Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Did a service on my 406 today - replaced the air, fuel and oil filters and replaced the oil. Didn't make any difference to how it runs (which to be fair is fine anyway) but I feel better about it now that the essentials are done. Next up is the gearbox sender for the speedo, and more importantly, the light bulb for the dashboard clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Did a service on my 406 today - replaced the air, fuel and oil filters and replaced the oil.

Was set to give my 306 the same treatment whilst the weather was good this afternoon (and check out wtf is going on with the thermostat) but the catch pans I ordered haven't shown. :sigh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Changed the left dipped beam bulb yesterday.

Changed the right dipped beam bulb today.

:argh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 15, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

F-150 was off to the shop yesterday. Stepdad had a few shops look at it, all agreed it was a cracked intake manifold. All were correct. Shop also fixed the sloppy as poo poo shifter linkage.

Avalon went to the same shop today. It's been throwing codes for both knock sensors for awhile, and also been vibrating like it had bad motor mounts.

Shop found several wires chewed through, including one that.. goes to a motor mount? Maybe a vacuum line instead? (stepdad took it, mechanic's english isn't very good, stepdad gets annoyed with accents, so who the hell knows) Either way, 6 wires repaired. They also found a (living) newborn squirrel :ohdear: in the air filter housing, along with tons of nuts nearby. It no longer feels like it has a bad motor mount either. I assume it's a hydraulic mount of some sort..

Next up is figuring out how to keep the drat things out of the cars in the future. None of our cars sit more than 48 hours without use, it's not like we park them for weeks at a time (or live in the sticks). I suspect mama squirrel will be back looking for her kid. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Go to a junkyard and find a similar air filter housing and give them a permanent real home :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That wouldn't hold the ones I see on the back porch every morning, much less every squirrel I see in the front yard. :arghfist:

Real talk, we have shitloads of them here. They've gotten in the attic a few times, and chewed through some wiring up there (so far they've limited themselves to coax and alarm stuff, always in the most pain in the rear end spot to get to). I need to find a (reasonably humane) way to scare them off.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Changes the left dipped beam bulb yesterday.

Changed the right dipped beam bulb today.

:argh:

On your 406? I understand your rage. You'll never get those 3 minutes of your life back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

On your 406? I understand your rage. You'll never get those 3 minutes of your life back.

Yeah, I had to actually bend my wrist slightly to get at them. It was torture!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Finished my 4" lift on my TJ. Was a pain the entire way, but the results are kinda worth it; old suspension was knackered and made enough noise that people turned to look when I drove by.

I wasn't impressed with the lack of and/or vague instructions for certain steps, and the bizarre choices for bolt sizes on certain items made installing the lift quite a chore. I also have some concerns with the proximity of the exhaust to the rear passenger shock; I'm probably going to wrap that section with insulation.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I had to actually bend my wrist slightly to get at them. It was torture!

I feel with you. It happens almost every half-decade. The design is insane. Why doesn't a 406 have some kind of slide or ramp you can feed bulbs from inside the car? Design failure!

I really hate my TS6. I lived through the same nightmare just a year ago.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
I was going to catch up with some ignored deferred maintenance on the front end of my octavia (dampers,springs,damper topmounts and ARB droplinks/trackrods and trackrod ends).

Turns out that none of the motorfactors around me believe that octavia 4x4 estate exists, and if it does it certainly doesn't need S3/VR6/Cupra R bits.

And on top of that i left my wheelnut key attached when i took the car for a test run, so thats vanished into the oggin as well!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Anghammarad posted:

Turns out that none of the motorfactors around me believe that octavia 4x4 estate exists, and if it does it certainly doesn't need S3/VR6/Cupra R bits.

Where do you live?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
After years without owning a sports car I finally could take it no more, and yesterday I purchased a used Z06. So what I did to my ride today was remove the bimode exhaust fuse to make it loud and then hit every roundabout and freeway onramp in town for about 2 hours straight. Now I'm trying to do household chores and it's just sitting there in the driveway, begging for more. That G meter is taunting me right now.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Just outside eastleigh. didn't want to pay the price that TPS wanted for the bits, but it looks like i might have to. oh well, next month it is.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

After years without owning a sports car I finally could take it no more, and yesterday I purchased a used Z06. So what I did to my ride today was remove the bimode exhaust fuse to make it loud and then hit every roundabout and freeway onramp in town for about 2 hours straight. Now I'm trying to do household chores and it's just sitting there in the driveway, begging for more. That G meter is taunting me right now.
:getin:

So as not to get probation, even though it would've been worth it, I really miss taking onramps and such with the windows down. Still sounds good with the windows up, but its another story with them down. I had a taste yesterday since it was above 50 degrees but its back to 25 today, drat it.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
gently caress rebuilding drum brakes.

So I pulled the drums off my Mustang today to work on them and discovered two things. One, that the rear passenger side brake was stuck engaged and two, that the previous owners solution to that problem was to pack the drum with axle grease. Noticed a trickle of fluid leaking down the inside of the wheel the other day and assumed the wheel cylinder had finally given up the ghost, but nope, just grease.

:suicide:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Propaganda Bob posted:

So I pulled the drums off my Mustang today to work on them and discovered two things. One, that the rear passenger side brake was stuck engaged and two, that the previous owners solution to that problem was to pack the drum with axle grease. Noticed a trickle of fluid leaking down the inside of the wheel the other day and assumed the wheel cylinder had finally given up the ghost, but nope, just grease.

Scrub the grease out with your hands, then apply two or more cans of Brakleen.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Changed the big Peugeot's oil and tried to find the source of a mystery clunk noise. The suspension all looks tight, no play in the rod ends, drop links etc. Engine mounts all look good, and my turbo-powered chassis rust prevention is working well. Plus I made so little mess on the ground you couldn't tell I'd had to do it out on the pavement.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Propaganda Bob posted:

:psyboom:
Finally got around to doing the wheel seals on the rusty Korean shitbucket and found some similar PO fuckery. The LH bearing retainer nut (which is both LH thread and Dana-style lug-type) had been mashed all to hell, all the locking tangs were busted off (found one just chillin' in the bearing grease, that probably had something to do with the outer seal's failure) oh and the brakes were put together with entirely the wrong springs. No wonder the car was so cheap.

Oh, and I pulled the stock plastic fender flare trim things off and found out they were pretty much structural members (lol GroverKia) at this point. Good thing I have to do some cutting/welding around that area anyway, so far all the rust repair it needs is in places I was already going to modify (and all the structurally critical areas are completely rust-free thanks to stealership undercoating) so poo poo is still good.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 15, 2014

doogle
May 24, 2003

Repaired the headlight (broken mounting bracket, BMW makes a repair kit for $35 vs buying a new headlight for ~$500), oil change, PCV valve upgrade, new PCV hose, dropped off my second set of wheels and tires to get mounted, and made an appointment for an alignment to get more negative camber on the front to fit the wider tires.

The PCV valve upgrade will hopefully stop the car from burning so much oil, the valve I had was leaking allowing pressure from the turbos into the crankcase. The stock one is made of plastic, the upgraded one is made of metal so it will probably hold the pressure better. I have an oil catch can as well, but even with it the inside of my intercooler piping is coated in oil. I'll be walnut blasting the intake valves as soon as the tools required come off of backorder from BMW.

Repaired headlight

Undamaged headlight

Stock PCV

Old PCV hose

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Nothing, nothing at all.

I found a guy on craigslist who is not only a mobile mechanic, but is ASE certified, insured, and has a business license. He's also mobile.
35$/hr book time.

He's replacing the torque converter control solenoid on the transmission right now while I program. Life is loving good right now not being covered in transmission fluid. :smug:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Cage posted:

:getin:

So as not to get probation, even though it would've been worth it, I really miss taking onramps and such with the windows down. Still sounds good with the windows up, but its another story with them down. I had a taste yesterday since it was above 50 degrees but its back to 25 today, drat it.

I just went out and did it again. Look how hard it beckons.

I forgot to set up onstar, I guess I'll have to take it out again today. :fap:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Nothing, nothing at all.

I found a guy on craigslist who is not only a mobile mechanic, but is ASE certified, insured, and has a business license. He's also mobile.
35$/hr book time.

He's replacing the torque converter control solenoid on the transmission right now while I program. Life is loving good right now not being covered in transmission fluid. :smug:
Mentioning ASE certified reminded me of this thread I clicked on the other day :laugh: (I'm sure your guy is fine if he's running is own business though)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615661

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

japtor posted:

Mentioning ASE certified reminded me of this thread I clicked on the other day :laugh: (I'm sure your guy is fine if he's running is own business though)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615661

Yeah, he has been my mechanic for a few months now and has always done excellent work without any hint of not being completely professional and incredibly knowledgable.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Bought and transported my new motor to the shop for testing then storage (assuming it passes leakdown testing) I'll have it installed in a few weeks... Have to accumulate a lot more parts and save a lot of cash.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Replaced the driver's side brake caliper and pads in a friend's Colorado today. I'd replaced the rotor, caliper and pads on the passenger side a few weeks ago, and during the test drive/bedding-in run he mentioned he'd noticed some grinding noises from that side while braking. Sure enough, there was a really low-pitched grinding from the passenger side if I stopped really hard, so I pulled the truck back into the garage, jacked it up, and took the wheel off.

The problem was immediately obvious-one of the caliper slide bolts had backed out and gone AWOL, so the caliper was only attached on one side and had been grinding against the disc. :stonk:

Fortunately it didn't look like it had been happening for very long and it was fine after I put it back together, but I've never had a brake job go wrong like that before. Here's hoping it's the last...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The Miata now has a new: timing belt, associated timing stuff, water pump, and assorted radiator hoses. I found the (hopefully last) leak in the cooling system, so my heat should be good to go now that the warm weather is starting to seep in. It's been giving me fits all winter. I found out that one of the hoses (the one going from the pipe under the exhaust manifold to the water pump) took a rock to the face and made a nice clean puncture invisible while car is stopped, and because of the heat the coolant was evaporating from it almost immediately.

Now I'm just waiting on Monday to get here so I can go to Fastenal and grab an M14x1.5 thread chaser and see if I can't clean up the threads in the crank (for reference, see here).

Let's try to keep track of the mileage on this one so it doesn't snap 40 miles from home again, shall we...

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
On Friday I got a box.

Inside was a pipe that has this.

So, out came this rattly piece of poo poo.

Scene of the crime. (don't worry, there were two jack stands and the trolley jack was just there as a safety)

And in went this shiny bit.

What I gained:
A quieter car in general.
A fruitier exhaust note at high revs.
Some bruised shoulders, thanks to concrete floors, wrenching upside down, and having the car's floor 6 inches from my face.
And ten alleged horsepowers.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I did a rear wheel bearing on my 2002 Passat. Beat book time by like 10 minutes, it was crazy easy. Hopefully the front upper control arm bushings go as smoothly!

After I get the Passat in happier condition, it's time to tackle the BMW.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took advantage of yesterday's nice weather to swap the wheels on the Civic Si back to the OEM wheels with all-season tires, instead of the TSX wheels with Michelin X-Ices.

Also cleaned the winter accumulation of trash and boxes out of the garage, put the snow blower in, and managed to squeeze the Explorer in as well. When it was crazy snowy the M3 was living in here, but the Explorer is quite a bit bigger so the random trash needed to go!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspected the suspension for pothole damage. It seems entirely contained to the wheel. The noise was the wheel Catching on the brake. Really shows how little clearance 16 inch wheels have.

German engineering: 1
lovely roads: 0

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Inspected the suspension for pothole damage. It seems entirely contained to the wheel. The noise was the wheel Catching on the brake. Really shows how little clearance 16 inch wheels have.

German engineering: 1
lovely roads: 0

Shouldn't this be backwards?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Shouldn't this be backwards?

No. The German engineered suspension survived. The road is hosed. A wheel got bent. The car survives.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Found various ways to get my moneys worth out of a transmission jack for installing things solo.

I hate donut gaskets.

Installed reinforced subframe with poly bushings, and new camber arms.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Impulse bought a set of 20" wheels, so now I need to sell at least one set of 19s. Wife is starting to notice the stacks of wheels in the garage are increasing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Finished detailing it yesterday and then had to detour through a gravel road today :qq: I thought I could at least manage a week without it being filthy again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Galler posted:

:qq: I thought I could at least manage a week without it being filthy again.

Ahaha, that's precious, a week of clean seems like the elusive loch Ness monster. I think it's destiny that none of my vehicles stay clean after they're washed/detailed (depending on season) for longer than 24 hrs. Even garaged they can't escape their fates. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So, i figured i should probably get around to finally replacing those fouled O2 sensors.

I figured i would get the truck in the garage tonight so i don't have to work on a boiling hot exhaust tomorrow.

Step 1: measure truck
Step 2: measure space
Step 3: repeat steps 1 and 2

Step 4: back truck into garage
Step 5: put down ramps
Step 6: drive truck forward onto ramps.

A whole bunch of steps didn't/couldn't happen, i went with "it'll probably fit" and yet.

I am the master of eyeballing stuff Just barely squeaking by on luck.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Hello Spaceman posted:

On Friday I got a box.

Inside was a pipe that has this.

So, out came this rattly piece of poo poo.

Scene of the crime. (don't worry, there were two jack stands and the trolley jack was just there as a safety)

And in went this shiny bit.

What I gained:
A quieter car in general.
A fruitier exhaust note at high revs.
Some bruised shoulders, thanks to concrete floors, wrenching upside down, and having the car's floor 6 inches from my face.
And ten alleged horsepowers.

Oooh another S2K owner! :glomp: How does that sound compared to stock? I'm trying not to make mine really loud to avoid the extra attention (mainly from cops but the ricers a little too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Not quite today, but this weekend I had some fun.

The girlfriend and I have been planning on putting together a little camping rig for this years camping. I think last year I spent a little less than 45 days in my tent, either off the KTM, or out of the back of my car at the drop zone while skydiving. While ground tent camping is great when your are riding your bike around the Northwest, it gets a little old when you are laying on a hard packed desert floor and all your friends are in trailers.
So after much debate, we decide a roof top tent is the ticket for us. Ideally it would be mounted to an expedition style trailer, so we can unhook the truck and leave it parked at a camp site. However, a trailer was not in the budget this year so we planned on working on that part next year. Until this weekend, while helping her get some stuff from her dads, I saw this..

I stroll over to check it out while she is inside. Obviously ex-military, strange torsion bar suspension, and just the right size. I ask her about it when she comes out, and she agrees to talk to her dad. Long story short, he has never used it and is fine with us taking it. We came back for it the next day.

Than came the fun part, tying to figure out what the hell it was. I tried for hours in vain before I had the trailer in my possession, but I could find absolutely nothing like it. When I got a hold of it though, I found this...

XM52, number 004. An experimental trailer, way cool! Now I had something to go off of. More research turn up just one useful link, as US Army R&D periodical from 1987, describing the trailer and its purpose. This is #4 of 14. Built in 1984 as a test platform for moving a 4.2" mortar. In 1986, the Army was R&Ding a high speed, desert operations platform for special forces. This included a HUMVEE modified with bucket seats, 5 point harnesses, a motorcycle, and a trailer to put the bike on. The Army decided that no current trailers in the pool could do the job, and turned to the XM52. It shared the tires, wheels, and shock absorbers with the HUMVEE, and the soft, long travel torsion bar suspension made it ideal for high speed desert driving. Two of the XM52 trailers were taken and made into utility trailers as a test bed. This is one of the two, as far as I can tell.

The trailer is all aluminium, and beefy as gently caress. The belly is one solid sheet, for easy dragging across rough terrain. No axle to get hung up on poo poo.

Anyways, we got to work stripping it down. Pulled out all the wood, including a heavily rotted piece of plywood flooring. Under the plywood we find... 100lbs of desert sand!

We got to work scooping all the soaking sand out. If this trailer had been made of steel, I am afraid it would have been destroyed. The aluminium however, looks great!

One all the sand was out, I had to make my way back home for work in the morning. The plan this coming weekend is to pressure wash the poo poo out of it/prep it for some sort of painting, get new shocks on it (the right one seems to be totally shot), clean up the wiring. The wiring will eventually be replaced, but will do for now until a complete rebuild comes. Will also measure for a new diamond plate flooring and drool over my new toy.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 22, 2014