Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Maybe I'll just start hanging around the court house, jumping into cases where someone is about to be defaulted, then send them a bill under quantum meruit. If they don't pay I'll just withdraw!

A super hero for the Defaulted.

Super Appearance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've had judges allow husbands to appear on behalf of their spouse despite not being an attorney. Then they argue a bunch on nonsense and the judge just makes up a motion to construe that as and grant it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Today was a pretty lovely day in Court.

Father is my client, mother flees with child. We serve via substitute service. I made a typo on the supporting affidavit. An attorney who announces that she is not yet retained in the case appears and alleges error in the supporting affidavit.

My argument is that she isn't here in any capacity and shouldn't be allowed to make any objections. I lost that point. Then my argument was that even admitting the technical defect on the affidavit, there was enough for the court to find service occurred. I lost on that point.

I then asked the Judge if I needed to submit another motion for substitute service and he said no, that the "not yet attorney" constituted an appearance in the case. I asked the Court, if after finding appearance, the Court would allow the hearing to proceed. I lost on that point. Hearing reset for a week.

Long story short my client is convinced that the affidavit typo was the cause of all of this and that I'm a bad lawyer.

Moral: don't make typos in affidavits.
Haha. Jesus, man, sorry.

0Ls, read this post. Then kill yourselves

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not sure if anyone here knows anything about it, but is taking the US Tax Court Practitioner (USTCP) exam worth it?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Roger_Mudd posted:

An attorney who announces that she is not yet retained in the case appears and alleges error in the supporting affidavit.

What? Is she part of some non-profit that does this type of stuff or is she hoping to maybe get hired later?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Today was a pretty lovely day in Court.

Father is my client, mother flees with child. We serve via substitute service. I made a typo on the supporting affidavit. An attorney who announces that she is not yet retained in the case appears and alleges error in the supporting affidavit.

My argument is that she isn't here in any capacity and shouldn't be allowed to make any objections. I lost that point. Then my argument was that even admitting the technical defect on the affidavit, there was enough for the court to find service occurred. I lost on that point.

I then asked the Judge if I needed to submit another motion for substitute service and he said no, that the "not yet attorney" constituted an appearance in the case. I asked the Court, if after finding appearance, the Court would allow the hearing to proceed. I lost on that point. Hearing reset for a week.

Long story short my client is convinced that the affidavit typo was the cause of all of this and that I'm a bad lawyer.

Moral: don't make typos in affidavits.

Yeah what kind of technical error was this that the court found it was so prejudicial that there wasn't enough for the court to find service occurred? Sucks man.

Judges I've dealt with would probably rule the same way re: the non-retained attorney but that attorney would definitely be on the hook for any and all future appearances, the reasoning generally being "well I guess there's an attorney I can deal with now instead of some pro se doofus." We have people who get attorneys in family court the day before/of trial sometimes and the presumption is that everyone should be/needs to be represented.

Glambags fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 15, 2014

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not sure if anyone here knows anything about it, but is taking the US Tax Court Practitioner (USTCP) exam worth it?

Probably not, but why are you thinking it might be? If you're a CPA or an EA you can already represent your client in front of exam, appeals, and even chief counsel after the client's filed a petition. I don't have statistics on this, but the percentage of audits that end up requiring actual litigation in Tax Court has to be minuscule. And if a case requires real litigation, a taxpayer would likely be better served having someone who is in Tax Court a lot than someone who is almost never there but theoretically could - it's got some procedural quirks that are tricky for attorneys who are used to litigation in other courts, let alone someone who's rarely in court at all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MaximumBob posted:

And if a case requires real litigation, a taxpayer would likely be better served having someone who is in Tax Court a lot than someone who is almost never there but theoretically could - it's got some procedural quirks that are tricky for attorneys who are used to litigation in other courts, let alone someone who's rarely in court at all.

From what I read about the success rates in the Tax Court (something around 15-20% for the taxpayer), maybe it doesn't matter who's the legal rep? ^:v:^

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Fun fact: IRS personal income tax debt is 100% dischargeable in bankruptcy after various time thresholds have passed.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

ThirdPartyView posted:

From what I read about the success rates in the Tax Court (something around 15-20% for the taxpayer), maybe it doesn't matter who's the legal rep? ^:v:^
There's literally a study showing that there's no IRS bias in the Tax Court: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=179196

The reason the IRS wins most of the cases that go to trial is because a huge proportion of those cases are brought by pro se taxpayers who have no clue if their position has merit. A competent practitioner knows when a case can't be won and concedes before trial.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

10-8 posted:

There's literally a study showing that there's no IRS bias in the Tax Court: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=179196

The reason the IRS wins most of the cases that go to trial is because a huge proportion of those cases are brought by pro se taxpayers who have no clue if their position has merit. A competent practitioner knows when a case can't be won and concedes before trial.

Eh, I've read cases where the Tax Court judge basically pulled a justification to back the IRS from their rear end, so I wouldn't say there's no bias at all, but it's heavily overrated due to sovereign citizen/tax protestor/other pro se cases.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 16, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Guy I went to pre-school and elementary school with just got indicted in the Dewey thing.
NYtimes article indicates that he didn't lawyer up when he spoke with the feds and DA. This is despite being a law school grad with a federal clerkship, a mother law prof, and a father who was a judge. You almost wonder if the last two made him trust the system too much.
This is why everyone needs a lawyer.

This is the second person in my elementary class (plus or minus a year) to get white collar charges (other guy almost got away with it, but got busted crossing the border with money stuffed in his cowboy boots). Interesting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

Guy I went to pre-school and elementary school with just got indicted in the Dewey thing.
NYtimes article indicates that he didn't lawyer up when he spoke with the feds and DA. This is despite being a law school grad with a federal clerkship, a mother law prof, and a father who was a judge. You almost wonder if the last two made him trust the system too much.

I saw that article. I was very surprised he didn't lawyer up when it went from meeting with SEC (civil) representatives to meeting with the DA.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

This is the second person in my elementary class (plus or minus a year) to get white collar charges (other guy almost got away with it, but got busted crossing the border with money stuffed in his cowboy boots). Interesting.

Is he the guy who got indicted as a co-defendant on, like, the one singular count 318 or whichever count was the very last "conspiracy to commit consanguinity of purpose to conspire to help defraud someone"?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 17, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Is he the guy who got indicted as a co-defendant on, like, the one singular count 318 or whichever count was the very last "conspiracy to commit consanguinity of purpose to conspire to help defraud someone"?

I would assume so (I haven't read the complaint). He was a 24 year old who tried to get money out of clients. I'm still confused as to how someone like that could get caught up in this, well, except for the whole talking to prosecutors without a lawyer thing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Eh, I've read cases where the Tax Court judge basically pulled a justification to back the IRS from their rear end, so I wouldn't say there's no bias at all, but it's heavily overrated due to sovereign citizen/tax protestor/other pro se cases.

Keep in mind that you don't have to go to Tax Court, any District Court or the Court of Federal Claims can hear tax cases if the taxpayer pays beforehand. If attorneys really thought that the Tax Court was biased they would just recommend their clients go that route.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Keep in mind that you don't have to go to Tax Court, any District Court or the Court of Federal Claims can hear tax cases if the taxpayer pays beforehand. If attorneys really thought that the Tax Court was biased they would just recommend their clients go that route.

I know this, and this is pretty much what happens, anyway (cherry picking the most favorable court in terms of stare decisis), although it doesn't help if you're poor enough that you can't actually pay and claim a refund in District Court or the Court of Federal Claims where your argument is more likely to be listened to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BigHead posted:

Pretty much. Zach Warren is indicted on Counts 1 and 106, scheme to defraud and conspiracy to scheme to defraud:

quote:

COUNT ONE:
THE GRAND JURY OF THE COUNTY OF NEW YORK, by this indictment, accuses defendants STEVEN DAVIS, STEPHEN DICARMINE, JOEL SANDERS, and ZACHARY WARREN of the crime of SCHEME TO DEFRAUD IN THE FIRST DEGREE, in violation of Penal Law §190.65(1)(b), committed as follows:
The defendants, STEVEN DAVIS, STEPHEN DICARMINE, JOEL SANDERS, and ZACHARY WARREN, in the County of New York and elsewhere, from on or about November 3, 2008, to on or about March 7, 2012, both dates being approximate and inclusive, engaged in a
scheme constituting a systematic ongoing course of conduct with intent to defraud more than one person and to obtain property from more than one person by false and fraudulent pretenses, representations and promises, and so obtained property with a value in excess of one thousand dollars from one and more such persons.
COUNT ONE HUNDRED AND SIX:
AND THE GRAND JURY AFORESAID, by this indictment, further accuses the defendants STEVEN DAVIS, STEPHEN DICARMINE, JOEL SANDERS, and ZACHARY WARREN of the crime of CONSPIRACY IN THE FIFTH DEGREE, in violation of Penal Law §105.05(1), committed as follows:
The defendants, STEVEN DAVIS, STEPHEN DICARMINE, JOEL SANDERS, and ZACHARY WARREN, in the County of New York and elsewhere, during the period from on or about November 3, 2008, to on or about March 7, 2012, with intent that conduct constituting the crime of SCHEME TO DEFRAUD IN THE FIRST DEGREE be performed, such crime being a felony, agreed with one and more persons to engage in and cause the performance of
such conduct.
And this is the only thing I see that actually accuses him of doing anything, on only one occasion:

quote:

7. On or about December 31, 2008, in New York County, Employee C documented the fraudulent adjustments he and defendant SANDERS decided to employ in the presence of defendant WARREN on or about December 30, 2008 in a document Employee C named the “Master Plan.”
8. On or about December 31, 2008, in New York County, after creating the “Master Plan,” Employee C wrote an email, at or about 7:24 PM, to defendant WARREN, which stated in substance, “Great job dude. We kicked rear end! Time to get paid.”
19. On or about February 24, 2009, in New York County, Employee F forwarded a voicemail requesting information about an inappropriate adjustment, by email, to defendant WARREN, asking, in substance, “What should we say????”
20. On or about February 24, 2009, in New York County, Defendant WARREN responded, in substance, “That we are examining all of the disbursement write offs we did in 2008 to determine how to recover some of those costs and minimize our write offs in 2009. We’re in the process of hiring someone to lead this effort, so please ignore the non-billable disbursement for now. It’s [Partner B] and [Partner C], I think they will be satisfied if you just ask them not to worry about it.”
Indictment here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/20140306deweyindictment.pdf

...worth noting the SEC didn't bother to file against Warren on the civil side.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The one indictment I looked at is kind of hilarious reading. Note: If you are committing a fraud, it's probably a good idea to keep terms like "fake income," "cooking the books," and "accounting tricks" out of your e-mails.

stewdiny
Mar 16, 2004
Looks like Law Schools have now resorted to to paying their graduates salaries to improve their rankings in the U.S. News & World Report.

Law schools are so consumed with performing well in these rankings that they are going to outrageous lengths to make it look like their students are performing better financially after graduation than they actually are. One of the most ridiculous ways they achieve this is by paying the salaries of their graduates upon graduation. This way, students can take on employment at non-profits and government agencies, positions they would never otherwise consider in light of their mountains of student debt. In return, their alma maters can pretend their graduates got real jobs.

This isn’t just a minor trend of one-offs being exaggerated by the media either. For example, George Washington University paid the starting salaries of 22% of its graduates in 2012, while the University of Virginia paid for 15%.

quote:

EACH YEAR when U.S. News, an American publisher, releases its league table of law schools, potential students seize on it and the universities decry it for oversimplifying a personal and unquantifiable decision. But the schools can ill afford to ignore it, since not just applicants but donors and even credit-rating agencies pay close attention to the scores.

Among the ranking’s most important components is the share of graduates who find jobs. The 2014 table, announced on March 11th, shows that the University of Virginia (UVA) and George Washington University (GW) do especially well on this. Although UVA’s law students are only in ninth place for their scores in standard admission tests, 97.5% of the class of 2012 had a job on graduating—the best mark in the country. At GW the discrepancy was even more striking: its 85% graduate-employment rate ranked ninth, whereas its admission-test scores were 21st.

However, the two schools’ performance is not as stellar as it seems. A close look at the online employment database of the American Bar Association reveals that GW and UVA are among the leaders in a striking trend: law schools paying the salaries of their alumni when they go to work in legal firms, non-profits or the government. GW paid the starting salaries of a whopping 22% of its 2012 graduates; at 15%, UVA was not far behind.

With demand for newly minted lawyers down by around 30%, the schemes spare the alumni from having an awkward gap on their CV, and give them valuable work experience and contacts.

But so long as graduates put on these schemes are lumped in with those who found genuine paid work at law firms, the schools will in effect be buying themselves precious U.S. News ranking spots for a few million dollars a year. And applicants to law school who are considering taking on a six-figure debt will get a misleading picture of the job market.

source:http://www.economist.com/news/business/21599037-some-american-law-schools-are-paying-many-their-graduates-salaries-price-success

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gvibes posted:

The one indictment I looked at is kind of hilarious reading. Note: If you are committing a fraud, it's probably a good idea to keep terms like "fake income," "cooking the books," and "accounting tricks" out of your e-mails.

Another example of law school failing to prepare students for the practice of law.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

stewdiny posted:

Looks like Law Schools have now resorted to to paying their graduates salaries to improve their rankings in the U.S. News & World Report.

Law schools are so consumed with performing well in these rankings that they are going to outrageous lengths to make it look like their students are performing better financially after graduation than they actually are. One of the most ridiculous ways they achieve this is by paying the salaries of their graduates upon graduation. This way, students can take on employment at non-profits and government agencies, positions they would never otherwise consider in light of their mountains of student debt. In return, their alma maters can pretend their graduates got real jobs.

This isn’t just a minor trend of one-offs being exaggerated by the media either. For example, George Washington University paid the starting salaries of 22% of its graduates in 2012, while the University of Virginia paid for 15%.

source:http://www.economist.com/news/business/21599037-some-american-law-schools-are-paying-many-their-graduates-salaries-price-success
I mean, this isn't the worst thing to come out of the U.S. News & World Report rankings. Graduates are able to (1) get legal experience plus (2) get paid. Admittedly the legal experience can be limited, and the pay is generally really not good, but it's better than the current alternative of not getting the job (because the school isn't able to open up the opportunity), or getting the job but not being paid at all.

The only thing that strikes me as needing to change is to not weigh a school-paid temporary job/fellowship the same as a not-school-paid job in the rankings system.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

stewdiny posted:

This isn't a new thing, we've been talking about this for years. Year-long school-sponsored public interest fellowships own, by the way, it's good for there to be lots of them. Three-to-six-month long law library jobs are a lot sleazier though, but again, not a new trend.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MoFauxHawk posted:

This isn't a new thing, we've been talking about this for years. Year-long school-sponsored public interest fellowships own, by the way, it's good for there to be lots of them. Three-to-six-month long law library jobs are a lot sleazier though, but again, not a new trend.

Yeah, one of the problems is this line : "Moreover, their success in getting graduates into genuine jobs is spotty: the NALP survey found that only 24% of participants from the class of 2012 had been hired by their employers or in related fields by the following February. "

So you get a stipend for a year, then 3/4s of you are out on your rear end and unemployed.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I searched for legal jobs at some universities and one at the GW Office of General Counsel popped up and excited me. One requirement in the job description was that the applicant be someone graduating from GW Law in May 2014. The position was for one year. Wah wah.

Kind of funny to think that they are staffing their OGC with their law students who couldn't get jobs elsewhere.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Did anyone end up going to that Harvard symposium on D&D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t04LM3vCDSg

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Those law schools are stupid.

For just $300 they could register those graduates as solo practice firms and claim they're self-employed.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
From what I understand about law firm hiring practices, once your law school funded position runs out then you're pretty much screwed, since biglaw firms won't hire anyone who isn't either a new graduate or a lateral with at least 5 years of experience. At best you'll be treated the same as a new grad, at worst employers will reject you out of hand since they would rather hire one of hundreds of graduates beating down their doors rather than take someone who was rejected by real employers the first time around.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

sullat posted:

Another example of law school failing to prepare students for the practice of law.

Especially since there's no better expert at cooking the books than the law school administrators in charge of reporting the new grad job percentages.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

From what I understand about law firm hiring practices, once your law school funded position runs out then you're pretty much screwed, since biglaw firms won't hire anyone who isn't either a new graduate or a lateral with at least 5 years of experience. At best you'll be treated the same as a new grad, at worst employers will reject you out of hand since they would rather hire one of hundreds of graduates beating down their doors rather than take someone who was rejected by real employers the first time around.

It's not like the people resorting to these positions had a shot at biglaw in the first place, generally speaking. The idea is generally to land positions in public interest (very few) or with the government (pretty decent shot if you consider state and local gov't).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm beseeching the wizened, shriveled elders of this thread for advice once again.

I have an interview for a district court "externship" coming up. What's the best way to go about this sort of interview? Should I expect anything in particular? Is it true that they mostly interview people who they "already want" and I should be able to get the position unless I screw up? Is such an externship (35 hrs/week during the semester!) as valuable as everyone seems to believe?

Thanks again, everyone.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I have an interview for a district court "externship" coming up. What's the best way to go about this sort of interview? Should I expect anything in particular? Is it true that they mostly interview people who they "already want" and I should be able to get the position unless I screw up? Is such an externship (35 hrs/week during the semester!) as valuable as everyone seems to believe?

I can only speak to my own experiences with state courts, but typically we would interview between 3 and 5 applicants for a given externship. We usually wouldn't have a particular favorite in mind, so an applicant's performance at the interview certainly made a difference.

The externship may be valuable for future clerkship prospects, depending on who you intend to apply to. Some judges give a strong preference to hiring their former externs as clerks. Other judges won't hire former externs as clerks at all, in order to avoid the appearance of favoritism. In either case, a judge likes to see that an applicant has a general idea of how things work inside a chambers. I don't know how much responsibility this extern position would get, but having some familiarity with how judges make decisions, and some exposure to a broad variety of pleadings and briefs and things, would probably be a useful asset in the job hunt.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

ThirdPartyView posted:

Do you have any examples?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm trying to hire a nanny so I can work from home while actually getting work done once my wife goes back to work from maternity leave.

Whole lot of lawyers to choose from.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe you can bargain the prices down if you allow them to put down the nannying as legal experience on their resume.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I bet lawyer nannies are the absolute worst about the nanny contract. "Shut up, this isn't a law interview, if you say UCC again I'm hiring our drug addicted neighbor"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I have a friend who works for a state regulatory agency. Today their office was visited by two open-carrying sovereign citizens responding to a regulatory complaint.They insisted they had the right to carry weapons in a government office on account of their sovereign citizenship and further insisted the receptionist was violating their right of movement by not allowing them further into the building for their appointment while armed. The downside is that my friend was locked down in her office for an hour. The upside is that no one in the office complex was hurt and she found out the lockdown was over when she heard capitol police tackle one of them to the floor outside her office.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Good grief, they're lucky they weren't shot and killed.

I saw a sovereign citizen today arguing with an eviction judge, it was amazing. It was up on his motion to reconsider, and he kept asserting that his name was technically different than the one on the complaint and that she didn't have jurisdiction over him. The judge kept agreeing and asking why he was here since he wasn't a party by his own admission, and denied the motion.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I don't see nearly enough sovereign citizens in court :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

mastershakeman posted:

The judge kept agreeing and asking why he was here since he wasn't a party by his own admission, and denied the motion.

This is great