Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Luann's looking for some advice.

If you're not following @LuannDeGroot on Twitter, you should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Away we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

This was the pay off? What the hell was the point of that entire week of strips?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club Life in Moominvalley

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This was the pay off? What the hell was the point of that entire week of strips?

Trolls be trollin'

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Where is Andelkrag getting its food and water from? There's no way they can last in the siege!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm 12 years old and delighted at the frequent use of the word "gay" in Prince Valiant. Tonight at the banquet: Village People and Bronski Beat :allears:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SubNat posted:

Club Life in Moominvalley

Four grown men, all with children of their own, decide it would be fun to go around in floppy ties and annoy people with slingshots. Moominvalley is the land of hipsters. This is a Poor Introduction Comix.

Pooch Café

Poncho appears to be subconsciously employing aversion therapy.

Ballard Street

At breakfast, Megan started beatboxing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The Betty Ford Center was basically a notable drug rehab clinic. And Chevy Chase did some drugs once.

Sure, he's died to them before, but how could he say no?

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

The Knight Life is another comic by Keith Knight. If Mister Beeg were around, I'm sure he could give us a cool run-down of Mr. Knight's accomplishments.

And Last Kiss gets into the holiday spirit, but not vice versa.

(yeah, my phrasing doesn't really work, I know)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

:stonk: That...that's not a shrimp.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Off to the Hague with you.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funny you should say that...

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Today's Tiny Sepuku is thankfully less saccharine than yesterday's.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Are they brain damaged or something?

"Rose is Rose" takes place in a universe where the worst thing that can possibly happen, ever, is garlic breath. It's so fundamentally divorced from reality that everything in it rings false to a healthy-minded reader. If "Oh Baby" is a war crime, then "Rose is Rose" collections are WMDs, and anyone purchasing them should be prosecuted commensurately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plus in Rose is Rose people have sex by sticking their toes in mud and it's a family experience.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

This is the worst thing I've seen in a long while.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"Rose is Rose" takes place in a universe where the worst thing that can possibly happen, ever, is garlic breath. It's so fundamentally divorced from reality that everything in it rings false to a healthy-minded reader. If "Oh Baby" is a war crime, then "Rose is Rose" collections are WMDs, and anyone purchasing them should be prosecuted commensurately.

"Satisfaction guaranteed or double your frown back."

Truth in advertising. :mad:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I wonder if Don Wimmer set the strip on this path, or if Pat Brady's originals were this bad.

Wikipedia says Wimmer took over in March 2004. Gocomics only has the last couple months of Brady's run. Random non-cherrypicked sampling:

Hmm. Not offensively gooey and no candy canes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Also either the artist or the writer has a fat fetish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

Hmm. Not offensively gooey and no candy canes.

That does reconcile my memories of the strip as being occasionally good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

God, yet another fork in the story. I'm seriously getting lost here...
Getting lost? :confused:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Before "Rose is Rose", Pat Brady did a strip called "Graves Inc."

It's absolutely NOTHING like "Rose is Rose". The complete opposite.

"Rose" has always meant to be saccharine. If you don't like saccharine, you're not gonna like the strip.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't understand... is Scary Heron from a fable or a well-known saying, or is it a children's character? Does it have any origin outside of last week's Mike du Jour? Why was there an entire week dedicated to the suspicious desires of a random hunched over bird, with the payoff being "He wants to eat a frog from a cereal box"? What the gently caress is happening?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mister Beeg posted:

Before "Rose is Rose", Pat Brady did a strip called "Graves Inc."

It's absolutely NOTHING like "Rose is Rose". The complete opposite.

"Rose" has always meant to be saccharine. If you don't like saccharine, you're not gonna like the strip.

Beeg! You're back :)

I don't mind saccharine if there's a little funny underneath it. If there's no funny, then there's nothing to balance the sweet, and (to me, at least) that's when saccharine crosses into sickening/cloying/annoying.

If the small sampling I put here is at all representative, Brady's Rose seems sweet, but there are enough little bits of humor that it doesn't hit me as overpowering. The current Rose writer just seems to do gooey as if that is all that's required.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

TofuDiva posted:

I don't mind saccharine if there's a little funny underneath it. If there's no funny, then there's nothing to balance the sweet, and (to me, at least) that's when saccharine crosses into sickening/cloying/annoying.

If the small sampling I put here is at all representative, Brady's Rose seems sweet, but there are enough little bits of humor that it doesn't hit me as overpowering. The current Rose writer just seems to do gooey as if that is all that's required.

nth-ing the welcome MB!

"Gooey" is one thing, but the concept of all night love letter writing, on post-it notes, and sticking them all over the walls and furniture (and each other, I believe) has to be indicative of some form of brain damage. Jimbo's nose is red all the time, so, obviously, he's drunk, so at least he has an excuse. Plus, jesus, the kid with the massive speech impediment. I just want to reach into the comic, grab him and shake, and scream "WHAT!! WHAT ARE YOU loving TRYING TO SAY!!??" And, whoa, that feeder thing going on aways back. :v:

E: vvvvvv Good point, yeah, I thought that too. Plus, she's still not looking real pregnant, either. vvvvvv

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex and June discuss their role-playing.

Did Rex Morgan get a new artist or something? June looks like she's had some plastic surgery.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rex doesn't look that much like Rex either.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I don't understand... is Scary Heron from a fable or a well-known saying, or is it a children's character? Does it have any origin outside of last week's Mike du Jour? Why was there an entire week dedicated to the suspicious desires of a random hunched over bird, with the payoff being "He wants to eat a frog from a cereal box"? What the gently caress is happening?

Scary Heron was the first thing Mike Lester saw outside his window when he needed a new week of strips.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Tiggum posted:

Fred Basset

Fred-It

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Borden posted:

Did Rex Morgan get a new artist or something? June looks like she's had some plastic surgery.

Yes, Terry Beatty - who does Sunday Phantom - took over Rex Morgan around the new year.

He's using his own kids as models for Sarah, which makes me worry for his safety if those children ever get access to the knife drawer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

It's actually still written by the same dude. It's just that Brady hired someone else to do the art, and that guy is the one that added the constant grinning and rainbows and lollipops radiating from all the characters.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Don't ask. Don't tell.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Yes, Terry Beatty - who does Sunday Phantom - took over Rex Morgan around the new year.

He's using his own kids as models for Sarah, which makes me worry for his safety if those children ever get access to the knife drawer.

That explains it. It looks like he's putting more effort into the Phantom than Rex (I don't blame him). Or maybe he secretly despises Rex Morgan and is drawing June as a vapid tight skinned witch. He'll slowly start adding the botox lips and more face lifts, and a year from now she'll look like this..

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm kind of staggered by the number of people who still have expectations for Mike du Jour.

And good grief, RandomFerret. What an atrocity. Well done.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Darthemed posted:

I'm kind of staggered by the number of people who still have expectations for Mike du Jour.

I don't expect it to be good, or amusing, or even coherent, and it still falls short. Like with Brooke, I've read every strip of this Chickweed Lane arc, and I have no idea what's going on; it's impossible to follow and incoherent at best. But I can see the kernels of the story that he wants to tell. It's very bad, and it's not working, but I can see on some level what Brooke is trying to do.

With Mike du Jour I don't even get that much. I have no idea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tender Bender posted:

I don't expect it to be good, or amusing, or even coherent, and it still falls short. Like with Brooke, I've read every strip of this Chickweed Lane arc, and I have no idea what's going on; it's impossible to follow and incoherent at best. But I can see the kernels of the story that he wants to tell. It's very bad, and it's not working, but I can see on some level what Brooke is trying to do.

With Mike du Jour I don't even get that much. I have no idea.

Mike Lester has an idea, then milks it for a week for an easy paycheck. It's not very complicated.

He's honestly much better at his political cartooning. I mean, he's reprehensible, but he tends towards an idea a day at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (February 28th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam