Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Spazzle posted:

If the past week in D&D has taught us anything, it's that a hyperlocal Europe would consist of microstates based around historically protected food production cartels.

I think you'll find this is how counties are arranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
E: If the EU spent as much effort on diplomacy and/or military as they do on agricultural poo poo, this wouldn't have happened

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I considered making map of this, but then I looked up how many there are. No way was I going to figure out the PDO regions of roughly a thousand products. Holy poo poo there are a lot of protected products in Southern Europe.

I took that as a challenge and wanted to whip up an automated way to map this, but the actual geographical information is hidden in deep in PDF files of each application, so nope. If anyone's curious though, the database can be viewed here:

http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qua...atus=REGISTERED

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Coastal republics have a free CB to take any coastal city, what will be the first victim of a new Venice? Athens?

Their old rival Ragusa, these days usually called Dubrovnik:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kopijeger posted:

Also called King's Landing

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

It'd probably be better to seize that tiny strip of coast Bosnia has or Montenegro, otherwise all of NATO will declare war on them and they'd have to pay at least 50 ducats to each of them as a peace agreement.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

It'd probably be better to seize that tiny strip of coast Bosnia has or Montenegro, otherwise all of NATO will declare war on them and they'd have to pay at least 50 ducats to each of them as a peace agreement.

Why not have Pope Francis start a Crusade, provide boats and make the Crusaders sack my hometown as payment for transport?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Zara

Here's a map from a later period and a contemporary photo:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, I think we can all agree that the Fourth Crusade was the worst. Although mad props to the Doge of Venice who managed to redirect it to Constantinople as revenge for the Byzantines allegedly blinding him. So your example is a pretty good one.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Armacham posted:

Also called King's Landing

Wait really? :aaaaa:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Spazzle posted:

If the past week in D&D has taught us anything, it's that a hyperlocal Europe would consist of microstates based around historically protected food production cartels.

I have absolutely no problem with this, let's do it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This is where someone posts one of those eurominority maps, isn't it? Actually bought a few of them; they're really interesting and strangely topical in Scotland right now...

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Spazzle posted:

This is what was missing from every cyberpunk setting world map I've ever seen.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait really? :aaaaa:

Yeah, my mum went to Dubrovnik on holiday and seeing her photos was pretty surreal. That's the garden where Tyrion and Sansa were hanging out! That's blackwater bay!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

twoday posted:

So apparently an independence referendum lasting all week began today in Veneto and polls suggest that 2/3rds will support independence from Italy and the re-establishment of The Most Serene Republic.

What the poo poo? I actually live here, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Always good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mikl posted:

What the poo poo? I actually live here, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Separatism has been pretty big in Northern Italy lately.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Separatism has been pretty big in Northern Italy lately.

If by "lately" you mean "since about the '90s" I agree with you, but this is the first I've heard of a referendum. Of course it's not a real referendum at all, or I would have heard of it.

After checking, it's not even a referendum at all. They're simply gathering signatures.

The way it works in Italy: we get referendums for changes to the constitution, and by "popular demand", i.e. if an issue gets 100.000 verified signatures in favour and is not against the constitution (this last thing is probably going to be the sticking point) then it gets voted nationwide as a referendum.

And of course it's being done by Lega Nord, i.e. far-right racist separatists. Last time they tried this they got laughed at, I don't see how things will go differently this time.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Killer robot posted:

From my (very) limited experience with sci-fi and cyberpunk, Europe is often (mysteriously?) absent. Outside of, like, Gibson, It's all megatokyos and corporate american fiefdoms.

No Italian cheese monarchies or fascist French vintner-states. :(

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

This is where someone posts one of those eurominority maps, isn't it? Actually bought a few of them; they're really interesting and strangely topical in Scotland right now...

Sure, if for no other reason than to point out the truncated Brittany on that map. You all knew this would happen

This map has bonus flags if that's your thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Killer robot posted:

If Terry Pratchett wrote cyberpunk it'd probably be something like that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

No Italian cheese monarchies or fascist French vintner-states. :(

We must create a future for the White Wine. We can not allow the purity and beauty of our terroir to pass from this earth.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Sure, if for no other reason than to point out the truncated Brittany on that map. You all knew this would happen

This map has bonus flags if that's your thing.

Topically, their Ukrainian borders are... uh, interesting. Why is the Crimean border south of the isthmus of Perekop?

Somehow, Italy remains mostly united. Huh well.

What is the funny little red pocket in Thessaly?

Hehe Lotharingia.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Lawman 0 posted:

Sounds like it would be a mini-japan.

But I'm assuming Venice industry relies on raw materials and infrastructure from the rest of Italy, which goes out the window once independent. I just don't see how Venice can sustain a well rounded economy and not become Monaco

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Emanuel Collective posted:

But I'm assuming Venice industry relies on raw materials and infrastructure from the rest of Italy, which goes out the window once independent. I just don't see how Venice can sustain a well rounded economy and not become Monaco

You do realize it wouldn't just be the city but the entire province?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Farecoal posted:

You do realize it wouldn't just be the city but the entire province?

The economy of Veneto amounts to mostly agriculture, tourism and medium-small industry. Some chemicals too since Marghera, near Venice, was the chemical production area for post-war Italy, but most of the production's shifted elsewhere since then. Almost no heavy industry, and almost no raw materials (some lumber in the north, near Trentino and Austria, but that's it. There's no way the region would be able to survive economically without some serious import-export going on (or without reverting to a rural farming society, which while it would be :krad: it is probably not what the independists have in mind for the glorious future of the new nation).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mikl posted:

There's no way the region would be able to survive economically without some serious import-export going on...

I don't really see that as much of a problem these days though. That's how most of the world works now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

twoday posted:

I have absolutely no problem with this, let's do it.

Curse Mercator and his Samicentrism.

Emanuel Collective posted:

The region of Venice has almost five million inhabitants, it would be small but not tiny by European standards.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reliance on imports - exports isn't a problem at all in the European single market where you can't affect movement of goods across borders and where everything has to be harmonized anyway.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Glass is going to come back in a big way! From there, all Venice has to do is trade Antioch and Constantinople for religious artifacts and the economy will become self-sustaining in no time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Curse Mercator and his Samicentrism.
That map might actually be equal area. Sweden and Norway are the fifth and sixth largest countries in Europe, after Russia, Ukraine, France, and Spain, and Finland comes in at number eight after Germany.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Assuming maybe Friuli comes along for the ride or heck, even if it doesn't, Veneto would have a bigger population and almost as big an area as the sovereign country of Slovenia next door, which afaik is not a giant Monaco.

Speaking of size, this is a fun little website: http://mapfight.appspot.com/ or http://overlapmaps.com/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember looking at a map some time ago and being surprised that the Baltic countries were larger than I had assumed. They're just not very densely populated. Flanders by itself has about the same number of inhabitants as all three of them combined.

The interior of the Iberian peninsula is a total wasteland as well, with the exception of Madrid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

The interior of the Iberian peninsula is a total wasteland as well, with the exception of Madrid.

It resembles the American Southwest so well some spaghetti westerns were filmed there.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

I remember looking at a map some time ago and being surprised that the Baltic countries were larger than I had assumed. They're just not very densely populated. Flanders by itself has about the same number of inhabitants as all three of them combined.

Darkest Bosnia has data but some areas in the middle of England don't?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

France loves centralization.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Farecoal posted:

I was just about to say, its not even as if they are rural areas either Cheshire is one of the richest areas of the country outside of London.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Farecoal posted:

There isn't any data for Bosnia?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

PittTheElder posted:

There isn't any data for Bosnia?

Oh whoops, I was color blind (although to be fair those English areas and Bosnia are very different shades of gray), replace Bosnia with Darkest Macedonia then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Killer robot posted:

I'd like to see some of those other maps, if you have links.

This thing is great, so many gems. Austrailia labeled as Singapore got a laugh, and the size of the Falklands.

Phlegmish posted:

Wow, my guesses would have been way off. I had the idea of France being quite homogeneous for its density.

The Rhine, wow! :aaa:

Also, that is a terrible scale. It goes:
135-170
170-500
>500

The gently caress? Is Sicily surprisingly dense, or just a bit bigger than the surrounding areas? Still a cool map though.

Content:

Speaking of countries breaking away, remember how disputed Kosovo was when it left Serbia? Russia was very much opposed. More countries support it now: