Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Jake Armitage posted:

Your definition of Occam's Razor says that if we don't know something, the best explanation is "we don't know". Also, "the simplest explanation is the correct one" and "the simplest explanation is correct" are the same thing.

Occam's Razor would choose "the plane exploded into dust over the ocean" since its the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions. Occam's Razor doesn't tell you what the facts are, it helps you decide which theory is worth pursuing.

I feel like a really goony joke just went over my head.

No. My definition (and the definition of Occam's razor) says that we choose what we do know and what we do have facts for.

If you consider "the simplest explanation is the correct one" and "the simplest explanation is correct" to be the same thing then I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a native English speaker. Or even an English speaker. Or even a speaker.

I mean for fucks sake this poo poo is on the wikipedia page for crying out loud and apparently you can't even be bothered to check that before you try to debate me.

The wiki sums it up thus: The sun, moon and other solar system planets can be described as revolving around the Earth. Still that explanation is unnecessarily complex compared to the modern consensus that all solar system planets revolve around the Sun.

We know the plane has disappeared. We know this. We have no doubt about this. And yet you have just stated that it has obviously "exploded into dust over the ocean"; whilst that may have happened you have not, in any way argued against my fact. Until you can give any sort of explanation as to how the plane has not disappeared you are directly working against Occam's razor.

I am constantly amazed by how people can be so confused by this principle but hopefully this makes it clear for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCJRybAtso

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Zogo posted:

JT: Do you, uh, live over in Arkansas, Dave, or...?
DS: Naw, I live in Fisherville.
JT: Aw, Fisherville, great spot.
(Sounds of hammer blows striking pilots.)
AP: Ow!
JT: God!
JT: Oh, ah, poo poo.
DS: God almighty!
AP: Ow!
JT: What the gently caress are you doing?

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

duckmaster posted:

No. My definition (and the definition of Occam's razor) says that we choose what we do know and what we do have facts for.

If you consider "the simplest explanation is the correct one" and "the simplest explanation is correct" to be the same thing then I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a native English speaker. Or even an English speaker. Or even a speaker.

I mean for fucks sake this poo poo is on the wikipedia page for crying out loud and apparently you can't even be bothered to check that before you try to debate me.

The wiki sums it up thus: The sun, moon and other solar system planets can be described as revolving around the Earth. Still that explanation is unnecessarily complex compared to the modern consensus that all solar system planets revolve around the Sun.

We know the plane has disappeared. We know this. We have no doubt about this. And yet you have just stated that it has obviously "exploded into dust over the ocean"; whilst that may have happened you have not, in any way argued against my fact. Until you can give any sort of explanation as to how the plane has not disappeared you are directly working against Occam's razor.

I am constantly amazed by how people can be so confused by this principle but hopefully this makes it clear for you :)

from Wikipedia:

It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

I hope your posts explode into dust over the ocean.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
My girlfriend has a secret landing strip and if you ask her very nicely she'll show it to you.

j/k I don't have a girlfriend

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Occam sucked. Positivism sucks and is for nerds. This plane obviously went into the hell dimension from Event Horizon.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Zero One posted:

That's an A380

:effort:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

duckmaster posted:

"The plane disappeared" is an observation. "Occam's razor" pertains to hypotheses for why the plane disappeared. Specifically, it says that we should prefer the most parsimonious hypothesis for why the plane disappeared.

For example, it is more parsimonious to think that the plane crashed than that it was hijacked by the illuminati who will use it for a false flag terrorist attack.

Harald fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 17, 2014

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Who's Ocam and why does he have a razor

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
New CNN theory:

quote:

"Especially today, on a day when we deal with the supernatural, we go to church, the supernatural power of God. You deal with all of that," Lemon said to Meltzer. "People are saying to me, why aren't you talking about the possibility -- and I'm just putting it out there -- that something odd happened to this plane, something beyond our understanding?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cnn-don-lemon-missing-malaysia-jet-supernatural

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

awesome-express posted:

He needed to shave, so he stole the plane.

Simplest explanation.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

lmao, It was only a matter of time.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Milla Jovovich on right?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

awesome-express posted:

I really wish nobody had ever watched the movie Contact. Then nobody would ever know what Occam's razor is and we'd all be happy.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Copley Depot posted:

"The plane disappeared" is an observation. "Occam's razor" pertains to hypotheses for why the plane disappeared. Specifically, it says that we should prefer the most parsimonious hypothesis for why the plane disappeared.

For example, it is more parsimonious to think that the plane crashed than that it was hijacked by the illuminati who will use it for a false flag terrorist attack.

Could you possibly rewrite that without using words you clearly just stole from the wikipedia article I told you to read. Thanks :)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Dreamlogic posted:

from Wikipedia:

It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

I hope your posts explode into dust over the ocean.

Hypothesis 1: The plane was hijacked by terrorists. Evidence:

• Terrorists boarded the plane
  • Terrorists somehow took over the plane
  • Terrorists flew the plane somewhere and did something with it

Hypothesis 2: The plane disappeared. Evidence:

• Turn on a television

Hypothesis 1 does not fit Occam's razor. Hypothesis 2 does. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Dreamlogic posted:

I keep seeing this story from sources I'm not familiar with, so I'm not sure if it's been verified, but ALLEGEDLY the pilot's wife and kids moved out the day before the flight.

http://www.ryot.org/flight-370-pilot-political-fanatic/604929

If true, this definitely makes pilot suicide/pilot hijacking the likely scenario IMO. If he lost his family, and his political hero was just thrown in jail, those are the kind of circumstances in which middle aged men go crazy and kill themselves/other people.

Alt theory: for above reasons he was planning the Malaysian 9/11, hence circling back over Malaysian airspace. But he either lost his nerve and killed himself, or was overpowered by passengers, then no one knew how to fly the plane so they crashed into the Indian Ocean :(

The origin of the phrase 'running amok'

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

Hypothesis 1 does not fit Occam's razor. Hypothesis 2 does. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Seriously, guys, what's so hard to understand?

The plane lost its connection to the Platonic ideal of 'plane' and dissipated into the ether.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

Hypothesis 2 is not a Hypothesis but a fact. A Hypothesis would be something explaining this fact hth

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television
hypothesis number 2 is not a hypothesis, it's just you restating what happened. A hypothesis needs to offer some degree of explanation.

Oooh beaten

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Is there a finder's fee?

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

As you yourself said, "the plane disappeared" is a fact, not a hypothesis. You don't need to apply Occam's razor to determine that because it's been clearly established. What are you trying to accomplish here.

edit: beaten by everyone because you're so wrong

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

Also you forgot the smiley at the end of your post. I'm not sure what to think now.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Go home you guys, Courtney Love solved the mystery

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Moon theory was right after all

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dreamlogic posted:

As you yourself said, "the plane disappeared" is a fact, not a hypothesis. You don't need to apply Occam's razor to determine that because it's been clearly established. What are you trying to accomplish here.

It's the Allegory of the Gooncave, it think.

Right now he's the goon in the cave, only able to see vague silhouettes of Wikipedia articles cast by the glow of an LCD screen, trying to form his worldview.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Can we change thread to "occams razor mega thread" and then :gas: promptly thanks!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The plane didn't disappear. We just don't know where it is, or the condition it's in.

When you put the cat outside for the night it doesn't disappear, you just don't know where it is. Even if the cat explodes over the ocean and never comes home it didn't disappear, if anything it was more visable while on fire. Even if the cat crashed into the ocean like this plane obviously did, you could still see it if you knew where to look.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately it appears mastery of ducks does not lead to mastery of logic, reasoning, or apparently even reading comprehension.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The plane didn't disappear. We just don't know where it is, or the condition it's in.

When you put the cat outside for the night it doesn't disappear, you just don't know where it is. Even if the cat explodes over the ocean and never comes home it didn't disappear, if anything it was more visable while on fire. Even if the cat crashed into the ocean like this plane obviously did, you could still see it if you knew where to look.

makes u think

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

Oh wow, didn't realize that phrase came from Malaysian culture specifically. While on one hand I feel bad speculating this about a guy I don't know from Adam, on the other hand it makes more sense than anything else I've heard.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
The reality is that nobody knows where the plane is so it exists in a hyperstate where it neither exists nor doesn't exist. It's not until we find the plane that the wave function collapses and everyone is either dead or on Mars.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

Came straight to the last page of the thread, did not disappoint. Looking forward to your dawning realisation in later posts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

To be fair the idea of using Occam's Razor to justify saying "The pilot did a suicide" in addition to "The plane crashed" is preeeety dumb. The simplest explanation is that the plane crashed, but once you start getting into the reasons it crashed then that blows simple out the window. We know that the pilot willfully changed course and followed a bunch of nav beacons, so that kind of rules out "Eh well mate you see the rudder probably fell off at some point" and you have to start considering crazier poo poo.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

duckmaster posted:

• Turn on a television

Beautiful, you have an even smaller understanding of hypotheses than first year science students.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Skipjack posted:

plane literally occupies all possible dimensions of planeliness at once pending waveform collapse by anybody knowing what the gently caress is going on anymore

Oh drat, I was beaten.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

bonestructure posted:

The hot new theory comes from tumblr. This one is apparently gaining some traction even among sane people.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/

Edit: whoops, beaten all to gently caress by Kevin Pleasure a few pages ago, but check out the whole theory, it makes an interesting if not completely plausible read.

:tinfoil: I think you might be putting too much faith in Malay radar. How do you know they didnt just start tracking SIA68/SQ68 as a cover up while aliens hijacked the plane over Vietnam to land on the moon?

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
I wish a plane full of people who debate Occam's Razor would disappear.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ILL ON PZONES posted:

I wish a plane full of people who debate Occam's Razor would disappear.

Tower this is Hotel Hotel 1488 I seem to have lost my upvote button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When I saw that last night I thought that if I had to be in a plane crash I'd want it to be something cool at least. http://youtu.be/ctHltBauGc8?t=1m5s

• Locked thread