Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sincx posted:

What's the over/under on if they really made Hamster shower in piss water?
It sure looked like they were pouring from water bottles to me.

I wasn't thrilled with the special. The guys seemed totally dispassionate through part 1, and only got interested in part 2. There was still no attachment to their vehicles like in other specials. At least the bridge-building was entertaining. James absolutely hating his truck was good fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They ever so conveniently have a shot where Hammond is showering and talking about qualities his shower would have if someone pissed in it. It also looked like they poured water from bottles. Also I doubt the BBC would let someone being showered in piss be allowed on television.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cojawfee posted:

They ever so conveniently have a shot where Hammond is showering and talking about qualities his shower would have if someone pissed in it. It also looked like they poured water from bottles. Also I doubt the BBC would let someone being showered in piss be allowed on television.

They let Clarkson fire a blowtorch into Hammond's crotch with nothing but two frozen pizzas in between.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drakkel posted:

They let Clarkson fire a blowtorch into Hammond's crotch with nothing but two frozen pizzas in between.
Nomex :ssh:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sincx posted:

Wait when was this?
Like 3 episodes ago during THE NEWS.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's hard to see clearly, but the stream is too 'water bottley' like to be piss.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
DEAR SO CALLED TOP GEAR,

IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT IN LAST WEEK'S EPISODE RICHARD HAMMOND WAS NOT, IN FACT, SHOWERED IN JEREMY AND JAMES' URINE. I DEMAND THAT THIS TRAVESTY BE RECTIFIED IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT RICHARD HAMMOND BE SHOWERED IN URINE DURING THE NEXT TOP GEAR EPISODE.

SINCERELY YOURS,
-PISSED OFF FAN

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You mean 'PISSED ON FAN' right?

*Studio Audience Laughter*

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There was still no attachment to their vehicles like in other specials. At least the bridge-building was entertaining. James absolutely hating his truck was good fun too.

As someone who drives trucks occasionally, no-one is going to love an old piece of poo poo like they had, especially if it has a crashbox and you're not used to driving one.

Jame's would have been the worst, sitting over the steer axle on anything but perfect roads is going to snap your spine in about 5 minutes, especially with old poo poo worn suspension.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Loved it! I was laughing out loud several times. Especially when Hammond said bottoms up. Also loved hearing the music from kelly's heroes.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
ahaha when James takes a sip of that 'White Spirit' liquor, his reaction is priceless

edit: It's actually an industrial solvent :gonk:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This came over as one of the least scripted specials. Obviously plenty of it was scripted, like the pee shower, and the tent moving, as you'd expect. But compared to other specials, this had a really genuine feel to it.

May's reaction at nearly being decapitated made it clear that was genuine - no-one can act that well, let alone a journalist - which was probably the most scary element. And the bridge building was really impressive, considering. The fun May and Clarkson were having racing was great to see, and the party looked like awesome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mustache Ride posted:

It's hard to see clearly, but the stream is too 'water bottley' like to be piss.

If it were really pee, who thinks they would have stood that close together without comment?

What really impressed me about this special was how much of the key spontaneous material they got on camera, like Hammond backing into Clarkson unintentionally, and that giant crane falling over on top of James' :lol: . There were even cameras mounted in the suspension to get shots of the various bits of damage the trucks sustained. They must have made a vow not to let a single thing go unfilmed this time out.

(I still like Bolivia and Vietnam better)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the special. The guys seemed totally dispassionate through part 1, and only got interested in part 2. There was still no attachment to their vehicles like in other specials. At least the bridge-building was entertaining. James absolutely hating his truck was good fun too.

Good, so it isn't just me then.

I thought it was fine, but part 1 really didn't do it for me at all. Part 2 was better, but overall it was nowhere near the greatness of Botswana/Bolivia/Vietnam. Still 10x better than India/Iraq though.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Kelly's Heroes theme at the end made it all worth for me. Love that movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

There were even cameras mounted in the suspension to get shots of the various bits of damage the trucks sustained. They must have made a vow not to let a single thing go unfilmed this time out.

They had the camera there to film James' brake cooling system. It just happened to be at the right corner to catch his truck breaking.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best Top Gear special, particularly for people who are not car enthusiasts? I remember this one where they had to turn their cars into boats at the end and it was just beautiful. The internet says Burma, India, and Vietnam specials were good ones. Most recently I saw the Africa special and it was really nice but not beautiful.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
That was the Vietnam special, which I think was also the best. The India special was stupid; ignore it.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Heran Bago posted:

What's the best Top Gear special, particularly for people who are not car enthusiasts? I remember this one where they had to turn their cars into boats at the end and it was just beautiful. The internet says Burma, India, and Vietnam specials were good ones. Most recently I saw the Africa special and it was really nice but not beautiful.

North Pole Special

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Heran Bago posted:

The one you saw was the Vietnam special, and yeah, it's endlessly rewatchable. Burma is this most recent one. I also highly recommend the Bolivia special; it's a similar deal, they drive through the Amazon and across South America in 4x4s bought sight unseen off the Internet. The US and Polar specials are slightly less memorable, but still well worth watching. The Winter Olympics special dragged a tad, but still had some moments of gold. I haven't seen India, but by all accounts it's Burma done worse.

For pure scenery I'd say Bolivia, Vietnam or Polar. US special has some fantastic bonding moments between the hosts.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't remember the Bolivia special and the other two were a real treat. Sad to hear about the India special and I haven't seen the Burma special either.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PlasticSun posted:

North Pole Special

Yeah this one is still my favorite, just for the sheer difficulty. Pretty awesome that Top Gear were the first people to ever drive to the north pole.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Which special had Oliver the Opel?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Which special had Oliver the Opel?
Botswana.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah this one is still my favorite, just for the sheer difficulty. Pretty awesome that Top Gear were the first people to ever drive to the north pole.

Every time I watch that special I crack up laughing at James and Jeremy drinking gin and tonic 'on international waters'

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Drink driving is highly illegal, but we're not driving, we're sailing!"

So good.

The segment with the special forces guy was fantastic, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It feels like they had to get their contracts with the BBC very carefully written to allow them to do anything that is legal to do wherever they are currently at.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

It feels like they had to get their contracts with the BBC very carefully written to allow them to do anything that is legal to do wherever they are currently at.

I was thinking something similar in the bridge building section.

I'm pretty sure you would NEVER be able to have employees working in conditions like that in the UK.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

And that still caused a huge fuss after the episode was aired.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Like what? That all the locals weren't wearing hard hats or vests while they stood in the river? I doubt there was a hard hat within 100 miles let alone trying to convince them to wear one.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably that, the lack of safety equipment and the lack of the morning safety meeting before beginning work.

Also tipping the crane over too, I bet.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Don't tell anyone but I think the crane might have been staged. Particularly since they focused on the beam itself and don't show the truck itself. Plus Jezzas pretty relaxed expression after just tipping over.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Overall I though the Burma special was fantastic, both parts had me captivated. Definitely added to my destination list!

And yeah the India special was awful - Vietnam, Bolivia, Botswana and now Burma I think are the best. Honourable mention for the polar special as well, I remember it being great though I haven't watched it for a long time.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I was referring to the drinking and sailing, I think the BBC had to do an investigation etc.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm going to say the thousand dollar car in the south. It's less about the cars and more about the relationship they forge with them.

Not to mention it does not feel too scripted and really gives the impression it's just some friends hanging out.

Ok I'm blocking out the cow.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

djdanno13 posted:

Don't tell anyone but I think the crane might have been staged. Particularly since they focused on the beam itself and don't show the truck itself. Plus Jezzas pretty relaxed expression after just tipping over.

I'm pretty sure they were filming it for comedic effect ("look how much bigger it is than May's puny crane. We can carry two bundles of bamboo and look how long the boom is...") and then it tipped over because it didn't have the outriggers deployed and had to boom extended all the way out while moving. Also the camera at the end of Jeremy's crane showed that it was rotated slightly and he'd just driven onto the berm on the side of the road to go around James when it tipped over. Its all static shots until the guy filming May's crane zips over to see what the hell is going on and then its a bunch of cameramen trying to get shots of something they hadn't planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nile special yet. I thought that one was amazing. It's near the top for me along with Bolivia and Vietnam.