Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Benny, Obamacare, I'm not American but it sounds like there is a deadline, can you please do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

I seriously have no idea how you can be
A) American
B) uninsured
C) both

and still not know about healthcare.gov. Obama has viral marketed the poo poo out of Obamacare. Every day it gets shoved in my face, one way or another.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Fugue Stater posted:

Hey tonto, why are Agatha Christie's books all about solving some random crime? Why are Shyamaladingdong's movies all about some implausible twist at the end? It's called style, ese. And Benny's got it in spades, hombre. Chico, when he's the toast of Broadway with Benny the Snake's Songs in the Key of Mexican Murder, you'll see. TODO EL MUNDO VERÁ!

Later that day, Shyamaladingdong killed Agatha Christies' entire family.

edit: esé

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Scapegoat posted:

Benny, Obamacare, I'm not American but it sounds like there is a deadline, can you please do this?

It's the end of March. Benny, get the gently caress on the stick with this.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's the end of March. Benny, get the gently caress on the stick with this.

But but but Benny wouldn't be able to make exscuses then!

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Be honest, Benny. Do you really not have healthcare or access to your parent's healthcare plan? I'm pretty sure anyone under 27 or 25 can remain under their parent's plan.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Or just stop writing bad stories and try doing something productive.

The running /jogging /walking idea is the best so far.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Gotta jump on the exercise bandwagon.

Benny, starting an exercise regime four years ago was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I honestly really recommend you start one too.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

vxskud posted:

Or just stop writing bad stories and try doing something productive.

The running /jogging /walking idea is the best so far.

He's got 16 waking hours a day. Even if 8 were spent on eating, taking a dump, loving around on the net, and masturbating (maybe all at once), that's 8 hours he has left to do poo poo. He has demonstrated that he can't handle more than 1-2 actually looking for jobs. So 6 hours left easily accommodates writing and exercising and looking for health care.

It's not like his stopping writing will have any impact on him doing an hour of interval training at the track every day.

What I'm trying to say is don't you dare take away our resident bard. :colbert:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

cname posted:

Be honest, Benny.

Pffffffftahahahaha. If he was capable of this, I don't think we'd have made it to 100+ pages.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just got back from my interview with the library. I got the volunteer position. I am now a volunteer for the library's bookstore. My responsibilities will include sorting through the donations, determine what can be sold, and then stocking those books on the sale shelves. I only have to show up once or twice a week for a couple of hours, but I plan to branch out and volunteer for other positions. The library director who interviewed me told me that they also need someone to handle computer assistance, so I'll be able to volunteer for that position once I've established myself. He also told me that there is room for promotion and even employment. I'm glad I got the position. Right now, I have to wait for HR to call me to get my fingerprints. The library director gave me his card and told me to call him if I don't hear from them in a week. Here's hoping that my next interview goes as well as this one. I intend to keep volunteering at the library if I do find employment, though. The library would be flexible with my hours and volunteering would lead to other opportunities.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 17, 2014

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I got the job.
Volunteer.

Great now answer people on why you haven't enrolled in Obamacare.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Well now that's awesome Benny. Now go sign up for Obamacare. It was unbelievably easy. As in all I did was fill out the online thing and my cards showed up soon after. I didn't have to send them info or anything. Do it.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

I just got back from my interview with the library. I got the job.
:toot:

Benny the Snake posted:

I am now a volunteer for the library's bookstore.
:eng99:

Benny the Snake posted:

Right now, I have to wait for HR to call me to get my fingerprints. The library director gave me his card and told me to call him if I don't hear from them in a week.

:stare:
Wait, you didn't get the job yet. Don't start counting your chickens before they're hatched.

Good luck, though, and be careful with those book trolleys!

Seriously, though, get your rear end to the damned website and sign up for healthcare. You have no income, so it will literally be free, and it takes fifteen minutes.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

DopeGhoti posted:

:toot:

:eng99:

:stare:
Wait, you didn't get the job yet. Don't start counting your chickens before they're hatched.

Good luck, though, and be careful with those book trolleys!

Seriously, though, get your rear end to the damned website and sign up for healthcare. You have no income, so it will literally be free, and it takes fifteen minutes.

I too am confused about Benny's post, did he get the job or did he just get to a second round of interviews?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Right now, I have to wait for HR to call me to get my fingerprints. The library director gave me his card and told me to call him if I don't hear from them in a week. Here's hoping that my next interview goes as well as this one.

Oh Benny, no one believes this.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had to be fingerprinted for a job.

I'm quite baffled by this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I get finger-printed every time I go to the US and I've seen a shocking amount of corporate jobs demand finger prints and all sorts of insanely personal info. Hell we just visiting disney world and to get in you had to do a finger-print scan.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I got finger printed when I was working security at a facility that shipped high value goods and narcotics.

Given that working at a library at least where I live requires a vulnerable persons sector background check it's not too farfetched.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Huh, guess I really have just been lucky then.

edit - actually I guess it's not that I've been lucky, I've just never worked for a governmental institution, since based on the replies that's where most fingerprinting takes place.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 17, 2014

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

It happened to me once when I worked for a bank.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

vxskud posted:

I too am confused about Benny's post, did he get the job or did he just get to a second round of interviews?

There's no job, its volunteering at the library. But most likely there's not even a volunteer gig. Volunteers don't have multi-round interviews and don't have to meet with HR for finger printing. (If you work around elders or children you'll probably need to get a TB test before your first day, but that's hardly what Benny is claiming...) Volunteers go to an evening orientation that is held ever few weeks, decaf and lemon bars are served.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well he does live in a country that apparently drugtests people for mundane jobs quite often as well so. :stare:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Congratulations on being allowed to hang out in the library for free Benny.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Should we start a pool for when the great book cart accident happens?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

I just got back from my interview with the library. I got the job. I am now a volunteer for the library's bookstore. My responsibilities will include sorting through the donations, determine what can be sold, and then stocking those books on the sale shelves. I only have to show up once or twice a week for a couple of hours, but I plan to branch out and volunteer for other positions. The library director who interviewed me told me that they also need someone to handle computer assistance, so I'll be able to volunteer for that position once I've established myself. He also told me that there is room for promotion and even employment. I'm glad I got the position. Right now, I have to wait for HR to call me to get my fingerprints. The library director gave me his card and told me to call him if I don't hear from them in a week. Here's hoping that my next interview goes as well as this one. I intend to keep volunteering at the library if I do find employment, though. The library would be flexible with my hours and volunteering would lead to other opportunities.

How does volunteering fit in with your programme with the unemployment office? Is there a limit to the number of hours you're allowed to volunteer? Is there a requirement that any volunteer positions you take teach you new skills?

Volunteering is great for getting references, so I really hope this is something you're able to stick with for at least the next few months. It will also make you accountable to someone else and that's a very good thing as you seem to have problems with holding yourself accountable.

Just don't map out the next two years. Focus on what's immediately in front of you and doing a good job at that. Volunteering *may* lead to other opportunities in the future, but until you're financially independent and have moved out of home you still need to pursue definite opportunities before "maybes".

What you're going to be doing at the library is similar to what second-hand shops run by charities often use volunteers for. If you're only going to be volunteering a few hours a week at the library, then it might be worth seeing what other volunteer gigs are available (assuming your employment programme allows this).

Apart from giving you another reference, the more "exposed" you are during the week, the more likely you are to become aware of opportunities you're never going to hear about sitting at home (I don't know what the current figure is, but a few years ago only 30-40% of job vacancies were ever advertised with job sites/agencies - just coming into contact with people on a regular basis helps you tap into opportunities you'd never otherwise learn of).

You need to come up with a plan for addressing your mental health issues. You have plenty of uncommitted hours each week in which to do this and you need to make it a high priority.

Regarding Obamacare, I found this extremely interesting.

quote:

Even someone under the age of 26 who falls into the "young and invincible" category still has a one in ten chance of racking up at least $13,000 worth of medical bills this year, he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/things-obamacare-deadline/story?id=22945074#6

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 17, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Wait, so is this a paid job or an unpaid volunteer position? You keep saying you got the job but volunteering isn't a job. This shouldn't be so confusing.

Good job on doing a thing I guess. Start running like I and others have suggested a million times, maybe that will help with your lovely lying problems.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 17, 2014

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Toriori posted:

Wait, so is this a paid job or an unpaid volunteer position? You keep saying you got the job but volunteering isn't a job. This shouldn't be so confusing.

To be fair to Benny, there's an increasing trend to refer to volunteers as "staff" or "workers" these days and the level of professionalism expected of volunteers has dramatically increased in many non-profit sectors (and many organisations are being very picky about whom they accept as volunteers).

Benny needs to approach this as he would a paid position, which is why his "I only have to show up once or twice a week for a couple of hours..." is a little concerning. The people who reap the most job opportunities (as opposed to other benefits) from volunteering are those who treat it with the same level of commitment you would expect from a paid employee. Benny definitely needs to think of this gig as "a job" if it's to increase his chances of gaining paid employment.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Public libraries usually require fingerprinting or a criminal record check at all levels because duties may entail working with children.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Queen Elizatits posted:

Congratulations on being allowed to hang out in the library for free Benny.

Every time I check in on this thread, the abyss gets abyss-ier.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Xenocides posted:

Should we start a pool for when the great book cart accident happens?

I hate that I'm already thinking ahead to "how's Benny going to manage to gently caress this up" but am relieved that I'm not the only one.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lolie posted:

Benny needs to approach this as he would a paid position, which is why his "I only have to show up once or twice a week for a couple of hours..." is a little concerning. The people who reap the most job opportunities (as opposed to other benefits) from volunteering are those who treat it with the same level of commitment you would expect from a paid employee. Benny definitely needs to think of this gig as "a job" if it's to increase his chances of gaining paid employment.
Well what I meant that was the required hours of the position that I was told by the library director. It wasn't meant to be an indication of how many hours I'd want to put in. And like I said, they do need someone else to provide tech support to the patrons (basic stuff like how to save documents), so I'll apply to that once I'm in. I'm waiting on them to call me in to get my fingerprints done.

I've been reading a new book. It's called "They Eat Puppies, Don't They?" and it's written by Christopher Buckley. I'm halfway through it and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's hilarious.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been reading a new book. It's called "They Eat Puppies, Don't They?" and it's written by Christopher Buckley. I'm halfway through it and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's hilarious.

Wow that's fascinating, and perhaps I should check it out sometiWHY HAVE YOU NOT SIGNED UP FOR OBAMACARE.

I'm getting legitimately mad now. :eng99:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It makes sense for the library to fingerprint Benny. It weeds out any convicted felons volunteering in a public building that caters to kids and the elderly.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

And like I said, they do need someone else to provide tech support to the patrons (basic stuff like how to save documents), so I'll apply to that once I'm in.

This kind of makes me think that they don't exactly have people lining up to be volunteers at this library so they may have set the bar at "has a heartbeat and can pass a criminal record/working with children check".

I actually think it's good for you to have a regular commitment where you need to develop/demonstrate at least some soft employability skills, but I'd like to hear what you believe this opportunity can do for you.

I don't mean general "it might eventually lead to paid employment" stuff, I'm talking about things which you would be able to articulate on a resume/at a job interview. When you're writing a job application three months from now, what are the specific skills/experience which this gig will allow you to put down?

And yeah, Obamacare Benny. What are you going to do about it?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
10 bux says Benny starts fighting with his parents in a month because his 4 hour a week "job" will leave him too tired to do anything around the house. This is assuming he currently does anything to help out around the house.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

What's Benny's AIM?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

That drat Satyr posted:

Benny, for your next TD entry

He's now permanently banned from thunderdome.

Whoops, I misspoke. He's merely disqualified for this week.

VVVVVV sorry about the mistake :(

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 18, 2014

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Croc Monster posted:

He's now permanently banned from thunderdome.

Just another disappointment. Tut.

E: Well... Still a loving disappointment. Benny, write my goddamn story.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I know this makes me the worst person but you write:

Benny the Snake posted:

Why wouldn't you just say:

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been reading "They Eat Puppies, Don't They?" by Christopher Buckley. I'm halfway through it and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's hilarious.

• Locked thread