Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:

Air is lava! posted:

Well, it didn't air in the USA yet. But I think we should act based on the Canadian schedule.

Deadpool posted:

I'm not familiar with how it worked in the past, but if that worked then keep using it.

This post is coming to you from 2077. Like a lot of SciFi these days it’s shot in Vancouver so expect to find the usual pool of actors that show up on Vancouver Scifi.

Season 2 ended with Alec Salder, future leader of the corporate dominated dystopia of 2077 swiping the time travel device and jumping back in time to save Emily from being killed by Freelancers, a group who appear to exist outside of time acting in some sort of capacity to protect the existing timeline as we’ve seen it up to this point. Ok so they don't exist outside of time though the season 2 finale showed them with some odd abilities such as shaking off bullets.

Main cast ripped off from Wikipedia:

Rachel Nichols as City Protective Services (CPS) Protector Kiera Cameron, a law enforcement agent from 2077-era Vancouver who was sent back into the past with the members of Liber8 during their escape attempt at their execution. Cut off from her time period, she joins the Vancouver Police Department to pursue Liber8 and thwart their plans to alter the timeline using her new position in the police department and technology she brought with her.

Victor Webster as VPD Detective Carlos Fonnegra, Kiera's partner with the present-day police; he learns the truth about her time-traveler status in the second season episode "Second Truths". Throughout the course of the second season, Fonnegra becomes disillusioned with the VPD's changing police procedures and is seen shaking hands with and joining Julian (Theseus) at the conclusion of the episode "Second Time" with colleague Betty Robertson.

Erik Knudsen as the young Alec Sadler. As a teenager, before he went on to found SadTech (:smith:), Alec is reclusive and prefers to spend time in his computer lab; there, he is able to communicate with Kiera through her cybernetic implants, which he discovers to be based on his own inventions.

Stephen Lobo as Matthew Kellog, a former member of Liber8. Kellog deserts from the group in Season One and hopes to build a new and wealthy life for himself in the past using his knowledge of the future.

Roger Cross as Travis Verta, a member of Liber8 and super-soldier, Kagame's right-hand man and former lover of Sonya Valentine. Since Kagame's death, he has been opposed to Valentine, Kagame's designated successor, seeking more violent methods and recruiting criminals into his version of Liber8. Travis appeared to die after falling to his death in "Second Time".

Lexa Doig as Sonya Valentine, a member of Liber8 and former lover of Travis Verta who is designated Kagame's official successor as leader after his death, and now seeking to reform the world through ideas rather than violence, and recruiting middle and working class people into her version of Liber8.

Luvia Petersen as Jasmine Garza, a soldier and member of Liber8. Garza is physically strong, agile and lethal, but mentally damaged from corporate imprisonment. She sided with Travis during the Liber8 civil war, and claimed to become Travis's current lover. Garza also has a connection with elderly Alec: apparently she intended to serve as his "insurance policy" if his younger self seems to deviate from his plans, although as with everyone else, she doesn't know if the purpose is to change Alec's path or ensure it.

Jennifer Spence as Vancouver Police Department Detective Betty Robertson, a colleague of Det. Fonnegra, who generally handles the computer side of their cases; recent evidence has suggested that she has begun to sympathize with Liber8's motives to the point of providing them with information.

Brian Markinson as VPD Inspector Dillon, Carlos and Betty's superior officer; he respects Kiera's insights despite the mysteries of her past. The red tape and politics of police work begins to set him down a dark path that alienates Carlos and even surprises Kiera.

Magda Apanowicz as Emily/Mia Hartwell, Alec's girlfriend. It is revealed in the second season episode "Second Degree" that she is working for Escher. She was killed by the Freelancers in pursuit of the time travel device in "Second Last". In the episode "Second Time", it is revealed that Alec likely plans to stop her death when he says "I have to save her" before activating the time travel device with an unknown destination.

Recurring Cast:

William B. Davis as the elderly Alec Sadler in 2077. In the future, Alec founded SadTech in the later twenty-first century. He has risen to head one of the largest and most powerful corporations in the world, as its owner and CEO, his influence and technology dominate the North American Union. He was also a founding father of the Global Corporate Congress, and is currently Chairman of Superior Council. Alec is responsible for the presence of both Kiera and Liber8 in 2012; in season 2 it is suggested that he regrets having founded the corporate future world, due to all that has been lost to create it, and has set a plan in motion, with Kiera at the center, to change it, or perhaps ensure it.

Richard Harmon as Julian Randol, Alec's step-brother in 2012. Later in his life, he will be known as Theseus, the founder of Liber8 and mentor to Edouard Kagame.

Hugh Dillon as Mr. Escher/Marc Sadler, ex-freelancer, Alec's father, and a shadowy figure with powerful connections, who appears to know something about Liber8 and Kiera's true origin. He has protected Kiera and seeks to form an alliance with her, however his true motives are as yet unclear. In "Second Time", he revealed himself to be Alec's father.

Ian Tracey as Jason Sadler, an alleged former employee of the same prison where Liber8 escaped from, thrown back in time to 1992, rather than 2012. His sanity isn't quite intact from his prolonged time alone; he has hinted that he has learned that there are other time travelers, capable of going back and forth through time, that are present in their current era, known as "Freelancers", but considering his mental state this information is of questionable accuracy. In the third episode of the second season, "Second Thoughts", it is hinted that he is Marc Sadler. It is revealed in "Second Time" that he is Alec's son in 2077 instead and that he played a major role in sending Liber8 back in time.

Many of these characters have been killed but given that this is a time travel show it?s a pretty safe bet some or none of them stay dead.

And now some gifs, because who doesn?t like gifs? Also if anyone has a gif of the season 2 scene of Emily beating the poo poo out of that dude please post it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gonna assume we're still in spoiler mode for tonight's premiere.

I was a little confused when freelancer Kiera shot other Kiera. Was that just to eliminated the complications of two Kieras? Also I think Alec has gone loving insane.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was a little confused when freelancer Kiera shot other Kiera. Was that just to eliminated the complications of two Kieras? Also I think Alec has gone loving insane.

I thought Kiera was the one that went insane, I thought she was going to kill Alec at the end of the episode, thankfully we have a full season to figure out who's the insane one. Also with the Time Travel backwards, does this negate Carlos joining Julian at the end of the previous season now that the Freelancers no longer frame Kiera and cause him to leave the PD?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
:stare:

Welp

Is it Sunday yet?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fetus Tree posted:

Is it Sunday yet?

Pretty sure it's Monday.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spoiler about next week's preview it seemed to imply that Kiera did not kill her other self, since she was yelling at Alec that he caused it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress I need to clean up the OP. Katherine, the freelancer woman seems to imply that one Alec would have to go. My first instinct is that it will be scar face Alec since future Alec didn't have a scar but because time travel who the gently caress knows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the gently caress....

As a sci-fi fan i can honestly say, i'm confused.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

gently caress I need to clean up the OP. Katherine, the freelancer woman seems to imply that one Alec would have to go. My first instinct is that it will be scar face Alec since future Alec didn't have a scar but because time travel who the gently caress knows.

I don't think it'll be that simple. I think it's just gonna end up being whichever one is cooperative with Kira & presumably the other freelancers if Kira is really down with them and not just "means to an end" type of deal.

Anyway excited/hopeful to see Garza playing a bigger role this seasons? They keep under using her each season. She's my favorite liber8.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still spelling words with numbers in 2077, progress.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tokubetsu posted:

Anyway excited/hopeful to see Garza playing a bigger role this seasons? They keep under using her each season. She's my favorite liber8.

Mine too, Garza is awesome.

And that's how you open a season :drat:

Woden
May 6, 2006
Wasn't a fan of how last season ended, I really liked the whole anti-corp stuff going on and Freelancers sounded like some dumb new boogyman crap to scare everyone.

I was so wrong.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe, maybe not. It feels like the Freelancer idea was only properly hashed out for season 3.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show has a tendency of throwing out ideas and even characters which seem half-assed but become brilliant like ten episodes afterwards. I'm super intrigued by the Freelancers now, their organization seems awesome. You never know who or what becomes important, Curtis has been out for what, more then one and half seasons? I also love that this show completely runs with the idea that with time travel death isn't really that big a deal.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 17, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I have absolutely no idea where this show is going but I love it. Continuum is the only show (apart from Always Sunny) that I always always watch as soon as I can rather than putting it off for days/weeks

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, yeah, that was insane. I have no idea what's going on anymore, other than Keira seems to have become actively hostile to the world around her. Which, umm, seems inevitable in retrospect.

Garza loving rules.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a hell of a series premiere. I'm hooked.

To paraphrase a goon from the previous thread, this is all because Alec fell madly in love with the first girl to touch his dick lol.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
This is a show that's thrown a lot of curveballs, and then the ball has spun a totally different direction mid curve before. I have little doubt that it wasn't Alt-Kiera that shot Past-Kiera, but butterfly effect from Alec loving with things already. Though we've already seen Kiera going more and more toward the dark side as the series progresses (her handling of Julian especially), so it's possible, but it seems too easy. Loving that just when you thought the time travel show was already complicated enough, they add in alt timelines and time-displaced duplicates into the mix.

drat I so love this show. Strong opener.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That was a hell of a series premiere. I'm hooked.

To paraphrase a goon from the previous thread, this is all because Alec fell madly in love with the first girl to touch his dick lol.

To be fair she's a pretty hot redhead and a total badass so I don't blame him one bit.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To be fair she's a pretty hot redhead and a total badass so I don't blame him one bit.

These are both very compelling arguments.

I think I need to watch last night again, I'm hoping a rewatch will remove some of the wtf I feel, but I'm thinking based on your guys' reactions perhaps not.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I've been thinking about the nature of time travel in the series. They show the tree with all the different time-lines, suggesting multiple alternate realities can and do exist beside each other, but then later on the reality Kira is in disintegrates. Why wouldn't that happen every time someone travels back in time, but only when Alex does it? When does traveling back in time cause a split (always or only when there is sufficient change to prevent the time-travel event from taking place?) and when does it result destruction of the original time-line?

I'm thinking that collapse of the original time-line happens if the time-traveler:
1. is vital for the existence of time-travel in the future
2. travels back into time due to the actions of another time-traveler who could only travel due to condition 1

No Alex in the future, means future Kira can't travel back into the past, which means Alex would have no reason to go back in time in the first place. This creates a paradox that is not resolved by allowing for splitting of time (I think... brain hurts at this point). Since Kira doesn't disappear, we have to assume that while a time-lines can disappear due to a paradox, the people that cause them can continue to exist in other time-lines.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Escher pop up again. If you have a functioning time machine you could use that to make many duplicates of yourself and then send them to every single time period (where they could repeat the same procedure).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Piriwi posted:

I've been thinking about the nature of time travel in the series. They show the tree with all the different time-lines, suggesting multiple alternate realities can and do exist beside each other, but then later on the reality Kira is in disintegrates. Why wouldn't that happen every time someone travels back in time, but only when Alex does it? When does traveling back in time cause a split (always or only when there is sufficient change to prevent the time-travel event from taking place?) and when does it result destruction of the original time-line?

I'm thinking that collapse of the original time-line happens if the time-traveler:
1. is vital for the existence of time-travel in the future
2. travels back into time due to the actions of another time-traveler who could only travel due to condition 1

No Alex in the future, means future Kira can't travel back into the past, which means Alex would have no reason to go back in time in the first place. This creates a paradox that is not resolved by allowing for splitting of time (I think... brain hurts at this point). Since Kira doesn't disappear, we have to assume that while a time-lines can disappear due to a paradox, the people that cause them can continue to exist in other time-lines.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Escher pop up again. If you have a functioning time machine you could use that to make many duplicates of yourself and then send them to every single time period (where they could repeat the same procedure).

The reason the timeline only collapsed when Alex left is because he is a much more important person to the history of the world than most people. I think they had a brief line or two explaining it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Spacebump posted:

The reason the timeline only collapsed when Alex left is because he is a much more important person to the history of the world than most people. I think they had a brief line or two explaining it.

"Thousands can die, but it only takes one to change history."

Btw, now that the episode has aired, do we still need spoilers?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2014

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I got that, but it's not a very precise explanation. I'm hoping that the creators of the show put a bit more thought into it than just that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That episode was really great and made me hyoed up for the rest of the season.
I wonder if that first templar will be someone we have seen. They made quite a big deal out of the fact that one man went back a millenium, rather than an unspecified group of people. Maybe it's Keiras son. Just a random thought.
But man, I really want to see how he did that now! He went to the medieval times with some future weapons and knowledge, to build a secret cult, which "protects" the time line.

Ravane posted:

Btw, now that the episode has aired, do we still need spoilers?

Well, it didn't air in the USA yet. But I think we should act based on the Canadian shedule.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pretty sure that's how it's always worked in the past just, once the episode airs its fair game for spoilers. I'll PM Deadpool to get some clarification and perhaps a thread title update.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Good call on Escher probably coming back, he died way too easily and the "always here" quote seemed pretty foreboding.

Air is lava! posted:

That episode was really great and made me hyoed up for the rest of the season.
I wonder if that first templar will be someone we have seen. They made quite a big deal out of the fact that one man went back a millenium, rather than an unspecified group of people. Maybe it's Keiras son. Just a random thought.
But man, I really want to see how he did that now! He went to the medieval times with some future weapons and knowledge, to build a secret cult, which "protects" the time line.

Well, it didn't air in the USA yet. But I think we should act based on the Canadian shedule.
Pretty sure the Freelancers started around 2150, the quote was 100 years after Keira was born so I doubt it's her son that went back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last year we didn't do spoilers after the Canadian version aired, it'll be the same this year.

Also that episode loving ruled.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah I thought this was already decided in the last thread that spoiler-tagging this show for the Americans that are actually watching it late was kinda weak

I don't think anybody wants walls of black text

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I suspect any serious American fans are going to use :files: anyway.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

eriktown posted:

Or barring that maybe just don't click on a thread for a TV show that is made and aired in another country before it airs in their own

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That certainly was a premiere. I thought for sure that it was Emily who killed Keira at the end.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man I love time travel but does someone have a chart?

Since the same events happen across infinite timelines, Kiera can drop into any one and make it the "real" one right? But in each new one she'll have the same problem of doubles, unless she jumps to a time after she kills them or w/e?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I need to rewatch this- and will tonight- but do doubles cause some sort of cosmic fuckery?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Fetus Tree posted:

I need to rewatch this- and will tonight- but do doubles cause some sort of cosmic fuckery?

Usually letting your double see you is warned against because they would go mad at seeing a copy of themselves. In this can it can be some other things because the doubles are already aware of time travel, like both Kieras wouldn't be able to go to the same future, which can cause issues between them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

They've also established that time travel can cause some type of psychosis. Alec is on his first time around but Kiera is on her second so perhaps she is losing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure that's how it's always worked in the past just, once the episode airs its fair game for spoilers. I'll PM Deadpool to get some clarification and perhaps a thread title update.

I'm not familiar with how it worked in the past, but if that worked then keep using it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Our lord and savior Deadpool hath spoken.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Woden posted:

Pretty sure the Freelancers started around 2150, the quote was 100 years after Keira was born so I doubt it's her son that went back.

Ah. I must have misheard. Because I heard 50 years, which would have been a reasonable time frame. Well, too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

eriktown posted:

I suspect that as well.

• Locked thread