I can tolerate a lot of stuff and suspend my disbelief, but come on. Everyone should have known who he is about 5 days after his first incident at most

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What show had the biggest and fastest drop from acclaimed and hyped premiere to being ignored and cancelled?

It was just something I was thinking about a few days ago with the ABC series Commander in Chief that I seem to remember its first episode being extremely popular, generated a lot of media chatter, etc. Then, suddenly, it was gone.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

Look at this guy who still has his hopes up after the last season.

Then again considering how AHS is in full Ryan Murphy curse mode at the moment, dealing with Gypsies seems like a natural step.

I don't watch AHS; my love for Carnivale is undying and this new thing is just rubbing salt in the wound.

PSA: if "spooky carnival" sounds good to you and you haven't yet seen Carnivale....well, you know what you have to do now, don't you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

In Arrow (I'm only at episode 8 now), do they ever address just how loving revealing his whole hood thing is? I mean the guy is wearing a hood and some slight paint around his eyes, yet he walks around his ex-girlfriend or more recently his date and no one thinks 'Oh wait I know that guy, one of the most famous people in the world! :monocle:'

Like I can tolerate a lot of stuff and suspend my disbelief, but come on. Everyone should have known who he is about 5 days after his first incident at most

You must hate Superman then.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

I don't watch AHS; my love for Carnivale is undying and this new thing is just rubbing salt in the wound.

PSA: if "spooky carnival" sounds good to you and you haven't yet seen Carnivale....well, you know what you have to do now, don't you?

Fair enough, and yeah Carnivale was great. If you ever watch AHS, stop after season 2. Don't get me wrong, the first two seasons range from really good/great to outstanding, but the third season was absolute loving poo poo.

zoux posted:

Arrow tries to be a lot more rooted in reality than Superman, though

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

How do you figure? Clark Kent isn't famous, and the one person who interacts with them both regularly, Lois Lane, knew Clark was secretly a super-powered alien do-gooder before he ever became Superman.

edit: Which is not to complain about this conceit of Arrow, which is a "heightened reality" on a lot of different levels.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 17, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I figure I would rather them be able to shoot the show straightforwardly according to the rules of film rather than have to suborn every single shot to the rule of "Ollie's identity must be perfectly protected" and "this show must maintain absolute fidelity to reality". Dudes getting by with Domino masks or hoods or sunglasses whatever are part and parcel of the comic book genre and basically who gives a gently caress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JediTalentAgent posted:

What show had the biggest and fastest drop from acclaimed and hyped premiere to being ignored and cancelled?

It was just something I was thinking about a few days ago with the ABC series Commander in Chief that I seem to remember its first episode being extremely popular, generated a lot of media chatter, etc. Then, suddenly, it was gone.

The Event is probably up there.

I don't remember much hype over Commander in Chief, I am thinking of the show where the premise was just that the president is :siren: a woman :siren:, right?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I figure I would rather them be able to shoot the show straightforwardly according to the rules of film rather than have to suborn every single shot to the rule of "Ollie's identity must be perfectly protected" and "this show must maintain absolute fidelity to reality". Dudes getting by with Domino masks or hoods or sunglasses whatever are part and parcel of the comic book genre and basically who gives a gently caress.

Well I don't really read comic books and I don't think the tv show is made to make people who read comic books happy*?

I just think it's ridiculous and wondered if they addressed it, even in a meta or cheeky way. It's not like I'm raging and gonna have to stop watching the show, it's just how the gently caress do you not recognize your ex-boyfriend/brother/date standing three feet in front of you with just some eye paint and slightly covered by a hood?

*Because if I've learned anything is that they never are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

I don't like Craig Ferguson.

You monster.

IRQ posted:

The Event is probably up there.

I'd say it's Awake. Everyone jizzed their pants about that pilot (and rightfully so) and while the quality never dipped that low in my opinion, apparently everyone else was not impressed. Which is really too bad because the last few episodes were when it properly got mindfuckery and amazing.

• Locked thread