Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm of the opinion that the Buu Saga is a lot better than people give it credit for. That isn't to say it doesn't have it's problems, DBZ is far from perfect, but still. Some of my favorite moments from the entire show are in the Buu Saga, including Buu just summing up where the series had ended up with his line about how he and Vegito should just call themselves invincible and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The entire show is imperfect but that's why I love it and also why DBZ: Abridged is the best verson.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I just rewatched part of the Vegito/Buuhan fight - specifically the part where Buu tries to kill Vegito by turning into goo, flying down his throat, and making vegito swell up until Vegito chases him out by punching the big lumps of BuuGuu moving around underneath his skin.

Dragon Ball is loving weird, you guys.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I just rewatched part of the Vegito/Buuhan fight - specifically the part where Buu tries to kill Vegito by turning into goo, flying down his throat, and making vegito swell up until Vegito chases him out by punching the big lumps of BuuGuu moving around underneath his skin.

Still nothing on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. :smug:

It's actually kind of weird how straight the fights in DBZ are compared to stuff like JJBA or Naruto where it's all extremely tactical and often weird.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

True, but those shows (as far as I'm aware) don't also feature the hero becoming a sentient, immortal jawbreaker and momentarily reducing the fight to a looney tunes sketch. For being a soul-shatteringly evil, body devouring horror, Super Buu's kind of a riot.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As goofy as the Buu saga is, a lot of what happens is incredibly dark and unsettling if you take a moment to think about it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Spiritus Nox posted:

That part, like a good deal of the fights scenes in the anime IIRC, was anime-only.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WhiffleballDude posted:

As goofy as the Buu saga is, a lot of what happens is incredibly dark and unsettling if you take a moment to think about it.

Something that bothered me as a kid was that, at least in the anime, Buu started invading the afterlife and killing the souls there.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WickedHate posted:

Something that bothered me as a kid was that, at least in the anime, Buu started invading the afterlife and killing the souls there.

That in itself would've made for a good saga.

Buu should've been about that. Goku should've stayed dead, and Buu's threat should have been "can destroy your SOUL" instead of just more power and regeneration. Then you can have the typical Shonen-power escalation, except instead of killing MORE people, his power starts to extend into the afterlife, thus justifying Goku working on that end of the problem.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Someone had to do it eventually, really. Otherwise, who even cares about this whole death thing? Let Buu blow up the universe, we'll just chill in heaven and laugh at him when he runs out of things to blow up and goes slowly insane(er) lost and alone in the void. I mean, that scene with Buu horribly killing every motherfucker on the lookout loses a bit of punch when we cut to to the afterlife and Videl and Chi-chi are just picking flowers with Dabura and talking about their men and having a grand old time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Re: Buu Saga changes

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Frieza saga is about Goku, Cell saga is about Gohan and the Buu Saga is about Vegeta.

To justify: The saga starts with the world tournament and the confrontation between Vegeta and Goku in the first round being the focus. Buu only gets free because Vegeta turns on Goku and Buu's only defeated when Vegeta is able to let go of his hatred for Goku and work with him. The issue with this is that we never see Vegeta get his reward for this. I feel it would be more satisfying for Vegeta to have a more prominent role in beating Buu.

The logical endpoint for the Buu saga is Vegeta letting go of his anger at Goku, turning SSJ3 and fighting Buu to a standstill long enough for Goku to hit the spirit bomb. I like the idea that Vegeta does have actually the same potential as Goku, but his attitude prevents him from seeing as clearly.

Added tension coming from the fact that it's Vegeta's first time in the transformation and he's desperately struggling to keep his power from killing himself whilst also fighting a god killing monstrosity.

Otherwise I don't really object to any of the Saga. I'd rather there have been fewer curbstomp fights, so Gohan vs. Buu would be better served by Buu immediately absorbing Gotenks and them fighting at basically an even level until Buu gets a surprise absorption victory or something.

This would have been a pretty legit ending to the Buu Saga not gonna lie, even with all the other problems I had.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Spiritus Nox posted:

Someone had to do it eventually, really. Otherwise, who even cares about this whole death thing? Let Buu blow up the universe, we'll just chill in heaven and laugh at him when he runs out of things to blow up and goes slowly insane(er) lost and alone in the void. I mean, that scene with Buu horribly killing every motherfucker on the lookout loses a bit of punch when we cut to to the afterlife and Videl and Chi-chi are just picking flowers with Dabura and talking about their men and having a grand old time.

It's like Tien said. Why do you care. Death really has no meaning in this. We are literally waiting to go back.

And I just remembered something. Chaotzu saying next time he gets a free sundae. I just realize technically he gets killed by Buu because of the whole earth blowing up.

Hah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

It's Tien said. Why do you care. Death really has no meaning in this. We are literally waitng to go back.

And I just remembered something. Chaotzu saying next time he gets a free sundae. I just realize technically he gets killed by Buu because of the whole earth blowing up.

Hah.

...Wait. What even happened to those two? The last I remember seeing them was Tien using Tri-Beam to deflect one of Buutenks' attacks away from Gohan. Did Buu eat them or knock them out or...?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait. What even happened to those two? The last I remember seeing them was Tien using Tri-Beam to deflect one of Buutenks' attacks away from Gohan. Did Buu eat them or knock them out or...?

Buu's legs kicked Tien and knocked him out, and we never saw him again after that, so presumably he and Chiaotzu (who wasn't anywhere nearby but didn't get killed by the Human Extinction Attack) died when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Tien's pointless cameo there just screams "Toriyama read a letter from a fan who wanted to see Tien again."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I thought it was hilarious. Tien's just wandering the world doing his own thing, maybe hearing some weird news about a crazy pink monster rampaging around, and then one day a giant beam almost kills him. His reaction? Go look for Goku because it's probably got something to do with him.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I recall when Kid Buu was charging up to blow up the Earth, Goku had a choice between getting Gohan and Tien and the rest and Hercule, or at least something along those lines, cause someone yells at him later for not saving their friends over Hercule. Good decision-making though.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

If it was Super Buu's human extinction attack then why were Tien and Chiaotzu targeted???

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

They are humans, from a time when humans with strange features/powers were a normal thing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Steve Jorbs posted:

If it was Super Buu's human extinction attack then why were Tien and Chiaotzu targeted???
It probably killed all the talking dinosaurs and animal-headed people and sentient robots, too, though Toriyama had forgotten them long ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Jorbs posted:

Presumably it also works on three-eyed cowboys.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, it probably worked on King Dog as well.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
They died anyway when the planet blew up, so it's all moot anyway

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best thing about Buu that people don't realize is that he's a genie.

The last battle in Dragon Ball (before Battle of the Gods) was basically Toriyama saying that since pure power ends with Cell, let's just have the genie from Aladdin come in and see what happens.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Still waiting for the Dragon to sing Friend Like Me, Team Four Star.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Here have some Nappa singing Do You Want to Build a SnowmanKill a Planet

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

My only disappointment is that it doesn't end with the sound of Vegeta blowing Nappa up, which is in the grand scheme of things a minor disappointment.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Darko posted:

The best thing about Buu that people don't realize is that he's a genie.

The last battle in Dragon Ball (before Battle of the Gods) was basically Toriyama saying that since pure power ends with Cell, let's just have the genie from Aladdin come in and see what happens.

Been saying this for ages, glad to see someone else got it too.

Gotenks was also Aladdin.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Now I'm interested to see how Abridged Popo will react to Buu.

Calling it now, they're related somehow.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Popo is the strange cousin

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Buu killing everyone on the lookout was the laziest writing in the entire series and actually a really low point for Toriyama's writing.

Bulma manages to survive anything and everything for decades, dramatically avoiding death, only to be killed off-camera by being turned to chocolate.

#18 was once the coolest Vegeta-humbler ever who managed to trick Satan into making her rich...also killed off-camera by being turned to chocolate.

Chi chi, Popo, Ox King, etc, etc. turned to chocolate off camera etc.

Point is that it trivializes the ENTIRE series by that point since all of their miraculous survivals equal nothing since they die off camera anyways. May as well have just forgotten them like Lunch.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't dying, it was a free ticket to otherworld.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

#18 was once the coolest Vegeta-humbler ever who managed to trick Satan into making her rich...also killed off-camera by being turned to chocolate.

I don't know if blackmail qualifies as trickery.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bowmore posted:

It wasn't dying, it was a free ticket to otherworld.

The Next Dimension

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm a real sucker for made-up cosmologies and Toriyama at least made a memorable one (before he threw it out of the window, that is), but man does Dragonball universe suck for non-fighting characters. It's basically how ordinary people must feel in Marvel or DC universe: vastly expendably, utterly pointless, devoid of any hope or ambition.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Death had long been trivialised when Buu killed everyone on the lookout so it didn't really bother me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yes, Nappa. Yes I do. :unsmith:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mister Roboto posted:

Chi chi, Popo, Ox King, etc, etc. turned to chocolate off camera etc.

Wasn't Chi Chi transformed into an egg and stomped on or was that just the anime?

Regarding Lunch, was there a reason she was just written out of the story when Dragon Ball Z started? No one got the shaft as badly as she did, even Chaozu at least shows up now and then throughout the end.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

crankdatbatman posted:

Wasn't Chi Chi transformed into an egg and stomped on or was that just the anime?

Regarding Lunch, was there a reason she was just written out of the story when Dragon Ball Z started? No one got the shaft as badly as she did, even Chaozu at least shows up now and then throughout the end.

Toriyama just forgot about her entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

Only after she slapped Buu in the god drat face! Chichi was hardcore.

• Locked thread