Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
OK I lurk here a bunch, but in all seriousness, Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club, Hamburg, is a pretty amazing live album. Jerry Lee angry and drunk and outrunning his backing band while talking poo poo to them. Even if you don't like him, and there are numerous reasons not to, it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
It's been a monochrome time for me, lately. All different artists (tapes on one label, record on another). Record is screen printed, but the cassettes are Xeroxed.

DMX Krew normally makes very tongue in cheek 80s synthpop/electro, but the last couple releases (particularly) has him much more atmospheric and experimental.
https://soundcloud.com/mystic-quantum-records/dmx-krew-standing-stones-lp-m

The cassettes were mostly purchased because of the packaging, but I can always use more ambient and noise. Sold out now, but free downloads if you want some tunes:
https://lavachurch.bandcamp.com/album/meditating-in-the-floodwaters
https://lavachurch.bandcamp.com/album/a-disease-called-man

Also, to add something more worthwhile and cautionary: I noticed that the juno.co.uk ebay had the DMX Krew disc for much more than their regular store ($30 before shipping instead of like $22). I don't know how many others they sell follow this trend, but if you see something sold on ebay from junorecords check their main site and compare prices - shouldn't be different, but no sense paying more. Especially the case with international shipping which was around $6 on the website, but $9 on ebay. C'mon!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Doorstop posted:

OK I lurk here a bunch, but in all seriousness, Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club, Hamburg, is a pretty amazing live album. Jerry Lee angry and drunk and outrunning his backing band while talking poo poo to them. Even if you don't like him, and there are numerous reasons not to, it is amazing.

Seconding this. It's right up there with James Brown's "Live at the Apollo 1963" and Sam Cooke's "Live at the Harlem Square Club" (the latter of which is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time, live or otherwise).

The only thing I don't like about the Jerry Lee Lewis LP is that I once scored a clean $6 original UK copy from Discogs... only to have it arrive cracked in one of those flimsy paperboard mailers. :ohdear: It still plays through, and I've since found a second copy (albeit scratchier), but that one will always bug me.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 17, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, I was just going to say... anyone who poo poo-talks live albums clearly isn't a soul music fan. James Brown at the Apollo, Sam Cooke at Harlem Square, Bill Withers at Carnegie Hall, Curtis/Live!

Soul takes on a whole different sound in the live setting.

sodriveme
Jan 21, 2003

No Fist
I always lurk this thread and figured I should contribute. Went to a local record fair and picked all of these albums up with the exception of the new National album which I grabbed from a local store. Got most of them for around $4, just to fill in some random holes in my collection, all of them are in VG condition and are OG presses with the exception of the NIN, and metallica.

Picture of my current set up which will be phased out over this year as I start to upgrade. I just moved into a new place so apologies for lack of cord management.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Should I try to buy 180gr reissues or older stuff in good condition. The 180gr should sound better right? Buying off discogs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spacebrospiff posted:

Should I try to buy 180gr reissues or older stuff in good condition. The 180gr should sound better right? Buying off discogs.

There's no reason why it should.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

OK, thanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When it comes to vinyl records, whether it be the hardware or the actual recordings, basically everything is more or less a scam.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, 180 g seems like an excuse to charge more for the same thing. The record equivalent of those 24karat gold cd's from the 90's, except if record companies decided to exclusively press 24 k gold cd's as a business model.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course there are reissues of particular records that sound better than the originals and they may or may not be on 180 gram or heavier plastic :shrug: A lot of CDs also sound better than the original LPs :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

180g is pretty sweet, but I'd take an original almost every time over a reissue if at all possible.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

The physical weight from just holding the disc probably creates a false idea that the sound is fuller/more substantial. I don't but 180g for 180g, albums I want just happen to be that weight. I must admit they do feel better. I've had some flimsy records, and I can't help but think that affects how I perceive the sound.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

I thought the idea was that heavier records were less prone to warping

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
In school I'm taking a fundamentals of public speaking class. For our Demonstration speech I showed the class "Advanced ebay searching and finding the value of things". As my "attention getter" I asked the class how much did they think Michael Jackson's Thriller on vinyl was worth. The serious answers were $50-80ish. Then while doing the searching I found the cheapest buy it now and bought it to prove a point. Paid like $7. Any creative ideas on what I should do with it now? I already have a copy, and it might not be in great shape since I didn't look at the description because the speech had a time limit and I was doing it live.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Make a bitchin bowl.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

If it's the picture disc, it would make an even cooler bowl. Would that work, or would the paper mess up the curvature?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

feat. posted:

I thought the idea was that heavier records were less prone to warping

Records only warp if you do dumb poo poo though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Finally able to grab this from my local record store (he never made the order until last week).

It's the SUNN200 pressing, and the poster didn't actually come with the album; it was just a promotional thing he gave to me (since they gave him like 6).

Now we just have to wait for Southern Lord to repress The Bees Made Honey. You'd think how money hungry they are they'd have repressed it 20 times already.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

spacebrospiff posted:

It's got very little to do with the thickness of the vinyl. The whole 180 gram thing is mostly a marketing gimmick. What matters is if and how it was remastered. If it has some stuff about it being an all analog pressing or cut from the original tapes it's a good buy. Otherwise you'll most likely be better off buying an older pressing because (other than rare albums) those are cheaper.

Fors Yard posted:

The physical weight from just holding the disc probably creates a false idea that the sound is fuller/more substantial. I don't but 180g for 180g, albums I want just happen to be that weight. I must admit they do feel better. I've had some flimsy records, and I can't help but think that affects how I perceive the sound.

The only objective benefit of the heavier disc seems to be that they're less prone to warping. I have albums on dynaflex discs that sound amazing just like I have stuff on 180g that sounds like poo poo. And vice versa. It's all in the mastering and the quality of the pressing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

I have some heavy-rear end speaker cables I'd like to show you. The soundstage is incredible with these badboys.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
There's actually a manufacturers that suggest that 180g is more prone to warping during manufacturing due to uneven cooling coming off a press that was basically designed for 120/140 and they're just using a bigger biscuit. To be clear, this is usually just a slight DNAP warp and nerds need to unclench.

A local soul food place here's interior is nothing but what I'd guess is one of the (younger) owner's parent's record collection nailed/stapled to the walls. Lots of what was probably a pretty nice hard bop collection, DG Riverside/Jazzland, early-ish Atlantic, later Prestige, cover to a mono Giant Steps is stapled above the booth I always get. At least the 45s on the wall aren't anything special. I ain't mad, really good chicken & eggnog waffles.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

3dou posted:

Finally able to grab this from my local record store (he never made the order until last week).

It's the SUNN200 pressing, and the poster didn't actually come with the album; it was just a promotional thing he gave to me (since they gave him like 6).

Now we just have to wait for Southern Lord to repress The Bees Made Honey. You'd think how money hungry they are they'd have repressed it 20 times already.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I forgot that was coming out. Need.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

cosmicjim posted:

In school I'm taking a fundamentals of public speaking class. For our Demonstration speech I showed the class "Advanced ebay searching and finding the value of things". As my "attention getter" I asked the class how much did they think Michael Jackson's Thriller on vinyl was worth. The serious answers were $50-80ish. Then while doing the searching I found the cheapest buy it now and bought it to prove a point. Paid like $7. Any creative ideas on what I should do with it now? I already have a copy, and it might not be in great shape since I didn't look at the description because the speech had a time limit and I was doing it live.

Lol you paid $7 for Thriller

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I have some heavy-rear end speaker cables I'd like to show you. The soundstage is incredible with these badboys.

nice bet theyre thick for the proper tranfser of TONE

(I'm starting to get this thread confused with the GBS guitar/instrument thread)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fors Yard posted:

(I'm starting to get this thread confused with the GBS guitar/instrument thread)

I did that too! I'm sure that guitar tone nerds have a lot in common with vinyl warmth adherents, so it's not completely off base.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

10 dollars too many

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

answersyouseek posted:

I only did it as a stunt. LEAVE ME ALONE!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

I did that too! I'm sure that guitar tone nerds have a lot in common with vinyl warmth adherents, so it's not completely off base.

Every time I hear someone say that they can hear the difference between a rosewood fretboard and a maple fretboard I want to scream.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I was talking with a coworker, who is kind of an insufferable film nerd, and he was talking about his friend who got this new stereo system, and how it was almost too clear. He said he could hear pockets rustling in a Beatles record, and buttons pressing on the synth/samplers on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love. Yeah fuckin' right. I can maybe understand the first, but synths/samplers of that era are sequenced, and more than likely recorded straight in, not amplified.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gorguts -Obscura (2xLP)

Acquired from their Decibel tour. I don't usually splurge for vinyl at merch booths, but I'll do it for loving Gorguts. Can't wait to spin this.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fors Yard posted:

I was talking with a coworker, who is kind of an insufferable film nerd, and he was talking about his friend who got this new stereo system, and how it was almost too clear. He said he could hear pockets rustling in a Beatles record, and buttons pressing on the synth/samplers on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love. Yeah fuckin' right. I can maybe understand the first, but synths/samplers of that era are sequenced, and more than likely recorded straight in, not amplified.

Talking to people about audio can be like talking to a crazy conspiracy nut. They start making these bold claims. Like, I've heard people say "Oh, in this release of the Beatles, it sounds like they are in the room with you." Which is just absurd. I'm sure this stuff is just wankery. He's just trying to show people how impressive his hearing is that he's picking up sounds that couldn't possibly be discerned as these things, even if they were picked up by the mics. A lot of things can sound like pockets rustling. Like, maybe he heard tape hiss?

That, or the infamous Beatles songs were Paul's keys were jangling just a little too much?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

sodriveme posted:

Picture of my current set up which will be phased out over this year as I start to upgrade. I just moved into a new place so apologies for lack of cord management.

Whatup, SL-D3 buddy! Mine is about to get a recap soon as it isn't running too well.

Yesterday I discovered something I need.

Runs off 4 AAs or a DC power source, can be wall mounted or fully portable. Crazy little thing. Shame they seem to be around the same price as a 1200.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I need that, too. In a garbage can.

\/\/\/ Okay, that's actually not a bad idea.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 19, 2014

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Pshh :(

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it as a main player or anything. Would be for shopping mainly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Gorguts -Obscura (2xLP)

Acquired from their Decibel tour. I don't usually splurge for vinyl at merch booths, but I'll do it for loving Gorguts. Can't wait to spin this.

Your image isn't loading, but is this a re-press? Would love to pick that up

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Talking to people about audio can be like talking to a crazy conspiracy nut. They start making these bold claims. Like, I've heard people say "Oh, in this release of the Beatles, it sounds like they are in the room with you." Which is just absurd. I'm sure this stuff is just wankery. He's just trying to show people how impressive his hearing is that he's picking up sounds that couldn't possibly be discerned as these things, even if they were picked up by the mics. A lot of things can sound like pockets rustling. Like, maybe he heard tape hiss?

That, or the infamous Beatles songs were Paul's keys were jangling just a little too much?

George Martin was notorious for eating crackers during their recording sessions. The executives at Capitol Records absolutely hated this and mastered the albums so his constant snacking was rendered inaudible.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If you listen faintly on the vocal tracks, you can hear Ringo asking "Can I play the drums yet? Is this where I play the drums? Where are the drums?"

Unless of course he's singing. In which case, on the drum track, you can hear him say "Do you want me to sing right now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Quite happy to pick this up from my local record store today: