Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't realize using a non-standard cable means the mouse stays in wireless mode, albeit while still charging. However, I've never noticed any input lag either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ynglaur posted:

I didn't realize using a non-standard cable means the mouse stays in wireless mode, albeit while still charging. However, I've never noticed any input lag either way.

It does not. My wireless adapter and charging cable swap places when I need them to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ynglaur posted:

No, it doesn't. It's just that the specific cable I found to be sufficiently flexible, the charge cord from my G930 headset's desktop USB "puck", is a charge-only cord. It doesn't have the data lines hooked up as they're instead hooked to the USB port in top of the puck where the wireless transmitter is supposed to go. The other proper microUSB cables I've used, while no less stiff than the OEM cord, worked as expected for data transfer making the mouse work in wired mode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat, Logitech support is not really helping me out here. The G602 has a DPI shift button that lets you switch DPI while it's held down, and it goes back when you release. The DPI indicator lights also light up when you press and release--except when you use the mouse in on-board mode. Support said that it's because there aren't Windows 8 drivers, and when I tried it on Windows 7 and it still didn't work, they went straight to telling me to return the mouse or file a warranty claim.

Is it just a hardware limitation or is my mouse actually defective?

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014
In my experience, the wired mice are always more responsive, and last longer.
And every mouse is made with planned obsolescence, so paying that much for ANY one is donkey balls.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153114

Deathadder comes in righty or lefty for the same price, and that's full retail. Mine's lasted 3 years and counting under heavy use.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

404notfound posted:

Is it just a hardware limitation or is my mouse actually defective?

Mine does the same. I'm going to go with hardware limitation -- in on-board mode, having drivers shouldn't mean poo poo since the mouse doesn't actually communicate with said drivers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RealDeadTom posted:

In my experience, the wired mice are always more responsive, and last longer.
And every mouse is made with planned obsolescence, so paying that much for ANY one is donkey balls.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153114

Deathadder comes in righty or lefty for the same price, and that's full retail. Mine's lasted 3 years and counting under heavy use.

Mice and keyboards are probably the computer components with the least amount of obsolescence, though.

And then to say that a Razer product is the way to try and get around that :psyduck:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Inspector_666 posted:

Mice and keyboards are probably the computer components with the least amount of obsolescence, though.

And then to say that a Razer product is the way to try and get around that :psyduck:

The use case of Razer products is having overpriced flashy green l33t gamer poo poo with a turnaround of six months to a year.

In those circumstances, I can see how someone who's only ever used $1 thrift store mice and RAZER would come to think peripherals should only last that much.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

Arguable. I've had mice with terrible lifespans (< 1 year), Razer included (Naga).

I definitely wasn't saying they're the endgame of mice. In fact, I didn't even say the Razer brand was the way to go.

Just that my experience with that mouse was excellent. I've also heard of 2 other similar cases.

Nephilm posted:

The use case of Razer products is having overpriced flashy green l33t gamer poo poo with a turnaround of six months to a year.

In those circumstances, I can see how someone who's only ever used $1 thrift store mice and RAZER would come to think peripherals should only last that much.

How long do YOU think they should last? Everyone's perception of value based on that is different.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Around 5 years without defects for any mouse, and ~10 for $15 keyboards.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Nephilm posted:

Around 5 years without defects for any mouse, and ~10 for $15 keyboards.

If any company made quality mice for a good price, and didn't see every customer for another 5 years, they wouldn't be in business for long XD.

It's more mice, people want new keyboards for aesthetics more than anything, rather than defects/replacements. Those do last a long time.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Jan posted:

Mine does the same. I'm going to go with hardware limitation -- in on-board mode, having drivers shouldn't mean poo poo since the mouse doesn't actually communicate with said drivers.
This is correct. It seems that DPI Shift indicator lighting for G602 is a function of LGS, not the device's firmware. So while the function works in onboard mode, the indicator portion of it does not.

I don't know the rationale behind this decision. It isn't something I remember discussing with anyone as part of feature definition.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RealDeadTom posted:

If any company made quality mice for a good price, and didn't see every customer for another 5 years, they wouldn't be in business for long XD.

So yeah, you've just been buying lovely mice then.

My Microsoft Explorer wireless KB/M set worked for 5+ years until it stopped syncing with the BT, so I pulled out my well over 5 year old USB Intellimouse to use.

Somewhere in there I had a Deathadder that lasted me a year and change, maybe 2.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2014

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

So yeah, you've just been buying lovely mice then.

My Microsoft Explorer wireless KB/M set worked for 5+ years until it stopped syncing with the BT, so I pulled out my well over 5 year old USB Intellimouse to use.

Somewhere in there I had a Deathadder that lasted me a year and change, maybe 2.

It's the same concept universally with electronics, vehicles, etc. Like I said, if everything lasted forever, no one would be in business.

Sure, there are cases where you manage to squeeze more value out of a product than the manufacturer intended. Like with my deathadder, or either of your 5+ year old mice.

Also, I bet you enjoyed that deathadder much more than the microsoft mice.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

RealDeadTom posted:

It's more mice, people want new keyboards for aesthetics more than anything, rather than defects/replacements. Those do last a long time.

RealDeadTom posted:

It's the same concept universally with electronics, vehicles, etc. Like I said, if everything lasted forever, no one would be in business.

Sure, there are cases where you manage to squeeze more value out of a product than the manufacturer intended. Like with my deathadder, or either of your 5+ year old mice.

You're right, now that I think about it there's no market for long lasting electronic devices and peripherals. Businesses just *love* replacing computers on a yearly basis, and the average user is just looking forward for the next color of keyboard they'll use, the money burning in their pocket, and every company is so set on the planned obsolescence policy that they all offer year-long warranties at most, just like industry titan Razer.

And cars, don't get me started on cars. Pretty much only slum trash with no self-respect dares keep the same model for more than two years straight.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Nephilm posted:

You're right, now that I think about it there's no market for long lasting electronic devices and peripherals. Businesses just *love* replacing computers on a yearly basis, and the average user is just looking forward for the next color of keyboard they'll use, the money burning in their pocket, and every company is so set on the planned obsolescence policy that they all offer year-long warranties at most, just like industry titan Razer.

And cars, don't get me started on cars. Pretty much only slum trash with no self-respect dares keep the same model for more than two years straight.

I don't know how much of a titan Razer is, but there you go.

Right? What kind of cardboard box are they living out of. 2 year leases for this guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RealDeadTom posted:

Actually, no. The Deathadder was kind of a piece of poo poo that stopped working after a year or so. Even before it totally kicked the bucket the scroll wheel stopped working properly. At best it was no better than the Explorer mouse.

If the BT Explorer set hadn't crapped out I would have happily kept using that forever.

Your first argument was that everything is crap and fails all the time, now you're saying that paying more for something that fails sooner is a better deal or... I don't even really get it.

EDIT; Mice, keyboards and monitors should outlast your computer internals (physically, at least, personal preference for upgrades obviously plays in) and the only mouse I've owned so far that hasn't met that standard was the Deathadder, which didn't even try.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 17, 2014

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually, no. The Deathadder was kind of a piece of poo poo that stopped working after a year or so. Even before it totally kicked the bucket the scroll wheel stopped working properly. At best it was no better than the Explorer mouse.

If the BT Explorer set hadn't crapped out I would have happily kept using that forever.

Your first argument was that everything is crap and fails all the time, now you're saying that paying more for something that fails sooner is a better deal or... I don't even really get it.

EDIT; Mice, keyboards and monitors should outlast your computer internals (physically, at least, personal preference for upgrades obviously plays in) and the only mouse I've owned so far that hasn't met that standard was the Deathadder, which didn't even try.

Whelp. That's unfortunate. I like mine very much after 3 years, no defects. Software is nice as well.

Nahh, you didn't get it. I actually didn't even talk about a better deal.

Some people get a lot more value out of a product than most do, like with our mice, for example.

But that doesn't change the average. In most cases, the product does not last as long as it could.

If the company put more time and money into better construction, they sure would. But then people are buying less product at less profit for them.

So all of those products are designed to last just long enough, and be just good enough, to keep the return business.

I'd agree. 5 years is an unreasonable expectation for mice, however. Personally, 60$ every two years for a great gaming mouse is solid. That's about how often I upgrade components or change PC's entirely. Not saying everyone should do that with their PC's, that's just me.

Monitors are a different ball game, they pretty much last as long as you want them to, same with keyboards (Accidents excluded).

EDIT; Grammar, whoops.

RealDeadTom fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Goo posted:

This is correct. It seems that DPI Shift indicator lighting for G602 is a function of LGS, not the device's firmware. So while the function works in onboard mode, the indicator portion of it does not.

I don't know the rationale behind this decision. It isn't something I remember discussing with anyone as part of feature definition.

Thanks for clearing that up. Not a big deal, though I wonder which part of the customer support script told the rep that my mouse was a write-off.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RealDeadTom posted:

Whelp. That's unfortunate.

You are a terrible consumer and a warning to others. 60$ every two years for a loving mouse?

I would advise anyone who has to pay rent or a mortgage to ignore you.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
A probably stupid question for Goo:

I (think that I) managed to kill my g602 from liquid exposure.
Do I have any way of getting an operational unit, outside of just, you know, buying another?
Like, could I pay to exchange it for a refurb? Or pay to get whatever actually broke fixed?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

WARNING, ANECDOTAL: I've had a DeathAdder for running on four years now without any problems, so I guess I'm a little lucky and thankful for it. The weird soft-touch material makes it a horrible dust and oil magnet, though. But I will say that I have just about the same level of responsiveness from the $15 Dell business mice I use at work, so I'll probably get something much simpler whenever I get around to it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
How do you guys manage to keep the same mouse for multiple years without getting bored of it, or finding something better?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

How do you guys manage to keep the same mouse for multiple years without getting bored of it, or finding something better?

Because my mouse clicks things, and therefore does it's job and that's all I really care about?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Lord Bude posted:

How does one get bored of a mouse?

I can see finding something better, sure, or having to replace it and the same model not being available if you already liked what you had (I'd still be using an MX Revolution if they were making them new, warts and all I loved that mouse and I could deal with the latency but I can't deal with paying progressively stupider $$$ for the same thing because new old stock on it just keeps going up, up, up in price).

But if you are happy with what you have, and it meets your needs... why change?

Not sure I understand the concept of getting bored with utility peripherals.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Lord Bude posted:

how the gently caress do you get 'bored' of a mouse

I spend a lot of time finding one that feels right to me, and then cling on to it for as long as humanly possible.

I use a logitech g9x and it is the greatest mouse I've ever used. I had a logitech mx 1000 from like 2004 before that, which I kept for like 6-7 years. before that I had some giant clunky heavy microsoft mouse with a million buttons that I adored for many years.

anyways, I've had my g9x for probably 4 years now, and can't see getting rid of it any time soon. works great!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mindphlux posted:

how the gently caress do you get 'bored' of a mouse

I spend a lot of time finding one that feels right to me, and then cling on to it for as long as humanly possible.

I use a logitech g9x and it is the greatest mouse I've ever used. I had a logitech mx 1000 from like 2004 before that, which I kept for like 6-7 years. before that I had some giant clunky heavy microsoft mouse with a million buttons that I adored for many years.

anyways, I've had my g9x for probably 4 years now, and can't see getting rid of it any time soon. works great!

Well, after a while you start wondering if there is something even better out there, and you start getting an urge to buy new shiny computer stuff.

having a new thing to look at is very satisfying.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Bored is the word you decided to go with, here?

E: whatever. we shouldn't continue this discussion, it helps no one coming to this thread hoping to find a good mouse that will last.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

The Lord Bude posted:

Well, after a while you start wondering if there is something even better out there, and you start getting an urge to buy new shiny computer stuff.

Sure. Buy something new, try it for a while, then realize what I had was better and flip the new poo poo out or have it as backup. It's like toilet paper.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
is there anything better than the g9x out there? because this poo poo is loving ace

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The Lord Bude posted:

Coincidentally, I get this urge every 5-6 years, right around the time I replace my whole PC!

I could see someone with a steady income and no family obligations get into a groove where they replace their pc parts every year or two. I'm rather poor, so I need things to maintain a certain level of functional for long periods of time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I use helping people pick out there stuff in the parts picking thread as a substitute to buying my own shiny new poo poo all the time to stave off my cravings. It's been remarkably effective.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a G100s awhile ago because I wanted to see how it was compared to my old G1. While the specs and parts are technically better, I think I liked the feel of the G1's tracking more, even though they're essentially the same shape and size.

Of course, paying $20 for the experience, not out of necessity,since I also have a kinzu v2, a m305, said G1, a couple of crappy logitech/microsoft mice I hate, and recently a cheap hp optical I got for free, all of which still work.

e: Oh yeah a e-blue Cobra (junior) I got because super cheap on Amazon. One of them is on my nephew's LoL machine and it astounds me that it still seems to work well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mindphlux posted:

is there anything better than the g9x out there? because this poo poo is loving ace

ur livin' like poo poo right now without a g700s

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

Uh, I don't get bored of my mouse. I've a first and second gen MX518, and they both work fine. I just keep them clean, and that pretty much stops any problems.

vv I've had an original first gen Ratpadz forever. I can definitely understand why you'd want to buy new things, but I guess I've gotten better at prioritising what I should actually spend my money on

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 18, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe I just have a shopping abuse problem then. I tell you what doesn't last as long as it should - Gaming mouse mats. I've never had one last long enough for me to get bored of it.

Has nobody seriously thought to put a couple of mm of plastic or rubber or something around the edge of the mat so that the cloth surface doesn't start to lift and peel away from the rubber base?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe I just have a shopping abuse problem then. I tell you what doesn't last as long as it should - Gaming mouse mats. I've never had one last long enough for me to get bored of it.

Has nobody seriously thought to put a couple of mm of plastic or rubber or something around the edge of the mat so that the cloth surface doesn't start to lift and peel away from the rubber base?

If you spend more than $5 you can get a mat that's stitched around the edges. I have a Razer Goliathus that covers both the mouse and keyboard, and I really like it.

I had a spate where I couldn't find a mouse I liked for every use (I both work from home and play games). Ever since I started playing WoW, I've been unsatisfied with my mouse for one reason or another. I've had: MX518, G9x, Naga (old), G700, Sharkoon Drakonia, Performance MX, Naga (2014) and didn't get on with them for one reason or another. The Naga 2014 was the most comfortable for gaming, but I kept pressing the side buttons while working. I've settled on a G602, as being the first mouse that covers both the home and play angles without feeling like a compromise. One of the drawers in my desk is like a shrine to mice.

Hopefully the G602 doesn't develop a fault because I really don't want to have to find another one. I've spent way too much on mice in the last few years.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Betjeman posted:

If you spend more than $5 you can get a mat that's stitched around the edges. I have a Razer Goliathus that covers both the mouse and keyboard, and I really like it.

I had a spate where I couldn't find a mouse I liked for every use (I both work from home and play games). Ever since I started playing WoW, I've been unsatisfied with my mouse for one reason or another. I've had: MX518, G9x, Naga (old), G700, Sharkoon Drakonia, Performance MX, Naga (2014) and didn't get on with them for one reason or another. The Naga 2014 was the most comfortable for gaming, but I kept pressing the side buttons while working. I've settled on a G602, as being the first mouse that covers both the home and play angles without feeling like a compromise. One of the drawers in my desk is like a shrine to mice.

Hopefully the G602 doesn't develop a fault because I really don't want to have to find another one. I've spent way too much on mice in the last few years.

My current steelseries mousepad cost like $40. I don't think those new logitech pads are stitched, but I'll look into the razer ones.

Edit: just saw what the razer goliathus looks like. No way is that going on my desk.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

The Lord Bude posted:

My current steelseries mousepad cost like $40. I don't think those new logitech pads are stitched, but I'll look into the razer ones.

Edit: just saw what the razer goliathus looks like. No way is that going on my desk.

A quick Google reveals this one from Thermaltake, it looks to be the same kind of build quality without Razer's Garishly Green branding all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

You're Aussie, right? PCCG recently got a whole bunch of artisan pads in and they are worth a look.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 18, 2014